GOG Deals Thread

photo-thumb-20063.jpg

I have the first one in my Steam backlog and wouldn't mind picking up the 3rd one, which alot of people say is the best one, but even at 50% off I think I'll pass. If it was $4.99 I'd probably do it, but $9.99 is just too rich for a game that's going in the pile of shame.

Figure I'd give back to the community here after that Indigo Prophecy giveaway I (a CAG noob) won last week.

So...

GIVEAWAY!!!

I got 3 games:

1.) Cossacks: Anthology
2.) Etherlords 2
3.) Septerra Core

I'm doing this a bit unorthodox, as in there are 3 games, compared to other CAG giveaways (okay, so I'm not so much a CAG noob as I am a lurker).

Anyway, there will be three winners, ONE for each game. Please quote this, and below the quote, type the name of which of the three games you want.

Good luck!

P.S. - I realize the games I'm giving away have been recent sale games, so sorry about that; I am giving these away because I bought a handful of gift keys for these three games, and as I said, I would feel bad if I didn't "give back" to you CAG'ers, given I'm (more or less) new here...

EDIT: Also, I won't be making many rules for this giveaway, given that Neuro5i5 didn't do that with the giveaway I won. However, if you have just registered within the last hour, and have zero posts before quoting my giveaway post, not to be rude, but I won't be counting that as a "win" (meaning no key for you). I doubt anyone will do that anyway, but I just feel it's necessary to deter potential "freebie trolls".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice giveaway.

Though I'm only mildly interested in the games offered, so I'm gonna pass for now. It's much better to let people who actually want one of those games get them, than to grab one of them just to pad my account. But at the very least, I wanted to let you know that your generosity is appreciated.

Oh and there's no need to apologize for giving away games that you bought on sale. It'd be kinda weird if you were buying games at full price and giving them away. ;)

Figure I'd give back to the community here after that Indigo Prophecy giveaway I (a CAG noob) won last week.

So...

GIVEAWAY!!!

I got 3 games:

2.) Etherlords 2
3.) Septerra Core

I'm doing this a bit unorthodox, as in there are 3 games, compared to other CAG giveaways (okay, so I'm not so much a CAG noob as I am a lurker).

Anyway, there will be three winners, ONE for each game. Please quote this, and below the quote, type the name of which of the three games you want.
Due to the historical interest, I've been intrigued by the Cossacks series for a very long time, but I'm not sure I wouldn't throw my hands up in frustration if I actually tried to play it. If there's someone else who thinks they want it and isn't as intimidated as I am, I'd rather let that person have it. Otherwise, I am interested.

Nice giveaway.

Though I'm only mildly interested in the games offered, so I'm gonna pass for now. It's much better to let people who actually want one of those games get them, than to grab one of them just to pad my account. But at the very least, I wanted to let you know that your generosity is appreciated.

Oh and there's no need to apologize for giving away games that you bought on sale. It'd be kinda weird if you were buying games at full price and giving them away. ;)
Thanks for letting me know; I wasn't too sure on the "ethics" of buying games for CAG giveaways. I was also apologizing for giving away games that have JUST been on sale, meaning that the community here has had a chance to pick them up recently (as opposed to games that were on sale a while ago, making the giveaway a bit more... interesting).

Also, I won't be making many rules for this giveaway, given that Neuro5i5 didn't do that with the giveaway I won. However, if you have just registered within the last hour, and have zero posts before quoting my giveaway post, not to be rude, but I won't be counting that as a "win" (meaning no key for you). I doubt anyone will do that anyway, but I just feel it's necessary to deter potential "freebie trolls".

Anyway, have a happy week everyone!

Due to the historical interest, I've been intrigued by the Cossacks series for a very long time, but I'm not sure I wouldn't throw my hands up in frustration if I actually tried to play it. If there's someone else who thinks they want it and isn't as intimidated as I am, I'd rather let that person have it. Otherwise, I am interested.
If nobody else wants it within 12 hours or so, it's yours for the taking... :)

[quote name="talkinrock" post="11513467" timestamp="1391980112"]Figure I'd give back to the community here after that Indigo Prophecy giveaway I (a CAG noob) won last week.

So...

GIVEAWAY!!!

I got 3 games:

2.) Etherlords 2
3.) Septerra Core

Good luck!

P.S. - I realize the games I'm giving away have been recent sale games, so sorry about that; I am giving these away because I bought a handful of gift keys for these three games, and as I said, I would feel bad if I didn't "give back" to you CAG'ers, given I'm (more or less) new here...

EDIT: Also, I won't be making many rules for this giveaway, given that Neuro5i5 didn't do that with the giveaway I won. However, if you have just registered within the last hour, and have zero posts before quoting my giveaway post, not to be rude, but I won't be counting that as a "win" (meaning no key for you). I doubt anyone will do that anyway, but I just feel it's necessary to deter potential "freebie trolls".[/quote]

Totally cool of you to give away games.

I'm interested in Etherlords or Cossacks. Either one. I've been eyeballing both for a while. If one is available. Surprise me. :whee:

So...

GIVEAWAY!!!

I got 3 games:

2.) Etherlords 2
3.) Septerra Core

Good luck!

EDIT: Also, I won't be making many rules for this giveaway, given that Neuro5i5 didn't do that with the giveaway I won. However, if you have just registered within the last hour, and have zero posts before quoting my giveaway post, not to be rude, but I won't be counting that as a "win" (meaning no key for you). I doubt anyone will do that anyway, but I just feel it's necessary to deter potential "freebie trolls".
Really nice giveaway. Etherlords 2 looks nice. It's marked as Turn-based strategy fantasy on it's GOG page, which rubs me all the right ways. Plus the specs look like they'd run even on my garbage PC. I never played the first one though. So if that's not important or if nobody else with a computer they're sure will run it instead of just guessing like me wants it, then I would like it please.

Oops, too late. Nevermind.

So...

GIVEAWAY!!!

I got 3 games:

2.) Etherlords 2
3.) Septerra Core

Good luck!

Cossacks Anthology i'd like if I win. I'm an old RTS nut (started around the time of Warcraft 1 and Command and Conquer...preferred Command and Conquer Strongly). I never did play this anthology and love playing some old school RTS.

So, Septerra Core is still available, if anybody wants it...

In case it doesn't look like your type of game, I'll just let you know how fantastic it is:

As the GOG page says, it 's a great hybrid of Western and Japanese RPGs, and plays absolutely wonderfully! Personally, I do not like Japanese RPGs, and would go so far as to say I practically loathe them. However, Septerra Core is a strikingly well-put-together game, and is a must play (It's one of my top 10 favorite RPGs... EVER)! That said, it does have a few VERY minor quirks, but nothing that would scare off ANY fan of RPGs; Western, Japanese, or otherwise. If you enjoy playing RPGs at all, I would highly recommend it (plus, I'm giving it away for free, so there's nothing to lose).

Once upon a time, GOG had games Steam doesn't. Nowadays? Not really.
I'd much rather buy certain games from GOG than Steam.

I mean, the Steam overlay causes trouble in some older games, and many publishers simply throw up unmodified, unoptimized games that run on a default DOSBox setup instead of trying to configure it for the specific game.

For most people the Steam versions are good enough, but the GOG versions have a better chance of getting updated to fix any issues caused by OS updates / hardware changes / etc.

I'd much rather buy certain games from GOG than Steam.

I mean, the Steam overlay causes trouble in some older games, and many publishers simply throw up unmodified, unoptimized games that run on a default DOSBox setup instead of trying to configure it for the specific game.

For most people the Steam versions are good enough, but the GOG versions have a better chance of getting updated to fix any issues caused by OS updates / hardware changes / etc.
Agreed many new older games released on Steam are just the gog.com version repackaged. Some are just blatantly better on gog such as the Thief Pack (I remember having compatibility problems on Steam) and Commandos Pack....which had messed up timing settings at least for the 1st one. Stuff just runs better from gog, and I appreciate it and will pay a bit more vs saving a buck or 2 on steam (usually get from gog in at least 50% off sales).

Agreed many new older games released on Steam are just the gog.com version repackaged. Some are just blatantly better on gog such as the Thief Pack (I remember having compatibility problems on Steam) and Commandos Pack....which had messed up timing settings at least for the 1st one. Stuff just runs better from gog, and I appreciate it and will pay a bit more vs saving a buck or 2 on steam (usually get from gog in at least 50% off sales).
When companies decided to port ANY-version over to Steam, they really should TEST it!

That Steam-overlay and other things from Steam can get in the way of running games and can cause odd issues, if dev's + pub's are actually lazy and don't TEST the bloody thing.

EDIT:

You know, it would be nice if Wizardry 8 got fixed so that it could work w/in the damn Steam-overlay and Steam-client!

Thank God that the Steam-version of Wiz 8 don't ship w/ CEG and is actually DRM-FREE in Steam-version - as advised on the Steam Forums, I had to copy the entire game-folder to C:\Wiz8 b/c this game's picky and it wants to run in that folder; and it works outside of Steam there and when ran as a "Add A Non-Steam" game from that C:\Wiz8 folder.

So, Septerra Core is still available, if anybody wants it...

In case it doesn't look like your type of game, I'll just let you know how fantastic it is:

As the GOG page says, it 's a great hybrid of Western and Japanese RPGs, and plays absolutely wonderfully! Personally, I do not like Japanese RPGs, and would go so far as to say I practically loathe them. However, Septerra Core is a strikingly well-put-together game, and is a must play (It's one of my top 10 favorite RPGs... EVER)! That said, it does have a few VERY minor quirks, but nothing that would scare off ANY fan of RPGs; Western, Japanese, or otherwise. If you enjoy playing RPGs at all, I would highly recommend it (plus, I'm giving it away for free, so there's nothing to lose).
I think a lot of people, like myself, got Septerra Core in a Bundlestars Bundle a few months back. Hell, it was the game that sold me on that bundle.

This is true, but there are weird occurences where Steam versions are better updated than the GOG versions. Earth 2140 got an HD patch, while the GOG version doesn't. The dev said they'd send the patch over to GOG but it's been months.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/253860/discussions/0/666826250716083349/#c666826250737217407

I think a lot of people, like myself, got Septerra Core in a Bundlestars Bundle a few months back. Hell, it was the game that sold me on that bundle.
But Bundlestars gave a Steam key, correct?

So, you have SOME NERVE, my fellow CAG'er, for posting that in THIS thread! Plus, you're even more of a sacreligious sod, considering that Septerra Core is ALSO available on the wonderful, the fantastic, the amazing GOG!!

So, please, change your sinful ways, or gtfo CAG... NOW!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: The views mentioned in the above post may or may not reflect the perspective of posters in this CAG thread as a whole. However, for the sake of making a silly, talkinrock reserves the right to overdramaticize this post on behalf of CAG'ers worldwide. Thank you and have a nice day (or not).

But Bundlestars gave a Steam key, correct?

So, you have SOME NERVE, my fellow CAG'er, for posting that in THIS thread! Plus, you're even more of a sacreligious sod, considering that Septerra Core is ALSO available on the wonderful, the fantastic, the amazing GOG!!

So, please, change your sinful ways, or gtfo CAG... NOW!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: The views mentioned in the above post may or may not reflect the perspective of posters in this CAG thread as a whole. However, for the sake of making a silly, talkinrock reserves the right to overdramaticize this post on behalf of CAG'ers worldwide. Thank you and have a nice day (or not).
*GASP* I've been such a fool! How dare ME!

Ha, congrats everyone.

Another one (since nobody's mentioned it, yet):

Jazzpunk is $11.99 (20% off) during it's first week of release...

My personal recommendation for Jazzpunk is that if you love silly humor (and/or don't mind bathroom jokes) then this game is an ABSOLUTE MUST-PLAY!! It's very quirky and strange (but what else should we expect from Adult Swim Games, right?), and dishes out jokes about every 20 seconds or so... literally.

It's very different from other "humour-based" games, but nevertheless, if you want to be thoroughly entertained for a week, then get Jazzpunk. NOW!!

NOTE: This message is sponsored by the Promotion of Silly Games Society. The poster of this message may have been paid, bribed, and/or blackmailed by the kidnapping of his wife and three children persuaded to convey a positive image of said game. Thank you and have a nice day.

Oops, I missed that one. The sale price looks like it should be the regular price though.
Judging by how it costs $24.99 on Steam, I'm guessing it's the same price on GOG. However, GOG has been known to undercut Steam on occasion, so I could be wrong (although they probably wouldn't undercut them by that much...)

Judging by how it costs $24.99 on Steam, I'm guessing it's the same price on GOG. However, GOG has been known to undercut Steam in the past on occasion, so I could be wrong (although they probably wouldn't undercut them by that much...)
I just meant that like many other indie games they seem to have set the price higher than it should be. It doesn't look like a game that is worth $24.99 to me and the price looks worse when you compare it to the great games GOG sells for $5.99 and $9.99.

I just meant that like many other indie games they seem to have set the price higher than it should be. It doesn't look like a game that is worth $24.99 to me and the price looks worse when you compare it to the great games GOG sells for $5.99 and $9.99.
Ohhhhh. I see now... In that case, I agree with you (with regards to OTHER newer indie games at that price).

However, as for this game being "highly priced", I have to all but disagree: Having played (and re-played) Kentucky Route Zero, I would say it's definitely worthy of $24.99, given that the game includes three separately released chapters, one of which hasn't even been released yet. Still, I bought it when it was on sale for like $19.99 or something, and truth be told, if I hadn't bought it yet, $19.99 is probably the most I'd pay for it UNTIL the 3rd chapter was released. If the 3rd chapter had been released, however, I definitely would pay full price.

Still, thinking about it, though, it's a very atmospheric adventure game with such a spectacular ambience and deep personality, that I would probably pay full price ($24.99) for it no matter what.

Yes, it's THAT brilliant.

EDIT: Please re-read my post if you've read it within the first 10 minutes it was posted, as I have edited it a lot to more accurately reflect what I was trying to say...

Hey all, I know this isn't the "proper" thread for the types of keys I'm going to give away, however for the sake of irony, I'm going to do a "pro-DRM" giveaway in this thread, just because I know it's going to bug somebody, and I like to do that sometimes... :p

So, on that note, I'm going to be giving away Steam Keys AND dreaded (wait for it)... Origin keys for some games. First things first: For all of the Steam keys, there are Origin keys that redeem the same games. However, there are a couple games for which I ONLY have Origin keys to give, so tough sh*t.

Annnnnnyway, I will be giving the Steam keys and Origin keys out separately from each other, which brings me to my next point, the rules... They're fairly basic, and are as follows:

1.) As usual, please quote this to win a key. I would like to emphasize this point more than usual, because I'm going to update the OP after every winner to show which games are gone and which are still available. I feel it's easier for people to see which keys they still can choose if they don't have to browse a few pages back every time to check the OP.

2.) One key per user, please.

3.) THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT(!!): Steam keys will be GIVEN AWAY FIRST, so if you snooze, well... you're stuck with keys for The-Download-Client-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.

4.) Posters MUST have registered before today, and a minimum of 2 posts (made prior to today) are necessary. This is to deter "freebie trolls", as I like to call them. And, yes, I know my rules for this point are so minimal that it's unlikely to do anything anyway. However, it makes me feel better to do this, so please let me have that be the highlight of my day, okay? Good.

Now for the available games:

**STEAM KEYS**

1.) Dead Space

2.) Metal of Honor

3.) Crysis 2: Maximum Edition GONE!

4.) Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box GONE!

5.) Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising GONE!

6.) Mirror's Edge GONE!

**ORIGIN KEYS**

1.) Dead Space

2.) Dead Space 3

3.) Metal of Honor

4.) Crysis 2: Maximum Edition

5.) Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

6.) Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising

7.) Mirror's Edge

8.) Populous

Good luck, and as they Electronic Arts says, onwards with DRM!!

I made the thread, and I couldn't really care less. Do as many code drops or giveaways as you want, it's not like GOG is giving us anything to talk about lately.
Well, I'll have you know, I can give you THREE whole talking points about recent GOG events:

1.) Red Faction 1 & 2 were released today.

2.) Kentucky Route Zero (and award-winning game) was put in GOG's catalog today.

3.) [uptalk]GOG is awesome and there's always something to talk about??[/uptalk]

I showed you, didn't I?!!

*sees wall of text giveaway*

*scrolls to see games*

*enjoys owning them all and not having to read the rules*
I'm guessing you're either a rich bastard, or you got these games the same method I did (If it's the latter, and you reveal my secrets, you shall perish!)... Even though everybody probably already knows where I got these. :p

Well, I'll have you know, I can give you THREE whole talking points about recent GOG events:

1.) Red Alert 1 & 2 were released today.

2.) Kentucky Route Zero (and award-winning game) was put in GOG's catalog today.

3.) [uptalk]GOG is awesome and there's always something to talk about??[/uptalk]

I showed you, didn't I?!!
70% off Red Faction Bundle?

Everytime I see the GoG thread up near top. I hope for Lands of Lore trilogy cheap. lol i'm pathetic.

bread's done
Back