Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

Oh fuck me. Do you know what my driver's greatest weakness is? Straight lines on Suzuka in the Nostalgic race.

The idiot can't even drive in a straight line. He's in the blue, and he can't take a fucking straight line. He gives up so many positions because he's flopping around like a fish out of water and eventually stops off of the track to let all the other cars pass until he can safely get back on the track because he spun himself off of the track and is facing the wall.

It's like I'm playing a sick practical joke.

And you know what the craziest part is? As soon as I stopped caring and stopped giving him direction and started making this post, he pulled out a 3rd place finish. He was like 8th or something when I stopped giving a crap.

Doc Brown had better appear on my TV screen and say "GREAT SCOTT!!!" as soon as I win the DeLorean. Screw that. Doc Brown had better be driving a DeLorean into my driveway, and he'd better be giving it to me for free.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Oh fuck me. Do you know what my driver's greatest weakness is? Straight lines on Suzuka in the Nostalgic race.

The idiot can't even drive in a straight line. He's in the blue, and he can't take a fucking straight line. He gives up so many positions because he's flopping around like a fish out of water and eventually stops off of the track to let all the other cars pass until he can safely get back on the track because he spun himself off of the track and is facing the wall.

And you know what the craziest part is? As soon as I stopped caring and stopped giving him direction and started making this post, he pulled out a 3rd place finish. He was like 8th or something when I stopped giving a crap.

Doc Brown had better appear on my TV screen and say "GREAT SCOTT!!!" as soon as I win the DeLorean. Screw that. Doc Brown had better be driving a DeLorean into my driveway, and he'd better be giving it to me for free.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you shouldn't have him in a high horsepower machine and he could drive it. Ever see youtube videos of people spinning out of control because the car is too much for them. That sounds like what you have going on. Put him in a slower car and I bet the straights become doable.

It would also seem the developers did something right, you are playing something you seem to truly hate.

ARGH! BITCH! I completed the Nostalgic series with a silver, bronze, and bronze, and I didn't get the DeLorean. You must need to get gold on all the races to get the car. This sucks.

[quote name='iwannadie']Maybe you shouldn't have him in a high horsepower machine and he could drive it. Ever see youtube videos of people spinning out of control because the car is too much for them. That sounds like what you have going on. Put him in a slower car and I bet the straights become doable.

It would also seem the developers did something right, you are playing something you seem to truly hate.[/QUOTE]

It's not the car's fault. My driver's a moron. Who can't drive straight? Not to mention he continually brakes behind other cars that he could easily pass and refuses to avoid accidents. He T-bones other cars, too.

B-Spec is pants-on-head retarded.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Eh, I made sure he had the best cornering ability I was able to get for a level 0 driver. Then I lucked out and got a driver whose personality defaults to the middle of the cool zone. As for the rest, I wasn't really paying much attention.[/QUOTE]Ah, I found that my driver who is 3/4 into the cool zone performs better than the one that's 100% blue. I'm going to try training another driver just to confirm what I end up with in terms of personality but I think I know whats going on and how that affects their racing.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Oh fuck me. Do you know what my driver's greatest weakness is? Straight lines on Suzuka in the Nostalgic race.

And you know what the craziest part is? As soon as I stopped caring and stopped giving him direction and started making this post, he pulled out a 3rd place finish. He was like 8th or something when I stopped giving a crap.[/QUOTE]Try keeping your driver in the middle of the stress bar or about 1/3rd into red. Also see if his accuracy rating is piss poor, since that's their ability to maintain an ideal driving line. Blue drivers are great for cornering but straights you have to keep them motivated towards the red. Pacing isn't so much what the car is doing but what your driver is setting the pace for himself. It wouldn't hurt to run the car in a straight line and see what may be the issue either, you may need to repair the chassis, tune the car or something else. I'd say watch the replay and see where he goes wrong.

[quote name='Chuplayer']ARGH! BITCH! I completed the Nostalgic series with a silver, bronze, and bronze, and I didn't get the DeLorean. You must need to get gold on all the races to get the car. This sucks.

It's not the car's fault. My driver's a moron. Who can't drive straight? Not to mention he continually brakes behind other cars that he could easily pass and refuses to avoid accidents. He T-bones other cars, too.

B-Spec is pants-on-head retarded.[/QUOTE]Check to see if your driver's arrow is red, green or blue before the start of the match. Blue pointing up = he's up, green = neutral, red pointing down = down and a red driver should be given a rest to get out of their funk.

Stop playing it and stop posting the exact same point over and over. You don't like it. Great. Move on. Your obsession with the DeLorean is almost as sad as your obsession with continually posting the exact same type of message over and over.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Stop playing it and stop posting the exact same point over and over. You don't like it. Great. Move on. Your obsession with the DeLorean is almost as sad as your obsession with continually posting the exact same type of message over and over.[/QUOTE]
Eh, I was in the exact same position and sentiments earlier so I understand exactly what Chuplayer feels when a driver doesn't do what you want them to do. I literally have yelled at my driver(not at my TV) and told him to just quit if he wants to finish a race in last place, not just once either. Sometimes things get to you, especially if you're the type of driver who can't let go of the wheel and gets upset when easy passes are not taken advantage of.

B-Spec has a learning curve that really doesn't show it's self very well since it's not in the manual. Up until now, dominating with an overpowered car was easy button. I expect the majority of people who use overpowered cars will run into his situation at one point or another when they can't use their easy button like the way they want to.

[quote name='Mad39er']Eh, I was in the exact same position and sentiments earlier so I understand exactly what Chuplayer feels when a driver doesn't do what you want them to do. I literally have yelled at my driver(not at my TV) and told him to just quit if he wants to finish a race in last place, not just once either. Sometimes things get to you, especially if you're the type of driver who can't let go of the wheel and gets upset when easy passes are not taken advantage of.

B-Spec has a learning curve that really doesn't show it's self very well since it's not in the manual. Up until now, dominating with an overpowered car was easy button. I expect the majority of people who use overpowered cars will run into his situation at one point or another when they can't use their easy button like the way they want to.[/QUOTE]

Well said. B-Spec just takes getting used to. What helps me out a lot is the cockpit view. And he's right I had the Integra Type R with a second stage turbo and the driver just couldnt handle it in corners, I took the turbo off and he still dominated.

Anyone by any chance know the song that plays in the online lounge? I can't seem to find it in the music library. It's the one that starts with piano, sticks in a funky bassline and has children voices singing the backing to the verse/chorus.

I must know, it's stuck in my head.

To hear it, open/join a lounge and watch race then back out to the lobby.

edit: found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhuGMK18Bss

First let me say that I love the racing in this game. When I'm on the tracks everything is good. It's everything else in the game I have issues with. I don't care about B-Spec, but below are a few things that piss me off, and are inexcusable after such a long development time.

- Why can't I replay a race in A-Spec. I have to load out, then load the track back again. And if I screw up a race in a series, I have to load the next race before I can quit the series? Really?

- No brakes? So if I put 1000hp into my skyline Im stopping it with stock brakes?

- Overall dumbing down of tuning. Why can't I adjust individual gear ratios in a racing trans? I seem to only be able to change the top speed. The effects of non HP boosting parts are poorly explained. No more brand name parts?

- Lack of customization. No wheel changes for 80% of the cars in the game? 'Standard' edition cars really are second class citizens in this game.

- Why are races offered to me that I can't race? I can't close out the Amateur series races because I've never seen a pickup truck for sale anywhere ever.

I'm level 15 and still playing, but PD needs to address some of these issues. I hope they plan to support and improve the game with frequent updates.

[quote name='Mad39er']Check to see if your driver's arrow is red, green or blue before the start of the match. Blue pointing up = he's up, green = neutral, red pointing down = down and a red driver should be given a rest to get out of their funk.[/QUOTE]

That's what that means?

This sucks, dude.

My main driver is now level 11. I think he can gold Laguna Seca. He already golded the other two races in the Nostalgic series. Now to give him a rest by using a driver I don't give a crap about and then going back to him when he's got an up arrow again.

[quote name='Puffa469']- Overall dumbing down of tuning. Why can't I adjust individual gear ratios in a racing trans? I seem to only be able to change the top speed.[/quote]

I think you can change individual gear ratios, but only if you're "expert enough". I don't know what will qualify you to be able to change the gear ratios, though.

- Why are races offered to me that I can't race? I can't close out the Amateur series races because I've never seen a pickup truck for sale anywhere ever.

Yes, it's a bit of a crapshoot with the used car dealer. Pickups are rare in the game. Watch out for the Daytona race when you do get your pickup, though. It's insane. Somebody took me out, and I flipped like eight times. It was nuts. I saved the replay.

[quote name='Chuplayer']That's what that means?

This sucks, dude.

My main driver is now level 11. I think he can gold Laguna Seca. He already golded the other two races in the Nostalgic series. Now to give him a rest by using a driver I don't give a crap about and then going back to him when he's got an up arrow again.[/QUOTE]
Just finished up my Red driver experience, they work awesome if you pair a Red driver one race and a Blue driver the other, one race with my Red driver the blue one shot up a mood to a Blue arrow from Green without racing. Getting rid of the other driver seemed to have helped his confidence a ton since the other driver had a bad track record of like 8 out of 30 vs 10 out of 13.

It's only anecdotal but I just think it's odd a brand new Red driver winning his first race for me bumped the other driver's mood. I won't go to deep into it with my primer.

I was thinking we could have some sort of weekly CAG races.

Maybe set a horsepower range (i.e. 175-225hp). It would be pretty cool if everyone chose a car they liked and tweaked it in the tuning shop with whatever upgrades and pit them against each other.

Maybe we can choose like 3 tracks and hold our own sort of championship race.

[quote name='option.iv']I was thinking we could have some sort of weekly CAG races.

Maybe set a horsepower range (i.e. 175-225hp). It would be pretty cool if everyone chose a car they liked and tweaked it in the tuning shop with whatever upgrades and pit them against each other.

Maybe we can choose like 3 tracks and hold our own sort of championship race.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely up for that. Perhaps up the HP a bit to something in the 300's? I would like to push for default setups for fairness sake, but doesn't matter so long as we're having fun.

1. Got my DeLorean. I'm happy. I'm never touching B-Spec ever again.

2. I went to 88 miles per hour and saw some serious shit.

292388-LUEFNMN.jpg

4. CAG online night? Man, even 300-400HP is for wussies. Crank that power to the max!

I posted up my B-Spec primer if anybody is interested.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=17746
Hopefully it helps people understand B-Spec as I understand it.

[quote name='option.iv']I was thinking we could have some sort of weekly CAG races.

Maybe we can choose like 3 tracks and hold our own sort of championship race.[/QUOTE]I like one-make races a lot, it puts more emphasis on the driver than the car. I'd definitely do one-makes and weight classes with horsepower restrictions.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm definitely up for that. Perhaps up the HP a bit to something in the 300's? I would like to push for default setups for fairness sake, but doesn't matter so long as we're having fun.[/QUOTE]
I know supposedly there was to be an option to B-Spec race your friends, I think this would be pretty fair and cool if set up properly.
[quote name='Chuplayer']1. Got my DeLorean. I'm happy. I'm never touching B-Spec ever again.[/QUOTE]
Congrats, hope the tips helped.

[quote name='Puffa469']First let me say that I love the racing in this game. When I'm on the tracks everything is good. It's everything else in the game I have issues with. I don't care about B-Spec, but below are a few things that piss me off, and are inexcusable after such a long development time.

- Why can't I replay a race in A-Spec. I have to load out, then load the track back again. And if I screw up a race in a series, I have to load the next race before I can quit the series? Really?

- No brakes? So if I put 1000hp into my skyline Im stopping it with stock brakes?

- Overall dumbing down of tuning. Why can't I adjust individual gear ratios in a racing trans? I seem to only be able to change the top speed. The effects of non HP boosting parts are poorly explained. No more brand name parts?

- Lack of customization. No wheel changes for 80% of the cars in the game? 'Standard' edition cars really are second class citizens in this game.

I'm level 15 and still playing, but PD needs to address some of these issues. I hope they plan to support and improve the game with frequent updates.[/QUOTE]

The first pick up truck that I got, I won it. Never seen it for sale. I won it when I did finished the WRC tracks in Special Event (I think). Keep playing... you'll get one of the truck.

[quote name='Thomas96']The first pick up truck that I got, I won it. Never seen it for sale. I won it when I did finished the WRC tracks in Special Event (I think). Keep playing... you'll get one of the truck.[/QUOTE]

I have seen one pickup for sale in the used dealership the entire time I have been playing, granted it hasn't been very long.

I do agree it is kinda frustrating to not be able to purchase a car to do one particular race because the lolrandomusedcargenerator didn't roll on a car you need.

[quote name='jello44']I have seen one pickup for sale in the used dealership the entire time I have been playing, granted it hasn't been very long.

I do agree it is kinda frustrating to not be able to purchase a car to do one particular race because the lolrandomusedcargenerator didn't roll on a car you need.[/QUOTE]

Its really best to do the Specialty events because when you do those you hardly even need a car and you gain more experience.

Anybody liking these small lightweight cars? I just got the Nissan mm-R rally car, it rivals my Autozam without even being tuned and comes with racing tires, really sweet FF car for bronzing the A license, working on the gold, silver is a Atenza Concept which is not really anything special.

I tried 30 mins to win the fucking first top gear event today with no luck. Damn that race is hell for me, it's like the opponents can do anything and not get DQ'ed but if I do one thing wrong I get DQ'ed :lol:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I tried 30 mins to win the fucking first top gear event today with no luck. Damn that race is hell for me, it's like the opponents can do anything and not get DQ'ed but if I do one thing wrong I get DQ'ed :lol:[/QUOTE]
I just Golded A10(last race I needed for A License gold) and am trying to avoid that Top Gear VW bus track, it's really screwed up because they go faster than you, I may have to try taking ABS off for that one though since you do go like stupid amounts faster for having it off.

A2 needed ABS taken off, A8 needed ABS taken off and A10 sucked but I finished A a lot faster than the B license set. I did glitch B5 though, I wasn't going to sacrifice more of my life to one retarded test. The A Licenses were simple enough overall.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I tried 30 mins to win the fucking first top gear event today with no luck. Damn that race is hell for me, it's like the opponents can do anything and not get DQ'ed but if I do one thing wrong I get DQ'ed :lol:[/QUOTE]

I finally got it done. Took about an hour, an hour and half of doing it over and over. You'll need to brake late and draft or you'll have no chance. You 'll also want to be in fifth or sixth place by the start of the second lap or you'll be too far back.

How large are your install sizes? Mine is only about 6.7 GB and I don't see any more installing popups. I'm wondering what else can fill up the 10GB that the game reportedly takes up.

[quote name='Anhmeister']How large are your install sizes? Mine is only about 6.7 GB and I don't see any more installing popups. I'm wondering what else can fill up the 10GB that the game reportedly takes up.[/QUOTE]

The main install is 6.7 GB. If you notice when loading some menus and races the game will say installing on the bottom right hand corner. This the the extra information the game is installing. Overall it will end up being 10 gigs worth of data to be installed on your HDD.

Only dabbled a bit in the B-Spec. I haven't ran into any problems with my driver. He is currently 2-0 and both races he took the lead and held it (he has been using the Tommy Kara ZZ). Digging this mode, can't wait to see what PD does more with this.

Tried the Nascar special events, holy crap that was a lot of fun. The DFGT gave a lot more feedback on those stock cars more so than anything other car. Going 200+ mph really showed in those events.

Did some online laps with option.iv, damn that menu is slick and nice. Sure it sucks I can't send an invite, but the features online has was damn good. I know it was just the two of us, but it didn't look like there was any lag. The race felt fluid. Kart racing was dope until I spun out, I'm bitter. And I was even more bitter when I was 20 seconds behind in the lambo (damn that thing was tough to drive).

So who is down to do a bi-monthly CAG GT5 race night? It would be cool to have some themed races (NASCAR only, under 200hp, kart racing, unrestricted, etc). Bi-monthly sounds pretty good and to keep the stakes high, prizes? Like prize cars (pink slips?!), PSN cards, etc? I'll make a topic to feel out the players.

I'll be getting GT5 and the Driving Force GT for Christmas (finally thought of something far enough in advance to ask for this year). I can't wait to join in on the fun and the CAG nights sound good. This will be my first Gran Turismo experience and I'm excited.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']I'll be getting GT5 and the Driving Force GT for Christmas (finally thought of something far enough in advance to ask for this year). I can't wait to join in on the fun and the CAG nights sound good. This will be my first Gran Turismo experience and I'm excited.[/QUOTE]

It might be a bit frustrating a first (race car driving is actually hard?!) but I have no doubt you will enjoy this game. If you got the HDD sapce, full install this game while you do some chores.

I beat the game just now... and got me a Veyron. Too bad the car I used can smoke it.

I really like all the crazy cars in this game, even if I'll never use half of them.

And I still can't get over why the fuck they decided not to let you upgrade brakes in this game. That doesn't make any sense to me. Being able to adjust them doesn't really do it.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']I'll be getting GT5 and the Driving Force GT for Christmas (finally thought of something far enough in advance to ask for this year). I can't wait to join in on the fun and the CAG nights sound good. This will be my first Gran Turismo experience and I'm excited.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played Prologue but I know they really outdid themselves with even just the response on the analog stick, so a driving wheel should complete the experience. For things like Nascar where you want a little more precise steering for that heavy beast, it should work out really well.

I can see getting and using a driving wheel, I just don't know how I'll set it up if I get one. By far it will be the best gift evar for Christmas.

I hate to keep nit-picking but some stuff just bugs me.

I finally got the rally special events unlocked and it's pretty awesome, my little civic first car is pretty awesome in the snow! However, getting to the actual races are driving me nuts. Click the event, loading, start the event then I have to sit and wait for the 3 other cars to go?! Why can't they have them already ahead and let me just start racing? I know it's supposed to be simulation and that's how a rally works but come on. Simulate their progress up to the point I actually take the course. There's not even any music, just sitting in the silence while 3 cars drive off out of view.

Since I am not the greatest driver I re-race all the time. Having to go through that long process each time just drags me to a halt and I just leave the rally events. I can begin to understand the IGN claim of the simulation being 10/10 and the game being 5/10.

I am about to do a Steve Martin impersonation at the car dealership in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on IC-1. I think >15 times < 0.06 from gold....must be the lag time from gas to break. Still need to go back and work on a few others, but just have to open some stuff up since a demanding 4 year old wants me to get as many cars opened up ASAP.

Mad - nope, A-9 was the other one....I keep shooting out too far and a car passes me each time. Don't have A-8 on gold, but was close.

I missed out on one of the B license tests by .008 sec. Boy that pissed me off.

Didn't know that ABS slows you down...

Is it considered "cheating" in the game to use ABS and trac. control, or is the handicap that you can't go as fast?

[quote name='daschrier']I missed out on one of the B license tests by .008 sec. Boy that pissed me off.

Is it considered "cheating" in the game to use ABS and trac. control, or is the handicap that you can't go as fast?[/QUOTE]

Using Traction Control will hinder your performance. Even APEX (The CE guide book) suggests turning Traction Control off. Keep in mind that doing so will FORCE you to learn how to drive your car (i.e. not mash on the accelerator). Chances are you are going to spin out quite a few times until you figure out what your tires can and cannot handle.

I definately agree with their complaints about the AI. I'm not a skilled racer by any means, and even remember the first GT taking many hours to perfect the license tests to even be able to race. In the last few games they have made it possible to race without a license, and even make the bronze extremely east to get.

The biggest issue with the difficulty is that I have only not gotten a gold on a race maybe twice, and I'm almost done the third tier of races. The same exploits that you could use in the old games is still present...I love not needing to learn to take corners since I can just t-bone the competition at high speed and use their car to slow down :p

Overall it is just a pretty version of GT, but then again if you look back at how groundbreaking and ambitious the original GT was, the flaws are easier to dismiss.

[quote name='jmbreci']I am about to do a Steve Martin impersonation at the car dealership in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on IC-1. I think >15 times < 0.06 from gold....must be the lag time from gas to break. Still need to go back and work on a few others, but just have to open some stuff up since a demanding 4 year old wants me to get as many cars opened up ASAP.

Mad - nope, A-9 was the other one....I keep shooting out too far and a car passes me each time. Don't have A-8 on gold, but was close.[/QUOTE]Dude I almost had it with NASCAR, I scored silver at like lets say it was 13.254 and gold was a 13.2 or better, the next like hundred attempts aside from nailing a crap ton of cones and just laughing about that, I sequentially beat my score by 13.248 then 13.238, 13.231, 13.227, 13.218, 13.217, 13.216, 13.215 then finally down to 13.208 before I somehow got it at 13.195.

For A8 just power on the right into their turn, brake late, it's okay if you brake slide past onto the green, try to correct quickly and finish the chicane ahead of the 3 other cars. That one was more brute force than finesse, don't finesse it.

[quote name='daschrier']I missed out on one of the B license tests by .008 sec. Boy that pissed me off.

Is it considered "cheating" in the game to use ABS and trac. control, or is the handicap that you can't go as fast?[/QUOTE]ABS very noticably slows you down in A10 when going from a setting of 1 and off on the ABS is the difference between passing the yellow car almost immediately or having to bump him out of your way since you aren't going fast enough to pass him. It's not cheating though. These things are aids, you'll want ABS for those stupid turns that damn near bring you to a halt because without it, you're locking your tires and just not stopping. Traction control really is hit or miss. If you don't use it, you'll have to watch your launch and you may find yourself spinning tires if there is too much torque and not enough grip. If you do use it, you lose power when you power slide or break traction with a nasty torque spike(torque makes you spin tires, not horsepower).

[quote name='daphatty']Using Traction Control will hinder your performance. Even APEX (The CE guide book) suggests turning Traction Control off. Keep in mind that doing so will FORCE you to learn how to drive your car (i.e. not mash on the accelerator). Chances are you are going to spin out quite a few times until you figure out what your tires can and cannot handle.[/QUOTE]A good set of tires and properly balancing the car's suspension along with the right application of aerodynamics will definitely help keep the four to the floor. The rub is you probably want to reference the APEX book for that.

[quote name='daschrier']I definately agree with their complaints about the AI. I'm not a skilled racer by any means, and even remember the first GT taking many hours to perfect the license tests to even be able to race. In the last few games they have made it possible to race without a license, and even make the bronze extremely east to get.

The biggest issue with the difficulty is that I have only not gotten a gold on a race maybe twice, and I'm almost done the third tier of races. The same exploits that you could use in the old games is still present...I love not needing to learn to take corners since I can just t-bone the competition at high speed and use their car to slow down :p

Overall it is just a pretty version of GT, but then again if you look back at how groundbreaking and ambitious the original GT was, the flaws are easier to dismiss.[/QUOTE]The problem you're facing is you are admittedly not a skilled driver. It's not a dig at you, it's the truth. A skilled driver can win races or put up a serious fight with cars that otherwise outclass them in specs. It's all about the driver, the license tests are there to help hone those skills in untuned cars so when you hop into your pride and joy, you have some idea of what to do.

Difficulty is not really hard. Load the race, get into the lead, hold the lead. Nothing hard about that. Most drivers you encounter at lower levels are Blue drivers, they won't put up a fight but they're stupidly accurate and hold their pace well without stressing out. Just because you nor the reviewer understand how the AI works, doesn't mean it's dumb, I suggest reading my B-Spec primer and skim down to the personality section. Blue to Red offers a lot of flavors of driver with upsides and downs, you'll never intimidate a Blue driver so you have to muscle past them or overtake them on a straight but you can certainly piss off a Red driver and cause him to make a huge mistake.

I recognized the same old flaws in the AI fairly quickly. It seems that instead of fixing the old issues Polyphony chose to add new behaviors that would make the AI seem smarter during races. I have had several races where I felt driving skill definitely needed to be used in order to win. Some races I won, others I lost, but the essence of racing was certainly there and I enjoyed my victories the way it was intended.

So while I agree, the same old issues are there, I feel like the experience will improve as my driving skills improve. I am also using a Steering Wheel with Gran Turismo for the first time ever so many of my previous shortcomings are no longer present. Ultimately, I think Polyphony built and tuned the AI to compete against players who follow the rules of racing. Let's see how I feel once my skills progress even further.

OK, so the Eclise (?) on the Top Gear Test Track is insane. I'm using the HKS controller, both with the wheel and the analog stick and no matter how I do it, the car is always tail happy. I'm slowly learning how to control the car, but my biggest gripe is;

1. the AI appear to be able to go off track and not get penalized, yet even an inch off track and I'm disqualified...
2. yet when I stay on track the AI are extremely slow in some parts which leads to collisions and again, being disqualified.

[quote name='j-cart']It might be a bit frustrating a first (race car driving is actually hard?!) but I have no doubt you will enjoy this game. If you got the HDD sapce, full install this game while you do some chores.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I put a 320GB drive in a few years back and have plenty of space. I figure I'll install it right away and play it later in the day. I know I'm going to struggle at first but I think just having the wheel and the realistic cars will be a lot of fun and I'll get better.

[quote name='SynGamer']OK, so the Eclise (?) on the Top Gear Test Track is insane. I'm using the HKS controller, both with the wheel and the analog stick and no matter how I do it, the car is always tail happy. I'm slowly learning how to control the car, but my biggest gripe is;

1. the AI appear to be able to go off track and not get penalized, yet even an inch off track and I'm disqualified...
2. yet when I stay on track the AI are extremely slow in some parts which leads to collisions and again, being disqualified.[/QUOTE]
That's an MR car with hard tires, so lay off the brake, use the gas to flutter control, be prepped to do a lot of sliding but don't over correct, letting go of the wheel/stick/d-pad will let the wheels drift back to their straight position better than if you try to correct it quickly. The car will straighten out but you have to realize that you have to keep the wheel pointed in the direction you are wanting to go, over correcting will throw you deeper into the fishtail rather than let you out of it.

As for number 2, the AI is a real PITA on the Top Gear track, they all act as Blues but fight like Reds. I think it's just the Top Gear track specifically, since they're just as bad with the VW bus.

[quote name='Mad39er']That's an MR car with hard tires, so lay off the brake, use the gas to flutter control, be prepped to do a lot of sliding but don't over correct, letting go of the wheel/stick/d-pad will let the wheels drift back to their straight position better than if you try to correct it quickly. The car will straighten out but you have to realize that you have to keep the wheel pointed in the direction you are wanting to go, over correcting will throw you deeper into the fishtail rather than let you out of it.

As for number 2, the AI is a real PITA on the Top Gear track, they all act as Blues but fight like Reds. I think it's just the Top Gear track specifically, since they're just as bad with the VW bus.[/QUOTE]

I had a hard time with the VW bus race I was getting frustrated but kept at it and eventually got my passing zones down. I was able to brake late and slide right past 1 or 2 at a time in certain spots.

The sense of reward and accomplishment is pretty great in this game. When I beat a license or a special event I feel like I did some amazing feat lol.

[quote name='Mad39er']I can see getting and using a driving wheel, I just don't know how I'll set it up if I get one. By far it will be the best gift evar for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

http://berserk.org/gt4/

I have this setup for my G27 wheel, it works perfect with my computer chair. The directions are decent I messed up the adjusting holes by drilling the wrong end but it was an easy fix, and I had to glue the upper base where the wheel mounts because it kept tilting on me while driving. As far as the base support where he has it mounted under his tv stand, I used some dumbbells to hold it down and support the weight of the wheel. So you'll have to do some mods there. I didn't trim any of the wood either. There are also a bunch of youtube videos of other homemade stands.

This convinced me why Gran Turismo 5 was worth the wait.

3008wzs.jpg

5219618177_326268a67a_b.jpg

Found these on the GTplanet forums, created from the games photo mode. Amazed at how much detail has been put into these cars.

I just noticed something tonight that kinda threw me through a loop. I don't know if it's a glitch or what but usually when you tune a car you either go naturally aspirated or forced induction. GT3 and 4 followed this train of thought, so you picked one or the other. I just did the Stage 3 Engine upgrade and followed that up with a Stage 2 Turbo and the horsies stack. I guess don't neglect your Engine mods if you go forced induction, completely ass backwards to raise compression when you want to turbo a car though.

Still getting some ghosting issues with 3d when in cockpit view. set parallax to 7 and .9 for convergence. It's minimized but wondering what I can even dial down.

I can't see how anyone can play these racing sim games without a wheel. It seems like you're missing out on 50% of the game since control is compromised to a large extent. Main reason why I play GT5 over Forza3

149548_467271154141_533879141_5799265_7292817_n.jpg

Still unpacking into the new house, but had to find some time to finally put that G25 and wheelstand pro to good use.

[quote name='Mad39er']I just noticed something tonight that kinda threw me through a loop. I don't know if it's a glitch or what but usually when you tune a car you either go naturally aspirated or forced induction. GT3 and 4 followed this train of thought, so you picked one or the other. I just did the Stage 3 Engine upgrade and followed that up with a Stage 2 Turbo and the horsies stack. I guess don't neglect your Engine mods if you go forced induction, completely ass backwards to raise compression when you want to turbo a car though.[/QUOTE]

You can also upgrade your exhaust manifold/header with a turbo charger as well :p

[quote name='daschrier']You can also upgrade your exhaust manifold/header with a turbo charger as well :p[/QUOTE]
You can do that with a turbo charged car, except it's called a downpipe instead of headers. I wasn't going to nitpick that far, I just thought it odd that there is no more singular train of mods that separate the NA fans from the FI fans.

[quote name='FroMann']This convinced me why Gran Turismo 5 was worth the wait.

3008wzs.jpg

5219618177_326268a67a_b.jpg

Found these on the GTplanet forums, created from the games photo mode. Amazed at how much detail has been put into these cars.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, those pictures are amazing. I was able to take a few nice pic's with little effort too...another nice touch is that you can export them to the XMB and use them as backgrounds for your PS3. Those type of little additions definitely wouldn't have been there without the long wait.

[quote name='Mad39er']You can do that with a turbo charged car, except it's called a downpipe instead of headers. I wasn't going to nitpick that far, I just thought it odd that there is no more singular train of mods that separate the NA fans from the FI fans.[/QUOTE]

I am aware of that, but the description only talks about the header.

Does anyone know what racing modifications does? I finally found a car that can be modded, but its not reversible, and don't know what stats the racing mods do.

Also, in the description of aftermarket wheels, it says that light weight wheels help performance (obviously), but the weights of the wheels aren't specified...are we to assume that any aftermarket wheel is better performing than the stock wheel?

bread's done
Back