GOG Deals Thread

[quote name='Motoki']FYI that The Longest Journey was $2.49 last year on the Steam summer sale so you may want to wait for their sale this year as it may be sub 60% that GOG might offer.

So far Syberia has not dipped below $4.99 on Steam though.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the heads up - guess I'll wait since the summer sale is just around the corner...well maybe a little further around the corner than most of us originally thought.

[quote name='KillingMachine']The Longest Journey is one of my all time favorite point and click adventure games. The story is really good. There's a lot of dialogue, so be prepared to listen to a lot of banter. If that's a big turnoff, maybe you won't like it. I also have Syberia, but to be honest I haven't sunk much time into it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it didn't grab me like TLJ did.[/QUOTE]

Nice, if it has a good story and interesting puzzles, I'm fine with a lot of dialogue...hell, I played through MGS4 with its however many hours of cut scenes. :razz:

Already have physical copy of Septerra Core; but i can vouch for it being a pretty awesome game. Definitely worth it for anyone who is a little bit interested.

I was hoping for Arkania at 60% off just because I grabbed Septerra Core for 60% off during last summer's promo. Ah well, I've got enough to tide me over until the game's inevitable 50% off or better sale. Looks like I'll probably be picking up TLJ tomorrow, since it's assuredly the top pick at this point.

I won't waste my e-breath going on about all the games I hope they discount, but I'd love a 60% drop on either Little Big Adventure game.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I was hoping for Arkania at 60% off just because I grabbed Septerra Core for 60% off during last summer's promo. Ah well, I've got enough to tide me over until the game's inevitable 50% off or better sale. Looks like I'll probably be picking up TLJ tomorrow, since it's assuredly the top pick at this point.

I won't waste my e-breath going on about all the games I hope they discount, but I'd love a 60% drop on either Little Big Adventure game.[/QUOTE]
I'd pick up Arkania now if you want it. GOG deals are pretty few and far between, and when they do pop up they're only for a handful of games usually from one publisher. Also, since GOG's prices are already quite low, the games almost never go for below 60%. The summer sales are pretty much one of the few exceptions.

It may be a very, very long time before Arkania goes on sale again. It's only a buck more than Septerra Core. ;)

You do make a good point, but I'm betting on a return of the massive winter sales spanning almost their entire catalog. Yes, that's half a year out, but I've got enough games in my backlog for probably half a decade out (so why do I buy them, anyway...?).

As a side note, I got an e-mail today advertising "The Secret World" mmo is coming out this Friday and it was written by the same person who wrote "The Longest Journey." The fact that they're using that as a marketing bullet point must bode well for the original game I'm guessing.

[quote name='Bosamba']As a side note, I got an e-mail today advertising "The Secret World" mmo is coming out this Friday and it was written by the same person who wrote "The Longest Journey." The fact that they're using that as a marketing bullet point must bode well for the original game I'm guessing.[/QUOTE]

I got into the TSW Beta this past weekend.
NO NDA's, so I'll talk a little about it.

Yes, the writing, dialogue, and voice-acting is really good in TSW...
...But the questing feels like typical MMO and ARPG stuff.

Oh, and the TSW Beta took up around 30 GB.

OP updated.

Nothing for me today, although I've only heard good things about both of these games. Looks like we've got some strategy games tomorrow. Lords of the Realm looks way more interesting, but also much more dated. Seems like the Stronghold games have been on sale elsewhere bundled together, so seeing as that one is winning by a landslide, there's definitely nothing for me tomorrow.

OP updated.

To those interested in Stronghold Crusader, you may hold up and wait for Amazon's "2K Strategy Pack" since it includes the Stronghold Collection + BOTH Civ 4 and 5 Complete Editions for $20. Pricier than this, but you're getting WAY more stuff. Lords of the Realm looks pretty interesting though.

The next two seem to be the first pair of games that break genre, as one of them is a point and click adventure game and the other a side-scrolling action RPG. These are pretty new games too and The Whispered World is $14.99. Kind of an odd day.

[quote name='Torik_Shai']So today's contest is between Two Worlds and The Witcher. And somehow, Two Worlds is winning. I find that a little upsetting.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it's because The Witcher has gone on sale for $2.50-$5 pretty frequently. Two Worlds hasn't gone on sale for as cheap as that quite as much. I'd personally rather Two Worlds would win, because of how many times The Witcher has been discounted, but that's me.. however this sale made me find out that you need to contact GOG's support just to get a multiplayer key for Two Worlds. Kinda makes me not wanna buy it, not sure why they don't just give you a key when you buy it. Apparently this applies to all games with keys like this.

[quote name='Torik_Shai']So today's contest is between Two Worlds and The Witcher. And somehow, Two Worlds is winning. I find that a little upsetting.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, but there's still plenty of time. Hoping for the best.

[quote name='sunghost']I'm guessing it's because The Witcher has gone on sale for $2.50-$5 pretty frequently. Two Worlds hasn't gone on sale for as cheap as that quite as much. I'd personally rather Two Worlds would win, because of how many times The Witcher has been discounted, but that's me.. however this sale made me find out that you need to contact GOG's support just to get a multiplayer key for Two Worlds. Kinda makes me not wanna buy it, not sure why they don't just give you one when you buy it. Apparently this applies to all games with keys like this.[/QUOTE]
Makes sense. Still, it's kinda frustrating for someone like me who doesn't have The Witcher yet to look through the comments on GOG and see everyone voting for Two Worlds even as most acknowledge that The Witcher is the better game.

Oh well. It goes on sale pretty often, you say? Maybe I'll just wait it out. My backlog is already long enough to keep me busy for the next few months anyway, that's for sure.

[quote name='Torik_Shai']Makes sense. Still, it's kinda frustrating for someone like me who doesn't have The Witcher yet to look through the comments on GOG and see everyone voting for Two Worlds even as most acknowledge that The Witcher is the better game.

Oh well. It goes on sale pretty often, you say? Maybe I'll just wait it out. My backlog is already long enough to keep me busy for the next few months anyway, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Exactly....I'm interested in the Witcher after reading everything about it, and this is the cheapest I'll be able to get it for DRM free (a major reason I skipped the retail release), I understand the logic behind the voting, but it's still stupid, especially after looking at the quality of the other game I'm like seriously Two Worlds is winning....

[quote name='sunghost']I'm guessing it's because The Witcher has gone on sale for $2.50-$5 pretty frequently. Two Worlds hasn't gone on sale for as cheap as that quite as much. I'd personally rather Two Worlds would win, because of how many times The Witcher has been discounted, but that's me.. however this sale made me find out that you need to contact GOG's support just to get a multiplayer key for Two Worlds. Kinda makes me not wanna buy it, not sure why they don't just give you a key when you buy it. Apparently this applies to all games with keys like this.[/QUOTE]

I myself had gotten it for free when GOG had it as part of a promotion where if you bought the Witcher 2 for $24.95, you'd receive The Witcher 1 at no additional charge. Of course, time machines don't exist and the deal happened last year if I recall.

[quote name='Bosamba']I myself had gotten it for free when GOG had it as part of a promotion where if you bought the Witcher 2 for $24.95, you'd receive The Witcher 1 at no additional charge. Of course, time machines don't exist and the deal happened last year if I recall.[/QUOTE]
Bosamba hit the nail on the head. The voting almost entirely controlled by longtime GOG members, so when a game has been free or a part of a promotion it's very likely not to win one of these votes. Otherwise Two Worlds wouldn't stand a chance.

That said, realize that the losing game in these votes is STILL sold at 40% off. If you want the game DRM free, a dollar or two is not too big of a deal in the long run. GOG prices are already VERY good seeing as everything is DRM free.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Bosamba hit the nail on the head. The voting almost entirely controlled by longtime GOG members, so when a game has been free or a part of a promotion it's very likely not to win one of these votes. Otherwise Two Worlds wouldn't stand a chance.

That said, realize that the losing game in these votes is STILL sold at 40% off. If you want the game DRM free, a dollar or two is not too big of a deal in the long run. GOG prices are already VERY good seeing as everything is DRM free.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's that.. and no matter where you bought it from you could get a GOG backup copy. Combine all of the various promotions and deals that The Witcher has had across all retailers and it makes the voting for Two Worlds easier to understand. That, and AFAIK GOG is the only place to get a DRM-free copy of Two Worlds.

The voting is actually remarkably close. Granted I think Two Worlds will still win, it's a pretty close race.

Two Worlds: 5168
The Witcher: 4829

For now at least. 3 hours or so to go.

I'm really debating grabbing both of these games. They're both the complete editions so it's really tempting...

I kind of want to grab the Witcher simply because it's DRM free. Sure, it's been a dollar or two cheaper before and offered in "buy this, get this" promotions, but the cheapest it's been alone has been $5 eh? And that wasn't DRM free.

Two World, I dunno. It seems like a solid title with a lot of good reviews for a measly $4. I'm not sure.

Any advice?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I'm really debating grabbing both of these games. They're both the complete editions so it's really tempting...

I kind of want to grab the Witcher simply because it's DRM free. Sure, it's been a dollar or two cheaper before and offered in "buy this, get this" promotions, but the cheapest it's been alone has been $5 eh? And that wasn't DRM free.

Two World, I dunno. It seems like a solid title with a lot of good reviews for a measly $4. I'm not sure.

Any advice?[/QUOTE]

The cheapest that I've seen it is about $2.50. With The Witcher, it doesn't matter where you buy it, as I said in my earlier post.. you can get an extra DRM-free copy from GOG using http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/ or http://www.thewitcher.com/backup/

You could buy it wherever you like (Amazon, Steam, etc.) and get the extra GOG copy for free after registering your CD-key on GOG, or showing some sort of proof of purchase.

[quote name='Idiotekque']$2.50? Yikes, where was that? Looks like I'll wait then![/QUOTE]

I checked, it was actually $2.49 and it was on Steam. That's what I paid for it. I think Amazon also had a promotion back in January where if you had one of their coupons you could get it for free (had to buy one of the games related to the coupons in december to get a coupon).

Ah, thanks. Just asked on the Steam thread, didn't see you reply here so fast. :p

So you were able to use the Steam key to redeem the DRM free copy on GOG?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Ah, thanks. Just asked on the Steam thread, didn't see you reply here so fast. :p

So you were able to use the Steam key to redeem the DRM free copy on GOG?[/QUOTE]

I had to use http://www.thewitcher.com/backup/ to request a GOG copy and it took two days. Had to enter my Steam profile name and email address tied to my Steam account.

Others have reported that their CD-key that they got from Steam worked fine here, and got their GOG copy this way: http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

But I didn't have the same luck as them, which is why I had to request a copy.

I'm actually quite interested in Another World, having enjoyed the SNES version. However, I'm trying to save up for the Steam Summer Sale, which may begin in a week or two. Is Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition worth it? Besides the graphical enhancements, what are the other improvements?

Oh yeah, and are the mechanics more responsive than they were in the SNES version?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'm actually quite interested in Another World, having enjoyed the SNES version. However, I'm trying to save up for the Steam Summer Sale, which may begin in a week or two. Is Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition worth it? Besides the graphical enhancements, what are the other improvements?

Oh yeah, and are the mechanics more responsive than they were in the SNES version?[/QUOTE]

Metacritic 82

Eurogamer gave the game a 7/10. Their main problem with the game was the fact that it's difficult, and was comparing it to Dark Souls in terms of how it just drops you into the world and you have to figure things out on you're own.

I'm kind of interested in the game myself but will be using a FAQ/Guide if i do take the plunge.

[quote name='Bosamba']Metacritic 82

Eurogamer gave the game a 7/10. Their main problem with the game was the fact that it's difficult, and was comparing it to Dark Souls in terms of how it just drops you into the world and you have to figure things out on you're own.

I'm kind of interested in the game myself but will be using a FAQ/Guide if i do take the plunge.[/QUOTE]

It's really not that hard. I beat it in the pc when it came out in the 90's

You can't call yourself a gamer if you haven't played Another World. It was and is a groundbreaking game. Its gameplay is incredibly unique, and it offers a compelling world and story that even now is rarely matched in videogames.

Do not use a guide unless you've been stuck for far too long. This game can be passed in a matter of minutes once you know what to do. If you rush through it, then you'll miss out on all the fun.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I just wish the original price wasn't $10.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. I'm too used to Steam prices these days, but I'll make exceptions for some of these GOG titles since they rarely go on sale for 60% off there. Bought Another World, I actually have the Sega CD version (haven't played my Sega CD in yearssssssssssss lol).. but back when I played it I was too young to deal with the difficulty. Figured I might as well get the "remastered" version, not sure how much better it is than the Sega CD one.

Will definitely get Sanitarium in a few hours!

[quote name='sayu']You can't call yourself a gamer if you haven't played Another World. It was and is a groundbreaking game. Its gameplay is incredibly unique, and it offers a compelling world and story that even now is rarely matched in videogames.

Do not use a guide unless you've been stuck for far too long. This game can be passed in a matter of minutes once you know what to do. If you rush through it, then you'll miss out on all the fun.[/QUOTE]

Shaq FU! I got home too late to pick this up after reading what you guys had posted about the game. Ah well.

Sanitarium $3.99 (60% off)
Scratches Directors Cut $5.99 (40% off)

Next Round
The Incredible Machine Mega Pack
vs.
Spacechem

As of the time of this post, The Incredible Machine has a pretty sizable lead.

I got so excited about Sanitarium. I mean 60% off! And then, I realized it will be 50% off come New Year's and the difference is only a dollar and I probably wont get around to it until then at the very earliest. So pass for now. GOG's psychological game almost got me.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']then, I realized it will be 50% off come New Year's [/QUOTE]

Does GOG have a storewide sale on New Years? I didn't pay attention this year but if that's the case there are some games I would pick up if they don't go on sale between now and then.

[quote name='Bosamba']Does GOG have a storewide sale on New Years? I didn't pay attention this year but if that's the case there are some games I would pick up if they don't go on sale between now and then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not just on New Year's, but for like a week or two before new year's through new year's every game is 50% off. At least that's been the case the last few years.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yeah, it's not just on New Year's, but for like a week or two before new year's through new year's every game is 50% off. At least that's been the case the last few years.[/QUOTE]

That's great. Thanks for the information :bow:.

bread's done
Back