Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='KiLL3r']Have You tried any other Team based game? I think I got mine in Cops & Crooks.[/quote]
Hmm, good call. For some reason it hadn't even occurred to me to try something other than deathmatch, haha. It's a good excuse to try one of those other types, in any case.

[quote name='KiLL3r']Have You tried any other Team based game? [/quote]
Nice, good call. I ended up getting it today in Turf War.

I played deathmatch today for the first time, wow that sucks. Takes almost nothing to kill someone with a gun, and cars are almost useless since you can shoot the drive before they even get to you. Oh well at least i got my "kill a rockstar achievement".

[quote name='Littlefields']GTA IV is losing it's appeal on me. It was pretty interesting in the beginning but started to fade after the 3rd island was unlocked.[/quote]

Naa, its still good. But it will start to get boring after a while. There is still stuff to do in the game like random pedestrians, easter eggs, online. I just hope that the DLC comes out soon.

Also, anyone know yet if they got a key to LC???

[quote name='yukafls']Naa, its still good. But it will start to get boring after a while. There is still stuff to do in the game like random pedestrians, easter eggs, online. I just hope that the DLC comes out soon.

Also, anyone know yet if they got a key to LC???[/quote]

Haven't received an email yet from them. Then again, the site STILL says 92% after about 25 days :bomb: fuckin eh.

Dude whats with Multiplayer....

ranked > race....
joined session....
connection lost....
ranked > race
im in, all by myself for 5 minutes....quit.
ranked > race
im in, all by myself again....
3 people join....
me and 2nd guy are ready....
3rd person just keeps chatting away instead of playing.....
Shut 360 down....

It sure seems like it takes an insane amount of time to get a game going.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']same here 7th ever since launch. I hate that. patch that shit rockstar.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except mine was fine for the first two weeks. Now I can't join anyone at all. Really, really pissing me off.
I know people are playing games just fine, too.

I've had no problems whatsoever with online, but I have also never attempted a ranked match. I just choose Quick Play and always get into a game. The system is still pretty janky though. I don't like the way the lobbies are set up and switching to another game is not intuitive.

If you want to quit the game that you are in, bring your phone up and start another multiplayer game from there. If you don't do it that way, you get kicked all the way back to single player which sucks.

I think they need to change how races work. Because how you see yourself on the player board (where the map is shown and you choose your vehicle) is where you start the race. So if you're in a 16 player race, and you're at the bottom of the list, you have no chance of winning.

Haha, I had to laugh at an exchange I heard while playing Deathmatch earlier. The dude who was hosting the room had the GT of something like "A Black Guy" and was being really nice, waiting to start the match and just idly chitchatting with everyone. Right before the match started, some douchebag kid came in and started talking shit, going on and on about how good he was. Black Guy told him to relax and the kid started in with the racial slurs, bragging about how much he was going to kick ass, etc. Anyway, the match ends, and Black Guy comes in first and the douchebag kid comes in second. Black Guy says something like "guess you weren't so good afterall," and the kid starts talking about how the results are bullshit, he should have come in first, Black Guy only won because he was so laggy, etc. Finally, some other kid speaks up and says "Dude, why can't you just shut up and accept that you came in second to a black guy because he's just better? Who do you think you are, Hilary Clinton?" :applause:

[quote name='garfep']Haha, I had to laugh at an exchange I heard while playing Deathmatch earlier. The dude who was hosting the room had the GT of something like "A Black Guy" and was being really nice, waiting to start the match and just idly chitchatting with everyone. Right before the match started, some douchebag kid came in and started talking shit, going on and on about how good he was. Black Guy told him to relax and the kid started in with the racial slurs, bragging about how much he was going to kick ass, etc. Anyway, the match ends, and Black Guy comes in first and the douchebag kid comes in second. Black Guy says something like "guess you weren't so good afterall," and the kid starts talking about how the results are bullshit, he should have come in first, Black Guy only won because he was so laggy, etc. Finally, some other kid speaks up and says "Dude, why can't you just shut up and accept that you came in second to a black guy because he's just better? Who do you think you are, Hilary Clinton?" :applause:[/quote]

lol

I just beat GTA IV and am filthy stinking rich but I've got nothing to spend my money on. I feel like I'm on a deserted island with thousands of can openers but no cans!

Where are the expansive mansions from previous games? Am i missing something or is there really nothing major to buy in the game with the money?

[quote name='basketkase543']I just beat GTA IV and am filthy stinking rich but I've got nothing to spend my money on. I feel like I'm on a deserted island with thousands of can openers but no cans!

Where are the expansive mansions from previous games? Am i missing something or is there really nothing major to buy in the game with the money?[/quote]
You're not missing anything. I do not understand how everyone praises this game like it is the invention of awesomeness packaged in plastic. I absolutely loved the game beat it and still go back and mess around but having played GTA2,3,Vice City, and San Andreas. It felt in some places like a step back from Vice and Andreas like no planes, purchasing businesses/houses(one of the best part of VC), and how the cops chase you even if you just push someone down. Sure the story/missions rocked but I also feel the story/mission in San Andreas and especially Vice City were a lot of fun and kept me wanting more like it was a crack the game I was playing. Having said that I think if they were to put this kinda of story telling into essentially remakes like they did of the whole series Vice City then maybe San Andreas I would be so happy. Cuz being in that San Andreas world and Vice City world with these graphics and this amount of detail I think my head would explode for the fun I would have.

[quote name='basketkase543']I just beat GTA IV and am filthy stinking rich but I've got nothing to spend my money on. I feel like I'm on a deserted island with thousands of can openers but no cans!

Where are the expansive mansions from previous games? Am i missing something or is there really nothing major to buy in the game with the money?[/QUOTE]

that's the largest complaint most people have including myself. everything is very dense, but in terms of content and expansion there's nothing. My guess is we'll get our remedy in the DLC in 2009.

Where are the expansive mansions from previous games? Am i missing something or is there really nothing major to buy in the game with the money?[/quote]

Yeah i really hope they use DLC to add more clothing shops, safehouses to buy...especially
on the 1st island since the one you had burnt down.
Also would be cool if the fun park was alive and working.

i decided to play online for the first time a few days ago.. and its kind of hit and miss.. i mean the "party" mode is pretty cool.. but people sometimes don't have it chaotic enough or they just want to fly the helicopter around.. the deathmatch mode was alright.. except for the auto aiming that kind of ruins the fun for me.. anyways.. i think i'll go back to doing missions tomorrow (i'm about 35% done.. i'm stuck on the stupid night club mission but i'll get through it.. its not a bad game.. i just need to buckle down and just finish some of the harder parts.

This game is really addictive. So much so that you forget how repetitive it is, but I love it. The auto aiming is BALLS. There's a mission where a guy hires you to go in the project to kill a guy ( you'll know the one ) and he's right there, but because you auto aim at the guy to the right of him, he runs. The cops are easier to escape from, which makes them more of a pest than anything. Break into a car right before a mission? Here we are to burn 1 minute of your time and put you right off course ! Accidentally getting locked up and getting weapons taken away SUUUUCKS.

Also, I find the multiplayer terribly lacking.

The only online mode, I can really play is GTA Race. That's real trill shit. Only downside, is once you crash once/blowup/car flips over your basically done. But, it is fun to put up a roadblock and see like 4-5 people get fucked over.

I agree on the money situation, I have like 750k, maxed out on guns/ammo/clothes etc; and nothing to spend it on.

I'm about halfway through the Alderney missions and I'm about $10,000 away from 500k. I've read some FAQs and they said that you usually get to 500k near the end. Is this right, and if so, is there anything I should really be spending it on?

I have two questions.

Was killing Dwyane a good idea? I just want a yes or no answer. Also, how do you get 100 percent? Does that include side missions and stuff? So if a person dies who you didn't do extra jobs for, can you not get 100?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']that's the largest complaint most people have including myself. everything is very dense, but in terms of content and expansion there's nothing. My guess is we'll get our remedy in the DLC in 2009.[/QUOTE]
I've only put like 4 hours into the game, but unless I'm missing something I really hate the lack of working out for stamina/stats and having to eat every one in awhile. Yea theres a lot of cool stuff but all the little things that were added to the latest games seem to be missing. You'd think with all the time put in they would have every trick and pony in this.

Maybe San Andreas was just too awesome. And the gangs were fun too. Is there any form of gangs later on?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I don't know, san andreas was my least favorite in the series just for having too much random stuff. I've learned that limitations are sometimes a blessing.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I was happy they took out all the extra, to me tedious, stuff they put in San Andreas.

I thought San Andreas was really good because of the stuff you could do. I mean look at how Vice City was kinda small, and GTA 3 was kinda limited to what you could do. Don't get me wrong, I loved Vice City but San Andreas I liked more cause of how huge the map was. Now that GTA IV is out, that has change. But if the DLC was Vice City, that would kick some ass.:twoguns:

[quote name='DomLando']I feel the same way. I was happy they took out all the extra, to me tedious, stuff they put in San Andreas.[/QUOTE]

agreed. GTAIV felt alot like GTAIII to me in a good way. the focus felt more about the city than the random shit.

Yeah, I'm enjoying JUST playing missions....although, I have people keep calling me wanting to hang out. Not even sure how far I am in the game.

I just tried THIS mission, but failed:
Packie and the Bank Robbery.....I almost completed it (I think), but my car stalled on a bridge and there were no other cars to get....except police vehicle, which I tried and died).

[quote name='GTzerO']I have two questions.

Was killing Dwyane a good idea? I just want a yes or no answer. Also, how do you get 100 percent? Does that include side missions and stuff? So if a person dies who you didn't do extra jobs for, can you not get 100?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was a good idea. Niko seem to see a lot of himself in Dwayne. Not to mention if you kill Dwayne you only get money. If you kill Playboy X you get his loft to use as a safehouse and later on you can befriend Dwayne (once you reach the necessary friendship level) and he will give you the ability Extra Help. This will cause a car of gang members will be sent to help you out.

I do not know the answer to the other question.

Wow....blown.

Anyway, 4 leaf clover is a bitch. Get on the bridge and I decided I wanted a new car. Police car won't open. Turns out there was a van that was on fire. It blows up. I walk through the fire like a dumbass in order to get to another car and die. I wasn't even that hurt before the fire.

Question about Kiki and Francis. This is towards the end of the game (I believe) so I am going to spoiler it.

I chose to kill Derek (actually I did it both ways but I've stuck with killing Derek) so now I have the "Lose Wanted" option under both Kiki and Francis. If they both work exactly the same, can I just dump Kiki so that I don't have to deal with her dating shit and use Francis' ability instead? I know Kiki's ability worked when on a mission, but I haven't even tried Francis' ability yet so I don't know if it works the same way although I assume it does.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Question about Kiki and Francis. This is towards the end of the game (I believe) so I am going to spoiler it.

I chose to kill Derek (actually I did it both ways but I've stuck with killing Derek) so now I have the "Lose Wanted" option under both Kiki and Francis. If they both work exactly the same, can I just dump Kiki so that I don't have to deal with her dating shit and use Francis' ability instead? I know Kiki's ability worked when on a mission, but I haven't even tried Francis' ability yet so I don't know if it works the same way although I assume it does.
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, Francis' ability is a one time thing only. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong

[quote name='GRNDHOG']
If I'm not mistaken, Francis' ability is a one time thing only. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong
[/quote]

I've read that same thing since I posted my question, but others have said that it has worked multiple times for them. One of the theories is that it works once per day (in game). I think I'll just suffer with Kiki's dates and deal with it until I beat the game.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I've read that same thing since I posted my question, but others have said that it has worked multiple times for them. One of the theories is that it works once per day (in game). I think I'll just suffer with Kiki's dates and deal with it until I beat the game.[/quote]

According to a CAG a few pages ago,
Kiki will lower your wanted level during a mission and Francis will lower your wanted level when you're not playing a storyline mission (it might be vice versa). I didn't bother to date Kiki and I killed Francis so I am not able to test the theory, but that is what I read from the gist of it.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']According to a CAG a few pages ago,
Kiki will lower your wanted level during a mission and Francis will lower your wanted level when you're not playing a storyline mission (it might be vice versa). I didn't bother to date Kiki and I killed Francis so I am not able to test the theory, but that is what I read from the gist of it.
[/quote]

Kiki definitely lowers your level during missions b/c I used it several times, most notably during 3 Leaf Clover mission. Dating her has been worth it, but with all these people calling me lately, I've been really wanting to lighten the load. Guess I'll stick with the way I have it now.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']
I don't think it was a good idea. Niko seem to see a lot of himself in Dwayne. Not to mention if you kill Dwayne you only get money. If you kill Playboy X you get his loft to use as a safehouse and later on you can befriend Dwayne (once you reach the necessary friendship level) and he will give you the ability Extra Help. This will cause a car of gang members will be sent to help you out.

I do not know the answer to the other question.
[/QUOTE]
I just finished this part, and I think I'm about 15-16 hours into the game. On track for Liberty City Minute or should I just slow down and forget about it now?

[quote name='GTzerO']Can you still roam Liberty City after you beat the storyline?[/quote]

Yes, if you have played the previous GTA games this seems to be a no brainer. :bouncy:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I just finished this part, and I think I'm about 15-16 hours into the game. On track for Liberty City Minute or should I just slow down and forget about it now?[/quote]

You should be able to get it but you'll have to utilize taxis and just reload if you screw up.

bread's done
Back