Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

[quote name='The Mana Knight']To let everyone know before they go all crazy wondering why it takes so long to bring GT5 out. It's because modeling a car on PS3 takes SIX times longer on PS3 compared to PS2 (over 180 times longer than PS1):
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/12/kazunori-yamauchi-dishes-more-gran-turismo-5-details.ars

If GT5 Prologue was released at the end of 2007/early 2008 with the amount of content it had (taking under 2 years to make), that explains why GT5 will take a while. I knew all along it wasn't coming any earlier than Winter 2009. Due to adding carts, track designing, etc., that's going to take even longer.[/QUOTE]
We know that, that game was basically done when the launch date was announced. My guess is that a small glitch was found in the game, and instead of patching the game on release day they rather put the fix straight into the game on launch.

I hope GT5 can/will recoup their development cost, considering 5 years of financing the development team. Otherwise, GT6 might not see the light of day...

[quote name='eau']I hope GT5 can/will recoup their development cost, considering 5 years of financing the development team. Otherwise, GT6 might not see the light of day...[/QUOTE]

I don't think that'll be an issue. GT3 sold almost 15 million copies, and GT4 sold around 10 million. GT5 Prologue and GT PSP has sold a combined 5-6 million, which should cover the cost of the three titles. My guess for GT5 would be around 9 million sales.

When I was a kid, I saved up all of my UPC's from my G.I. Joe toys to get this bad ass flying hovercraft thingy. My mom helped me cut out the UPC's, fill out the order form and pack it all in the envelope with the $3.00 for shipping. And then I waited and waited. And waited. The hovercraft thing never came.

Fast forward 20+ years and here I am waiting again. Waiting still hurts.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']To let everyone know before they go all crazy wondering why it takes so long to bring GT5 out. It's because modeling a car on PS3 takes SIX times longer on PS3 compared to PS2 (over 180 times longer than PS1):
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/12/kazunori-yamauchi-dishes-more-gran-turismo-5-details.ars

If GT5 Prologue was released at the end of 2007/early 2008 with the amount of content it had (taking under 2 years to make), that explains why GT5 will take a while. I knew all along it wasn't coming any earlier than Winter 2009. Due to adding carts, track designing, etc., that's going to take even longer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we get it. It takes time to accomplish perfection, but this is ridiculous. I was going to get it at launch, but now I'm just going to cancel my pre-order. I'll get it whenever it's really, really cheap, since I've waited this long already.

I personally think GT5 was delayed since the guy wants to fix the real world tracks since he found that Nurburing(sp?) had slopes on their jumps when in the game they're flat. Not to mention fixing all the tree locations and graffiti. I hope they have something awesome for this delay because I've been craving this game like crack.

This is just like GT 2. They finally got it out 2 days before Xmas and it still had bugs and glitches. I hope they avoid that this time. I can only imagine the horror when people don't get their platinum trophy because they're stuck at 98.8% :lol:

More time to work on the backlog, including GT5 Prologue :lol: I could care less about another delay unless it was like 6+ months. Let em finish all the car's to reach 1,000, fix the track details, get everything polished up.

The track maker looks fun. I hope it's not just a database of pre-made tracks that are hiding behind the parameters we set. I was surprised they had the driving line for those tracks. All depends on how that is coded.

[quote name='eau']I hope GT5 can/will recoup their development cost, considering 5 years of financing the development team. Otherwise, GT6 might not see the light of day...[/QUOTE]

GT 5 Prologue already made up most if not all the money that GT 5 has cost to make.

[quote name='hpbbes']When I was a kid, I saved up all of my UPC's from my G.I. Joe toys to get this bad ass flying hovercraft thingy. My mom helped me cut out the UPC's, fill out the order form and pack it all in the envelope with the $3.00 for shipping. And then I waited and waited. And waited. The hovercraft thing never came.

Fast forward 20+ years and here I am waiting again. Waiting still hurts.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:s
Bastards

Waiting's gotta stop

Come on guys, doesn't every single GT get delayed including a final delay in the final month before the release. We're all used to waiting for GT anyways.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']To let everyone know before they go all crazy wondering why it takes so long to bring GT5 out. It's because modeling a car on PS3 takes SIX times longer on PS3 compared to PS2 (over 180 times longer than PS1)[/QUOTE]

:Yawn:

Looks like the delay was caused because Polyphony was 3 days late on development and production of the game itself.

A journalist colleague of ours, Gregor Wildermann, who is visiting Tokyo and Polyphony Digital passed on information of what Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi had to say about the cancelled release date of Gran Turismo 5.

His reply was that the game was only three days late from their side, and that Sony has to decide what that means for the release. And so far Sony have not given gamers a new date, but hopefully the wait won't have to be that long.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/5235/Gran+Turismo+5+just+3+days+late?/

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp has delayed the launch of "Gran Turismo 5," the latest version of the top-selling motor racing game for its PlayStation 3 console, but still plans for it to hit the market in time for the year-end shopping season.

Production difficulties were to blame for the delay, said company spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka.

The announcement marks the second delay for the much-awaited game. It was to have hit stores in the United States and Europe on November 2 and Japan the following day.

The electronics giant has sold more than 56 million copies of Gran Turismo since its initial launch in 1997, and previewed 3D images of the latest version at the Tokyo Game Show in September.

Sony is trying to attract casual gamers to PlayStation ahead of the year-end with its Move motion-controlled accessories, but needs offerings like Gran Turismo to retain the loyalty of core fans.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCATRE69D0R420101014

Hopefully it comes out before Christmas.

Sony delaying the game because it was three days late doesn't seem right. Sony already delayed one of their biggest games this holiday, when they moved LittleBigPlanet 2 to next year. I doubt they'd want to do the same thing to what will probably be the biggest PS3 game so far. Sony wants to make money. Delaying the game means they get potentially less money. There was probably a much better reason for it being delayed.

Sony delayed the game again because of the PSJailbreak. GT5 was about to go gold, but Sony stopped it because it was using the 3.41 SDK, not the 3.50 SDK. They mandated that all games released from here on out need to be made wtih the 3.50 SDK. This guarantees that anybody with a hacked PS3 will not be able to play the game, as 3.42/3.50 have different game encryption keys than 3.41.

I love that the PS3 got hacked, but I really feel bad for all the legitimate users out there. They removed Other OS, they disable all 3rd party USB devices and now this. The reason I support the PS3 being hacked is because I love the homebrew scene. Yet, I own 20+ PS3 games and GT5 is going to be one of the ones I buy. I just find it unfortunate that Sony is lashing out at you guys. :(

So I'm screwed by holding out with the firmware that lets me install other OSs... ? fail.

Although... to be honest I doubt I'll use that feature, I figure... it will be more "valuable" when I sell the PS3. (Probably right after I play this stupid game if it ever comes out...)

So if it's due to production delays as a result of the firmware issue, I say push back production of movies on Bluray and free up space for GT. Take your pick.

November 09, 2010
Antichrist (Criterion)
Big Daddy (Sony)
Charlie St. Cloud (Universal)
The Christmas Collection (20th Century Fox)
A Christmas Carol/Miracle on 34th Street (1947) (Holiday Classics Collection) (20th Century Fox)
A Christmas Carol (1984) (20th Century Fox)
Damned by Dawn: The Dead Will Rise (Image)
DC Showcase: Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam (Warner Brothers)
Depeche Mode: Tour of the Universe - Live in Barcelona (EMI America)
Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series (BBC)
The Dry Land (Maya)
Grown Ups (Sony)
Grown Ups (Combo Pack) (Sony)
Hunt to Kill (Starz/Anchor Bay)
Locked Down (Lionsgate)
Love Ranch (National Media)
Metalocalypse: Season III - The Dead Man (Warner Brothers)
Mr. Deeds (Sony)
Night at the Museum Collection (20th Century Fox)
Ocean's 11: 50th Anniversary Edition (Warner Brothers)
Ramona and Beezus (20th Century Fox)
Robin-B-Hood (Vivendi)
Scooby-Doo/Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (Warner Brothers)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Universal)
Sherlock: Season One (BBC)
Tremors (Universal)

November 11, 2010
Lottery Ticket (Warner Brothers)

November 16, 2010
Ancient Aliens: The Complete Season One (A&E)
Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition (3-Disc Set) (20th Century Fox)
Bruce Springsteen - The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story (Sony Music)
Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (Warner Brothers)
Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - 3D (Warner Brothers)
Children of the Corn (2009) (Starz/Anchor Bay)
A Christmas Carol - 3D (2009) (4-Disc Combo Pack) (Disney/Buena Vista)
A Christmas Carol (2009) (Single Disc Edition) (Disney/Buena Vista)
Clash of the Titans (2010) - 3D (Warner Brothers)
Crowley (Starz/Anchor Bay)
The Extra Man (Magnolia)
Falling Down (Non-Digibook) (Warner Brothers)
Ghost Machine (Starz/Anchor Bay)
Great Migrations (National Geographic)
IMAX: Deep Sea - 3D (Warner Brothers)
IMAX: Space Station - 3D (Warner Brothers)
IMAX: Under the Sea - 3D (Warner Brothers)
The Kids Are All Right (Universal)
The Last Airbender (Single Disc Edition) (Paramount)
The Last Airbender (Combo Pack) (Paramount)
The Last Airbender - 3D (Paramount)
Modern Times (Criterion)
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) (Warner)
The Night of the Hunter (Criterion)
Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film in 3D (Sony)
Open Season - 3D (Sony)
The Polar Express - 3D (Warner Brothers)
The Shawshank Redemption (Non-Digibook) (Warner Brothers)
Sherlock Jr./Three Ages (Kino)
Sherlock Jr./Three Ages (Kino)
Sondheim: The Birthday Concert (Image)
Spider-Man (Sony)
Spider-Man 2 (Sony)
Staunton Hill (Starz/Anchor Bay)
The Twilight Zone: Season 2 (1960) (Image)
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Non-digibook) (Warner Brothers)
The World at War (A&E)

November 22, 2010
Regina Spektor: Live in London (Sire/Warner Music)

November 23, 2010
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Criterion)
Countdown to Zero (Magnolia)
Deadwood: The Complete Series (HBO)
Diary of a Mad Black Woman (Lionsgate)
The Disappearance of Alice Creed (Starz/Anchor Bay)
Eat Pray Love (Sony)
The Expendables (Lionsgate)
The Family that Preys (Lionsgate)
Flipped (Warner Brothers)
The Hunting Party (Weinstein)
I'm Still Here (Magnolia)
Madea Goes to Jail (Lionsgate)
Madea Goes to Jail (Lionsgate)
Madea's Family Reunion (Lionsgate)
The Pillars of the Earth (Sony)
Salon Kitty (Blue Underground)
The Search For Santa Paws (Disney/Buena Vista)
Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family (The Play) (Lionsgate)
Why Did I Get Married? (Lionsgate)

November 30, 2010
Bee Movie (Combo Pack) (DreamWorks)
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 (2-Movie Collection) (Walt Disney)
Kill Zone (Vivendi)
Knight and Day (Blu-ray/DVD Holiday Combo Pack) (20th Century Fox)
Knight and Day (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy) (20th Century Fox)
Madagascar (Combo Pack) (DreamWorks)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (Combo Pack) (DreamWorks)
Meet the Fockers (Universal)
Meet the Parents (Universal)
Monsters vs. Aliens (Combo Pack) (DreamWorks)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Combo Pack) (Disney/Buena Vista)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Disney/Buena Vista)
Space 1999: The Complete Season One (A&E)
Vampires Suck (20th Century Fox)
The Wiz (Universal)

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5s-damage-endurance-races-discussed-at-room299-press-event/
Partial confirmation that you’ll be able to save your progress during endurance races (a much-wanted feature in Gran Turismo 4).

Damage severity is linked to the game’s difficulty settings: “easy, medium, hard or standard and professional”.

You will be able to manage B-Spec races from both your PC’s web browser and mobile device.
Re-confirmation that “all” of your cars in Gran Turismo PSP can be transferred to GT5 and will be playable in Arcade Mode.

New and improved Gran Turismo TV will return from GT5: Prologue.

Blitz also got to see the “head tracking” or “face tracking” setup and calibration screens. He managed to capture this brief video before he being asked to stop, but he described an adjustable level of sensitivity. He also mentions that face tracking only works when playing the game from “cockpit view”.

[quote name='VipFREAK']So I'm screwed by holding out with the firmware that lets me install other OSs... ? fail.

Although... to be honest I doubt I'll use that feature, I figure... it will be more "valuable" when I sell the PS3. (Probably right after I play this stupid game if it ever comes out...)[/QUOTE]

hahahaha... you just can't help yourself, it's just gotta be in your nature to say stupid things, isn't it? How old are you?

[quote name='J7.']So if it's due to production delays as a result of the firmware issue, I say push back production of movies on Bluray and free up space for GT. Take your pick.[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean, but I'll give an answer to what I think you mean. :lol:

At this point, it's up to the developer's again. Sony mandated the 3.50 SDK, which means that all the code has to be re-looked through to make sure it's compatible. Now, I have copies of the 1.92 and 3.41 SDK, and I've seen the differences between them. It takes a fair amount of time to move from 1.92 to 3.41. Now, upgrading to 3.50 from 3.41 isn't as big of a deal, but with a game this large, it still take a fair amount of time. They have to back and search through every line of code to make sure that it's taking use of the new function calls and using the new header files properly. So, in short, it's no easy task.

You can bet that the devs are working 24/7 trying to get it to work fully with 3.50, but even after they do that, they still have to test it for 3 or 4 days. Honestly, I think Sony could have found a better way to keep pirates from downloading the game, but whatever. A week or two delay isn't too bad.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean, but I'll give an answer to what I think you mean. :lol:

At this point, it's up to the developer's again. Sony mandated the 3.50 SDK, which means that all the code has to be re-looked through to make sure it's compatible. Now, I have copies of the 1.92 and 3.41 SDK, and I've seen the differences between them. It takes a fair amount of time to move from 1.92 to 3.41. Now, upgrading to 3.50 from 3.41 isn't as big of a deal, but with a game this large, it still take a fair amount of time. They have to back and search through every line of code to make sure that it's taking use of the new function calls and using the new header files properly. So, in short, it's no easy task.

You can bet that the devs are working 24/7 trying to get it to work fully with 3.50, but even after they do that, they still have to test it for 3 or 4 days. Honestly, I think Sony could have found a better way to keep pirates from downloading the game, but whatever. A week or two delay isn't too bad.[/QUOTE]
Kaz already said that they were only late three days so that means the game is done already and everything is in place. He also said that it's up to Sony now to find the right spot on the calendar.

[quote name='Bazylik']Kaz already said that they were only late three days so that means the game is done already and everything is in place. He also said that it's up to Sony now to find the right spot on the calendar.[/QUOTE]

OK, I see. I wasn't aware of this. Well, one theory that's been going around is that Sony is trying to space the gap between the new CoD and GT5 as much as possible. Also, the closer to the holiday season it gets released, the more copies it will sell.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean, but I'll give an answer to what I think you mean. :lol:

You can bet that the devs are working 24/7 trying to get it to work fully with 3.50, but even after they do that, they still have to test it for 3 or 4 days. Honestly, I think Sony could have found a better way to keep pirates from downloading the game, but whatever. A week or two delay isn't too bad.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of the reason (whether that's due to needing time to get it on 3.50 SDK or time to fix the actual game), signs point to production being the end-problem. With the delay they no longer have production easily available to print the number of copies they need. So I say open up production by delaying some Bluray films or other Bluray games. When I say production available I mean that there are factories that are not already all filling existing orders. Maybe they can speed up production on some things to open up space later. Having looked at the articles online the production issue seemed to be mentioned from more sources than the 3.50 SDK. I would agree that the problem is due to 3.50 SDK mandate though.

fuck Black-Ops. Release this mother the week of Black Friday or the week after. That's far enough away from stupid Black-Ops.

Love the fact that people have waited 6 years for this game to come out and because of one last 30 day delay, many are not going to get it on release. Hahahahahahahah lol you guys are ridiculous!

[quote name='smiggity']Love the fact that people have waited 6 years for this game to come out and because of one last 30 day delay, many are not going to get it on release. Hahahahahahahah lol you guys are ridiculous![/QUOTE]
Yeah some are overreacting a bit. I am still pissed off about this delay but that wont stop me from buying/getting the game. There is other shit to play other than Gran Turismo.

[quote name='Halo05']Welp, just cancelled my preorder. I'll buy this used down the road. Good job Sony, keep on keepin' on.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't like it was PD fault about the delay and it's stretching it to just blame Sony. Would you rather GT 5 get pirated after they spent so much time creating it? You should be mad at the people who tried to hack the PS3 for creating the problem that needed to be avoided.

[quote name='J7.']It wasn't like it was PD fault about the delay and it's stretching it to just blame Sony. Would you rather GT 5 get pirated after they spent so much time creating it? You should be mad at the people who tried to hack the PS3 for creating the problem that needed to be avoided.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I too cancelled my pre-order. Sony and most other publishers fail to understand that a pirate would've never bought the game anyways.

[quote name='dragonjud']Meh, I too cancelled my pre-order. Sony and most other publishers fail to understand that a pirate would've never bought the game anyways.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the boat that it's silly of people to cancel pre-orders because of a delay. The difference between making a purchase and pirating a game is huge. If I have the chance to get the music I want for free because something is so widely available, it's hard not to. Musicians have had albums simply fail because of widespread piracy, which is why they started streaming their music in attempts to combat the problem. Sony doesn't have that recourse with a 55 million dollar game.

It's not an issue of Sony being a bunch of c-blockers, they're minding the IP, reinforcing their ability to defend their developers and making it so not every Johnny come-lately will have a hacked PS3 vs current hacked 360 situation. I'm all for a delay if I'm going to spend $60-100 dollars on a game, I don't want some idiot circumventing that and bringing the developer of a game I love down. It only hurts us more because in the Asian and European markets, piracy will kill games faster there before they have a chance to arrive here.

[quote name='dragonjud']Meh, I too cancelled my pre-order. Sony and most other publishers fail to understand that a pirate would've never bought the game anyways.[/QUOTE]

Actually, we buy games if we want them and have no other way of attaining them. So now that the PS3 is hacked, many people will no longer buy PS3 games. Although I'm being very not-pirate like, as I'm still buying PS3 games. In fact, I'm going to buy GT5 even if I can pirate it.

Well I wish they would at least give me a new date. I was not planning on buying the new CoD because GT5 would be out soon after. Or maybe I found my excuse to buy NBA 2k11. I had basically not been shopping for games at all these last few months, knowing they would all collect dust after November 2.

You're only punishing yourself by canceling your preorder and sending the message that you'd rather have a game you really enjoy subject to piracy then having to wait a few weeks or 1.5 months. A company will always delay a high profile game if it means avoiding piracy. This is PS3's #1 IP, in development since GT 4 was released (5-6) years ago, and with a budget over 60 million (they stopped saying the actual budget because people started to focus on that instead of the game). They're doing the right thing.

[quote name='J7.']You're only punishing yourself by canceling your preorder and sending the message that you'd rather have a game you really enjoy subject to piracy then having to wait a few weeks or 1.5 months. A company will always delay a high profile game if it means avoiding piracy. This is PS3's #1 IP, in development since GT 4 was released (5-6) years ago, and with a budget over 60 million (they stopped saying the actual budget because people started to focus on that instead of the game). They're doing the right thing.[/QUOTE]
Well I do not think everyone is cancelling their pre-order. The limited editions of Gran Turismo 5 on Amazon and Gamestop.com are already sold out.

RUMOR:

I've just been PM'd the following regarding the release date of GT 5 - "Today early morning the date november 30th popped up at the US distributors internal mail. Just to let you know. If you want post it as a rumour." We checked the day of this date and it is indeed a Tuesday, the common day for game releases in the USA.

source: http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?42607

I hope this rumor turns out to be true. A 28 day delay wouldn't be so bad.

[quote name='Jville808']I hope this rumor turns out to be true. A 28 day delay wouldn't be so bad.[/QUOTE]
Until everyone is infected by a virus and start nom-noming on you 28 Days Later. . .

[quote name='FroMann']Well I do not think everyone is cancelling their pre-order. The limited editions of Gran Turismo 5 on Amazon and Gamestop.com are already sold out.[/QUOTE]

It's just the whole principle of the thing, especially telling others they're going to cancel. I don't expect any noticeable effect on sales and I think some of the people who say they're canceling their pre-order are just voicing their frustration and won't be canceling it.

Eh, I cancelled it months ago. I gave up on this game. I may still pick it up down the road or on release day but as of now I don't care about Gran Turismo anymore.

[quote name='Thongsy']... I don't care about Gran Turismo anymore.[/QUOTE]

... he says while posting in the Gran Turismo thread...

[quote name='dizzlle01']Is there any announcement of a new date yet? I was ready for this game on Nov 2.[/QUOTE]

I was ready to play this Nov. 2nd.................2007

[quote name='dizzlle01']Is there any announcement of a new date yet? I was ready for this game on Nov 2.[/QUOTE]

You don't get to play it until the afterlife.

I was in Gamestop today and they had 1/1 listed as the GT5 release date up on a big calendar behind the registers.

However, if you look at a calendar you'll see that January 1st is a Saturday, not to mention New Year's Day, and I highly doubt it'd be coming out then.

While 1/1/11 is SD'd (street-dated) every employee but one has said the e-mail sent out when GT5 was delayed recently CLEARLY said that 1/1/11 was simply a guess/placeholder. I'm personally expecting late November, early December. No way Sony is going to let GT5 slip past holiday sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back