Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

So I was unpacking another box of stuff last night and found some CD's that I hadn't listened to in ages. Towards the top of the pile was Ministry's Psalm 69 so I poppped that into the car on the way in to work. Jesus F'n Christ I forgot how that album just beats you over the head in an unrelenting fashion for the first half hour. It still sounds just as good too, which is kind of scary.
My buddy had a really cool older sister that took us down to Lollapalooza when they were playing. That was what, '94? All I remember was being really young and when they came on I was scared out of my mind. I had seen heavy metal bands and I had seen crazy shit in my life, but nothing prepared me for the onslaught of seeing Ministry live in that era. The "jump around in a circle and bump into each other" people in the pit got run off by people that just wanted to fight. Literally fight. Kick, punch, stomp, throw, etc...

TV II popped on my ipod yesterday. Great stuff. I didn't like the last couple albums, but Psalm 69 is a classic.
I saw them at Lollapalooza and in Lakewood Expo Center, some dingy small hall type place. Probably in 93/94. The opening band had gotten in a bus wreck and another band opened? Don't recall who.
But yeah it was major intense. Although there weren't a lot of fighters, I don't think that's cool. I don't mind the pit being a little rough (run around in a circle does seem a little silly), but there's a line between no contact and full on trying to hurt people.

I was listening to Filth Pig the other day, which is a crushingly heavy album, although in a very different way than Psalm 69.

And cool that you like Nasum. I drove those goes for the 99 Contamination Tour.

Shaping The End taught me how to use melodic structure in the guise of being ridiculously heavy. Also, you can play more than three strings on your guitar at the same time. Seriously, the last minute and a half of that song changed my approach to guitar for years.

Also, anyone else ever notice the keyboard riff being identical in these songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRyyGCmXffo
starting around 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWu8zSAmc6Y
through the whole song.

Looks like Emperor beat them to it by a good 13 years...
Of course now when the AW song comes on my Pandora radio I keep waiting to hear all the cool bits in the Emperor song and end up being horribly disappointed.

[quote name='nasum']
Of course now when the AW song comes on my Pandora radio I keep waiting to hear all the cool bits in the Emperor song and end up being horribly disappointed.[/QUOTE]

This isn't metal, but I recall back about 20 years ago, I had just gotten in the car and turned on the radio and heard what I thought was The Smiths' How Soon is Now? I had just got done cranking it up when the song took a drastic turn and I realized it was something else, which I found out later was Soho "Hippychick". Disappointing indeed.

[quote name='mykevermin']Death Magnetic was mastered worse than "turn up the mic on the snare drum to a billion" St. Anger?[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting question. St. Anger seems like it was mastered professionally by someone who intentionally made it that way for baffling reason, while Death Magnetic sounds like whoever was mastering it had no idea what they were doing and just turned everything way up.

There's definitely a valid reason why people prefer that Guitar Hero 3 version of DM.

There is a sale going on the Relapse Records website. All their titles are 50% off.

I picked up Pentagram, Black Tusk, Rwake and Death.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']fuck you Xevious, now I just spent $100.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean...."Damn You, Xevious"!!! :cool:

No, fuck you and fuck your collection of light profanity.

Really though, 20 CDs for $100 is a damn nice grab. Picked up a bunch of discs I've been wanting.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']No, fuck you and fuck your collection of light profanity.

Really though, 20 CDs for $100 is a damn nice grab. Picked up a bunch of discs I've been wanting.[/QUOTE]

Damn!

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Crud, one of the discs was OOS (Slaughtercult). Also managed to forget to order the 21 cent CD they had.[/QUOTE]

I picked up $30 worth of stuff. I had to hold back because Xmas is coming up and I got to spend money on other people.

having a hard time convincing myself to go see the Mayhem - Keep Of Kalesein - Abigail Williams - Hate - Woe show tonight. $20 isn't bad but the venue is a bit crummy and has spendy beer. I know I should go support the big metal shows to keep it alive and whatnot. But another night in a shitty venue with maybe 15 women in the crowd and the three attractive ones are taken just doesn't seem all that appealing today.
Plus, getting hammered at a metal show on a monday is not a good way to start the work week...

I just got my Relapse order yesterday. Its kinda surprising because it was sent media mail from Philly so I expected it to take longer.

I'm sort of thinking about buying some more shit since its 50% off but I have to be careful. I want to have money to spend for other xmas deals.
tumblr_luwfiqGkAa1qcjq6vo1_500.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Some apparently reeeeallly dedicated Type O Negative fan paid 800+ dollars for a cassette of October Rust pre-final versions, plus a cover of Pictures of Matchstick Men with Peter on vocals (the version released to the public was Type O playing with Ozzy on vocals).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280785480709#ht_1168wt_1139

Not totally shocked at the final price since 1) The dedicated fans have known about the existence of this stuff forever but it has never been made available and 2) It was a tape made by Peter himself.

Hoping the buyer isn't a hoarder and will distribute this stuff, but considering how much they paid, I'm not hoding my breath.

Dark Funeral tour cancelled.

So I go to the venue to get my ticket refund. They’re closed on Mondays apparently. There are two guys out front that have a practice space above the venue so they’re there all the time. I offer to sell my $17 ticket to them for $10 so that they can make $7 and I don’t have to come out again. The guy doesn’t get it. I explain that it’s about a gallon and a half of gas for me round trip, if I have to come out again that’s 3 or so gallons of gas which cost $3.40 each meaning it will cost me a bit over $10 to get my ticket refund. The guy doesn’t get it, why don’t I want all $17 instead of just $10. Again I explain that operating my car costs money and my time and frustration with having to drive all the way across the metro area is also worth money to me. I then offered to sell it for $5 and they still turned it down because they were confused.
Metalheads, not the most erudite amongst the population sometimes.

I don't know, Earth, Sigh, Burzum, Terrorizer and Monarch have releases due in the next month or two so I'd say that's pretty good. Plus knowing Sunn O))) and Boris we can probably expect a dozen releases from each by summer.

the last album I bought when it came out was Fallen. Looks like Varg is about the only guy that can get me to spend money on metal these days. If CoF could do something as good as Dusk or Cruelty again I'd be all over it, but everything since then has just dwindled in terms of quality.

The new (and last, sadly) Woods of Ypres is really good. For those who have heard of them and are unaware, David Gold died in a car accident in December.

For those who haven't heard them, I'd wager that you'd dig them if you're into Agalloch.

I've always liked Ypres more of the two, but then I never really liked Agalloch much. Still sucks that they're done but it's hard to continue without the main creative force.

Being a fan of older bands and not having discovered many recent bands I like is probably in good part why I feel that way. Never seems to be any new bands coming out that don't come off as "HEY GUYS, WE'RE A METAL BAND TOO!"

so I watched the Deicide Doomsday LA video last night. Pretty damn good show though the DVD sound is kind of terrible.
I haven't seen Deicide live with the new lineup and the last time I saw Glenn was the one tour he did with Vital Remains. For whatever reason he was all serious and mean with Vital, so I completely forgot that he's actually pretty funny. During the concert he said something about playing in Deicide for almost 20 years now, "that's a lot of deli trays" and that just made me laugh like crazy. He's got some good comments in the interview as well.
Not streaming but netflix has it by mail so there's no reason to not put it in your queue.

Also, Pandora just brought up a band called Windir. The song playing is Journey to the End. It's very weird, it starts out all grimm and such, but then ends in a blend of 70's prog (think Rick Wakeman) and 80's arpegiated synth pop (Duran Duran). I can't tell if I'm in love and this is the greatest thing ever or if I've just been trolled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOPkHrW5bA

are there any good metal stations on iHeart Radio? I figure there's bound to be some station in LA that plays Cannibal in the middle of the afternoon.

So I got into this discussion with a pal last night about bands that you're "supposed" to like but really can't stand. For me, it's Celtic Frost. Just can't stand them. Considering how many bands that I do like that point to them as inspiration, I'd assume that all would be well. But no!
Iron Maiden is a close second. Steve Harris may be the bomb, but the stuff just isn't all that interesting to me for whatever reason.

Also, Nachtmystium is pretty damn awesome.

What Celtic Frost have you heard? I could see disliking them if all you've heard is Into The Pendemonium and Vanity/Nemesis (hell, even a bit of To Mega Therion) but I'd be kind of surprised if you disliked Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return and Monotheist. Eh, to each their own though. I personally cannot stand Metallica at all, which always gets me shit from metal fans.

I'm not a fan of Celtic Frost either, but Monotheist has to be one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard and gets lots of my love :cool:

Some good metal on its way.
New Overkill next week. New High on Fire in early April. I think Testament should hit in April or May.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I'm not a fan of Celtic Frost either, but Monotheist has to be one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard and gets lots of my love :cool:[/QUOTE]
Saw them on the tour supporting the CD...trust me, they were MUCH heavier live

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Saw them on the tour supporting the CD...trust me, they were MUCH heavier live[/QUOTE]
If I only knew then what I know now :wall:

Probably nobody here likes them much, but the new 3 Inches of Blood album is awesome. I can't stop playing it. Wasn't a huge fan of the last one, but this one is just awesome. haha.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']3 inches of Blood is a fun band. They also put on a good show.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's mainly why I like em. They're fun. Seen them twice and again, fun show.

Guitar Wolf puts on an AMAZING show. Expect many encores, drunken antics and a human pyramid.

How was Morne though? I keep forgetting how much I enjoy them.

Excellent. I didn't stay through the whole set, so I couldn't tell you how long they played. I can say with some confidence that they did not form a human pyramid, though. But they were solid for the 40 minutes or so I caught of 'em.

Pestilence - Doctrine

Here's an idea, let's grab one of the most talented bass players in the world and then bury him under the sonic mush of distorted 8 string guitars. BRILLIANT!

The whole thing is unlistenable. It's basically Korn without the funk but played fasater than 80bpm.

In other news, I think I'm going to order the Alex Webster bass book. While I disagree with his insistence on the three finger method, it could be a lot of fun to learn a lot of his left hand stuff too.

I caught Opeth, Mastodon & Ghost last night.

I do have a confession to make: For some reason I never gave Opeth a chance. There are some bands that fall through the cracks and Opeth was one of those bands for me. So this was my first exposure to them and I liked them. Its was strange but different too.

I guess Blackwater Park might be the first album I should start off with unless you guys have other suggestions.

Checked out the latest Alcest album last week, definitely great stuff.

Also, anybody else know of Mares of Thrace? Pretty beefy Canadian female duo playing some sludgy angry shtuffs.

Google emphasized it being a female duo, and the google image preview was just semi-lusty pictures of the two. Pass on using sexuality to sell a band alone.

Find me someone who sounds like Victoria Scalisi, and then you'll have my utmost attention.

bread's done
Back