Great deal for getting the Star Wars PSP at Amazon.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

sith ninja

CAG Veteran
I just went to Amazon.com to see if they would let me preorder the new Star Wars edition PSP. While there, I saw an ad that said if I applied for and was approved for the Amazon.com credit card, I would get $30 off this item.

So I did. I also went ahead and ordered the Logitech hardshell case, a 1 GB memory stick, the new componenet output cables for the PSP and the Sony PSP headphones and went ahead and chose 2-day shipping. While checking out, it offered to let me try Amazon Prime free, and they would give me FREE 2-day shipping.

All together, my order came out to $284, and I'm guaranteed to get the PSP, since Gamestop is not taking preorders on it (I'm too big of a Star Wars freak to let this pass).

$284 for a $30 game. Great deal! We all know about these Amazon and Google Checkout coupon deal thingies and it'sbeen determined that these aren't "deals".

[quote name='emceelokey']$284 for a $30 game. Great deal! We all know about these Amazon and Google Checkout coupon deal thingies and it'sbeen determined that these aren't "deals".[/QUOTE]

it's a star wars themed PSP, but yeah, getting $30 for applying for a CC isn't a deal.

[quote name='Apossum']it's a star wars themed PSP, but yeah, getting $30 for applying for a CC isn't a deal.[/QUOTE]

Especially considering that it's not a very good card from what my brother told me. My brother did that said it was a pretty bad card compared to the other ones he had (his average interest rate was like less than 9% but that card's interest rate was 18% or something like that). But this was a year ago so I dunno if it's the same card.

amazon cc sucks . hell amazon sucks : )

i got an offer for a credit card the other day

0% interest until sept 2008 (1 year) after that FIxXED 10% APY

now that is a hell of a deal getting a Fixxed 10% rate on a credit card (other cards i got % is like 18%

Amazon offered me a $25 gift cert when I tried to cancel the credit card.

I'm glad I stuck with them cause Buy.com used to be better but now they suck. The fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax for CA helps too.

[quote name='Vinny']Especially considering that it's not a very good card from what my brother told me. My brother did that said it was a pretty bad card compared to the other ones he had (his average interest rate was like less than 9% but that card's interest rate was 18% or something like that). But this was a year ago so I dunno if it's the same card.[/QUOTE]

It's the same. I have this card and yeah, it does kinda suck. You have to get 2500 points to get a $25 gc. 1 point = $1 at non-amazon stores and 3 points = $1 at amazon (marketplace not included.) There was no interest for 6 months as well.

I got it since I knew I was buying a ton of crap over the next 6 months and that I keep it paid off, so APR isn't an issue, but I wish I had gone with something with 1 year no-financing so I could take it easier on payments.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Nothing like hurting your credit rating to save $30...[/QUOTE]

How about a free 6" sub instead? That's what they're doing here at UW. They have guys all over town handing out pamphlets about free Subway, then you go, there's a guy sitting there with the credit application, with a line of freshman.

It's just the most perfect, vivid illustration of survival of the fittest. :lol:

[quote name='Vinny']Especially considering that it's not a very good card from what my brother told me. My brother did that said it was a pretty bad card compared to the other ones he had (his average interest rate was like less than 9% but that card's interest rate was 18% or something like that). But this was a year ago so I dunno if it's the same card.[/QUOTE]

It's not a bad card. Interest rate will vary by your credit score.

You get 1 point for every $1 spent, and 3 points for every $1 spent at amazon.como. Every 2,500 points you get a $25 Amazon GC. So not the greatest, but not terrible either.

I like it as you can buy pretty much anything on Amazon, so it's a handy place to have GCs to. I just put pretty much everything on it and pay it off in full each month. I may eventually ditch it for a card that gives me airline miles though.

so this is not a specific video game deal, i thought the bundle dropped in price or something...

w00t didnt we already have a 7 page debate thread about the merits and downside to applying for a credit card in order to "save" money

almost any credit card sucks if you can't afford to pay it off right away. sheesh...

" Did you know that millions of Americans live with debt they cannot control? That's why I developed this unique new program for managing your debt. It's called "Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford."

- Chris Parnell, SNL

I think amazon is a great site...this however is not a great deal...its a bad deal actually.

you save money now, but will pay them back later...thats how they get you...

[quote name='OGHowie']Amazon offered me a $25 gift cert when I tried to cancel the credit card.

I'm glad I stuck with them cause Buy.com used to be better but now they suck. The fact that Amazon doesn't charge tax for CA helps too.[/quote]

CA as in California? Amazon isn't charging you tax even though you live in California?

Wow and get this... If you apply for a Discover card and spend $20,000 you'll get enough in cash back awards to get this for free!!!! AWESOME!!!

What's your problem with this card? This is the ultimate card IMHO. Most cards have similar points programs--1 point per $100 dollars. I had a Toys R Us card for years with the same reward system (1 point out of store, 3 points in store)--the neat thing about it was they doled out the credit in $10 chunks. the bad thing it was Toys R Us credit.

Anyway--I never keep a balance...so this card rocks. I got Amazon prime and buy almost everything except food on Amazon with this card. Incluing various bills etc. I get a nice coupon in the mail every month or so. And I don't have to waste time slogging through SoCal traffic to Fry's or whatever.

You have to watch out though--some of the Amazon offers only give you 1500 points on your first purchase, while others give you the $30 off.

Dang, 10% interest. All my cards have shot up to closer to 20%, though I don't carry any loans at that price. I kind of thought once I got my cards paid off the rate would go back down, but it hasn't (I've got a good credit rating too, apparently-it's all voodoo how they figure that stuff though).

[quote name='allyourblood']almost any credit card sucks if you can't afford to pay it off right away. sheesh...

" Did you know that millions of Americans live with debt they cannot control? That's why I developed this unique new program for managing your debt. It's called "Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford."

- Chris Parnell, SNL[/quote]

Thank You. For all the people bitching about this - come back to reality. If you can't afford to pay it off, then why are you buying it? Usually I'm shocked when I read about how much credit card debt the average person has. After reading this, not so much any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back