Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

I hit level 16 in A-spec and noticed the AI jump in performance immediately. I have to actually drive rather than drive reckless and just smash into the AI and walls to win.

Seems like the game's biggest flaws is how little is explained to you, despite how encompassing of a sim it wants to be.

[quote name='daschrier']I hit level 16 in A-spec and noticed the AI jump in performance immediately. I have to actually drive rather than drive reckless and just smash into the AI and walls to win.

Seems like the game's biggest flaws is how little is explained to you, despite how encompassing of a sim it wants to be.[/QUOTE]
Just wait until you hit Daytona with Supercars in a car that can pass them but not hold the lead with. They freaking pit you and it's like falling down an escalator going up, you just keep getting hit and hit and hit and hit doing so many spins by the time you re-orient yourself, you're grateful that the track only goes one way since who knows where you'll end up. I swear I got hit at least 10 times before I gave up trying to win in that car. I've got to put my Supra on the track, 724 HP should do the trick.

[quote name='daphatty']Ok. The Test Track events can eat a bowl of dicks. There is no way a Lotus Elise handles so poorly...[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain man. I really like the Top Gear special events but the beginner and intermediate races took me probably 2 hours combined to get through.

[quote name='j-cart']So has anyone gotten gold on A-8? My time right now is a 13.813 and I dont think I could go any faster![/QUOTE]
A8 was easy, just drive, brake late, go over the green curb(it's a curb, not grass initially) and power through for first place. A9 was way more annoying and A10 was just a matter of having that perfect storm of things happening.

[quote name='Mad39er']A8 was easy, just drive, brake late, go over the green curb(it's a curb, not grass initially) and power through for first place. A9 was way more annoying and A10 was just a matter of having that perfect storm of things happening.[/QUOTE]

I think you have them backward. I believe A-8 is the S-curve...which I got 13.866....that one is annoying. I thought I had it a couple of times but my right rear tire caught sand and I knew I lost it. Must have done that 40 times last night.

Speaking of A-8, WTF is up with that example run? What sort of example is some 14.6 second run? Sorry, bitter party of one here.

I know I will get A-8, it is a hit and miss when controlling the weight of that BMW. GT series has made me hate BMWs.

A-9 is much the same from GT Prologue and GT PSP late braking trial. I just need to get learn the car's braking speed then I will get it. A-10 is just a matter of full control, I hit 4th on my second run, 1st is easily in my sights.

License example runs just show you "ideal" way to take the course. If you look at the times they post up, very few are actually anyway close to the gold time.

[quote name='m_d_amore']found a mazda Carol in the used dealers that had over 300k miles on it to get the trophy[/QUOTE]

Does it have to be miles or km? My used car dealership lists everything in km.

[quote name='jmbreci']I think you have them backward. I believe A-8 is the S-curve...which I got 13.866....that one is annoying. I thought I had it a couple of times but my right rear tire caught sand and I knew I lost it. Must have done that 40 times last night.

Speaking of A-8, WTF is up with that example run? What sort of example is some 14.6 second run? Sorry, bitter party of one here.[/QUOTE]
If that's the case, take off ABS, you'll slide easier and make it through without braking as much. The key is to slide through that turn not so much to brake.

WANNA TRADE A CAR?

I got ripped on my level 12 reward for completing a series, so now I have TWO of the same car, what luck? Willing to "trade" one (I gift it to you, you gift a car to me)

Its the Focus RS WRC 07 '08 (full on rally car,with liverly, 0 miles)

PM me if interested....

I'm thinking a Lambo Gallardo LP560-4, a fully tuned/modded 2010 Camaro SS, McLAren MP4, a new BMW M car, or something worth over 100K.

I'm putting out a bounty on the Standard Audi TT Coupe 1.8T quattro ‘00 if anybody sees it in their used dealer lot, I'm offering a Gran Turismo 350 RS and an Amuse Nismo 380 RS Superleggera or their choice of car from the new car dealership with mods up to $170k in credits, $200k if found tonight.

[quote name='Mad39er']Anybody have a Blue or Silver mm-R cup car they may want to trade for my Yellow one? It's completely modded, so I'll take on the expense of modding yours if it's not. I just really like the Blue and/or Silvers. I'll gladly take a donation though.[/QUOTE]

I have a blue one to trade if you still need it.

[quote name='bballplaya210']I have a blue one to trade if you still need it.[/QUOTE]
Is it the darker Blue 38 or the light Blue 40-something? I really liked the darker Blue, evil had the light blue one that was kinda baby blue and not me. If it's the dark 38 then definitely.

[quote name='Mad39er']I'm putting out a bounty on the Standard Audi TT Coupe 1.8T quattro ‘00 if anybody sees it in their used dealer lot, I'm offering a Gran Turismo 350 RS and an Amuse Nismo 380 RS Superleggera or their choice of car from the new car dealership with mods up to $170k in credits, $200k if found tonight.[/QUOTE]
Not to double post but I'm taking down this bounty. I just got it in the used lot for $44,332. If anybody comes across another one, I'm offering up to $70k in a new car from the dealership with whatever mods will bring the total value to $70k.

I also found the truck in the used dealership.

Question about progression: I'm used to games like Forza and NFS that have been quite generous with giving out prize cars that you can use in the next races, but it seems I'm in the dealership and used cars section in GT much more. Am I just not going through the game correctly or do you have to invest time and credits into used cars? Coupled with the lack of search options and going between menus taking forever, it seems I spend more time looking for cars than I am racing. Tips on advancing would be appreciated.

SynGamer: I found another SVT Lighting. Check your gifts section.

SteveMcQ: GT series has been always like this. You do get better cars down the road, but the idea behind the GT feel is that who really cares if you can drive a fast car fast? GT wants you learn about the cars, appreciate the value that the car manufacture has put into their car. There isn't much help on which cars to use for races, but a few things you need to do is always do an oil change after you buy a used car. If you got the money, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. If you get all gold on a License, they treat you with a super nice car that you pretty much would only use in A-Spec, until you complete your next License.

[quote name='option.iv']I had GT prologue still installed when I installed this game.... the answer is no.[/QUOTE]

Check in the Arcade . At least with the PsP cars and i believe the Prologue cars are only used in Arcade mode

Do you guys think we will see the American Top Gear Track as DLC? I'd like to have a go at it

Last edited by a moderator:
GT Prologue cars do not transfer over, only GT PSP cars do.

m_d_amore: With how PD supported Prologue, I would imagine that we will get some pretty good updates for free. As for USA Top Gear Track, I doubt it. However you could always try to recreate it in the course marker.

SynGamer: If you happen to see a Chevy Silverado (pick up truck) I'll gladly take that. Other than that nothing really, since I am sitting on about 500,000 credits.

My friend isn't very good at GT racing, so I just stuck him in my NASCAR on the Super Car Daytona challenge. Takes about 2:23 seconds to finish for an easy 17k. So while I was completing other challenges he would do a Daytona race. We traded off like this for a few hours. Was easy money for me and just loved blowing away super cars in a NASCAR.

Special Event races when getting gold can net you 50k, So I was doing those as well.

I know there is another Daytona race in the expert series that can net you like 34k or something, though I just unlocked level 15. Haven't looked through those cups yet.

[quote name='j-cart']My friend isn't very good at GT racing, so I just stuck him in my NASCAR on the Super Car Daytona challenge. Takes about 2:23 seconds to finish for an easy 17k. So while I was completing other challenges he would do a Daytona race. We traded off like this for a few hours. Was easy money for me and just loved blowing away super cars in a NASCAR.

Special Event races when getting gold can net you 50k, So I was doing those as well.

I know there is another Daytona race in the expert series that can net you like 34k or something, though I just unlocked level 15. Haven't looked through those cups yet.[/QUOTE]
It's the L17 A-Spec Turbo race on High Speed Ring, depending on how you run it, you can run 3 laps in an average of 3:20 +/- seconds for $36k. I drives a lot faster than High Speed Ring Reverse as well.

Highspeed Ring on the Supercar challenge is do-able with an FR car that has about 400 horse or an Evo until you hit 17. Daytona really needs the extra speed, so anything that can go and maintain above 180 without drafting will do nicely, if you can't get above 180 mph, use the High Speed Ring Reverse race as the super cars don't corner well.

still have a new focus wrc rally car to trade. Trade for gallardo.....whats the fastest way to get a car for the all stars, and historic events in expert? That toyota 7 is killing me. Could I borrow one? Just for a day.....

[quote name='Mad39er']Not to double post but I'm taking down this bounty. I just got it in the used lot for $44,332. If anybody comes across another one, I'm offering up to $70k in a new car from the dealership with whatever mods will bring the total value to $70k.[/QUOTE]
Found my third Audi TT. I think it's safe to say I can take down the offer. I'm just amazed that the day I put it up, I got one the next day and found two today but haven't seen any previous to my posting. Go figure.

I finally found an mm-R in the used car section. I'm at level 20 now and I'm just now seeing it, sheesh. Well if anyone wants to use that car in a one make race in the future I'll be prepared.

any tips on License A-8? i consistently end up 0.030-0.100 seconds from gold. Its the last one I need for all gold in A License and its driving me nuts.

edit - got it finally, had to resort to a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTkruJj3XJw

pretty much need to ignore the racing line and use the curb on the right a lot. after 5 attempts with the help of that video, improved the 13.809 to a 13.795.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GTmaster39']I finally found an mm-R in the used car section. I'm at level 20 now and I'm just now seeing it, sheesh. Well if anyone wants to use that car in a one make race in the future I'll be prepared.[/QUOTE]
The mm-R is the A License Bronze Prize car as well, not too hard to get. Did you never get the A License or sell the mm-R thinking it was garbage?

Golded the Nascar Advanced Special Events, did the two at Daytona in like 2-3 tries each, rather easily. The one at Indy was a real corksoaker, I kept trying to find the perfect storm of invisible driving lanes of cutting through cars and maintaining a good position for drafting. The last try which I got gold on was perhaps the easiest, by the end of the third turn, I had 1st place and it was just a matter of finishing the course. That took like at least 30 attempts though.

Golded Advanced Go Karts as well. That was annoying on the Tokyo one because the AI cheats and drafts all the way at 88mph so if you wipe out once, you have to restart. Same thing on Autumn Mini but I had flashbacks of the race night did it after less restarts and more a-holery. I got 3 cars from Nascar which could be better but I got the #99 Aflac Carl Edwards and two Vettes, a '90 and a '63. I have a '69 Vette I already purchased that looks prettier than both of them though.

[quote name='Mad39er']Is it the darker Blue 38 or the light Blue 40-something? I really liked the darker Blue, evil had the light blue one that was kinda baby blue and not me. If it's the dark 38 then definitely.[/QUOTE]

It's the dark blue #38. Send me a friend invite on PSN and I'll trade it to you.

Is anyone else using a TV tray as a stand for their steering wheel? I knew going in it wasn't the smartest of option (given the lack of proper weight balance and stability) but it is currently the only option I have to use for my wheel.

If you do use a TV tray, what have you done to help balance the weight so that the tray won't move around when you are making a tight turn and such?

Unless someone knows of a cheap option to use as a wheel stand. I don't have a coffee table and my current desk is not an option. I've checked Amazon and eBay but haven't found anything. I want to get one of those Playseats but they're like $400.

Here's a pic of my setup - http://yfrog.com/h4s2jbj

[quote name='gamer4432']Is anyone else using a TV tray as a stand for their steering wheel? I knew going in it wasn't the smartest of option (given the lack of proper weight balance and stability) but it is currently the only option I have to use for my wheel.

If you do use a TV tray, what have you done to help balance the weight so that the tray won't move around when you are making a tight turn and such?

Unless someone knows of a cheap option to use as a wheel stand. I don't have a coffee table and my current desk is not an option. I've checked Amazon and eBay but haven't found anything. I want to get one of those Playseats but they're like $400.

Here's a pic of my setup - http://yfrog.com/h4s2jbj[/QUOTE]

If I got a wheel I would probably do the same...could you use something like sandbags between the joints on both sides of the tray?

[quote name='gamer4432']Is anyone else using a TV tray as a stand for their steering wheel? I knew going in it wasn't the smartest of option (given the lack of proper weight balance and stability) but it is currently the only option I have to use for my wheel.

15lb dumbell on the back side. My TV tray has a wood runner between the back legs and I place the dumbell on the back of that. Once in a while it gets in the way while utilizing the pedals (they don't stay in place well on my carpet) but it is quite usable. I'll try to post a pick to show you after I get home.

[quote name='gamer4432']

[/QUOTE]

I used to have the bookmarks regarding it but the poor man's solution is to use one of the 40 dollar laptop carts walmart sells and tinker with it a bit. I'm sure if you google cheap racing wheel stand or cockpit you'll get some hits.

I have the exact same setup. I just wear jeans and push my legs against the side to keep it from moving. Not the most comfortable solution but it's cheap so I don't care.

[quote name='bballplaya210']It's the dark blue #38. Send me a friend invite on PSN and I'll trade it to you.[/QUOTE]
Sent you my mm-R, thank you for for dark blue #38.

Finally found another truck in the used lot...after looking for the last 10 days. Had to grind a coupe of races to get $$ back.

Mad - on a side note on the Miata race, switched drivers and my other driver won by ~15 seconds. I think more than anything that I need to level up the other driver.

j-cart - congrats on A-8. It is a pain...I've been in the 13.85 range for the last week....and have not tried it for a while. Even tried it with the wheel...no difference. The key to that is how well you cut that first corner and how much steering you have to do in the 2nd one. Several times I've been close, only to have my rear passenger tire hit the sand and further my frustration.

[quote name='jmbreci']Finally found another truck in the used lot...after looking for the last 10 days. Had to grind a coupe of races to get $$ back.

Mad - on a side note on the Miata race, switched drivers and my other driver won by ~15 seconds. I think more than anything that I need to level up the other driver.[/QUOTE]
Dude, I had a truck sitting doing nothing, in fact I think I've got two. I've got tons of cars, if you need a set of wheels, just hollar.

Glad you figured out the Miata race situation. I try to keep my drivers adequately leveled compared to the races they're put in but it helps that some cars I can put in run like raped apes and my Red driver has no problem hauling ass in them.

bread's done
Back