Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

I haven't done a lot of searching around for it, but is there a website out there that's set up to give driving and tuning tips to Gran Turismo players?

My hurdle when playing past GT games was that I'm not a gearhead so I don't know what a lot of the parts do. An explanation of the parts--along with some racing tips--would be AWESOME.

[quote name='tcatsninfan']I haven't done a lot of searching around for it, but is there a website out there that's set up to give driving and tuning tips to Gran Turismo players?

My hurdle when playing past GT games was that I'm not a gearhead so I don't know what a lot of the parts do. An explanation of the parts--along with some racing tips--would be AWESOME.[/QUOTE]
When it comes to things like tuning your suspension, it does require a little researching. GT historically has done a phenomenal job in teaching you how to drive, how to drive like a maniac without brakes and some aspects of racing, mostly focusing on teaching you the fundamentals but the racing part is up to your level of aggressiveness. They had a great driving primer that I'm sure they're going to fall back on for this one.

In GT3 and 4 there were some neat tricks to make your front wheel car handle like a rear wheel and vice versa. I'd say hit up gamefaqs for GT3 and 4, they have tuning guides that will more than likely stay relevent.

[quote name='tcatsninfan']I haven't done a lot of searching around for it, but is there a website out there that's set up to give driving and tuning tips to Gran Turismo players?

My hurdle when playing past GT games was that I'm not a gearhead so I don't know what a lot of the parts do. An explanation of the parts--along with some racing tips--would be AWESOME.[/QUOTE]

Keep an eye on GTPlanet.net..

[quote name='Bazylik']You just gave me an idea of what would be a perfect game that suits freak's lifestyle. Test Drive Unlimited is catered just for him. :lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

Yah know... That was a good game for the sounds, but the physics blew... I'm hoping 2 is better.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Yah know... That was a good game for the sounds, but the physics blew... I'm hoping 2 is better.[/QUOTE]

For a game that allowed tons of players all in the same world, the game felt rather... lonely. Hawaii was really gray and drab and it just didn't seem very busy, if Team Ico made a racer it would be TDU. Hopefully the next one will be a bit better in this regard.

Anyways... I was thinking about getting one of the race chair/wheel combos for this (I figured it'd be good for my steel batallion controller too), are there cheaper options than going through the logitech site?

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I can't wait since I just won this game from the Subway contest :D[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome man. Do you get the game early?

Does this game have custom soundtracks?
I find myself doing much better in wipeout hd when i can bump some; from here to new york ;from Too $hort. I don't see any reason why this wouldnt have custom soundtracks but i haven't heard anything about it. Lol at the easy mode in this game, i heard people complaining at bestbuy that there was no car damage because they were in easy mode which is the default. I really hate how more and more games are doing this because most people i know are too impatient to read directions or go to the settings and they end up playing a nerfed game imo.

[quote name='FroMann']Thats awesome man. Do you get the game early?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, they est the delivery time at 8-10 weeks. I'm not to worried about getting it on release though.

Well i still can't get any custom soundtracks on my psp because i moved the root to a location i can't seem to find again. It was too complicated for me cause i had already messed around with all that stuff before i bought a game that supported custom soundtracks. Wipeout Hd, pain, and zen pinball were the only games i ever got to work with custom soundtracks and it pisses me off that getting custom soundtracks on the psp games is like a puzzle.

Life is Too $hort

I've got my pre-order in at Gamestop, I'd pick it up at Kmart but I really want the extra 2 cars and the Benz doesn't look like anything special(they never handled well in previous games).

[quote name='FroMann']Car rollovers confirmed.[/QUOTE]

:facepalm: Really? I mean ok, I suppose the first one not to mention it's a girl... I've never driven that car, but the second roll over? Uh... no.

Also, wtf with the hats... damn Japanese.

I skipped through the video and saw 1 rollover, it looked a bit unnatural but she was driving something similar to a bug at 82 mph lol. This could be quite entertaining with better cars.

[quote name='J7.']I skipped through the video and saw 1 rollover, it looked a bit unnatural but she was driving something similar to a bug at 82 mph lol. This could be quite entertaining with better cars.[/QUOTE]
Figure it was an entry level Fiat with no suspension upgrades and I think the Japanese use kph, so she flipped it going like 50. Anything that springy will probably roll if you don't bother to even brake or at least downshift into a turn. I doubt rolling over is going to be a huge ordeal with a couple of quick upgrades, once you drop the ride height, tighten up the springs and don't have a car that can be tipped over when hit by a shopping cart.

Been trying to search for this for a while... have their been in any gt5 CE deals going around? By deals I mean less than the msrp. I know amazon and gamestop have the typical CE available. Just want to know if amazon, for instance, offers game credit like they did with the purchase of the standard edition of gt5.

Kmart looks to be the only retailer actually doing deals on new releases right now. $20+ coupon with the purchase of GT5 and if you have any other releases in mind, you can get a coupon to put towards GT5. The Amazon stuff is fine, but I get taxed on Amazon so their credit doesn't really sway me since I'd have to wait on delivery versus just going there and having it in hand.

[quote name='Mad39er']Figure it was an entry level Fiat with no suspension upgrades and I think the Japanese use kph, so she flipped it going like 50. Anything that springy will probably roll if you don't bother to even brake or at least downshift into a turn. I doubt rolling over is going to be a huge ordeal with a couple of quick upgrades, once you drop the ride height, tighten up the springs and don't have a car that can be tipped over when hit by a shopping cart.[/QUOTE]

I want to see some higher end cars able to roll over occasionally, especially when contact is made in multiplayer. It will add another dynamic if they allow an option without penalties.

Look into the Apex Book in the JA CE, dunno if this is same as US CE book
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/products/gt5/campaign/
1 Driving Techniques
2 Mechanism
3 Tuning & Settings
4 Photo Mode
5 Course Index
6 Car Index

Cool interview
http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1009_gran_turismo_5/index.html

"In the game," explains Yamauchi, "you have the luxury of being able to push the car to 100 percent, and not worry about going off. But in the real world, you must tone that down to somewhere around 95 percent, so that you retain a small margin for error. You must remember that you are racing against REAL cars at speeds topping 150mph with REAL hazards and REAL guard rails." So on his second GT5 qualifying lap, he drove as if he was qualifying for the real world, and posted a time of 9 minutes 48 seconds.

During the actual Nurburgring 24-hour race on the following day, behind the wheel of the World Car Awards' Lexus IS F race car, Yamauchi posted a fastest lap time of... you guessed it: 9 minutes 48 seconds, an unbelievable feat that had us all doing a double-take. His performance shows GT5 is as close to real world racing as you can get, without actually jumping into a real race car.

"It was only when I launched the IS F over the Nurburgring's numerous jumping spots (in the real race) that I realized the landing areas were not all flat, as I originally thought in the game," he says. "Some landing patches are sloped to the left, some to the right. This is just one of the many challenges of the track, and amendments I will make to the game. As I pushed the car around the 15.5-mile track, I also realized that some details were different. Some trees which drivers use for cornering or braking markers were not quite in the right place, while some small buildings need to be adjusted too."

In a surprising development, you will not only be able to drive NASCAR racers on their home territory against well-known drivers in the Jeff Gordon NASCAR School, but you will also be able to take them onto the Nurburgring.

Potential Spoiler, picture of the Project X1 Prototype
gran-turismo-X1-prototype-front-teaser.jpg

I cannot wait for GT5! My second favorite game ever, I'll be on it for months. I hope Amazon or Best Buy put together a deal for folks that pre-order. Either way I'm buying this one the day it comes out.

Course maker in action. Nice, fast, and easy to use. I like to see how many combinations could be made on here. I also have a feeling a lot of the rallying in this game will use these courses. Generate a track, not have a map and no knowledge of the course, and have a co-pilot give you directions. We shall see at the end of the month. Can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmySSqu0tqA&feature=player_embedded#

Also here is a video of the Mclaren you can get with a pre-order at Gamestop, also shows the cars can get dirty now from riding on dirt courses atleast. This games graphics engine keeps getting better and better. I like the sound too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ozM0QTK1Vc&feature=player_embedded#

Looks as if GT5 has been delayed yet again. Word is that it will be out in time for the Christmas holidays.

Here is the PS Blog post.

We can confirm that Gran Turismo 5 will not be available this November 2nd, but the game’s release will be coming this holiday season.
We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches.
We’ll have more information for you in the near future.

Lol, I think this is one of the rare times where I'd endorse a 'release now, fix later' attitude. Otherwise it's never coming out.

Whats with this new trend of delaying games when they're less than a month away from release? I assume they've known about the delay for some time and just haven't told the general public until now due to the fact that for the game to have been ready for its Nov 2nd release date it should have gone gold a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Zoodux']Looks as if GT5 has been delayed yet again. Word is that it will be out in time for the Christmas holidays.

Here is the PS Blog post.[/QUOTE]

Great so now November will only have TWO big games, and those are sequels. I miss the holidays packed with releases.

Haha, I like the thread name change.

At least this gives me some extra time to pony up for a wheel, is the G27 basically the go-to wheel for this game?

I think I agree with Jodou on this one. I typically prefer delays over the release of buggy games but man...this is getting rediculous.

[quote name='iwannadie']What if duke nuke'em forever comes out before GT5....[/QUOTE]
2012 is right around the corner, so we may never know.

I don't buy their excuse. Honestly, if you look at the current situation with the ps3 and the scares with piracy, that can only be the reasonable explanation.

I think they were ready to print these discs, and realized that their firmware requirement wasn't in place (3.41 or below). Since this is a signature Sony product, they would not take a chance at losing any revenue...hence 2 weeks before delivery they send out this BS notice.

As bad as they're with their dates, decisions about shipping and printing dates were made a long time ago. In this one instance you can blame piracy (even when we're not supposed to discuss it here).

257kbba.gif

At least I can buy Rock Band 3 now. I am waiting till Christmas now for Gran Turismo 5. Seriously Polyphony/Sony I was really fucking excited and VERY patient and you pull this shit, God damn it. :bomb:

Jeezus, what the hell is wrong with the game that was so serious that it demanded delaying the game two weeks before it was "confirmed" to be launched?? I can't imagine what they need to tweak now that can't just be done with a patch later. They better have a Porsche license signed, sealed and delivered to justify this kind of shenanigans.

To let everyone know before they go all crazy wondering why it takes so long to bring GT5 out. It's because modeling a car on PS3 takes SIX times longer on PS3 compared to PS2 (over 180 times longer than PS1):
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/12/kazunori-yamauchi-dishes-more-gran-turismo-5-details.ars
There's no question that the level of quality and attention to detail in the painstaking recreations of real cars that Gran Turismo is known for must take a lot of work, but Yamauchi was quick to explain just how much work is really necessary. "In GT and GT2, both for PS1, a designer spent a day to model a car. In GT3 and GT4, for PS2, the same worker spent a month modeling the same car due to the increased amount of polygons. In GT5 for PS3, they require six months to do the same job," Yamauchi explained.

If GT5 Prologue was released at the end of 2007/early 2008 with the amount of content it had (taking under 2 years to make), that explains why GT5 will take a while. I knew all along it wasn't coming any earlier than Winter 2009. Due to adding carts, track designing, etc., that's going to take even longer.

bread's done
Back