GOG Weekend Deal - UFO Series - up to 50% off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
18bc4b654ee73f001af3f54aaefc834000a00dcd.jpg

Until Monday, March 15 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, you can get two of the X-COM-inspired series of tactical alien-hunting for up to 50% off.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/ufo/

Already have one of the games on GOG? Buy the other one to complete the pack and get the 50% discount.

UFO: Aftermath $4.19 ($2.99 if you have Aftershock)
UFO: Aftershock $6.99 ($4.99 if you have Aftermath)
UFO Pack $7.98 (50% off)

Metacritic:
UFO: Aftermath (67)
UFO: Aftershock (67)

Demos:
UFO: Aftermath
UFO: Aftershock

Last edited by a moderator:
Do these have any connection to X-Com?

Great prices, but geez, my backlog it already INSANE :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']Do these have any connection to X-Com?

Great prices, but geez, my backlog it already INSANE :lol:[/QUOTE]
They're inspired by/based off of X-COM.

I played the first one a few years back (Aftermath) and it was average in my opinion. Probably better than the "67" score on Metacritic, but not by leaps and bounds. I was a fan of the original X-Com and played it to completion back in the day, so I was looking forward to Aftermath as something of a "spiritual" successor.

It plays similar to the X-Com series, but the combat is more "live action" than turn-based (or stat-based to be more precise). The battles are actually a lot like the Baldur's gate series, where you can pause during the action to issue new commands to your team members. Things like line-of-sight, training, ranges based on weapon type, etc. play a key part in combat, and you can speed up/slow down the action anytime.

The storyline was interesting, but I felt it stagnated at some point as certain research needed to be completed in order to advance the storyline....but it occassionally took a long time for the research to finish. As a result -you tend to feel like you're "grinding" out a number of encounters just sitting around waiting for things to happen as you're constantly attacked. It's one of those games you quicksave every 30 seconds (at least I did).

I don't mean to be too critical - I did enjoy it, and at the price they're definitely both worth picking up. Never got to the second one (Aftershock) but I think it's probably close in terms of gameplay to the first. Hope that helps!

Are they easier than Xcom by any chance? That was my complaint with Xcom-way too hard.

Actually sounds like a lot of fun from your description!

I liked this bit from the Four Fat Chicks review:

"I will say this: those who love “X-Com” will like this game. Those who love strategy will like this game. But no one will ever love this game."

If you want to go to the source, play X-COM. If you want more personality, play JA2. If you love both of those, you'll find plenty to like in the UFO games (and a few things missing you wish they adopted from their predecessors). Maybe GOG will get UFO: Afterlight one day.

Also found a good link on the GOG forums with mods for Aftermath and Aftershock including original X-COM music, the ability to view an FPS camera, weapon re-balancing, etc.

And an unofficial patch for Aftershock (1.3) was released this week to sort out a few remaining issues.

Bump for final hours.

From GOG:
"If you've been reluctant to try out UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock, why not give them a shot this time, now that they're both dirt-cheap? Neither easy nor short, these games will keep you busy for weeks on end."

I *LIKE* easy, thank you very much :lol:

Dang...this is something I'd jump all over if not for my backlog. $3? $5? Great deals, but...I've sort of slowed down on my buying so far this year... don't know.

This is the closest thing you'll get to recent games similar to X-Com. I played UFO Afterlight which is the 3rd in this series, kinda surprised that isn't offered. It was pretty good. Bugged out a couple of times and I'd get locked up.

bread's done
Back