GOG Weekend Deal - Myst/Riven/Manhole - 25% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
0355a2fbee48cb4546f5ba7b8b304a00550e8773.jpg

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/cyan/

Until Monday, January 25 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, GOG's selection of Games developed by Cyan Inc. are available for 25% off.

Myst: Masterpiece Edition $4.49 (25% off)
Riven $4.49 (25% off)
The Manhole: Masterpiece Edition $4.49 (25% off)

RealMyst and Myst: Uru are developed/published by Cyan Worlds and are not included in this promo.

Reviews:
Myst Mobyrank 83/100
Riven Metacritic (83), Mobyrank 88/100
The Manhole Mobyscore 4.0/5

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AionTelos']wtf is "The Manhole?"[/QUOTE]

To quote copy on an alternate cover of the game, "A fantasy exploration for children of all ages."

And to quote Mr. Walrus, "Indubitably!"

(The Manhole was a exploratory, non-linear game developed by the Miller brothers before Myst. The 'Masterpiece Edition' upgrades the original Mac graphics, adds voiceovers & music, as well as adding new characters). It can be enjoyed by 'children of all ages', but don't expect puzzles on par with Riven. It's mostly about exploring and interacting with a strange, new world.

I think it's supposed to be good, but it does have the funniest name ever :whistle2:D I'm blown away they got to release it like that :lol:

Riven's awesome, or at least was when I played it a decade ago. Didn't like Myst though. (Which isn't surprising, since I hate the genre except for maybe two games.)

The Manhole, if I remember correctly, was the first game by the Cyan folks, and was originally (I think) written as a Hypercard stack for the Mac back around 1989 or so? It was the same kind of thing as Myst, except written for kids and goofier. I imagine this version is probably one that was made glossier for a stand-alone, PC release (so, no Hypercard) after Myst got huge.

Myst and River are tempting at that price.

........if I could only get one, which one would you recommend? (I was thinking Riven since Myst has a remake of sorts, it seems)

[quote name='plutoknight']Myst and River are tempting at that price.

........if I could only get one, which one would you recommend? (I was thinking Riven since Myst has a remake of sorts, it seems)[/QUOTE]

Myst sort of has two remakes. "RealMyst" is a 3D remake of it, which GOG also has, but apparently isn't on sale. The "Masterpiece Edition" is the other one, which is 2D like the original, but redone to look better (although still nowhere close to Riven).

Personally I loved Riven, but hated Myst. I found the former really immersive (played it with the lights off back in the day), and the puzzles felt like they had some kind of logic to them.

Riven, and two Star Trek games are the only straight "point and click" style adventure games I've ever liked :whistle2:D

I loved playing Manhole on the classic Mac. I would play the Hypercard version for hours on end as a kid, a lot of good memories.

Haven't played Riven, so I'm definitely buying this when I get home.

bread's done
Back