GFW Daily Deals 12/2 -12/7 (FINAL DEAL: Max Payne 2 $1)

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
cboxmaxpayne2.jpg

DAY 6 DEAL (Final Day): Max Payne 2

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne delivers the most intense gameplay experience imaginable. The fierce, yet stylish action sequences and slow-motion gunplay that has become synonymous with Max Payne is back and better than ever. New and enhanced moves and options provide breathtaking cinematic game play"

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/
:bouncy:

No Achievements for this one! :cry:

Note: Max Payne 2 is THE FINAL deal in this series of Daily Deals. There will be no "Daily Deal" on December 8th!

Previous Deals:
Day 1: Deus Ex for $0.99 (discussed until post #53)
Day 2: Shadowrun for $0.99 (discussed until post #97)
Day 3: Viva Pinata for $0.99
Day 4: Blacklight Tango Down for $0.99
Day 5: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='avwjase']Has anyone purchased this and know whether it contains any DLC etc...?

Reason I ask is that Fear 2 included Reborn despite it not saying that anywhere and that forced me to buy Fear 2 on the GFWL deal. If this somehow (crosses fingers) includes any extra content that my steam version does not, I'll buy it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there was any DLC for this game.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Am I the only person who could not get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ?

I even downloaded the super mod pack thingy that gave it better graphics and fixed some bugs and yet I still can't get into the game (I think it was the map or something killed it for me)

Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I struggled with STALKER, too. It appears to be a rewarding game if you stick with it, and I generally like mission-based RPGs. but I just wasn't feeling it. Extremely long load times killed it for me; the texture pack made it prettier but even longer load times!

I think I need a gentler learning curve. As it's not the usual generic fantasy-themed RPG, there is a lot to learn as you're going. Took me a couple of hours to figure out what the batteries were for, for example. These are not bad things necessarily, but it is a barrier to entry.

I will try it again some day. I already have SoC in my Steam account, too. I have a new computer since then, which should help with the load times. I really want to like this game; I like to support smaller developers who shake things up a bit.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Don't know much about this game, but I do know I can make back the 99 cents before the game downloads and installs. :)[/QUOTE]

haha, never heard that rationale before, pretty true!

this game seems awesome, just getting it now to save for the day I can run it..I wonder what the deal of week will be? and how did we learn that these excellent daily deals will end on 12/8??

[quote name='XymerFF']Just put it in your cart it should change[/QUOTE]

That's what I told her....

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the veal!

There was no DLC for it but there was a "sequel" that probably should've just been DLC. I have the 2nd game (got it really cheap) but not the first so this may be a buy...

[quote name='JKSonic']There was no DLC for it but there was a "sequel" that probably should've just been DLC. I have the 2nd game (got it really cheap) but not the first so this may be a buy...[/QUOTE]

Two sequels were made.

Clear Sky
Call of Pripyat

I have the first and third but not clear sky. It was published by another company and my understanding is it isn't as good as the other two.

It isn't quite a great, but I still thought Clear Sky was pretty decent. It focuses more on faction fighting than investigating the zone itself. I still enjoyed it a little bit. It is going for $4 on Gamersgate right now, can't really lose at that price.

Stalker is definitely the best game I played this year, and the scariest game I've played in a decade. Fantastic game. If you've ever found yourself complaining about "stale gaming experiences" or "all FPSes are the same nowadays" you must buy this game. However, this man speaks the truth:

[quote name='Metalic']

Everyone install Stalker Complete for the full experience.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009
it is a must

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Absolutely. Please don't come back here saying that I (and others) are wrong to like the game if you haven't installed any mods. If you still don't like the game after installing this, that's fine, it's not for everybody -- it doesn't hold your hand, it's bleak, it's hard, it can be somewhat directionless at times -- but without this mod you haven't really played the full game.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy bought my afternoon coffee today, now I can afford this game with some change left over! haha...

[quote name='yruluis']You have to updated stalker to 1.0.5 to install stalker complete. How do I update the game?[/QUOTE]
In the lower corner of the main menu it should say 1.0005. That is the "level" that stalker needs to be at to install complete 09. So just go ahead and install it because the game was automatically at that update level.

I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R...

Way to play to my weakness of spending money on cheap games I'm not incredibly interested in, GFW.

[quote name='Blade']I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R...

Way to play to my weakness of spending money on cheap games I'm not incredibly interested in, GFW.[/QUOTE]

QFT, man QFT....

Loving these dollar deals. The only ones I haven't bought so far were the MP only (Shadowrun and Blacklight) I wish these dollar deals would continue until they run out of games that they can sell for a dollar.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Am I the only person who could not get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ?

I even downloaded the super mod pack thingy that gave it better graphics and fixed some bugs and yet I still can't get into the game (I think it was the map or something killed it for me)

Anyone?[/QUOTE]

You aren't the only one. I consider myself a pretty hardcore PC FPS fan (and completionist whore) but this is just one game where I found it devolved into an absolute chore to play it. I ended up dreading even firing up the game at times so I just stopped playing it altogther.

It should be said however that people absolutely love it or hate it. I hope this doesn't deter newcomers from trying out the game (especially for a dollar!), I just happened to be one of those that ended up hating it.

Not impressed with the GFW client so far. Started my Stalker download twice and within a minute or two, the client crashes. Don't suppose I could simply use the key I purchased with installation files obtained through other means?

[quote name='yruluis']I have the retail version already installed. I didnt buy it from gfw.[/QUOTE]
I typed in "stalker patch" to google and it was the first link. I literally cannot help you anymore. I sincerely hope you can figure it out from there.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Not impressed with the GFW client so far. Started my Stalker download twice and within a minute or two, the client crashes. Don't suppose I could simply use the key I purchased with installation files obtained through other means?[/QUOTE]

Yech, I don't care for it much, either. I haven't had any download crashes or stoppages, so my main comnplaint is the inability to download, like, and .exe instead of .cab files for the install. Even the Amazon Games downloader downloads an actual installer file/folder to your hard drive. Am I just missing something regarding the way to back up games purchased from the GFW client?

Having said all that, I've already purchased three or four games from them.

[quote name='BloodiestCadaver']Are there any more deals?[/QUOTE]

There SHOULD be (no "confirmation" besides logic) one Tuesday and Wednesday (both would go live 12PM EST... though the deals sometimes leak about 30 mins before that...) so there should be 2 left... and I'm guessing that they are going to close with big games.. so in 11 hours from this posting there will be another one

I wish there were more older game deals like AoE for 10 cents. I could use some cheap netbook friendly games. Unfortunately the current GfW catalog doesn't include that many classic titles I'm interested in.

I look at Stalker thinking i don't want it and then i go to CAG, read the reviews and BAM, it's downloading and i don't remember the last hour.

Damn I'm Loving these deals (As is my cousin,as I'm buying him whatever I buy :p)...Plz,plz let one of these last games be halo 2.

[quote name='Hestar']Damn I'm Loving these deals (As is my cousin,as I'm buying him whatever I buy :p)...Plz,plz let one of these last games be halo 2.[/QUOTE]

not to dash your hopes but unfortunately neither Halo 1 or Halo 2 is in the GFW library online :whistle2:/

ok, gotta give it M$... they know how to milk the cow... I got quite a few games in my GFWL account and now i'll definitely be using their client more... I also haven't downloaded any of the games as yet, so they are just collecting my money, and my M$ points are slowly varnishing. I know that M$ doesn't care for us as much as valve does though, and any opportunity they get, they'll try to wipe out the competition, try to raise the value of PC games, try to charge for online play, and who knows what else!!

One day, they'll actually get us to pay to use our computers OFFLINE.

gosh, but can't deny the deal$$

Looking through the GFW marketplace client right now. Max Payne 2 is available for $1. Looks like thats the next deal :/

[quote name='Toothpick']Looking through the GFW marketplace client right now. Max Payne 2 is available for $1. Looks like thats the next deal :/[/QUOTE]

Max Payne is a good game, but really disappointed that it isn't Fable or Gears Of War. :cry:

Max Payne 2? Bah. Just kidding. A fun game in it's day.

I still have my original Xbox copy of that if I want to give it another whirl.

bread's done
Back