GOG Deals Thread

I just want to take the chance to point out how ridiculously boring this sale has become. The first round was pretty good (sans missing every freebie... if they're even real), but this round is like watching a movie download on dialup.
Its definitely annoying that they put so many copies out there to probably half the audience they had at the start, but I do like that its tempting me to try out games I would never bother with otherwise, at least

I still want to grab NWN 2
I'm sorry to say, Neverwinter Nights 2 has already had it's final appearance of this sale.

Here again is the list of games. Included is a section of the games that have had their last appearance.

(DONE) Anodyne $2.49

(DONE) Anvil of Dawn $1.49

(DONE) Aquanox 2: Revelation $1.49

(DONE) Baldur's Gate 2 Complete $1.99

(DONE) Blackwell Bundle $2.99

(DONE) Blood (One Unit Whole Blood) $1.49

(DONE) Book of Unwritten Tales $4.99

(DONE) Chaos Engine $3.29

(DONE) Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena $2.99

(DONE) Deus Ex GOTY $1.99

(DONE) Defender's Quest $2.99

(DONE) Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Ed. $22.49

(DONE) Don't Starve $4.99

(DONE) Eador. Masters of the Broken World $5.99

(DONE) Evoland $2.49

(DONE) Geneforge 1-5 $2.99

(DONE) Heroes of Might & Magic 5 bundle $4.99

(DONE) Hotline Miami $2.49

(DONE) Inquisitor $3.74

(DONE) Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within $11.99

(DONE) Leisure Suit Larry $2.49

(DONE) Lords of Midnight $1.93

(DONE) Magrunner: Dark Pulse $9.99

(DONE) Master of Magic $1.19

(DONE) Master of Orion 1+2 $1.49

(DONE) Megabyte Punch $4.99

(DONE) Might & Magic 6-pack: Limited Ed. $2.49

(DONE) Myst: Masterpiece Ed $1.49

(DONE) Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete $3.99

(DONE) Populous: The Beginning $1.49

(DONE) The Real Texas $2.99

(DONE) Reus $2.49

(DONE) Retro City Rampage $3.74

(DONE) Rogue Legacy $4.99

(DONE) Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum $5.99

(DONE) Rise of the Triad $7.49

(DONE) Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator $1.49

(DONE) Shadow Man $2.39

(DONE) Sniper Elite: Berlin 1945 $1.99

(DONE) Startopia $1.49

(DONE) Syberia $1.99

(DONE) System Shock 2 $1.99

(DONE) Tales of Monkey Island $5.24

(DONE) Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon $2.49

(DONE) Thunderscape $2.39

(DONE) Torchlight $2.99

(DONE) Total Annihilation: Commander Pack $1.49

(DONE) Total Annihilation: Kingdoms $1.49

(DONE) Two Worlds 2: Epic Ed. $3.99

(DONE) Ultima 7 The Complete Ed. $1.49

(DONE) Wing Commander 4 $1.49

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic $2.49

Alpha Centauri $1.49

Aquanox $1.49

Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut $4.99

Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga $1.99

Beyond Good and Evil $2.49

Brutal Legend $3.74

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller $10.09

Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav $3.99

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Ed $1.49

Expeditions: Conquistador $4.99

FEZ $2.99

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams $2.99

Heroes of Might & Magic 3: Complete Ed $2.49

I have No Mouth And I Must Scream $1.93

Icewind Dale Complete $1.99

Jade Empire: Special Ed $2.99

King of Dragon Pass $1.49

King's Bounty: Crossworlds GOTY $4.99

La Mulana $2.99

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver $1.49

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded $7.99

Lucius $3.99

Miasmata $2.99

Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Ed. $1.99

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident $1.99

Omerta: City of Gangsters + all DLC $7.99

Planescape: Torment $1.99

Postal 2 Complete $2.49

Primordia $2.49

Psychonauts $2.49

Puddle $1.99

Rayman Origins $4.99

Resonance $2.49

Sacred Gold $1.99

Shelter $3.99

Space Colony HD $2.49

Spellforce Platinum $2.49

Strike Suit Zero $4.99

Sword of the Stars: The Pit $2.09

Theme Hospital $1.49

Thief 2: Metal Age $1.99

Thief 3: Deadly Shadows $1.99

Thief Gold $1.99

Tomb Raider 1+2+3 $2.49

Tropico 3 Gold Ed. $2.99

Ultima Underworld 1+2 $1.49

Wargame: European Escalation $6.69

Wing Commander: Privateer $1.49

Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings $5.99

EDIT: The most recent game added to the "done" list is Hotline Miami. Anyone reposting this list should start with the games added after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to agree. Only reason I'm still sicking around is because I've let myself get talked into Space Colony HD and I'm waiting for that to show up. Once that repeats, my interest level will drop to the "I'll check in every once in a while to see what's going on" point.

Is there anything in particular that you're still looking for?
NWN1

I still want to grab NWN 2
Too late: NWN2 has already been.

Huh, figured being at work all day I would have missed a lot.  Guess things are still slow going at the tail end of the sale.  Still looking for Icewind Dale myself; unless CAG pressure gets the better of me on some other titles.

Huh, figured being at work all day I would have missed a lot. Guess things are still slow going at the tail end of the sale. Still looking for Icewind Dale myself; unless CAG pressure gets the better of me on some other titles.
That's the only game left that I'm tempted to buy.. but I'd feel incomplete without Icewind Dale 2.

I had to go out and about for a bit, and either my phone or the 4G service was being all kinds of wonky, so I was afraid I'd miss out on something good - but things sorted out and I nabbed Wing Commander 4 before that depleted. Oh happy day.

Yeah, it seems the more modern indie games aren't as popular as the classics at GOG.
Between the innumerable indie game bundles and GOG's own mega-sale bundles that put these games at roughly the same prices or even cheap, it could be that people are too reluctant to bite for fear of getting burned, even over a mere dollar or two. Given RCR's good reception though, I'm still amazed that it took so long to clear out last night.

Called in to deliver pizza in a few, looks like Hotline will hold the fort down during the busy period for me :)

Hotline Miami is number 51 of the 101 games to have their final appearance. So we're half-way there.

Buckle the fuck up. It's gonna be one hell of a ride.

I realized that since I don't own any of the D&D games I'm better off buying them all in one of the semi-annual mega sales than catching one or two in these lightning deals.

Buckle the fuck up. It's gonna be one hell of a ride.
If by that you mean most fuckin boring ride EVAR, then I agree with you. I feel like I'm a kid again driving with my parents to see some old boring relatives that were introduced to me one by one, pinched my cheeks one by one, told me some stuff I don't care about ONE BY ONE, and had to sit around quietly forever waiting for it to be OVER!

GOG, you suck the cosmic dong!

Nuts. I forgot I was in the process of buying Wing Commander 4 and was half way through paypal. Left for 1.5 hours and they logged me out...

I realized that since I don't own any of the D&D games I'm better off buying them all in one of the semi-annual mega sales than catching one or two in these lightning deals.
It depends on the all-in-one price though. From what I remember that pack was ~20$, each one of these so far have been 2$ a piece and there was 7-8 games in the pack I think. So the 80% off on each of these works out to a better deal in the end, or at least will bring down the total cost of ownership of the pack during a mega-sale since you can complete the pack

-edit

actually found the pack, and it was 80% off during the mega sale and has 10 games:

http://www.gog.com/promo/definitive_dungeons_and_dragons

So its a wash in the end

Nuts. I forgot I was in the process of buying Wing Commander 4 and was half way through paypal. Left for 1.5 hours and they logged me out...
Ouch.

I ended up picking that up for myself after doing a search of this thread and finding that this is only the second time that the game has been 75% off. Admittedly, the record of deal posts in this thread was a bit spotty during the thread's first year, but it's clear that it doesn't hit that price too often.

Maybe it's a sign of better discounts in the future though. With any luck, it might hit 75% off in the coming holiday sale.

I'm waiting for the Thiefs, Tomb Raider pack, and Theme Hospital to show up again.  My brother and I have been taking shifts looking up the page for the past 24 hours.  The things we do for cheap games :I

Curse you Spoder, I went searching through this thread trying to find the deal post for the first day of the summer sale and here you go posting it while I was searching for it.

Well dag-nabbit, I went through all that trouble so Ima gonna post it. Summer Sale Day 01

I have a lot of the other D&D games from buying them when they first came out... ya know at retail stores. Just have to find which box they got put in so I can install them again

Oh hey, looks like GOG read my mind and put Heroes of Might & Magic V up while I wasn't around. I was semi-interested in that one and might have bought it. If Alpha Centauri shows up again this century, maybe I'll still get a crack at it.

Are the Thief games that good? Have they aged well?
Thief basically invented the first-person sneaking/stealth genre.

Have you played Dishonored?

Take the Dishonored super-powers away and have your main character be nowhere as good in combat - there you go. Unlike Dishonored, you really do need to play stealthy in these games - or forget it.

Thief 1 and 2 are mission-based.

Thief 1 is way more medieval, whereas Thief 2 has more of a steampunk setting to it.

Thief: Deadly Shadows (Thief 3) is somewhat of an open-world game mixed w/ missions you can do.

Thief 1 was excellent from what I played (never finished); I never played Thief 2 (even though I have it); and Thief 3 was great.

There are textures mods and whatnot out there to make the game the old Thief 1+2 games more modern-looking.

I think the GOG-versions come w/ the most modern NewDark patches for Thief 1+2 that someone released to revamp the game engine and whatnot so it works on modern OS's. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that?

Before NewDark patches for Thief 1+2 and SS2, those were a real pain in the neck to get running properly on modern OS's.

Thief basically invented the first-person sneaking/stealth genre.

Have you played Dishonored?
Take the Dishonored super-powers away and have your main character be nowhere as good in combat - there you go. Unlike Dishonored, you really do need to play stealthy in these games - or forget it.

Thief 1 and 2 are mission-based.
Thief 1 is way more medieval, whereas Thief 2 has more of a steampunk setting to it.
Thief: Deadly Shadows (Thief 3) is somewhat of an open-world game mixed w/ missions you can do.
Thief 1 was excellent from what I played (never finished); I never played Thief 2 (even though I have it); and Thief 3 was great.

There are textures mods and whatnot out there to make the game the old Thief 1+2 games more modern-looking.

I think the GOG-versions come w/ the most modern NewDark patches for Thief 1+2 that someone released to revamp the game engine and whatnot so it works on modern OS's. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that?

Before NewDark patches for Thief 1+2 and SS2, those were a real pain in the neck to get running properly on modern OS's.
I might try to pick those up as well then.

Thanks! :)

Question on thief, anyone know how much the pack usually goes for during the steam sales?  I remember it always coming up and never buying it but it being really cheap for the old ones.  To go along with that, there any advantages to the gog version over steam?

-edit

looks like enhanced steam does packs too, so 4.74 was the last low on steam for the whole thief pack.  so last question still stands, any advantages of gog vs steam since the steam pack is 1.25 cheaper in a month?

Question on thief, anyone know how much the pack usually goes for during the steam sales? I remember it always coming up and never buying it but it being really cheap for the old ones. To go along with that, there any advantages to the gog version over steam?

-edit

looks like enhanced steam does packs too, so 4.74 was the last low on steam for the whole thief pack. so last question still stands, any advantages of gog vs steam since the steam pack is 1.25 cheaper in a month?
I have them all from Retail - so I can't speak on GOG-version and Steam-versions.

Though, we can kinda speak in theory here.

Did you check to see if the Steam-versions of those games actually wrap Steam-DRM around the game's EXE?

(Some games on Steam, they don't do this - and you can get around Steam by running the EXE from the game folder when Steam is closed)

For Thief 1+2, looks like the answer is "NO" - looks like Thief 1+2 are DRM-FREE on Steam. :D

I don't see Thief: Deadly Shadows on that list of "DRM-FREE on Steam."

Does anyone know if Thief: DS from Steam can be booted directly from EXE w/ Steam-closed and it does NOT force Steam to boot?

See, that's a good thing for Steam-versions of Thief 1+2 and especially true w/ older games - b/c if you have problems, it's going to be much easier to get around them; change any settings easier via EXE file; actual EXE properties (For compatibility mode stuff); for modding them; mess/replace EXE files; or anything else you need to do mod the hell out of the game.

Some games - like Vampire: Bloodlines - have a history of being a major pain-in-the-neck to mod in the Steam-versions, as opposed to the Non-Steam versions. Especially since mods do tinker w/ the game's EXE file.

You likely will be able to get the game going w/out Steam running, if necessary - in case the Steam-program seems to cause some problems itself w/ the old game and whatnot.

In other words - Thief 1+2 on Steam-versions look like they're giving you the best of both the Steam-world and DRM-FREE world, whenever you want to use either as such. I really like when games' EXE's ain't protected by Steam-DRM in Steam-versions. They're easier to screw, tinker, and mod those games.

Oh, yeah - if you do get any Steam-version, always back up the game-folder before you actually mod it up. Just in case, you need to reinstall to get back to a clean-slate and start over - so you can mod it up properly.

so last question still stands, any advantages of gog vs steam since the steam pack is 1.25 cheaper in a month?
(That is assuming Steam puts it on sale for the same price. Which is probable.)

GOG does give you extras like soundtracks and whatnot. Basically that and if you would prefer it clientless/DRM Free or have it on Steam.

I don't see Thief: Deadly Shadows on that list of "DRM-FREE on Steam."

Does anyone know if Thief: DS from Steam can be booted directly from EXE w/ Steam-closed and it does NOT force Steam to boot?
Just tried it, and it gets Steamy when you try to do that.

(That is assuming Steam puts it on sale for the same price. Which is probable.)

GOG does give you extras like soundtracks and whatnot. Basically that and if you would prefer it clientless/DRM Free or have it on Steam.
Yeah, that's the best things about GOG - they have NO-DRM; often give you awesome extra goodies; and their versions are usually built to work properly on modern OS's like Win 7.

The thing is - Thief 1+2 Steam-versions are also listed on as having the EXE being "DRM-FREE". That means if you buy the Steam-version - so you do the download from Steam, you can run that EXE from the game-folder (or create a shortcut from the game-folder) from My Computer - and w/ Steam closed, you can boot the game and it won't boot Steam-up! It'll run DRM-FREE style, if you so desire it to. :D

Of course, if you're on Steam, you can boot the game from within Steam-client program - and you'll be playing the game w/ Steam's benefits (take screenshots; time-tracking; etc etc). :D

How can you lose when you have the best of both worlds? :D

I'd love to know if Thief: DS is DRM-FREE on Steam like Thief 1+2 seem to be.

EDIT:

Just tried it, and it gets Steamy when you try to do that.
Bummer on T3 Steam-version. :(

By the time the sale is over I will look like this:

4595235_std.jpg

This sale is still going? Has anyone got a free game yet?
Not even close - hell, I managed to click the 'Buy Now' button for 'System Shock 2' when 25 copies were left and again for 'Sniper Elite Berlin 1945' when it started, only for it to tell 'too late'. It's ridiculous how fast those counters go down on a free game.

This Miami Hotline has now been going for well over 3 or could be 4hrs now.. taking forever.

Wow. I did not expect Hotline Miami to go on this long. And here we thought that Jack Keane 2-induced sales drought was rough... though, considering quantity, it could still be argued that it carries the crown.

I was sure the sale would be over by this afternoon at the rate things were moving, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see it stretch past Sunday, which is some seriously shitty shit. And I can't goof around and peek at it constantly tomorrow, so, poop.

Sacred Gold again.

What a rip! - I managed to click that Blackwell bundle straight away and it told me, 'this deal has expired'

GOG are trolling us.

bread's done
Back