GoGamer Madness (2/17) - Saints Row 2 (PC) $19.90, LotR: Conquest (PC) $24.90

[quote name='paintball745']wow 2 craptastic sales in 2 weeks they are really going for the gold arent they.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, GoGamer likely has gone mad.

Dear GoGamer Overlords, toss the Collector's of Mines of Moria to $30ish :D Would make an awesome next madness sale.

[quote name='Sporadic']Saint's Row 2 is a must buy at $19.90 after they patched the game twice.[/quote]How much better (it couldn't get any worse) is it with those patches?

[quote name='silent h3ro']How much better (it couldn't get any worse) is it with those patches?[/QUOTE]

Almost a different game.

I posted this after the first patch at a different forum.

[quote name='Sporadic']
Wow, they weren't fucking around with this patch. Medium went from being a slideshow to playable (slowdown only with car chases/etc).

Custom setting wise, I went from

Fullscreen V-Sync
AA - 2X
AF - 2X
View Distance - Far

to

Fullscreen V-Sync
Ambient Occlusion - All
AA - 4X
AF - 2X
Shadow Maps - All
View Distance - Far
Dynamic Lighting - Simple

with no noticable performance hit. It's not perfect (motion blur causes a big drop) but it looks and runs much better.
[/quote]

The second patch added native 16:9/16:10 resolution options.

The driving is a little laggy but it's bearable.

Hmmmm, the PC versions of Saints Row 2, LOTR Conquest, and Rise of the Argonauts are all about 1.5 months old and they're already selling for half price? Ouch. Really haven't heard anything positive about any of those games.

You can at least register retail copies of SR2 with Steam.

Huh. I was avoiding SR2 completely since I heard such bad things about it initially. If they've made it more playable then $20 isn't too bad. I don't suppose it supports GFWL for achievements though, eh?

Also, what kind of system are you running Sporadic?

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Huh. I was avoiding SR2 completely since I heard such bad things about it initially. If they've made it more playable then $20 isn't too bad. I don't suppose it supports GFWL for achievements though, eh?

Also, what kind of system are you running Sporadic?[/QUOTE]

No GFWL

My system is a:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz
3GBs of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT with 512MB
Windows Vista 64

Pretty similar to my machine then. Well if it runs good for you, then I guess I might order it. Achievements are kinda fun but I can live without 'em.

3 relatively new PC games for prices lower than anywhere else? And still people complain here, but I don't recall seeing these kind of complaints on sales of this magnitude in console threads. Yeah, they will all drop more but there is no way this is a bad sale when none of those have even been this cheap in B&M weekly sales.

[quote name='turls']3 relatively new PC games for prices lower than anywhere else? And still people complain here, but I don't recall seeing these kind of complaints on sales of this magnitude in console threads. Yeah, they will all drop more but there is no way this is a bad sale when none of those have even been this cheap in B&M weekly sales.[/quote]

It's a bad sale because I do not want any of them =P

[quote name='Wolfpup']Saints Row 2 has activation, so be aware you're only renting it for that price.[/QUOTE]

What?

It ties itself to your Steam account.

[quote name='Sporadic']What?

It ties itself to your Steam account.[/quote]

wolfpup is anal on ANY DRM even the heavenly Steam.

He complains in almost every Gogamer thread either not knowing or weary of buying anything because of this DRM-phobia.

[quote name='Sporadic']What?

It ties itself to your Steam account.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xycury']wolfpup is anal on ANY DRM even the heavenly Steam.

He complains in almost every Gogamer thread either not knowing or weary of buying anything because of this DRM-phobia.[/QUOTE]

It's not a 'phobia'. This should be pointed out in any thread where it's an issue. If you don't care about owning things you pay for, that's your issue, not mine. Most people would like to know whether or not something has activation before buying it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's not a 'phobia'. This should be pointed out in any thread where it's an issue. If you don't care about owning things you pay for, that's your issue, not mine. Most people would like to know whether or not something has activation before buying it.[/quote]

Not all DRM is activation either.

Plus activation could be a minor thing, even with Steam, if they ever were to shut down, they'd release patches to all the games they said they would.

It's never an issue unless it doesn't work, which is valid to bring up, but I haven't had an issue yet.

What scared you away? Nothing? then I would say more phobia than just being careful.

[quote name='xycury']Not all DRM is activation either.[/quote]

No. Many people are opposed to all of it, though personally I'm okay as long as it's not activation.

Plus activation could be a minor thing, even with Steam, if they ever were to shut down, they'd release patches to all the games they said they would.

That's a possibility, but more likely even if they'd like to, they woudln't be able to for many or all games because of rights/legal issues and time requirements.

[quotpe]It's never an issue unless it doesn't work, which is valid to bring up, but I haven't had an issue yet.[/quote]

Not with Steam, but far larger companies have already shut down their activation servers-Google, Microsoft, Wal Mart, etc. It's proof that it isn't just a theory-anything with activation does have to be treated as a rental. (Well it is anyway, given that even with the servers up you can't give it away, etc.)

What scared you away? Nothing? then I would say more phobia than just being careful.

Not even sure what this means.

I was just thinking that you had a really bad experience since you have a dislike of all DRM.

I think if more places do what Steam does, it'll be better than SecureRom or TAGES.

Plus isn't all PC games considered rentals... or at least media given up after an amount of time. I'm not going ot dig out my floppies of Commander keen to install to play... rather buy it off of Steam, which I did, and play it.

Plus incapatibilities with OS/drivers/DirectX.. list goes on.

I don't have a problem with wolfpup bringing this up all the time, but on these cross-platform titles if we keep bitching and not buying companies just won't release for PC at all. What's the PC sale percentage on a typical title, especially one that comes out months after the console counterpart. Maybe 10% at most? Its not worth it if it means the game will just be released for consoles. I like to have a choice, although a ton of variables go into whether I buy for console or PC.

a large majority of games have easy workarounds for drm. When I buy a pc game, I usually get the no-cd exe.
And even if a company went out of business before a release could be sent out, there is a good chance fans of the game would work something up on their own.
But it's not like games without drm are futureproof. Just look at how frustrating it would be playing an older pc game on vista without unofficial patches or programs like dosbox

[quote name='turls']I don't have a problem with wolfpup bringing this up all the time, but on these cross-platform titles if we keep bitching and not buying companies just won't release for PC at all. What's the PC sale percentage on a typical title, especially one that comes out months after the console counterpart. Maybe 10% at most? Its not worth it if it means the game will just be released for consoles. I like to have a choice, although a ton of variables go into whether I buy for console or PC.[/QUOTE]

They'll also look though at successful games that don't have activation, or no activation at all in some cases. If people keep avoiding 'activation' games, and keep complaining about it, sooner or later they'll have to get the message. It's not hopeless. The music industry, which is probably the most stubborn and backwards around, has pretty much gotten the message.

[quote name='xycury']Plus isn't all PC games considered rentals... or at least media given up after an amount of time. I'm not going ot dig out my floppies of Commander keen to install to play... rather buy it off of Steam, which I did, and play it.

Plus incapatibilities with OS/drivers/DirectX.. list goes on.[/QUOTE]

Sure, and old console can break, etc., but you still own it. You can still give it away, emulate it, keep old hardware around, buy old hardware that can run it, etc. You'd be cut off from those games now if they had had activation back then.

[quote name='vherub']a large majority of games have easy workarounds for drm. When I buy a pc game, I usually get the no-cd exe.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but that's illegal, and plus why should I be supporting a company that treats me like that? That forces me to break the law to actually own something I bought?

For the time being, there's still plenty of stuff with no activation, so that's where I put my money. And in the case of stuff with activation, for the time being, I just buy the console version instead if I really want it. (Plus there's GoG, etc.) I've made a couple of exceptions on Steam so far, just because they were so cheap (like the 98¢ Half Life thing) that I'm willing to lose them.

Console gaming (especially on the 360) is much more restrictive than PC gaming, with or without DRM. You only have one physical copy of the game; if it breaks/ is lost you have to buy another copy. You're stuck using a controller for most games. You're stuck overpaying for the console maker's accessories (i.e. larger harddrive). You're stuck paying for online play. The game must be kept in the drive, there is no way to back it up or play backups (unless you flash the drive and/or install a modchip). The games don't support mods, custom user made maps, user made textures. There's no freedom when it comes to making your own server. You're stuck paying for DLC and updates and shitty multiplayer. Console games are more expensive, don't drop in price as fast, and aren't around as long. I could go on but I rather not. No one cares about someone going off like a broken record about "activation DRM" in every PC gaming deal post, it's plain annoying.

for the past 20 years, most pc gaming (and all console gaming) has had drm, it just didn't get the label. You need the dvd in the drive, or the cd, or the 3.5 disk or the 5-1/4 disk, or a spinwheel, or a specific code in the manual, etc.
this type of drm isn't bad, it's just a hassle when some games are released that don't require them. And it is especially not bad if it is a single time activation, which is more convenient than popping a disc in and out all the time.
The recent trouble is with intrusive drm that affects other programs, or otherwise harms or introduces harm to the computer. And I think most people would agree with you, wolfpup, that intrusive drm is stupid, shortsighted, incredibly harmful, doesn't achieve any purpose and alienates customers.
I, and many others, just think being anti-drm lumps all the really bad drm stuff in with drm that is only mildly annoying.

[quote name='super_nerd']Console gaming (especially on the 360) is much more restrictive than PC gaming, with or without DRM. You only have one physical copy of the game; if it breaks/ is lost you have to buy another copy.[/quote]

That kind of stuff isn't restrictive at all. That's true of virtually anything you buy. If you break something, fine, it's broken. That's such a strange argument to me. I mean I've been buying stuff for 20 or 30 years or whatever and to date have had exactly zero games lost because of any of those reasons. And if I did somehow break a game, it would be my fault. I can get mad at myself, but at least I didn't invest in something that quits working for reasons out of my control.

No one cares about someone going off like a broken record about "activation DRM" in every PC gaming deal post, it's plain annoying.

Geez is this messed up. If YOU don't care if you don't own games you pay money for, that is YOUR problem. MANY PEOPLE want to own things they spend money on, and hence there should ALWAYS be a warning the original post-if it's not there, someone needs to post it.

[quote name='vherub']for the past 20 years, most pc gaming (and all console gaming) has had drm, it just didn't get the label. You need the dvd in the drive, or the cd, or the 3.5 disk or the 5-1/4 disk, or a spinwheel, or a specific code in the manual, etc.
this type of drm isn't bad, it's just a hassle when some games are released that don't require them. And it is especially not bad if it is a single time activation, which is more convenient than popping a disc in and out all the time.
The recent trouble is with intrusive drm that affects other programs, or otherwise harms or introduces harm to the computer. And I think most people would agree with you, wolfpup, that intrusive drm is stupid, shortsighted, incredibly harmful, doesn't achieve any purpose and alienates customers.
I, and many others, just think being anti-drm lumps all the really bad drm stuff in with drm that is only mildly annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't particularly care about DRM as long as it's not activation. Heck, I'd sooner get a dongle of some sort! I'm not crazy about like disc check drivers, but to date I've not had issues with them, so put up with it too (although I've had XP systems crashed by trying to use a disc like that in a USB drive...but again, not that huge of an issue for my personally).

DRM is here to stay, it won't go away. the biggest thing the public can do is not buy it, but that's not going to happen. People WILL want to play it. the only other choice is pirating, which is illegal.

Frankly I do not want DRM, but I also want to play games. To not buy something, may mean that I will miss out.

I think we have to trust the Companies to not do retarded things.

But I don't think Activation is that bad, considering that most of the titles get a deactivation patch later.... or they free it up eventually. I don't think I've ever had a PC title that the company broke and I'll never be able to play it, because it couldn't deactivate.

There is a title DVDcopy I think, that had activation and company went under and now you can't really install it anymore... but this is games we're talking about, and any "big" name will stay around that would actually use activation; EA, R*, T2, Blizzard...

I've never seen any other company give a flying hell about theirs if they are a small publisher.

And to stay on topic, I think this is GoGamer's .... saddest sale yet? Seems like a mish-mash of every console but nothing great.

[quote name='xycury']DRM is here to stay, it won't go away. the biggest thing the public can do is not buy it, but that's not going to happen.[/quote]

Not necessarily (and again it's activation that's the issue more than all DRM). Activation-and in fact all DRM-is pretty much dead on music. While for some reason people on this forum don't seem to care if they own stuff, by and large most people I talk to are at least as outraged over activation as I am. This is not an issue that's being ignored. Ignorance is the main reason for most people accepting it, not an actual acceptance-I mean they don't really let you know-at best it's tiny type on the box.

That's exactly why ANY thread like this needs to say if a game has activation.

I think we have to trust the Companies to not do retarded things.

Why? They do stupid things all the time. Putting DRM in is stupid to begin with, given that it only affects paying customers, not people willing to steal.

But I don't think Activation is that bad, considering that most of the titles get a deactivation patch later

Like what? I can't remember a single case of that happening. And at any rate, even if it did, I'd buy the game AFTER the patch is released.

bread's done
Back