Google "Nexus 7" tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) now available

I actually learned a lot from buying the Nexus 7. Google is going to keep doing this whole, release product, release upgraded version shortly after, routine. Had I known that I would have waited in buying one, lesson learned. Wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing with the Nexus 4.Well played Google, well played.

[quote name='Clak']I actually learned a lot from buying the Nexus 7. Google is going to keep doing this whole, release product, release upgraded version shortly after, routine. Had I known that I would have waited in buying one, lesson learned. Wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing with the Nexus 4.Well played Google, well played.[/QUOTE]
Well, Google has already kinda announced that there's going to be more than 1 phone with vanilla android on it. Sony already has a phone that officially supports it and it planning to release another one soon. HTC and Samsung probably aren't far behind.

Eh, that's still not confirmed, I'm hoping believe me, but right now we don't know. Either way, this will probably be the only officially Google supported phone. A lot of people have been saying it, that Google is becoming a bit too Applie-like lately. Lots of the things I used to criticize Apple for, Google now does.

[quote name='dohdough']Well, Google has already kinda announced that there's going to be more than 1 phone with vanilla android on it. Sony already has a phone that officially supports it and it planning to release another one soon. HTC and Samsung probably aren't far behind.[/QUOTE]That would be nice, since the Nexus 4 it was a letdown for anyone that wasn't on AT&T or T-Mobile, such as myself.

I can see why they went without LTE to keep it an unlocked phone and out of carriers' hands, though a follow-up to the GNex would be a good one.

Hopefully HTC or Samsung will step up and release a Nexus phone, or something else that's pure Google.

[quote name='KaneRobot']OK, 8GB version is now discontinued, so if you can find one you may be able to get a deal. The 16GB is now $200, the 32GB is $250, and the 32GB with 3G (HSPA+ with unlocked GSM) is $300.

Specs are the same otherwise, not that this is unexpected.

This is kind of what I wanted them to offer from day 1, but I knew what I was getting into as an early adopter. No complaints, I still have like 65% of the space on my 16GB free.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have given some consideration to buying everyone a tablet for Christmas and wouldn't mind doing so on the cheap. I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for the heads-up.

Have a question for Nexus 7 owners - I'm looking to get my brother a case for his Nexus 7. He says he just wants something protective that won't add much bulk to it so he can still fit it in his coat pocket. Does anyone here have any recommendations? Preferably something I can purchase easily on Amazon. Thanks.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a new Kindle, but think maybe something like this is the better route to go. Any good sites/stories for comparing the two?

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I've been thinking of upgrading to a new Kindle, but think maybe something like this is the better route to go. Any good sites/stories for comparing the two?[/QUOTE]

Youtube is your best bet honestly. That's what swung me to the Nexus 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlC8pr5rY0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fta9hTderjg

Obviously some of the info is outdated such as being able to go to landscape mode in Android now

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Have a question for Nexus 7 owners - I'm looking to get my brother a case for his Nexus 7. He says he just wants something protective that won't add much bulk to it so he can still fit it in his coat pocket. Does anyone here have any recommendations? Preferably something I can purchase easily on Amazon. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of cases on Amazon. I bought the Moko case and it has been very good.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automati...=1355491925&sr=8-1&keywords=moko+nexus+7+case

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I've been thinking of upgrading to a new Kindle, but think maybe something like this is the better route to go. Any good sites/stories for comparing the two?[/QUOTE]
I'd definitely recommend the Nexus 7 over the Kindle. The only thing I could find that I liked on the new Kindles is the stereo speakers, and that's a pretty minor nitpick. The Nexus 7 doesn't have any Amazon junk in your face and is always updated quickly with the latest Android version upon release.

In the market for a new tablet. The Nexus 10 is far superior to the iPad 4 in regards to specs. However, I had an S3 and didn't like the Android platform, or the fact that it had absolute shit for battery life. I'd like to play with the Nexus 10 before deciding, but I'm having the damnedest time trying to find a local store that has it in stock.

Also, I have an iPhone, and prefer the iOS environment, intend to use it to read books/texts, but I think perhaps I'd like the Android platform more on a tablet. Jellybean looks slick on a tablet.

[quote name='Chase']In the market for a new tablet. The Nexus 10 is far superior to the iPad 4 in regards to specs. However, I had an S3 and didn't like the Android platform, or the fact that it had absolute shit for battery life. I'd like to play with the Nexus 10 before deciding, but I'm having the damnedest time trying to find a local store that has it in stock.

Also, I have an iPhone, and prefer the iOS environment, intend to use it to read books/texts, but I think perhaps I'd like the Android platform more on a tablet. Jellybean looks slick on a tablet.[/QUOTE]

Just know that the Nexus 10 is a Samsung product and not an ASUS brand like the Nexus 7. While the Nexus 10's screen is beautiful to look at when compared to the iPad 4 (Nexus 10 has more pixels than the iPad 4 and more view space for videos), its product feel is more toy like, whereas the iPad is sleek and study.

I have all of these products in my office, ranging from the Nexus 10, to kindle HDs, to Acers and iPads. The Nexus 10 is very nice, but feels cheaper than others in the same category. If the android OS is something that you could not get use to, I would highly advise you not to bother with it and stick to something that you know well and enjoy to use.

I think Samsung makes a great product under the shell, but the shell itself feels like a fisher-price toy.

I have a Transformer Prime, which is a good device, but I have been disappointed that the updates have not fixed the browser and other elements that keep the device from being perfect. I might have to pick up a Nexus tablet but I find myself yearning for something that is actually responsive.

I never did buy one for mine. There were a few I thought looked good, but then the reviews point out that it's tearing after just a few months or something. I'm still looking for a good one.

I was thinking of getting a tablet since my cell phone does not play apps (it's a pay as you go phone) and as a replacement for my Toshiba 10.1 inch netbook (which runs ok, but a tablet would run faster than my Intel Atom).

I noticed the Asus Transformer and the Samsung Galaxy Tab are both selling for $299 which is the most I am willing to spend. Would you guys recommend either one? Having something smaller than a 10.1 tablet seems like a downgrade, but if there are pros to getting a 7 inch tablet, I'm all ears.

Again, I plan on using the device as a travel device (Netflix, internet, reading, apps and games)/ backup computer for the occasional typing.

I'll say that having owned both a 10 inch (Asus Transformer) and 7 inch tablet (Nexus 7), I prefer the 7 inch. I like to read on mine, and reading on a 10 inch tablet just feels awkward to me. I'd go to Bestbuy and try some out if you can, will give you an idea of the size.

I'm in the market for a 7 inch tablet. 1saleaday has the 8GB Nook Tablet for $89 today. I can't decide whether to get one of those and root it or just get a Nexus 7.

Anybody here have a rooted Nook tablet? If so, does it do alright as an Android tablet once rooted? One positive thing I like about the Nook is it has a micro SD slot for expanding the memory.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm in the market for a 7 inch tablet. 1saleaday has the 8GB Nook Tablet for $89 today. I can't decide whether to get one of those and root it or just get a Nexus 7.

Anybody here have a rooted Nook tablet? If so, does it do alright as an Android tablet once rooted? One positive thing I like about the Nook is it has a micro SD slot for expanding the memory.[/QUOTE]

I have mine rooted. I love it, but I just don't use it all that often anymore except for the Swagbucks app. When I did use it normally it worked just fine

[quote name='slickkill77']I have mine rooted. I love it, but I just don't use it all that often anymore except for the Swagbucks app. When I did use it normally it worked just fine[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered one. I'm mainly just looking for something to take on vacation with me here in a month or two.

I have an iPad 4, which is fantastic. Waiting on the iPad Mini because it lacks retina display. Having already looked over the Nexus 7, when I was comparison shopping for a tablet, 200 bucks is a steal. However, I read that the second generation of the Nexus 7 is due relatively soon. Probably gonna hold out and see if Apple gets their shit together.

[quote name='Relentless Sheep']For the people that own the Nexus 7, what do you think about the feel of it? Does it seem to plasticky?[/QUOTE]

nope. I like the rubbery feel of the back.

So happy with mine. The only thing I wish it had was a back camera.

Very likely we'll see the second gen N7 at Google I/O conference next month. So if you've been thinking about buying one, may want to wait to either a) get a lower price when they clearance the current ones or b) see what the new model will offer. Only thing I've read so far is the screen resolution will be higher.

[quote name='confoosious']nope. I like the rubbery feel of the back.

So happy with mine. The only thing I wish it had was a back camera.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I love the back of it.

I also wouldn't mind a back camera. I'm actually fine without the SD slot. Ideally it would have one but it's not life or death with me...my 16GB is still just under half full and I've got plenty of stuff on it.

[quote name='saunderscowie']It is solid however I have a slight creek around one of the corners, my girlfriends N7 doesn't so maybe I just got unlucky.[/QUOTE]
A lot of the early run had that problem. I bought one on launch week and it did that. Took it back, waited a month or so and bought a second one and everything seemed fine. You may have got one from an older batch.

New Nexus 7 should be out very soon - matter of days, not weeks. Here's an article.

http://www.androidauthority.com/new-nexus-7-android-4-3-launch-july-31-staples-report-says-245900/

Will be adding info to the OP, but here are some of the known specs. There will be more to come, but here's what has leaked:

• 7-inch LCD with WUXGA resolution (1920 x 1200)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (APQ8064)
  • DDR3LM RAM - UNKNOWN (conflicting reports of 512MB, 2GB, and 4GB)
  • 32GB of storage (16GB version also available)
  • 5-megapixel camera
  • 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 1080p output via “slim port”
  • Stereo speakers
  • 3950mAh battery
Pricing is rumored at ~270 for the 32GB and ~230 for the 16GB.

Nothing regarding the 2nd gen Nexus 10 yet, but I imagine that'll be popping up in the next 2-3 months.

I'll probably actually get this and will be selling my 1st gen momentarily. I'm really glad we've got a rear camera and video output now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much I could get for the 1st gen.  I've noticed it's slowing down quite a bit.   I also  noticed I'm nowhere near my 32GB storage.

I'd absolutely  upgrade for 100.

I'm hoping I can get one of the 1st gen Nexus 7's for $100 (or less). I just want a tablet for my comicbook viewing and casual cough gaming. Unless someone knows of a better tablet for this that's around $100?

Full specs announced today:

Nexus 7

• Screen

• 7.02” 1920x1200 HD display (323 ppi)
  • 1080p HD IPS
  • Scratch resistant Corning® glass

[*][*]Cameras
[*][*]
  • 1.2MP front facing, fixed focus
  • 5MP rear facing, auto focus

[*][*]Dimensions
[*][*]
  • 114 x 200 x 8.65 mm
  • 0.64lbs (290g) Wi-Fi, 0.66lbs (299g) LTE

[*][*]Battery
[*][*]
  • 3950 mAh
  • Up to 9 hours active use
  • Wireless charging built-in (Qi compatible)

[*][*]Audio
[*][*]
  • Stereo speakers
  • Surround sound, powered by Fraunhofer

[*][*]Processing
[*][*]
  • CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro, 1.5GHz
  • GPU: Adreno 320, 400MHz

[*][*]Wireless
[*][*]
  • Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • NFC (Android Beam)
  • Bluetooth 4.0

[*][*]Networks
[*][*]
  • Optional 4G LTE
  • North America:
  • 4G LTE: 700/750/850/1700/1900/2100 MHZ (Bands: 1/2/4/5/13/17)
  • HSPA+: 850/900/1900/2100/AWS MHz (Bands: 1/2/4/5/8/10)
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • Europe:
  • 4G LTE: 800/850/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 MHz (Bands: 1/2/3/4/5/7/20)
  • HSPA+: 850/900/1900/2100/AWS MHz (Bands: 1/2/4/5/8/10)
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

[*][*]Memory
[*][*]
  • Choose 16GB or 32GB internal storage
  • 2GB RAM

[*][*]Ports & Connectors
[*][*]
  • microUSB
  • SlimPort™ enabled
  • 3.5mm audio
  • Microphone
  • Power and Volume buttons

[*][*]Sensors
[*][*]
  • GPS
  • Gyroscope
  • Accelerometer
  • Compass
  • Ambient Light

Woo, it's actually already shipping from Best Buy and Amazon (and showing in store now at all Best Buys near me).

Article detailing this year's vs. last year's. Needless to say, this year's is much better.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-2013-vs-2012-by-the-numbers-249196/

Really tempted to grab one from Amazon, I've had a couple of people biting at my current one on craigslist, even at the pretty high 150 dollar price I set it at. One way or another I'll probably have the new one in a few days to a week.

decided to buy one since staples has $30 off all tablets.

I found tablets consistently rather useless but I'm going to sell off one of the extra HP touchpads I had leftover from the firesale for around $200. Android development for it has been rather lackluster

Woo, it's actually already shipping from Best Buy and Amazon (and showing in store now at all Best Buys near me).

Article detailing this year's vs. last year's. Needless to say, this year's is much better.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-2013-vs-2012-by-the-numbers-249196/

Really tempted to grab one from Amazon, I've had a couple of people biting at my current one on craigslist, even at the pretty high 150 dollar price I set it at. One way or another I'll probably have the new one in a few days to a week.
Gamestop had these to sell in store on Friday.

After seeing Zoglog's post I checked Staples, all the ones near me are showing in stock. I put in a reserve for them to contact me (store isn't open yet), so I should be hearing from them in the next few hours. That 30 dollar coupon is as good a deal as I'm going to get right now, so may as well go for it.

Coupon & coupon code are here: http://dealnews.com/Staples-coupon-30-off-any-tablet/801663.html . Only good through Sunday.

EDIT - or not. Turns out the coupon excludes the new Nexus 7. Don't know what Zoglog experienced, but I was denied at the counter. Coupon says it excludes certain item numbers, and apparently that was one of them. So if I get it I guess it'll be through Amazon. Still no tax for me.

EDIT 2 - did my first ever "complain about a company on Twitter" and it seems to have actually yielded results. Dude claimed that the Nexus should have been excluded from the web coupon as well but was not. Then apologized (since I had driven to Staples and told at the counter that the mystery item number excluded on the coupon was indeed the Nexus) and said he'd send me a 30 dollar coupon via email. So we'll see what happens.

Out for delivery from Amazon (yay!) via Prestige (uh oh) so I should have it in the next few hours. I may do a comparison video since I still have the old one in my possession (EBay buyer flaked out).

dont know to buy one of these and return the  16 gb kindle fire hd i got off  best buy after a price adjustment  what  after  the price adjustment i got the  16 GB for 99 bucks   (kindle fire)  

worth keeping the 99 buck  Fire HD   or   getting one of these for 200

dont know to buy one of these and return the 16 gb kindle fire hd i got off best buy after a price adjustment what after the price adjustment i got the 16 GB for 99 bucks (kindle fire)

worth keeping the 99 buck Fire HD or getting one of these for 200
The new N7 is a lot more powerful, if you're noticing lag in stuff you use frequently it may be worth the upgrade. If you're running fine as is, I'd still at least consider it but it's not critical.

------------------

Didn't bother to do a video since there are already several comparison videos out there, but what I noticed:

*New one feels a bit lighter

*New one is slightly taller

*Old one is a hair wider

*Old one had a better backing materal - new one is okay, but slightly less "grippy" - the old one's dimpled/rubberized back was awesome

*New one's display is gorgeous

*New one's speakers are MUCH louder. The speaker on the old N7 was probably my most hated feature, just no volume at all. This one's halfway volume sounds like the old one at full volume. Still not incredible quality-wise, but a small step up in that department as well.

*New one's performance is noticably quicker, although it's hard to tell how much of that is because the new one is more powerful vs how the old one has actually seemed to slow down as new system updates came out. Regardless, the new one is definitely the fastest/smoothest midsized tablet on the market today.

*The video out on the new one does require a Slimport adapter, which isn't included. Looks like they run about 25-35 bucks, if you want to take advantage of that. I probably will at some point, but not immediately.

*Rear camera takes very nice photos in my limited experience, but keep in mind it's only 5MP. Haven't used the front-facing one yet, but it's the same resolution as last year's so I doubt it's much different.

Side note - keep in mind this model doesn't have the 4GLTE built in - that comes in a couple of months with a more expensive model.

Here's a decent review that compares the old and new. The camera demonstration she does isn't great, but worth a look if you're on the fence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EErF1MwBZE

got mine in today. I'd have to say it's a pretty solid unit. Ended up selling one of my new in box HP touchpads 32GB for $209 (I know?!?! right?) to justify my purchase.

I'm still trying to find a reason for tablets. The screen isn't much bigger than my note II. I can say if I traveled more or took public transport I would find it much more useful. I'm still deciding wether to keep it or give it to my dad.  My main draw was finally having a stock android device I didn't have to mess with. The HP touchpad android builds were always a bit buggy and some stuff never worked right and my Note II has that stupid touchwiz crap bloatware from samsung...

Anyway the whole thing has gotten silly... I used to mock the existence of so many screen sizes but realized the sad truth....

944591_10151565446644142_1111984339_n.jpg

Chromecast being sold out doesn't surprise me, but the slimport adapter being out of stock annoys me. I see there are some alternative manufacturers of slimport stuff but not sure if I want to trust them.

End goal here is to run emulators on my tablet to my TV via slimport...need to track down a Bluetooth pad as well since I'm assuming I won't be able to use my wired 360 pad. There is a port on the slimport itself but I believe it is just for charging purposes since pumping out two signals gives the battery a beating.

got mine in today. I'd have to say it's a pretty solid unit. Ended up selling one of my new in box HP touchpads 32GB for $209 (I know?!?! right?) to justify my purchase.

I'm still trying to find a reason for tablets. The screen isn't much bigger than my note II. I can say if I traveled more or took public transport I would find it much more useful. I'm still deciding wether to keep it or give it to my dad. My main draw was finally having a stock android device I didn't have to mess with. The HP touchpad android builds were always a bit buggy and some stuff never worked right and my Note II has that stupid touchwiz crap bloatware from samsung...

Anyway the whole thing has gotten silly... I used to mock the existence of so many screen sizes but realized the sad truth....
944591_10151565446644142_1111984339_n.jpg
Yeah, stock android is just easy. Everything works right out of the box, updates come relatively quick, there's a great dev community on XDA that keeps them updated when google stops, no bloat, and all around great hardware at a relatively cheap price. I'm going to miss those things if/when I skip this gen of Nexus devices.

Btw, is that your wife/gf mocking you in the reflection of the tablet because you're such a nerd? :D

Yeah, stock android is just easy. Everything works right out of the box, updates come relatively quick, there's a great dev community on XDA that keeps them updated when google stops, no bloat, and all around great hardware at a relatively cheap price. I'm going to miss those things if/when I skip this gen of Nexus devices.

Btw, is that your wife/gf mocking you in the reflection of the tablet because you're such a nerd? :D
It's ok, she's a nerd too. We Nerd out together =p

Been using it for a week and the built quality on it is just solid. I'm considering selling my other used touchpad and being done with it despite the screen being larger. However the usefuleness of the device is still not great day to day for me. I know it'll be amazing when I go on my honeymoon in October for the flight. But until then I find myself just going towards my phone more often since it has an internet connection.

But yeah if you are looking for a tablet, you really can't beat this nexus 7. The screen is gorgeous, the price is right, and stock android is killing it.

It's ok, she's a nerd too. We Nerd out together =p
Nice. Mine doesn't share my interest in these things, but that can be good because I don't have to buy her the latest goodies. :D

Been using it for a week and the built quality on it is just solid. I'm considering selling my other used touchpad and being done with it despite the screen being larger. However the usefuleness of the device is still not great day to day for me. I know it'll be amazing when I go on my honeymoon in October for the flight. But until then I find myself just going towards my phone more often since it has an internet connection.

But yeah if you are looking for a tablet, you really can't beat this nexus 7. The screen is gorgeous, the price is right, and stock android is killing it.
I use my tablets pretty often because I tend to read a lot, especially before bed. The large screen makes it especially handy when reading comics. I miss the IPS screen from my Thinkpad Tablet though.

I ended up getting the Xperia Z tablet when the Thinkpad broke instead of a Nexus 10 a month ago because I like to read in the shower. That waterproofing really comes in handy! :rofl:

bread's done
Back