Going to Chicago in 2 weeks, Looking for stuff to do.

Ericnmel99

CAGiversary!
Hey fellow Cheap asses. Im going to chicago with my wife in 2 weeks and we've got some stuff planned to do, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any cool places that i wouldnt think of. Maybe a cool restaurant they've been to or a cool place to visit. ANy info would help, thanks.

Navy Pier is a pretty cool place to go, and the speedboat rides on the lake are also fun. I would suggest disney quest but they closed it down :x Anyway, have fun while you're here, and for some good pizza, check out pizzaria uno or due downtown.

As far as food goes, what do you like? 'cause it's there in Chicago. If you want to do touristy stuff, eat at Ed Debbebic's (not sure if I spelled it right) It's a fifties themed diner with a catch - every one there gives terrible service. Now this is all done in fun, so the service isn't exactly bad, just comical. They yell & scream and through stuff - all within the realm of being family friendly - no swearing, ect. (at least not in front of kids)

My suggestion - get out of the Loop. Downtown is downtown - no matter what city you're in.

Chinatown is fun, they have a giant monument dedicated to the Chinese zodiak.

Check out the Clark & Belmont area - Record stores (actual records) Import stores, A Brew & View etc.

Also, look up a toy store called Uncle Fun - it's one of the strangest places ever. Punching Nun toys, Red Russian tin toys, very strange & bizzaar stuff.

And if your in town on a Wednesday night, channel 62WJYS playes a realy great music show called JBTV @ 11:00pm

If your willing to head out of the city about 1hour east in Merrillville, IN every Saturday night we show The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the crossroads cinema. It's about one hour out of Chicago, but it's a super easy drive...

Make sure you eat at Portillo's. Excellent hot dogs, and the italian beef is the best I've ever had. They are all over the city so shouldn't be to hard to find.

If you drive an hour north of Chicago, you can visit Big Nick and his shrine to the Olsen Twins.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']the chicago cheesecake factory, go there or your life is forfeit.[/quote]

It's a little pricey, on par with any downtown place, but yeah I forgot the cheesecake factory. You should check it out for nothing more than the design. It was all done by a guy named Jordan Mosier, who, while NO pleasure to deal with (I worked at a print shop in the loop, he was a client) his design is neat. It's all very extruded and strangly shaped - think Tim Burtain move, without the dark & sinister...

The Cheesecake Factory is realy easy to find, it's in the the Hancock Building

(I'm not trying to run this topic or anything, I just live real close to Chicago and am there super frequently. In fact I'm most likley going to see the original Godzilla there tonight.)

I have a cheesecake factory here. Thats the thing...im from ny. We pretty have all the same touristy stuff here too. I dont want that crap, i want spots that only locals go to, ya know? I plan on staying in the city the whole time. So far i plan on going to china town when i get there cause they have some parade that day and im gunna get some dim sum. I plan on going to Gino's for pizza, and Im gunna go to Mortons one night for dinner. I want to check out some of the buildings and museums......anything else?

Go to Shedd aquarium. I haven't been there since I was in elementary school, but it always rocked my world then. And of course the Sears tower is impressive.

If your looking for nightlife check out the bars on Division street. Have a drink at the Alumni club for me. Rush street also used to be a happening strip but I don't know how it is now.
If you're looking for a big nightclub experience you have to check out Excalibur. Probably one of the best nightclubs in the entire Midwest.
Otherwise your basic daytime activies would include Shedds, Sears, Michigan Ave, and maybe even the Commodities Exchange if thats your thing.

[quote name='Tromack']Go to Shedd aquarium. I haven't been there since I was in elementary school, but it always rocked my world then. And of course the Sears tower is impressive.[/quote]

I have heard the aquarium is excellent. I'm planning on taking the family there next time I'm in Chicago.

[quote name='johnnyoski']If your looking for nightlife check out the bars on Division street. Have a drink at the Alumni club for me. Rush street also used to be a happening strip but I don't know how it is now.
If you're looking for a big nightclub experience you have to check out Excalibur. Probably one of the best nightclubs in the entire Midwest.
Otherwise your basic daytime activies would include Shedds, Sears, Michigan Ave, and maybe even the Commodities Exchange if thats your thing.[/quote]

Cool...i'll check that stuff out.

go to a cubs game. if you like baseball that is. wrigley is always fun.

seriously, all the ideas above are good. i'm not sure what festival will be in grant park area at that point, but its worth looking up. might be something good. try the chicago park district page or the city's page.

[quote name='peteloaf']If you like comedy check out the Neo-Futurists

Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind is hilarious.
http://www.neofuturists.org/

If you like crappy punk music Check out the Fireside Bowl

Art Moves & Cult films? Music Box Theatre
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com
Midnight Movies are always fun, usualy a realy good crowd[/quote]

don't forget second city or blue man group (though they're everywhere now). and for movies, go the brew and view, if you want entertainment. not sure what it'll have then, but its fun.

All I have to say is:

Enjoy the free "blow job" when you get there...

Blow Job as the wind from the Windy City....what were you guys thinking of!?

If you like Mexican food, check out Frontera Grill & Topolobampo (2 different restaurants in one place..one is a bit more expensive) at 445 N Clark St. GREAT food and margaritas that were featured in Playboy magazine (not that I read it..;)..they had the article hanging up).

Forget the Cubs! Go to a Sox game! Wrigley does have a much better neighborhood but Sox tickets are much easier to get and the team is better. :) Comiskey...uh...U.S. Cellular Park has gone through some renovations and is MUCH nicer than people like to believe. Not sure what dates you’ll be here, but tickets are half price on Mondays and Tuesdays (if you brink a pepsi can).

A good pizza place is Pequod’s on Webster & Clybourn. The crust has caramelized cheese and is fantastic. It’s a whole in the wall type of place, but if you’re looking for good food at a non-tourist place, go there.

Navy Pier is fun, as is the Shed Aquarium, Museum of Science & Industry. The Art Institute on Michigan Ave. shouldn’t be missed and is Free on Tuesdays!

I normally stay away from the bars on Rush & Division. If you’re in your early twenties and want to get crazy, those are good bars. There’s a place on Elm St. called The Hangge Uppe that’s pretty cool. Upstairs is your typical club, but downstairs they play older music and have albums plastered all over the walls. A fun, upbeat place. I used to frequent a place called Danny’s on Dickens St. It’s a house turned into a bar...kinda dark place...couches to sit on...they play great music, serve a good drink and have plenty of interesting people to look at. The Green Dolphin is a pricey restaurant & jazz club that’s also pretty cool. Good food and good music.

Peteloaf obviously knows what he’s talking about. Too Much Light, Uncle Fun, Music Box, Brew & View, etc. are all great places that us Chicagoans love.

Check out http://chicago.citysearch.com for more info on these and other places. Enjoy your stay!

I just got back from a trip to Chicago and although I was only there a day I can reccomend what I was able to do. I was able to check out a Cub's game which I HIGHLY reccomend, much nicer area then southside and the field, food, and fans are unbelievable. If ur at Wrigley make sure to get a Hebrew National hot dog, theres a long line but it was worth it. They cook the hotdog in onions and serve it to you with the onions then u can put on mustard, ketchup, tomatoes, or bananna peppers. Very tasty. Also we went to Gino's pizza which was close to Wrigley and they have excellent deep dish. Also we went to Ikea, but that's just cause there isn't one in MN yet but I'm sure there is in NY.

Yeah...I have an Ikea 5 min from my house. Its funny to go there because its the only one in Ny, so people from all over the place speaking all every language imaginable are there.

Too bad you won't be in town during the gay pride parade (at least I don't think you will be). Fun, fun stuff! (and no, I am not gay).

I would also second Portillos. You probably have a ton of good places like it in NY, but I'd say it's still worth it.

If you want good pizza, check out Gino's East.

If you want good (and amazingly cheap!) Japanese food, I HIGHLY recommend Matsuya on Clark. Its about a block south of Wrigley.

[quote name='"chickenhawk"']Too bad you won't be in town during the gay pride parade (at least I don't think you will be). Fun, fun stuff! (and no, I am not gay).
quote]
:shock:
Whatever floats your boat

I went to Chicago last summer and I had a buttload of fun. We pretty much did everything that everyone has said above(Clubs, restaraunts, baseball game). But I would have to say the best day was the day we drove thirty minutes to a little town called Gurnee to the Six Flags. Holy crap, that was sooooooooo much fun! I would definetaly go there if I were you, and its not too far away from Chicago! One of the best amusement parks I've ever been to!

[quote name='PsyClerk']If you drive an hour north of Chicago, you can visit Big Nick and his shrine to the Olsen Twins.[/quote]

You promised you wouldnt tell anyone!!

chicago.citysearch.com

yup, the mile, and see what exibits are at the museums. I saw van goh and gourgan(sp).

Navy pier

just walk around, its a pretty fun tour. I'll try to find out the transit site, but you can get a 1 day bus pass for $5. So you can get a few.

[quote name='Birbo']If you like Mexican food, check out Frontera Grill & Topolobampo (2 different restaurants in one place..one is a bit more expensive) at 445 N Clark St. GREAT food and margaritas that were featured in Playboy magazine (not that I read it..;)..they had the article hanging up).[/quote]

I would have to disagree with this. I went there to eat last time I was in Chicago. Overpriced food, terrible service, sub-par food. I was extremely disappointed in it. Best Mexican my ass.

If you are looking for good ethnic food try Tiffin. It's an Indian place with excellent food, some of it can be damn spicy. It's located at 2356 West Devon in the Indian district of the city. Pretty weird shit in that part of town, me being from Ohio and never being in a place like that before.

Didn't say it was the BEST Mexican...for that you'd have to travel about 30 minutes out of the city to NW Indiana to a place called El Taco Real. Sounds cheesey, but it's authentic and good. Sorry you didn't dig Frontera, but it IS consistantly at the top of critics lists every year. Maybe you were just there on a bad night.

Wouldn't mind a CAG meet up. How many of us are there?

[quote name='Ericnmel99']Maybe i'll spot big nick clibing up the side of the sears tower holding Ashley olsen in his hand.[/quote]

Since she weighs less than 100lbs, I could probably do it!

lol

oh by the way anyone ever been to the original pancake house? My wife was checking it out online....looks pretty good.

[quote name='peteloaf']
(I'm not trying to run this topic or anything, I just live real close to Chicago and am there super frequently. In fact I'm most likley going to see the original Godzilla there tonight.)[/quote]
Are you going to G-Fest?

I've been to Chicago once, it was pretty cool. Went to Wrigley field, make sure you get one of those chicago dogs loaded with everything else. Also get a deep dish pizza. I went to this one place called I think Lou Maltoni's (its a small Chicago Chain) It was awesome.

Still, the best Pizza west of Chicago is Zachary's here in Albany and Berkeley. So damn good, I know someone else on the boards must have been here before.

[quote name='kfkl'][quote name='peteloaf']If you like comedy check out the Neo-Futurists

Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind is hilarious.
http://www.neofuturists.org/

If you like crappy punk music Check out the Fireside Bowl

Art Moves & Cult films? Music Box Theatre
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com
Midnight Movies are always fun, usualy a realy good crowd[/quote]

don't forget second city or blue man group (though they're everywhere now). and for movies, go the brew and view, if you want entertainment. not sure what it'll have then, but its fun.[/quote]

by far the best suggestions on here. fuck the touristy stuff (besides the aquarium - it rocks), it's now $15 a person just to go to the top of the sears tower.

Question.....Goose Island Brew Pub. ANyone been there? I want to go there but want to know if its good or not. Opinions please......

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='PsyClerk']If you drive an hour north of Chicago, you can visit Big Nick and his shrine to the Olsen Twins.[/quote]

You promised you wouldnt tell anyone!!

chicago.citysearch.com

yup, the mile, and see what exibits are at the museums. I saw van goh and gourgan(sp).

Navy pier

just walk around, its a pretty fun tour. I'll try to find out the transit site, but you can get a 1 day bus pass for $5. So you can get a few.[/quote]

Is the shrine updated with all the pictures of Mary Kate doing cocaine?

thats ok...right now i want to know if the pancake house and goose island brew pub are ok to go to...not cemetaries.

Anybody know about those 2 places i mentioned? The original pancace house and goose island brew pub? i want to know if those places are good or not

bread's done
Back