GGT 134 can't wait for SNSD's new Korean album!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.allkpop.com/2011/08/snsd-confirms-korean-comeback-for-september-with-third-official-album

I like this quote:
Other entertainment labels are currently delaying comebacks and debuts in order to avoid competition with SNSD. One representative said, “All of the attention will be put on SNSD anyway, so it’s useless to go head-to-head. On top of that, it’s an official album, so there’s the possibility that they will just sweep the charts.”
:rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0hWP9Iulo

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I love Escaflowne. Yeah the series is better than the movie, but the movie is definitely good in its own right. You just have to take it on its own and not associate it with the series. Your mistake was saying something like "it tries to compress everything down to a very short length." No it doesn't. It tells a completely different story. It's not trying to retell the series. It's like saying the new X-Men movie is terrible because it changes a ton of things from the animated series. Yeah it's based on the same group of characters, but they're two completely independent entities.[/QUOTE]

I guess a better way to put it is don't watch Escaflowne the movie first, because it doesn't really do the series justice (or if you do, don't assume you wouldn't like the series because you don't like the movie).

And, it does try to tell almost the same story, I mean there are differences obviously, but the core of the story is similar but the changes they made didn't serve to improve anything from the original series. Basically the biggest offender is the love story, which just doesn't come off right at all since mysteriously two characters fall in love over a very short amount of time and with minimal interaction, whereas the love story works in the series because it's handled over a much longer time and there is MUCH more interaction between the characters (also one character isn't trying to kill the other at the start, then mysteriously has a change of heart, and in like 1-2 days decides that he actually loves her instead). It doesn't help that I didn't like emo Hitomi (i.e. "I'm going to kill myself." at the start of the movie) at all either (since she's one of my favorite characters ever, and that movie made me dislike her because she was so out of character).

I'm glad someone else has watched and enjoyed the series though. :D It seems like it's kind of overlooked.

I am really enjoying NFS: Hot Pursuit. It plays extremely well (and looks gorgeous). It does take way to long to get into a race though.

[quote name='icebeast']I guess a better way to put it is don't watch Escaflowne the movie first, because it doesn't really do the series justice (or if you do, don't assume you wouldn't like the series because you don't like the movie).

And, it does try to tell almost the same story, I mean there are differences obviously, but the core of the story is similar but the changes they made didn't serve to improve anything from the original series. Basically the biggest offender is the love story, which just doesn't come off right at all since mysteriously two characters fall in love over a very short amount of time and with minimal interaction, whereas the love story works in the series because it's handled over a much longer time and there is MUCH more interaction between the characters (also one character isn't trying to kill the other at the start, then mysteriously has a change of heart, and in like 1-2 days decides that he actually loves her instead). It doesn't help that I didn't like emo Hitomi (i.e. "I'm going to kill myself." at the start of the movie) at all either (since she's one of my favorite characters ever, and that movie made me dislike her because she was so out of character).

I'm glad someone else has watched and enjoyed the series though. :D It seems like it's kind of overlooked.[/QUOTE]
Yes the story is similar, but they're two separate things. See my example using the X-Men movies. Similar stories, but two separate things.

The love story aspect didn't bother me, but you're right that it wasn't as much put into it as the series. That's no fault of the movie though. The movie has 2 hours to tell the entire plot whereas the series has 13 hours to flesh things out. A series is going to have more character development in general. Was the love story as good as the series? Not at all. Was it perfectly good for a movie? Definitely.

As for Hitomi, again you're using the series to say how she should act. You're already doing it wrong. THE SERIES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MOVIE. I know it's tough to get that due to the same name and mostly the same characters, but stop using one to justify the other. If you use her series portrayal as a guide, then yes she's out of character. Hitomi's character in the movie is just fine, in fact it's perfect for the story they're trying to tell. She's supposed to be a foil for Folken. They're both people that feel worthless and feel that the world would be better off if it just didn't exist. Folken is the dark path that Hitomi was headed down.

I loved the movie. I did like the series better, but I feel if the movie had been made into a series it would have been far superior to the original series.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yes the story is similar, but they're two separate things. See my example using the X-Men movies. Similar stories, but two separate things.[/QUOTE]

I mean I totally get what your saying Rei, it's just hard because clearly the movie is based on the series, I just wish the movie hadn't gotten rid of much of the shoujo aspect from the series. The movie is still enjoyable to watch if you enter it with the mind set that it has very minimal to do with the original series it's based on. Again, I just don't want someone to watch the movie and assume the series is the exact same thing, which is more what my warning was about.

[quote name='heavyd853']The intro scene of the Escaflowne movie justifies its entire existence.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit the movie was well animated, and the art direction was different but interesting.

Alot of good low brow cali style art at I Am 8-Bit this year

My faves:
superiam8bit43.jpg

superiam8bit50.jpg

superiam8bit27.jpg

superiam8bit29.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/super-iam8bit-opening-night#/42

[quote name='BlueScrote']I am really enjoying NFS: Hot Pursuit. It plays extremely well (and looks gorgeous). It does take way to long to get into a race though.[/QUOTE]

What system are you playing it on?

[quote name='panzerfaust']successful house party is successful[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you.

Escaflowne movie was bad ass, the series on the other hand was pretty meh. Why the fuck is building shit so addicting? I was trying to buy the 4-pack of Terraria, but Steam was like nope, don't want your money because you already have the game. BUT I WAS TRYING TO GIVE THE DEVELOPER MORE MONEY!

[quote name='BlueScrote']I'm almost tempted to subscribe to PS+ for the savings on the PLAY Bundle thing.[/QUOTE]

It's like $15 savings to start. I have no regrets about PS+, the extra features make it worth it for me. Love the automatic updating and (now) automatic pushing of game saves to the cloud storage. I've gotten a hefty number of discounts too and the free games don't hurt, even if they're something I download so it's "on my account" and then delete (Lead and Gold :lol:).

[quote name='corrosivefrost']It's like $15 savings to start. I have no regrets about PS+, the extra features make it worth it for me. Love the automatic updating and (now) automatic pushing of game saves to the cloud storage. I've gotten a hefty number of discounts too and the free games don't hurt, even if they're something I download so it's "on my account" and then delete (Lead and Gold :lol:).[/QUOTE]
I agree, PS+ is seriously one of my best purchases in the last year.

Edit: This whole thing with it moving my saves to the cloud is weird, though. I just started my PS3 and it told me it moved 6 save files from the last week to the cloud.

Those two might be my reason why I'll buy PS+.

If they would expand the friends list to 200 and also let us tag or create groups within the friends list, I would buy it.

[quote name='ihadFG']I am really digging ACBro's multiplayer. Although I do think it might be better without the perk unlock system.[/QUOTE]

I was really surprised by how nice ACB's multiplayer was. It's a really refreshing change from standard tacked on mulitplayer.

[quote name='whoknows']What system are you playing it on?[/QUOTE]

PC. It just seems like there are too many menus between when I select a race and when I actually start racing. Select a car, select a color, loading screen, reward info menu, intro cutscene, then start race.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']It's like $15 savings to start. I have no regrets about PS+, the extra features make it worth it for me. Love the automatic updating and (now) automatic pushing of game saves to the cloud storage. I've gotten a hefty number of discounts too and the free games don't hurt, even if they're something I download so it's "on my account" and then delete (Lead and Gold :lol:).[/QUOTE]

I ended up joining it. I figure with the PS Play I'm already getting part of my money's worth. Is there anything I need to know about setting up cloud saves/auto updating?

[quote name='BlueScrote']

I ended up joining it. I figure with the PS Play I'm already getting part of my money's worth. Is there anything I need to know about setting up cloud saves/auto updating?[/QUOTE]

You may have to set them to enable in the system settings, as well as setting a time for your PS3 to auto download stuff.

[quote name='ihadFG']You may have to set them to enable in the system settings, as well as setting a time for your PS3 to auto download stuff.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll get to update and deal with this stuff tonight when I turn on my PS3 to play more DA:O Awakening.

I've been in a really strange gaming mood the past couple months. The last full game I played through was Infamous 2. I've just been playing pieces of games here and there (JC2, NFS, Terraria). It might be time to start something more linear with a start and finish.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I've been in a really strange gaming mood the past couple months. The last full game I played through was Infamous 2. I've just been playing pieces of games here and there (JC2, NFS, Terraria). It might be time to start something more linear with a start and finish.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been much the same.

Played 3 hours or so of Bowser's Inside Story and got bored with it and haven't touched it.

Put 3 or so hours into AC: Brotherhood and got annoyed and shelved it.

I'm 3 hours or so into Fable 3 currently but haven't gotten motivated to play it the past week or so.

I put 5 or so hours into Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes but haven't got back to it since that first marathon session.

I did play through and finish Bulletstorm 2 or 3 weeks ago at least.

Other wise I've just been playing Black Ops multiplayer once a week or so and that's been about it. Other than a little NBA Jam etc. here and there on the iPad to kill time. Oh, and a little Gears 2 horde to knock out some achievements the other week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really surprised with Terraria. It grabbed me much more than Minecraft did.

EDIT: this is how you turn on the PSN+ features with 3.70

6027024489_5dc76cc708_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BlueScrote']I was really surprised with Terraria. It grabbed me much more than Minecraft did.[/QUOTE]

Duh 2d>3d.

I'm just playing, I can barely build in 2d, 3d would be a joke.

[quote name='j-cart']I'm just playing, I can barely build in 2d, 3d would be a joke.[/QUOTE]

Actually building stuff, for me at least, was far simpler in 3D than 2D since everything in Minecraft is basically a block and you just stack them how you want (kind of like building with Legos) so it's simpler than dealing with the different layers in Terraria (from my experience doing the walls was a royal pain).

How's Zelda: Spirit Tracks on DS?

I forgot I'd put it on my Goozex requests a while back thinking I might get it before a vacation in June, and just got matched up for it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']How's Zelda: Spirit Tracks on DS?

I forgot I'd put it on my Goozex requests a while back thinking I might get it before a vacation in June, and just got matched up for it.[/QUOTE]

I liked it slightly more than Phantom Hourglass... which I hated.

That's good to hear. I didn't hate Phantom Hourglass, but I didn't care for it all that much either. Was just kind of a "meh" game with the annoying Ocean King temple redundancy etc.

We'll see if I can get motivated to play it. I should just send Bowser's Inside Story off on Goozex as I don't see myself getting back to that one.

Unfortunately the train parts in Spirit Tracks are boring as shit. Other than that, it's still a solid game, although it didn't grab me like some other Zelda games.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I ended up joining it. I figure with the PS Play I'm already getting part of my money's worth. Is there anything I need to know about setting up cloud saves/auto updating?[/QUOTE]

Turn on auto update in the system settings and select the time window you wish it to do it. It should be self sufficient from there.

After you're on 3.70 fw, it should prompt you about saving games to the cloud automatically... mine did when I booted MK9.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Turn on auto update in the system settings and select the time window you wish it to do it. It should be self sufficient from there.

After you're on 3.70 fw, it should prompt you about saving games to the cloud automatically... mine did when I booted MK9.[/QUOTE]
Do you know if there's a way to turn it off from auto updating shit? It keeps auto updating DCUO for me and I'm getting sick of it because I'm not playing it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's good to hear. I didn't hate Phantom Hourglass, but I didn't care for it all that much either. Was just kind of a "meh" game with the annoying Ocean King temple redundancy etc.

We'll see if I can get motivated to play it. I should just send Bowser's Inside Story off on Goozex as I don't see myself getting back to that one.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of sad for me to hear someone say that they are kind of looking forward to a mediocre (although I haven't played it) Zelda game over Bowser's Inside Story which I love. I mean I can understand some people just don't get into certain games, but it's still kind of funny that you're voicing interest in a game generally regarded as just alright over it.

[quote name='icebeast']It's kind of sad for me to hear someone say that they are kind of looking forward to a mediocre (although I haven't played it) Zelda game over Bowser's Inside Story which I love. I mean I can understand some people just don't get into certain games, but it's still kind of funny that you're voicing interest in a game generally regarded as just alright over it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought Bowser's Inside Story was pretty phenomenal, whereas Spirit Tracks was merely a good game, but nothing more.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Do you know if there's a way to turn it off from auto updating shit? It keeps auto updating DCUO for me and I'm getting sick of it because I'm not playing it.[/QUOTE]

I think it does auto updates for games you've played in the past month or something... I'd say delete it, but the install was huge. as long as it's doing it at night while you're sleeping, just ignore it. ;)

I think that I will finally crack open my copy of Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. I got that it for free a few months ago and haven't even tried it yet.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I think it does auto updates for games you've played in the past month or something... I'd say delete it, but the install was huge. as long as it's doing it at night while you're sleeping, just ignore it. ;)[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm hoping, it's been over a month since I stopped playing it and I've been greeted twice in the past week by 500 meg updates for it, so it's like WTF? Thanks, I'll just ignore it unless it somehow keeps downloading them in the next month.

[quote name='icebeast']It's kind of sad for me to hear someone say that they are kind of looking forward to a mediocre (although I haven't played it) Zelda game over Bowser's Inside Story which I love. I mean I can understand some people just don't get into certain games, but it's still kind of funny that you're voicing interest in a game generally regarded as just alright over it.[/QUOTE]

I just couldn't get into it. The dialogue and plot was juvenile and annoying, and I don't care for turn based combat RPGs anymore. I'm must not much for cartoony Nintendo games anymore. Especially RPGs as I have to care about the plot to keep going in those.

And, honestly, I'm not particularly interested in Zelda either given that I didn't care for the last DS game much. If I'd remembered I'd listed it I'd have deleted it after I didn't end up getting it from Goozex before my trip in June.

But since it's already been shipped out, I'll give it a chance and just flip it back on Goozex if I don't like it.

[quote name='dmaul1114'] The dialogue and plot was juvenile and annoying
[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree with that part. While the writing was generally lighthearted and child-friendly, I thought it was very well written and humourous. I guess you kind of have to be in the right mood for that kind of thing though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I just couldn't get into it. The dialogue and plot was juvenile and annoying, and I don't care for turn based combat RPGs anymore. I'm must not much for cartoony Nintendo games anymore.[/QUOTE]
I completely agree with you. The game just felt childish and when it wasn't feeling like that it was trying too hard to be funny. I really don't see the appeal of those games to anyone over the age of 12.

This thread needs more K-bitches dancing for me. :drool:

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Damn skippy. Wait. Why? What are we talking about? This seems really fucking random.[/QUOTE]
Remember, strike it rich. The key is love.

Save everybody from way up above. :bouncy:

[quote name='BlueScrote']I've been in a really strange gaming mood the past couple months. The last full game I played through was Infamous 2. I've just been playing pieces of games here and there (JC2, NFS, Terraria). It might be time to start something more linear with a start and finish.[/QUOTE]
Same. Last game I finished was Breath of Death VII. ^__^ Before that? Shadows of the Damned.

I'm currently blasting through Crysis 2. Game is fucking sweet. PC version, of course. :bouncy:

I love going stealth, running up to peeps, and point blanking them with my shotty before they know what's happening. So good.

[quote name='panzerfaust']successful house party[/QUOTE]
house-party.jpg

[quote name='ihadFG']I'd have to disagree with that part. While the writing was generally lighthearted and child-friendly, I thought it was very well written and humourous. I guess you kind of have to be in the right mood for that kind of thing though.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the writing certainly wasn't ground breaking or deep, but I enjoyed it and there were plenty of moments that made me laugh. But, I think you're right, you have to have the right frame of mind to enjoy this type of humor (kind of like Bulletstorm actually).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back