Gladiator & Braveheart Blu-Rays - $7.99 after rebates for DVD owners @ BBuy

Darthjer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Yes, you have to buy both, and yes, you have to already own the DVDs, and yes, you have to mail in and wait for some rebates, but after all is said and done, you can get the new Braveheart & Gladiator Blu-Rays for $7.99 each at Best Buy thru 9/5 (Local taxes may apply).

$46 ($22.99 ea @ Best Buy)
-$10 ($10 off instantly if you buy the pair)
-$20 (Upgrade from DVD $10 rebate included in each Blu-Ray)
-------
$16 which is $8 each

I thought it's a pretty sweet deal.

I concur that is a bad ass deal. Unfortunately I discovered this deal too late, as my Braveheart from Amazon arrived today. I don't own either of the DVDs, so I'm going to pick em up off Goozex for 100 points each. I'll end up giving the DVDs to my dad, who also loves Braveheart and Gladiator.

Sidenote, what's with all the Checkpoint/Sensormatic crap on Goozex? Like I really care what kind of security device the DVD came with.

P.S. - Best Buy sent out 10% off coupons recently with a limit of 3. So really this deal can be even sweeter if you got one in the mail.

$50 - $10 - $4 - $20 = $16 or $8 each (I like to account for tax)

100 Goozex points works out to approximately $3. So if you have to do it my way, then they're actually $11 each not taking into account the joy on a father's face upon receiving Braveheart and Gladiator DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tokerblue']I'd buy both, but Gladiator has numerous issues that keep it from being a reference BluRay.[/QUOTE]

ya but it only costs a few dollars extra with this deal. If you buy just braveheart its 12.99 after rebate, if you buy both its 16.99. So gladiators only 4 bucks, which was worth it to me.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Can't wait to see the nerd rage hit this thread...[/QUOTE]

OMFG the muther fucken flaming arrows dissapear, stay away!!!! show Paramount who's boss with their half ass transfers....btw the arrows dissapear man!!!
lol I could care less, who da hell complains about dissapearing arrows, last time I checked arrows dident make Gladiator my favorite movie

How is it that you aren't mad on principle that a movie that's part of Paramount's new high end line of Blu-rays, was given so little care that missing arrows are even an issue?
Especially a popular best picture winner?

If you just want the movie on a screen at home, then buy the DVD. Blu-rays whole selling point is perfect Picture and Sound.

I will complain to Paramount until they fix it.

BTW - This is a really great deal, now if I could only find a Braveheart DVD on the cheap...

[quote name='shadowrage']How is it that you aren't mad on principle that a movie that's part of Paramount's new high end line of Blu-rays, was given so little care that missing arrows are even an issue?
Especially a popular best picture winner?

If you just want the movie on a screen at home, then buy the DVD. Blu-rays whole selling point is perfect Picture and Sound.

I will complain to Paramount until they fix it.

BTW - This is a really great deal, now if I could only find a Braveheart DVD on the cheap...[/QUOTE]

I would be somewhat upset IF I was paying MSRP of $39.99 for Gladiator, but Im paying $8...

I'm going to buy Gladiator anyways (because I want to!) but it is pretty lame that they screwed up the transfer. Also, I'm really tired of all the letter boxing on Blu-Rays. What the hell was the point of making HDTV's widescreen when they're still letterboxing? At least give me an option to crop it.

[quote name='bleak']I'm going to buy Gladiator anyways (because I want to!) but it is pretty lame that they screwed up the transfer. Also, I'm really tired of all the letter boxing on Blu-Rays. What the hell was the point of making HDTV's widescreen when they're still letterboxing? At least give me an option to crop it.[/QUOTE]

lol you are a idiot

look up the term "aspect ratio"

[quote name='Poor2More']I would be somewhat upset IF I was paying MSRP of $39.99 for Gladiator, but Im paying $8...[/QUOTE]
That's why I said on principle. Seriously it's something so basic.
[quote name='bleak']Also, I'm really tired of all the letter boxing on Blu-Rays. What the hell was the point of making HDTV's widescreen when they're still letterboxing? At least give me an option to crop it.[/QUOTE]
Well someone is headed in the wrong direction. Instead of asking studio to mess with movies for the rest of us go buy this thing.
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/01/16/philips-ultrawidescr.html

Or a projector with a scope set-up.

[quote name='Sporadic']lol you are a idiot

look up the term "aspect ratio"[/QUOTE]

You mean because a HDTV is 16:9 and a Theater Screen is 16:10? I already knew that. Have you noticed some Blu-Rays fill the screen nevertheless? It's a choice made by the Studio, and I think in general they tend to be making the wrong one. Thanks for your insights though.

And it wouldn't be that hard for them to just provide the option on the disc to crop, as opposed to me spending thousands of dollars on another TV with a rare and likely expensive aspect ratio.

What's with all the crankiness tonight? I didn't expect my critique of letterboxing to ruffle two feathers in a matter of minutes.

lol @ nerd rage. YOU WANT QUALITY? WHAT ARE YOU, A NERD!?

[quote name='bleak']Have you noticed some Blu-Rays fill the screen nevertheless? It's a choice made by the Studio, and I think in general they tend to be making the wrong one. [/QUOTE]

You still don't understand. It's not a choice made by the studio, it's a choice made by the director, and again, it's the aspect ratio.

Read up

Oh, and if you want to get rid of letterboxing, get a TV with a zoom or expand function.

Thanks lolwut? for posting what I was about to post. As far as Gladiator on Blu I'll wait until its done right. Meaning no excessive noise removal to the point of where people's skin lack detail on close ups. Its really bad when the extended scenes are in better quality compared to the theatrical scenes on the same disc.

picked em up today great deal.. just finished watching gladiator... excellent movie... i didnt know about arrows till right now.. pretty crappy... but i guess..
I hope braveheart is not flawwed

[quote name='eau']What do you have to cut out and send in with the rebate forms?[/QUOTE]
POP tab from the DVD and BD.
[quote name='Burchamj']
I hope braveheart is not flawwed[/QUOTE]
You will be upset with Gladiator for sure once you see Braveheart - it looks like they went back and filmed the whole thing, it looks amazing.

[quote name='bleak']
Sidenote, what's with all the Checkpoint/Sensormatic crap on Goozex? Like I really care what kind of security device the DVD came with.
[/QUOTE]

The listings are based off of the UPCs, which are different for each security device, thus 2 listings. Yes, it's annoying and complicated, but there's probably no way around it. Just make sure you list by UPC and not name or someone could neg you, and correctly, if you send the wrong one. That doesn't annoy me ANY where near as much as the canadian listings not being identified as such. I'm trying to complete my WWE collection (or near enough, anyway) and I hate the Koch releases (the canadian distribution company), and very few of them can you tell the difference. Being as they don't list a publisher, unless they are indentified, or have different release dates, it can be very hard, if not impossible, to tell which is which. As for the aspect ratio debate: ALL MOVIES SHOULD BE IN THE ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO. PERIOD. END OF STORY. We've actually come upon a new problem now. I don't remember what movie it was, but it was a movie old enough that the original release was 1:1.33 and they had cropped it to make it 1:1.85. That is just insane to me. And yeah, if you don't like bars, get a TV with zoom, wide and crop. Mine has it and cost less than $700 when I bought it in 2006. Thank you, asshat, for wanting studios to fuck up every BR release just to suit your fucked-up wants. They still make VCRs you know...

Wait, so I have to mail in my 2 disc Signature Edition of Gladiator which has DTS and all the goodies for a blu-ray? Would have settled for paying a little more if I could have just cut out the UPC and mailed that..

Plus, I think whatever 'Sapphire Series' these are touting on the cover make the box-art look hideous..i may stay away..

[quote name='bleak']You mean because a HDTV is 16:9 and a Theater Screen is 16:10? I already knew that. Have you noticed some Blu-Rays fill the screen nevertheless? It's a choice made by the Studio, and I think in general they tend to be making the wrong one. Thanks for your insights though.
[/QUOTE]

People who really love films want to see the film in the aspect ratio the DIRECTOR choose to film the movie in.

Movies filmed in 2:35:1 are going to have big black bars. 1:85:1, the other common ration, is going to fill more of a 16x9 TV and the black bars aren't really noticeable as they're so thin. Some other rations like 1:78:1 have barely any. It doesn't have anything to do with theater screen size. It has to do with the director's choice of aspect ratio. Why do you think theaters have curtains that move to make the screen wider or narrower? Because not all films are shot in the same aspect ratio!

And no, studios shouldn't be cropping movies to fill 16x9 TVs. They should leave the directors art alone, and not change it to fit the size of TV screens.

The director picked the aspect ratio, as that's the way they wanted to film their movie and the way they wanted people to see it.

And, as others said, people who don't care about seeing the movie as the director intended can just use the zoom or crop functions built into most every HDTV if they want to see a butchered version of the film.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Great deal, but like others, I'll still just wait for Gladiator to get the treatment it deserves.[/QUOTE]Same here.

I'm all over Braveheart, however.

couple questions here for a potential 1st time blu ray purchaser

does it matter which version of braveheart I own on dvd for the upgrade?

do i have to mail them the dvd movies or just a upc?

thanks for any help

Are the most recent Best Buy 10% off coupons anywhere online to print out? If so, even better savings like someone said in the beginning. I searched around though and could only find coupons up to 8/31.

[quote name='bleak']You mean because a HDTV is 16:9 and a Theater Screen is 16:10? I already knew that. Have you noticed some Blu-Rays fill the screen nevertheless? It's a choice made by the Studio, and I think in general they tend to be making the wrong one. Thanks for your insights though.

And it wouldn't be that hard for them to just provide the option on the disc to crop, as opposed to me spending thousands of dollars on another TV with a rare and likely expensive aspect ratio.

What's with all the crankiness tonight? I didn't expect my critique of letterboxing to ruffle two feathers in a matter of minutes.[/QUOTE]

That's because your 'critique' demonstrates your obvious ignorance of the matter.

[quote name='danh920']couple questions here for a potential 1st time blu ray purchaser

does it matter which version of braveheart I own on dvd for the upgrade?

do i have to mail them the dvd movies or just a upc?

thanks for any help[/QUOTE]It's just the UPC from the DVD copy, the UPC from the BR version, and that's usually it. They might need a copy of the BR purchase receipt.

[quote name='Jersiah']Are the most recent Best Buy 10% off coupons anywhere online to print out? If so, even better savings like someone said in the beginning. I searched around though and could only find coupons up to 8/31.[/QUOTE]

Those coupons only work on non sales items and do not work on new releases movies also. It says that right on the coupon and only the ones mail to you would work. Sorry but this is one coupon that can not be scanned .

Is anyone else not willing to cut off the UPC/Proof of Purchase on their case to get this deal???? I just hate not having my cases in perfect condition.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Is anyone else not willing to cut off the UPC/Proof of Purchase on their case to get this deal???? I just hate not having my cases in perfect condition.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad. I'm a little OCD when it comes to some stuff like that, too. I have definitely passed on some rebates deals in the past because of it.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Is anyone else not willing to cut off the UPC/Proof of Purchase on their case to get this deal???? I just hate not having my cases in perfect condition.[/QUOTE]

*raises hand*

while i have no problem cutting up my dvd copy to upgrade to a bluray, i definitely dont want my new BR to be missing the upc. i pass on this. will wait till i can grab it for

Braveheart looks amazing ... just in case anyone was on the fence

Didn't pick up Gladiator ... I'll wait for the inevitable corrected version

Can somebody who got the BluRays please indicate what the rebate coupons have for an expiration date? In other words, when do you need to buy them by?

[quote name='James in VA']Can somebody who got the BluRays please indicate what the rebate coupons have for an expiration date? In other words, when do you need to buy them by?[/QUOTE]
June of next year. Plenty of time.

[quote name='mietha']The listings are based off of the UPCs, which are different for each security device, thus 2 listings. Yes, it's annoying and complicated, but there's probably no way around it. Just make sure you list by UPC and not name or someone could neg you, and correctly, if you send the wrong one. That doesn't annoy me ANY where near as much as the canadian listings not being identified as such. I'm trying to complete my WWE collection (or near enough, anyway) and I hate the Koch releases (the canadian distribution company), and very few of them can you tell the difference. Being as they don't list a publisher, unless they are indentified, or have different release dates, it can be very hard, if not impossible, to tell which is which. As for the aspect ratio debate: ALL MOVIES SHOULD BE IN THE ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO. PERIOD. END OF STORY. We've actually come upon a new problem now. I don't remember what movie it was, but it was a movie old enough that the original release was 1:1.33 and they had cropped it to make it 1:1.85. That is just insane to me. And yeah, if you don't like bars, get a TV with zoom, wide and crop. Mine has it and cost less than $700 when I bought it in 2006. Thank you, asshat, for wanting studios to fuck up every BR release just to suit your fucked-up wants. They still make VCRs you know...[/QUOTE]

Well my TV cost $2000 and doesn't do that so blow me

[quote name='wampa8jedi']That's because your 'critique' demonstrates your obvious ignorance of the matter.[/QUOTE]

I just would like it better that way so sue me! I swear to God you people are unbelieveable. All I say is I want a movie to fill my whole TV, and next thing I know everyone is attacking me for ruining their picture quality! Really, I don't really give a shit, but it is kind of absurd.

[quote name='bleak']I just would like it better that way so sue me! I swear to God you people are unbelieveable. All I say is I want a movie to fill my whole TV, and next thing I know everyone is attacking me for ruining their picture quality! Really, I don't really give a shit, but it is kind of absurd.[/QUOTE]
But you are ruining the picture quality for yourself when you do that.

What you want is akin to buying a book, but wanting to either take out all of the vowels or have nothing but vowels.

Watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNcp49OdUao

There's another mini-clip with Martin Scorsese explaining it, but I can't find it.

[quote name='bleak']Well my TV cost $2000 and doesn't do that so blow me[/QUOTE]Does a TV that expensive come with a user's manual? If not, then I'd ask for your money back, since the last time I checked, my Sony KDL-52XBR6 does fill the screen if I want it to. So says the user manual. ;)

[quote name='bleak']I just would like it better that way so sue me! I swear to God you people are unbelieveable. All I say is I want a movie to fill my whole TV, and next thing I know everyone is attacking me for ruining their picture quality! Really, I don't really give a shit, but it is kind of absurd.[/QUOTE]Next time, move to the UK and buy this TV, or import it for here:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/televisions/33092/cat/gb/

Guaranteed to fill the whole TV.

I agree, Ill pass, same thing happened last week when I purchased National Treasue.

[quote name='shadowrage']But you are ruining the picture quality for yourself when you do that.

What you want is akin to buying a book, but wanting to either take out all of the vowels or have nothing but vowels.

Watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNcp49OdUao

There's another mini-clip with Martin Scorsese explaining it, but I can't find it.[/QUOTE]
That was a great video. Worked in a video store for many years, he sums it up completely.

Just went to my local BB to pick up the set. Tried to use the 10% off coupon, but it cancel out the $10 off offer. Seem like it can't be combined.

bummer, I can't find my DVD copy of Gladiator, and my DVD copy of Braveheart doesn't have a "proof of purchase" tab. I wonder if they would accept just the UPC code.

[quote name='sunnysky']bummer, I can't find my DVD copy of Gladiator, and my DVD copy of Braveheart doesn't have a "proof of purchase" tab. I wonder if they would accept just the UPC code.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can send either the proof of purchase tab or the UPC code.

Cool. I have NO problem cutting anything off my cases/inserts.
Apparently I am one of the few in this thread.
Actually, I don't like to display my discs anywhere. My 1800+ DVD's are actually all alphabetized and in Caselogic folders, tucked behind the closed doors of my entertainment center.
I do display my HD collection, but only because I have no more room in the caselogics.
Thanks for the info on the UPC acceptability.

bread's done
Back