Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

When you get up to Extreme level car setup can make things much easier. Everyone knows you should set the final gear so that at the fastest point on the track you'll be just hitting the redline. But don't forget about gearing for the corners. Let's say a car has max torque at 5,000 RPM. Ideally you want to be at 5,000 RPM just when you are applying maximum throttle out of the corner. Problem is that on most tracks it won't be possible to set ideal gear ratio for every corner. That's why you must prioritize each corner based on length of straight following the corner. Longer the straight, more important it'll be for you to accelerate out of the corner that precedes it.

For ride height you want it to be lowest as possible without bottoming out the car. Bottoming out the car means that underside of your car is skidding on the track. When this happens you will lose grip on your tires.

This are the basic car setup rules to follow regardless of your driving style but other car setting are more reliant on individual's driving style. Things like do you like understeer or oversteer.

I used just the controller for quite a while. It works. A wheel makes some of the really high-speed cars a little more manageable, but most people can still manage with the controller. A good substitute for a wheel is the Interworks HKS Racing controller, which is what I used most of the time now. The HKS is quick and easy and not overly expensive... the wheel's a bit of a PITA to set up, so it rarely gets pulled out.

Wheels will lower your lap times by roughly 5 seconds, and is basically required to get a Platinum. But a controller will do just as well if you don't go for it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Wheels will lower your lap times by roughly 5 seconds, and is basically required to get a Platinum. But a controller will do just as well if you don't go for it.[/QUOTE]
I call BS on lowering lap times by 5 seconds. You have to be a decent driver to pull that off and the person I consider the best driver on the CAG side uses an HKS controller, posting better lap times than our current wheel users.

Is it just me or can GT5's online be very buggy?

I just got out of a race where it started with a black screen, after about 2 minutes races starts, but it's lap 2 and I'm in 3rd.

Cars appear out of nowhere and pass me going at what had to be 300 mph while I'm doing 215 and get passed like I'm doing 50mph.

Also when cars spin while running NASCAR they start to teleport around and there is no real way to know if they'll hit you or not.

[quote name='Mad39er']I call BS on lowering lap times by 5 seconds. You have to be a decent driver to pull that off and the person I consider the best driver on the CAG side uses an HKS controller, posting better lap times than our current wheel users.[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with Mad... 5 seconds is a hell of lot. We've got plenty of races where the winner is NOT using a wheel. A wheel might make it a bit easier for some, but it ain't gonna magically turn you into a good driver.

[quote name='bearhawk']Is it just me or can GT5's online be very buggy?[/quote]

I think it's pretty decent... We've mostly had pretty good results. The last race was a bit jumpy, but it only caused a couple of issues in five races. We'll occasionally have one player not be visible to some of the others, but it's rare and I attribute it to a bad connection (I was using a shared hotel connection at the time).

Thanks to those who sent me cars! I still have need of the following:

• Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Rally Car '97
  • Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Version) '09
  • Nissan 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy Version) '08
  • Nismo 270R '94
  • Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 '85
  • Honda TAKATA DOME NSX '03
  • Mine's LANCER EVOLUTION VI '00

Right now I am just waiting for the 11 ridiculously expensive standards to show in the UCD, then I'll be grinding some more to win the 20,000,000 credit beasts before I have the whole lot. I was hoping one or two would show up in the online dealer this time, but no luck for me there. :(

Offer still stands, I'll trade mine for yours (or paint or museum cards)... the list is here. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smthng']Thanks to those who sent me cars! I still have need of the following:

• Nismo 270R '94

Right now I am just waiting for the 11 ridiculously expensive standards to show in the UCD, then I'll be grinding some more to win the 20,000,000 credit beasts before I have the whole lot. I was hoping one or two would show up in the online dealer this time, but no luck for me there. :(

Offer still stands, I'll trade mine for yours (or paint or museum cards)... the list is here. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I'll scan my garage sometime today and see if I have any of those. And thanks for running my guys b-spec:applause:
edit: Nope, don't have any of those. I'll keep a look out when I roll the UCD over though.

[quote name='bearhawk72']I'll scan my garage sometime today and see if I have any of those.[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated... I'm getting tired of going into the UCD and finding nothing. :(

And thanks for running my guys b-spec:applause:

No problem! I've been running quite a few... some of you have some serious bucks in your b-specs. You might want to check in on them if you haven't done so recently. ;)

[quote name='smthng']Much appreciated... I'm getting tired of going into the UCD and finding nothing. :(

No problem! I've been running quite a few... some of you have some serious bucks in your b-specs. You might want to check in on them if you haven't done so recently. ;)[/QUOTE]
Thought I might have had the Peugeot but it was the rally car from '86

[quote name='smthng']Thanks to those who sent me cars! I still have need of the following:

• Nismo 270R '94

Offer still stands, I'll trade mine for yours (or paint or museum cards)... the list is here. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I'll send you the Peugot today and the 370Z tomorrow or so after the reset.

Thanks Mad!

I'll be grinding my b-spec's for a few days again. The Chaparral 2J just showed up and cleaned me out for almost 15 million. :S

The Super Snake is my favorite car in NFS Hot Pursuit. Doesn't hurt that it's got a seriously bad-ass stance to it. :)

[quote name='jmbreci']This is what I want: http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1810/800-horsepower-mustang-on-the-way/[/QUOTE]
That, my friend, I can agree with entirely. My boss has a Whipple Supercharged Mustang that is a garage queen, he says it's got a clutch like a cement truck and that's the only real turn off, he just flat shifts it. A make or brake(pun intended) for me would be the clutch on that thing.

I really want to start babying my car some, she needs love and I'm going to try and tackle some of that today.

[quote name='Thomas96']This game has a awesome soundtrack... the jazz, the piano music is smooth is fuck.[/QUOTE]

+1 and those qotsa/eodm tracks get me PUMPED when they come on mid-race

Hey guys, check your emails that you registered with the GT Academy with, I just got codes for 5 pieces of DLC, Themes 1-4 and the Racing Suit for your PSN Home Avatar.

[quote name='KingBroly']I need some people on my friends list that I can remote race with. Who's up for it?[/QUOTE]

I think some people in this thread already have a group formed to do remote racing. I'd be interested in joining the group, I have not actually used that feature yet.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I think some people in this thread already have a group formed to do remote racing. I'd be interested in joining the group, I have not actually used that feature yet.[/QUOTE]

Not just remote racing, but actually racing online as well.

@ Broly Feel free to add my PSN name, I could always use some more free monies. :D

damn i hope the K Car races are still up when psn is running again. i used my matte pink paint chip on a cappuccino so i could win those races with style!

[quote name='african redbush']damn i hope the K Car races are still up when psn is running again. i used my matte pink paint chip on a cappuccino so i could win those races with style![/QUOTE]

They should be, the FF races from first time they added them are still there.

How will PD make up for all the people who missed out on the birthday tickets since PSN is down. Maybe send everyone that ticket :D

[quote name='jello44']Not just remote racing, but actually racing online as well.

@ Broly Feel free to add my PSN name, I could always use some more free monies. :D[/QUOTE]

I'll do that then...when PSN comes back up.

I got one driver to Lv.40 during the PSN downtime. It sucks that I won't be able to do the last 24 hour race until PSN comes back up when I can get my other 3 drivers back from being shared. I'm almost at lv.40 in B-spec, so that'll be nice when I get that done.

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu... I just deleted my code when clearing out my e-mail. If anyone has an extra code they can spare me PM me.

[quote name='laaj']How will PD make up for all the people who missed out on the birthday tickets since PSN is down. Maybe send everyone that ticket :D[/QUOTE]

Give everyone an X-2010 Prototype and we'll call it even. :roll:

[quote name='KingBroly']Give everyone an X-2010 Prototype and we'll call it even. :roll:[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOO. I earned that thing. It took time, but holy crap was it fun.

I call for a racing night NOW! One where I shove Mad off into some abyss....wait, guess my mind will have to do for that for the next week or so. This has killed my remote racing and my ability to play Borderlands, but did help me complete Portal 2.

Need some racing, but I have no motivation for the extreme series and I have far too great of ADD to really sit through b-spec unless it is remote racing. Guess I need to move on to socrack or pickup mortal kombat until I can crash into everyone.

[quote name='j-cart']NOOOOOO. I earned that thing. It took time, but holy crap was it fun.[/QUOTE]

Okay then...5 times XP and Money for both A-spec and B-spec for 3 weeks, as well as lowering the requirements for the Red Bull Challenge races by 5-15 seconds a lap depending on the location. Oh, and remove or raise the money cap.

I've been carefully tuning an S2000 and the results handle like a dream. It's no monster but it's still my baby.
Ahrweiler%252520-%252520Town%252520Square_1.jpg

9sxBxtqtwKkQa0Xvxja70Uf3T2jR0uwRtMq2GQxF99I

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/05/gran-turismo-5-new-free-updates-dlc-and-price-drop/

Details for the big update to GT5:
If you have been keeping up with GT5, you know Polyphony Digital has been very diligent about releasing free updates to improve the game, especially the online racing mode. Ever since the launch, Kazunori Yamauchi and his team have been carefully studying posts on forums, reading comments on PlayStation.Blog posts and across Twitter, talking to fans at events, and more. The game has evolved a lot since last November, thanks in part to the dedicated GT fans voicing their opinions.

Now I’m here to share with you some very exciting news about the biggest FREE update yet, releasing in the next few weeks. It will add new features and even more functionality to your GT5 experience.

Polyphony learned that a lot of fans out there love driving using the game’s interior view, and has given some serious thought to it. With this new update, all cars in the game will now have interior views. Although the level of visual details will vary based on what car you choose, you can now race from behind the wheel of any car in the game. In addition, you’ll be able to get the 2011 season versions of the 11 NASCAR race cars for the first time.

Some of the other improvements introduced are greatly reduced load times when loading races, quicker menu response times, and adjustable opponent AI in Arcade Mode. Players will now have the option to save their progress during lengthy racing events so they can come back and finish at a later time, and can also adjust weather conditions for races using a slider function that goes from mild to severe.

The wildly popular Photo Mode has been updated to allow players to take pictures with their personalized driver avatars with customizable racing suits and helmets. You can even fast-forward and rewind race replays now to better capture that key moment in the race.

For those who enjoy racing online with your fellow gearheads, we’re expanding the shuffle race mode. As with the same feature in Gran Turismo PSP, this allows friendly competition between players of different skill levels. Players setting up online races will also have a host of new regulations available to customize their own events. New bonus incentives are introduced for players who log in and play on a consistent basis.

Truly hardcore racing fans will be stoked to hear that GT5 will now officially and fully support the Logitech G25 and G27 Racing Wheels.

The final piece of big news is that there will be a full batch of downloadable content for Gran Turismo 5 in the coming weeks. This DLC will of course include new vehicles and tracks, plus some additional surprises.

We’ll have more details very soon on the specifics of the DLC, so stay tuned, and check the blog and the official Gran Turismo website for further details.

I am ending this post with a comment from the man himself, Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Polyphony Digital and creator of the Gran Turismo franchise:

The coming Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2 update is an update that contains the feedback from the users playing GT5 online every day. We have added cars such as the newest NASCAR race cars, but many of the updates are those that improve usability and expand the field of game play. I believed from the initial release of Gran Turismo 5 that it would be the users that would make the game grow thereafter, and we added things like interior views for the standard models because there was a lot of request for it from our users. You could say that this update is the shape and form of GT5 that was created through the opinions of our fans.
And if you don’t have Gran Turismo 5 yet, now is the perfect time to get into the best-selling racing game. In addition to all of the great new content and free updates, as of this week you can pick GT5 up for only $39.99.
Since I've gotten back into this game recently, I can't wait to have the cockpit view for every car even if the inside is just black like the PSP GT game. I'd rather have the option with some shortcuts taken than nothing at all.

YAY ! love the update. If i had to nit pick id say id rather have 11 new production cars than nascars, but there is dlc announced so here's hoping for some awesome new exotic cars and tracks !

All subject to pricing and general impact but the paid DLC strategy is equally awesome, awful, and intriguing:

Kazunori has also provided some information about DLC, which will become available sometime after Spec 2.0 is released and will include a “racing car pack”, a “course pack”, and a “racing gear pack”. Stay tuned for more details on those soon, and thanks to all of you who sent this in!

So those people who have no problem buying avatar/Home clothes will snag the "racing gear pack" while the rest of us go for the red meat?

So what are we up to for patch sizes? I recall seeing a 600mb patch previously and I thought there was another patch closer to 1gb. Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great game, but I don't want to buy a game, do a 8gb install and the proceed to download gigs of patches.

[quote name='valthonis']So what are we up to for patch sizes? I recall seeing a 600mb patch previously and I thought there was another patch closer to 1gb. Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great game, but I don't want to buy a game, do a 8gb install and the proceed to download gigs of patches.[/QUOTE]

Maybe wait a month or two then. If its anything like Prologue, the new discs will eventually just come with the Spec 2.0 version meaning you won't have to DL anything. I think this is the case with most games that get significant updates.

The inclusion of the new Spec on the discs makes even more sense considering how this content announcement was coupled with a price drop for GT5. (as in clear out the current stock and then bring in the new batch...hopefully at that same $40)

But you are in luck in that you won't have to do a 8gb install and the proceed to download gigs of patches...you'll have to download gigs of patches and then do a 8gb install. (and that's totally different ;))

Spec II update is live. (1.2GBs)

Spec 2.0 Update

std_incar01.jpg

Standard Cars now given simplified cockpit viewsThe over 800 standard cars included in the game now feature simplified cockpit views. Use the SELECT button while racing to cycle your camera through the available driving views, including the immersive cockpit view.Racing at 100mph from behind the steering wheel lets you experience racing from a whole new perspective.*Unlike the cockpit view of premium cars, the simplified cockpit for standard vehicle models view is shown in a dark silhouette, with standard in-game instruments for gauges. Full Car List
Vehicle Details
opening01.jpg

New Opening MovieA brand new opening cinematic is now available for download from Gran Turismo TV on the main menu in Gran Turismo 5. After downloading this movie, you can enjoy it as the new opening cinematic when you boot up your game.The previous version will be viewable within Gran Turismo TV. Gran Turismo TV details

weather01.jpg

New weather change menuNow you can make detailed time and weather change settings while editing in the Course Maker and while setting up races in the online lounge.Additionally on some tracks with weather changes, it is now possible to set time and weather changes from the quick menu in [Practice] of the GT Mode. Time Transitions / Weather Changes details

setting_sheet01.jpg

Save multiple car tuning setupsNow you can manage multiple car setups using the new setting sheet feature. From the [Setting Sheet] on the lower right of the screen, you can check the current settings. You can switch between three custom presets (A, B, and C), allowing you to change between your personal settings easily according to the race course and type of race.
nascar01.jpg

2011 Season NASCAR carsThe 2011 season NASCAR models have been added to the car dealer, to compliment the 2010 season NASCAR cars already in the game. See below link for details.2011 season NASCAR car details
gtr01.jpg

Added the GT-R N24 Schulze MotorsportsFind the GT-R N24 Schulze Motorsports has been added to the car dealer. This is the very car entered in the 2011 Nürburgring 24 hour race by Schulze Motorsports of Germany. Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi was part of the team that drove this car to victory in the race, achieving a 1st in class win.

Avatar now usable in Photo TravelAn Avatar ON/OFF feature has been added to Photo Travel using the △ button. Now you can photograph your custom avatar together with your car. Photo Travel details

replay01.jpg

Replay Fast Forward/RewindIn replay videos recorded after the 2.0 update, it is now possible to fast forward or rewind the replays with [Forward] [Rewind] buttons. Now you can easily search for the perfect shot and repeatedly play back a certain section, making the Photo Mode even easier and more fun to use.
lounge01.jpg

Improved Online Lounge[Car Restrictions] has been added to the Regulations in the online race lounge. Also, the variety of cars that can be used in the Shuffle Race mode has been increased, and a "Shuffle Base" setting now allows you to set the performance level of cars allocated to each player as the game adjusts to the skill level of each player to make the races more competitive.

remote01.jpg

New Features in Remote RacingA "Graph Display" has been added to the remote race screen of gran-turismo.com, allowing you to see the changes in positions in each lap graphically. A time difference display has also been added. Remote Racing details

photo_nascar01.jpg

New Photo Stage AvailableThe “Indy: NASCAR Pit Stop” has been added to photo travel. We invite you to check out the exciting pit scenes of NASCAR. Photo Travel details

login01.jpg

New Consecutive Login BonusWhen a user logs in consistently every day, a bonus will now be applied to experience and race rewards.It will increase to 110% the 1st day, 130% the 2nd day, 150% the 3rd day, 170% the 4th day, to a maximum of 200% on the 5th day. This will apply to all events both online and offline, so logging in every day will help you progress through the game much faster.

dlc01.jpg

DLC (Downloadable Content) CompatibilityA [Downloadable Content] button has been added to the lower right of the main menu screen. Here you can install the downloaded content purchased from the PlayStation®Store. Downloadable Content details

logitec01.jpg

Official Support for the G25/G27 Racing WheelsThe Logitech G25 Racing Wheel and G27 Racing Wheel steering controllers are now officially supported. You can now also change the button allocation for race commands. Peripheral details
DLC

Course Pack (2 tracks, 5 layouts)This DLC pack adds the new tracks to Gran Turismo 5.The new Course Pack includes SPA-Francorchamps (with weather effects) and Kart Space layouts I and II (each layout supports normal and reverse). $4.99
Release date: 10/18/2011 Price: $4.99

Racing Car Pack (15 Cars)This DLC pack adds new cars to Gran Turismo 5.Includes the new model of the X2010 ultimate racing machine, the Red Bull X2011. There is also a lineup of specially tuned touring cars and three new racing karts. Expand your garage with these exciting new racing machines! $7.99
Release date: 10/18/2011 Price: $7.99

Racing Gear Pack (90 items)This DLC pack adds racing gear items to Gran Turismo 5.Contains helmets and racing suits of 8 famous WRC and NASCAR drivers, 12 helmets and suits in all. In addition there is the Official Gran Turismo helmet, and new gear from Alpinestars and Simpson. $2.99
Release date: 10/18/2011 Price: $2.99

Paint Pack (100 colors)This DLC pack adds paint items to Gran Turismo 5.From chic subdued color tones to bright shining colors, there are 100 new colors spread across 10 different themes. Find new unique colors for your favorite cars. $1.99
Release date: 10/18/2011 Price: $1.99

icon_all.png

Complete PackThis DLC bundle contains the Racing Car Pack, Racing Gear Pack, Paint Pack, and Course Pack for Gran Turismo 5, all for a special low price. $11.99
Release date: 10/18/2011 Price: $11.99

[quote name='valthonis']So what are we up to for patch sizes? I recall seeing a 600mb patch previously and I thought there was another patch closer to 1gb. Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great game, but I don't want to buy a game, do a 8gb install and the proceed to download gigs of patches.[/QUOTE]

Less time spent than buying 3 Forza games or installing 3 Forza games.

so the update was nice but nothing too major that I feel like the whole game is refreshed.

But WOW does the dlc BLOW! all those rm cars should of been part of the 2.0 update, they are so crappy. I mean that is so lazy of PD to use existing cars instead of new cars from scratch. The avatar gear and paint is crap, should be no more than .99 each pack. The SPA course is nice and the kart level looks fun but im more disappointed in the fact that these tracks don't come with any new career event, trophies, and I wanted like 5 new real world tracks at once. Lucky Forza 4 dosnt have Logitech wheel support or id be outta here. Heres hoping SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER dlc is coming out and soon from PD.:bomb::wall::cry:

bread's done
Back