Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

This game has some infuriating glitches....

I had to do Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend three times. First time around, I kill the last two thugs, all you have to do is drive Packie home. But for some reason the game spawned an anomalous cop on top of the oil tank or whatever, Packie kills the cop, I get three stars and get killed before I can say boo.

So, I redo the whole mission. I decided to take Packie home by cab. As I'm getting out of the cab, a goddamn car runs over me, for some reason I catch on fire, instant death.

Replay three worked out fine. Freaking frustrating though.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Question about Kiki and Francis. This is towards the end of the game (I believe) so I am going to spoiler it.

I chose to kill Derek (actually I did it both ways but I've stuck with killing Derek) so now I have the "Lose Wanted" option under both Kiki and Francis. If they both work exactly the same, can I just dump Kiki so that I don't have to deal with her dating shit and use Francis' ability instead? I know Kiki's ability worked when on a mission, but I haven't even tried Francis' ability yet so I don't know if it works the same way although I assume it does.
[/QUOTE]

They both work the same as far as I've been playing, though I don't think I used Francis more than once. I know once I beat the story though
all the numbers in my phone but my friends disappeared,
so stick with Kiki.

Oh the fucking irony. I read a bit of a spoiler in this thread a few days ago, but only a bit of it, and it mentioned someone regretting their choice in the revenge decision. That they
wished they could bring Roman back. I interpreted it as them regretting DOING the revenge because I skimmed through it instead of reading it fully ( was on the fence about spoiling it). Damn it, I did the mission and Roman is dead and I can never bring him back. I was at peace until I found out that if I had just picked up Katie, she would've died. I did the whole thing for Roman. I never liked Katie, nor is there any perks to her being alive. I don't even know why, but this is really pissing me off. Oh, I am fortune's fool!

This game is awsome I've been playing it for a while now and beat the story, I just need to find everything else now. I usually wouldn't try to find every little thing in a game but GTA is that fun.

[quote name='V Illuminati V']This game is awsome I've been playing it for a while now and beat the story, I just need to find everything else now. I usually wouldn't try to find every little thing in a game but GTA is that fun.[/QUOTE]

I wish the Online was a little bit better.. i mean its alright.. but it seems people rely on the auto aiming too much.. and the "party rooms" just suck because it seems everytime I get into a room with a ton of people they are all trying to do stupid stuff like jumping over people or flying helicopters around..

I also wish the sidemissions were easier to find.. the computer ones are pretty easy but finding the little blue blips for the "helping other people out" ones are kind of hard to find unless you just happen to be in the area..

I've redone the mission "undress to kill" like 20 or more times and I just can't seem to get the hang of it.. and thats kind of what I don't like about the game.. you get to a mission where you jsut can't reasonably pass it then the next one will be such a cake walk.. and yeah.. anyways i could care less about achievements and stuff like that I just wish the game wasn't "cheap".. like if you bump a cop car you automatically get a star.. ah well.. once i finish the story i'll probably shelf it.

There are different times that the random people appear at. The online is pretty awesome, and to kill someone you kinda half to aim:roll:.

I am truly sorry if this has been answered already (don't want spoilers so I am not reading the whole thread) but is there any chance of a PC release? I am saving up for a new PC with money from my job and well this would be the most convent for me to get.

Thanks

Sir frag..

rumor has it that it is coming in Oct. although no official announcement that I can find anyways..usually they are released well after the intial release.. but expect it to come..

speaking of cheap PC games.. I saw San Andreas new for 10 bucks for the PC the other day.. if you wait you can get some great quality gaming for cheap on the PC.

Hey I just unlocked the zombie character model, so if any of you still need the "let sleeping rockstars lie" achievement, come find me online, gun me down, and catch the infection.

Gamertag: Lbgrowl

Get the "let sleeping rockstars lie" achievement by killing someone who looks like a zombie. They dont have to look like one, the look is optional. Once you get it you press LB or something to swap to that rather then the normal create a character look.

i figured so many people had the zombie achievement you really just have to go gun some people down in deathmatch for an hour or two you should probably get it.. odds are someone on there will have it.

I think I got it the first time I killed someone in a deathmatch.

I've got the sleeping rockstar achievement. So there's a possibility that I've got the zombie and not know it then, huh? I'll check it out next time I'm playing.

Question on the 90% friend achievement. If theres someone who I have 89% "like", and he's dead (it's at the end of the game, people who did the deal know who this is), will I still get the achievement if everyone else is over 90?

Word, awesome. The only reason I was worried is because it's called Liberty City (5)...or something like that, and now I only have 4 alive.

[quote name='help1']Hey, is there a faster way to switch weapons?[/QUOTE]

If you hold LB and hit a direction on the dpad it'll switch between pistol, submachine gun, machine gun and your thrown weapon I belive... I know that was only tossed in there at the end of some random mission, so you might have missed it.

Well, I got GTA4 today, and I'm disappointed. Right now, it's my third favorite game, right below Call of Duty 2 and Tony Hawk's Project 8. Everyone said it was an AWESOME game, but I find it no different that any of the other GTAs. Sure, it's more realistic, but I mean, it's the same game. Steal cars, shoot people, blow up houses, etc. And a lot of the game is really annoying. I'm sorry to say it, but it's really not that great of a game.

Perhaps your expectations were a bit misplaced? I mean you expect GTAIV to deviate far from the formula that has proven successful in the past? I'm just wondering what you were expecting, GTAIV the FPS? GTAIV the JRPG? What?

I don't need to play MGS4 to know what the gameplay is going to be like, I don't need to play COD5 to know what the gameplay is going to be like. These are 4th, 5th iterations of a franchise.

[quote name='yukine']Perhaps your expectations were a bit misplaced? I mean you expect GTAIV to deviate far from the formula that has proven successful in the past? I'm just wondering what you were expecting, GTAIV the FPS? GTAIV the JRPG? What?

I don't need to play MGS4 to know what the gameplay is going to be like, I don't need to play COD5 to know what the gameplay is going to be like. These are 4th, 5th iterations of a franchise.[/quote]

You're right about that part. And I don't know what I was expecting. I was expecting a super awesome game that I wouldn't be able to set down for days. But I just found myself playing Vice City Stories all over again. (Most recent GTA I played.) I don't exactly know what it is, it just didn't have that addicting factor.

I just beat GTA 4, and I can say it was NOT the best game I ever played. Not even the best game on the 360, imo. It was a great game, but I just felt like they added to many frivolous things (no I dont want to go clucking bell with you for the 9th fucking time in 2 days) and really relied on realism. I found my self just taking taxis not to just save time, but becasue driving was so damn annoying.

That being said, it was REALLY fun, and the story was great for the first half, but the mafia shit at the end got boring.

Not to mention the multiplayer on this shit is simply broken, and having the game kick you back to singleplayer when it fails to get you in a game is fucking annoying as well.

Before the release, I would have said that Saints Row 2 had NO chance of being a better game than GTA IV, but not there is the slight possibility that SR2 will be more FUN (yes, I play games for FUN) than GTA IV.

Don't even get me started about how the story played out the end. Seems like they ran out of time or some crap.

I'd give this game a solid 9.0/10. IF the multiplayer actually worked, I would give it a 9.2ish, but imo the multiplayer (from what I played) really is just piss poor.

And my god, of the 94 missions in this game, atleast 25 of them were fucking chase missions. God damn! Not to mention some were scripted and you couldnt kill the person until a certain point.

I've just been slowly playing it in short bursts. Its not super amazing but its still fun. I just got into the online today and thats been pretty fun thus far. Give that a shot.

I would say yes, it is a really fun game. The crashes are pretty cool, and the online is fun. But Saints Row was one of my favorite games and GTA IV kinda took some of the stuff you saw in it. It looks like Saints Row 2 is shaping up to be cooler. And I don't know about anyone else, but customizing cars in Saints Row was fuckin awesome.

i've got about 82 missions done and now my game has decided it doesn't feel like giving me any more. i thought i read about this on here somewhere, but i can't seem to find it. is there any fix for this or am i going to have to revert to my last save...40 missions ago?

[quote name='bigdsinferno']i've got about 82 missions done and now my game has decided it doesn't feel like giving me any more. i thought i read about this on here somewhere, but i can't seem to find it. is there any fix for this or am i going to have to revert to my last save...40 missions ago?[/QUOTE]There's a point in the game where you stop getting missions for a short period of time.

Question:
What's the list mission you did? Has Roman gotten engaged and told you when the wedding is going to be?

[quote name='MisterHand']There's a point in the game where you stop getting missions for a short period of time.

Question:
What's the list mission you did? Has Roman gotten engaged and told you when the wedding is going to be?
[/QUOTE]

no, i'm passed that point. unfortunately, i was being chased by the cops and somehow hung up on the person calling me. i tried calling everyone in my phonebook, waiting it out, dying, now i'm driving around looking for the mission but i have no idea which one is next. the last one i did was called liquidize the assets, but from the guides i've looked at i didn't go in the same order.

edit: looks like i'm on the mission "that special someone."

edit, again: woohoo! found it, even though it didn't show up in my map, the yellow arrow was there in front of liberty paper and the mission began. Thanks!

GTA 4, IMO, was no where near the 10s that it got. I was expecting GTA when I bought it, but I was expecting the same exact mission over and over and over. You were either chasing somebody or doing a stronghold ( Saint's Row ) type thing. Over and over and over. Just with different names, locations, etc. It's like for every one cool thing that happens there's a few shitty missions that you have to do.

I personally just don't like the MP. None of the gimmick modes really catch my attention ( besides GTA race, which is very easy to lose within the first few seconds of the race ) and the deathmatches bored me. It suffered from the same problems that Saint's Row had with the AK. It's like a god weapon.

I wished there was more places to go. More clothes you could buy. The ability to buy cars and take them to be customized. Yeah, these aren't really necessary, but I thought these were very fun to do in Saint's Row. The city is so big, but it seems like there's not much interesting to do. Maybe some of the dates and such wouldn't be so boring if you could actually see what the hell's going on with the ability to skip ( i.e eating at the restaurants, going to bars or clubs ) .

That being said, I still think it's a fun game. It had me hooked for a while. But I'm looking into SR2 now, as I think it has the potential to be a lot better. I just hope that they keep doing their thing and try not to be more like GTA IV.

check this

embed%3E

[quote name='yukafls']Haha, I laugh every time at this video. This is why I am getting Saints Row 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVpqF2VnkY[/quote]

Yeah from what i remember SR had better handling with cars, so better handling means more fun driving and hitting jumps. Handling is one of the sad spots about GTA IV, i dont care if its more realistic, its less fun when you are sliding all over. I think missions would have been more epic when being chased by the cops at high speeds being able to turn corners at a fast speed. But it seemed like you could lose the cops going 20 MPH in GTA IV. Plus whats the deal with GTA IV having no helicopter with no missiles. A tank would have been nice too. Of course they went realistic. Saints Row 2 should be hella fun.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah from what i remember SR had better handling with cars, so better handling means more fun driving and hitting jumps. Handling is one of the sad spots about GTA IV, i dont care if its more realistic, its less fun when you are sliding all over. I think missions would have been more epic when being chased by the cops at high speeds being able to turn corners at a fast speed. But it seemed like you could lose the cops going 20 MPH in GTA IV. Plus whats the deal with GTA IV having no helicopter with no missiles. A tank would have been nice too. Of course they went realistic. Saints Row 2 should be hella fun.[/QUOTE]

GTA IV's Car Handling was top notch.

That Saint's Row trailer was pretty sweet. I really liked the first one and can't wait for 2 even though it looks like Saint's Row 1 with a new story.

I do. Think it might turn it in at least while I can get half of retail. At least after I'm done with the single player achievements.

bread's done
Back