GGT #42 will be playing Halo Reach with TMK

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Beef, I didn't know you were an idiot. How bout that.[/QUOTE]
8vydtc.gif

The fact that Ace Combat may be returning to the glory that was Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies is enough for me to forget what happened to DMC.

Will the next one have Puddle of Mud?

Lara Croft and the GoL's in-game achievements make me feel like a moron. "Reach the exit in 9:00." It took me 40 minutes. >_>

Really fun tho, and I like that it shows you all the levels from the start, so you know how far you are in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BlueScrote']I'm looking for some advice from home theater experts.

I have a TV with an optical audio ouput. I'd like to get a receiver(?) so that I can eventually get a surround sound system and be able to plug in a standard headphone jack and listen to my TV's audio.

Currently this is the only audio output my TV has.

Is a receiver what I want? How much should I be expecting to shell out for something like that?[/QUOTE]I've been drinking and am very sleepy, so I'll try to be coherent.

Well, there's a ton of options.
If all you want is to be able to use headphones for your TV, then you can get a little device to turn that optical into a regular headphone jack. There's some that even support Dolby Headphone which will take the 5.1 signal from your TV for virtual surround in your headphones.

If you want a full speaker setup for surround sound in your room,then, yeah, a receiver is the way to go.
They range in price of course for the features and quality, but if you just want a basic one that has video and audio inputs/outputs, maybe $200-$300. And have at least two speakers, for Left and Right.
Then just build and add to that.

It's better to spend the majority of your budget on quality headphones or speakers than it is on the electronics.
Sorry if none of this helps.

[quote name='dallow']I've been drinking and am very sleepy, so I'll try to be coherent.

Well, there's a ton of options.
If all you want is to be able to use headphones for your TV, then you can get a little device to turn that optical into a regular headphone jack. There's some that even support Dolby Headphone which will take the 5.1 signal from your TV for virtual surround in your headphones.

If you want a full speaker setup for surround sound in your room,then, yeah, a receiver is the way to go.
They range in price of course for the features and quality, but if you just want a basic one that has video and audio inputs/outputs, maybe $200-$300. And have at least two speakers, for Left and Right.
Then just build and add to that.

It's better to spend the majority of your budget on quality headphones or speakers than it is on the electronics.
Sorry if none of this helps.[/QUOTE]

Definitely helps point me in the right direction. Now to figure out what kind of (cheap) receiver to get.

I need something that converts my optical out to RCA jacks. I think that's what I need-- I have my PS3 hooked into my TV, the only option is an optical out, no rca jacks--but I wanna get the sound from the TV to my rca-jack only speakers. I hate not being able to use my Swans M-10s on my TV. The only thing I've found is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284732202&sr=8-1

but people say it won't process a 5.1 signal at all. Most games only do dolby digital or whatever these days, so it might not be useful.

Played lots of Reach yesterday. Finished off the campaign on normal, then played lots of Firefight and multiplayer.

I can definitely say it's the best of the Halo games--in all but story anyway. Campaign is much better paced, no flood, awesome space fight level etc., but story is a bit thin. Multiplayer is definitely the best, just a crazy amount of modes, Firefight in matchmaking etc.

[quote name='dallow']Do you care about OTA tv sound on your speakers?

If not, just run RCAs from ps3 to them for games and movies.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I don't watch regular TV. I don't have a remote for my speakers though, so I'd have to get up and adjust. and I'm constantly messing with the volume.

I haven't gone to class on fridays since the start of the semester -- instead I sleep in, put on a pot of coffee, and browse GGT.

I'm on the road to failure.

In that case ninjaD, it doesn't matter since the TV can't output DD from external sources anyway, only from broadcast TV.
Anything your ps3 sends to the TV will be output as stereo.

That device seems overpriced though.

I watched that gameplay video for Castlevania: LoS and I think it honestly looks pretty good. The setting seems very engrossing, and I love that there's werewolves. However, I am a little hesitant about buying it at full price because I have a feeling it will drop pretty quickly.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Will the next one have Puddle of Mud?

Lara Croft and the GoL's in-game achievements make me feel like a moron. "Reach the exit in 9:00." It took me 40 minutes. >_>[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt the same way the first time through on all the levels. The second trip, though, is much easier and you should be able to beat the times. The time achievements on some of the puzzles are ridiculous, though.

[quote name='dallow']In that case ninjaD, it doesn't matter since the TV can't output DD from external sources anyway, only from broadcast TV.
Anything your ps3 sends to the TV will be output as stereo.

That device seems overpriced though.[/QUOTE]

awesome!

It is totally overpriced, but apparently no one makes them. I think the speakers themselves were $70 or less, can't remember how much I paid. I think I'll get it.
On the downside, now I won't have a free jack to hook to my iphone when I wanna listen on my speakers. Argh! Maybe I have a splitter somewhere.

I got a kick out of the little cameo in the New Alexandria mission in reach. But I did expect him to show up sooner.

[quote name='Chacrana']loooong week, but it's over. Gonna drink alcohol and watch Yu Yu Hakusho and play Yakuza 3. Cuz I'm seriously tired as fuck, yo.[/QUOTE]
I really need to finish up YYH. I've got the last 2 seasons sitting in my room unopened.

The Retronauts podcast is ending? I'm sad...

I'd like to buy Move, but I really want to finish up some more games first. I just beat Battlefield Bad Company 2, so I'm now going to start Spidey.

Btw, why can't we register on Neogaf with a free e-mail account? I don't have anything besides a aol, hotmail, yahoo e-mail, so apparently I cant register >.>

[quote name='panzerfaust']Doesn't sound outrageous, being that we know it's actually coming now.[/QUOTE]

We all know the release date should be April 1st, 2011.

That Monster Hunter PSP makes me wonder if Sony will release a Dualshock 3 with concave sticks anytime soon.

I might get the Move bundle... but thats the only way I'll get the move.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Weird guys, I just put in the YYH GBA game earlier. It's bad.[/QUOTE]
A bad game based of an anime? color me shocked.

[quote name='Cheska19']Btw, why can't we register on Neogaf with a free e-mail account? I don't have anything besides a aol, hotmail, yahoo e-mail, so apparently I cant register >.>[/QUOTE]
To prevent multiple troll accounts, I would imagine. Just use your ISP email account.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I remember playing through a Yu Yu Hakusho SRPG for the GBA that was decent enough for me to beat.[/QUOTE]

I always wanted that one. Tournament Tactics. I have the isometric one that's just called "Spirit Detective".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back