Girl meets world: Renewed for Season 2!

I enjoy the occasional episode of Jessie.
I like Jessie. At least it has jokes... And Debby Ryan.

This was awful. It had like three jokes for the whole episode. The pacing sucked and the whole plot was basically shoved in our faces, especially every time they mentioned "world".

"I know you're going to the subway so I'm going to stop you, make references to Boy Meets World while blatantly trying to establish the characters and setting, then let you go."

- Ben Savage

So I just saw the pilot episode the other day.

It has potential.  Mr. Feeny's (sp?) cameo was REAL brief.  He might be considered *dead* during this time frame so Corey might have seen a ghost of him.  The series doesn't start for awhile but the previews show Minkus (sp?) coming back, nerdier than ever...which I thought was too much of a spoiler.  I will have my DVR set for this one for sure. 

Just saw part of an episode, don't remember if I ever watched Boy meets World so opinion may be different. It seemed, well like a Disney show. A couple more decent jokes then I'd expect, hate laugh tracks (don't all Disney shows have those though?).

Agree near the end it felt like they were trying to say world as much as possible.

The thing that I think differentiates it so far from the other Disney shows is the subject matter. From what the writers said they will tackle similar tough topics that no other kids show covers right now.

Most of the shows for kids these days are shallow and don't offer much, seems like they want to do a little more

I decided today that I like it. It's definitely a bit Disney-fied, but I think they're doing a real good job of keeping the spirit of Boy Meets World. Last episode, I thought, "why does her friend have an old flip phone?" And they came back to it and addressed it as part of the character not having or being able to afford everything the other students may be able to. Definitely a Sean-type character detail.

Wow. Liv and Maddie is better. Liv and Maddie sucks.

The Jessie episode was good. Debby Ryan was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three episodes in and there's been three boy-focused plots.

Boy Meets World had relationship plots, but had many episodes, most early on, that didn't focus on Cory's love life.

So far, Girl Meets World fails because it totally bombs the The Bechdel Test. Maybe it's because I'm watching a show aimed at pre-teen girls... but I like to think they care about something besides boys too.

Yep. Boy Meets World was about a boy who thought he knew the world and misconceptions usually got him into trouble. He was very intelligent and he eventually learned his lessons by gaining different perspectives. The last few seasons focused more on "tushie" and Eric's stupidity even though it was well-established that he was about as intelligent as (or even more than) Cory.

Tonight's episode was pretty great. In spite of the fact that a school dance played a main part of the story, there was minimal "boy" focus.

So watched the first three episodes finally and I wouldn't call them boy focused plots.

The first it felt more a subplot, with the main being Riley trying to be like Maya and the friendship stuff etc. That and saying world every 5 seconds.

Second one it was part of the plot but didn't feel it was the focus. You could argue it wasn't needed, since you can replace it pretty easily without killing the plot. Despite that, the message was very...un-kid show or what I'd expect from one anyways.

Third one boys barely featured, well in the dating "omg boys!" stuff. Farkel (spelling?) was part of the plot but not in that way.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the actor playing the hot boy looks nothing like a middle schooler? I don't go looking at Middle School kids of course, but he looks older then most of the cast, minus the adults.

I saw him in Dog with a Blog as Avery's boyfriend in high school and he looks like a high school kid, so I also searched his age and it's weird for him to be there. About as weird as Angela in Boy Meets World.

I think the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a TGIF related show was replacing the mom on Family Matters when it moved to NBC (or CBS, whichever)

I thought that was weird, too, but I thought replacing the mom (because they looked completely different) was stranger.  Apparently, though, sitcoms have been phasing out unpopular characters for years.  On Happy Days, the main family had a big brother who was gone after a few episodes/a season.

Ha. Well, I'm happy for the cast, but I wasn't feeling the pilot at all. Seems targeted strictly at adolescent girls.

And yep, I remember when they replaced the moms on Fresh Prince & Family Matters. Shit happens, I guess. What I never understood is why they didn't at least get people who looked somewhat similar, lol.

Ha. Well, I'm happy for the cast, but I wasn't feeling the pilot at all. Seems targeted strictly at adolescent girls.

And yep, I remember when they replaced the moms on Fresh Prince & Family Matters. Shit happens, I guess. What I never understood is why they didn't at least get people who looked somewhat similar, lol.
Pilot was terrible as most pilots are... It has gotten a lot better, and I really enjoyed the last two episodes that weren't actually boy driven. One was about whether it is ok to tell white lies or lies at all, and it even touched on Maya's issues with her family. And the other was about becoming someone you are not just for popularity sake.

Agree it does seem better the farther away they get from the pilot, the pilot was pretty meh. The episodes I've seen been decent enough to want to keep watching.

I did like the second episode though, mostly due to the library and stuff about cell phones. Girl Meets Popular seemed pretty good and a differentish take on the very usual plot.

On the age differences, reading on imdb, found out Sabrina Carpenter is also 15. Wouldn't have guessed it, doesn't stand out as much to me.

Like replacing Cory's little sister on BMW? :D
Yeah I find it funny people bring up dropping characters or recast when BMW did too. :lol:

My favorite was Roseanne when they recast the older daughter and just went "I haven't seen her in so long, she looks completely different".

Yeah I find it funny people bring up dropping characters or recast when BMW did too. :lol:

My favorite was Roseanne when they recast the older daughter and just went "I haven't seen her in so long, she looks completely different".
Did she look a lot older? Like a high school guy in middle school?

The age isn't really a problem for me, I'm sure it's not unusual. Like I mentioned Carpenter fits the character age fine despite being older (to the point I was surprised to learn she was/almost was the same age as the actor playing Lucas). I would think they could find someone who looks less out of place, but maybe they didn't want that *shrugs*.

Yeah some of those casting changes are kind of funny (I looked up a few). Not that sitcoms seem to have much continuity at times. I think it's better to just write out the character unless they are important but not a TV show producers so yeah =p.

Are they still trying or making it seem Riley will hook up with Lucas? The last couple I saw they seemed to decide to move away from, "omg Lucas!! *drool*"

The age isn't really a problem for me, I'm sure it's not unusual. Like I mentioned Carpenter fits the character age fine despite being older (to the point I was surprised to learn she was/almost was the same age as the actor playing Lucas). I would think they could find someone who looks less out of place, but maybe they didn't want that *shrugs*.

Yeah some of those casting changes are kind of funny (I looked up a few). Not that sitcoms seem to have much continuity at times. I think it's better to just write out the character unless they are important but not a TV show producers so yeah =p.

Are they still trying or making it seem Riley will hook up with Lucas? The last couple I saw they seemed to decide to move away from, "omg Lucas!! *drool*"
I think she looks old. Anyway, they want rich kids who have lots of singing classes to head up their shows. That's why they got Carpenter and Blanchard.

The episode was called Girl meets Mom.  And if you had seen the episode you'd know it was the return of that character, they say it like 8 times.

I enjoyed that last episode and seeing Minkus again!  Holy Hell he looks like a stalker :p

As I was telling my wife the other day, I would NOT be surprised if Shawn was Maya's biological father....

I enjoyed that last episode and seeing Minkus again! Holy Hell he looks like a stalker :p

As I was telling my wife the other day, I would NOT be surprised if Shawn was Maya's biological father....
but then wouldn't the Matthews know Maya's mom? Don't think it would work out

I enjoyed that last episode and seeing Minkus again! Holy Hell he looks like a stalker :p

I don't think they would go that deep into the topic of illegitimate children. They haven't even had a real problem and they're a few episodes in.

bread's done
Back