Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

[quote name='rybrad']Old voucher code has expired. I will update with a new one if added later today.

Daily(ish) Deal

Viking: Battle for Asgard $7.49 (Steamworks)
Battlefield 3: Premium Edition $39.99 (Requires Origin)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for maintaining this thread. Thanks to it, I've been able to score some cheap PC games I've been wanting.

I'd total hop on the BF3 deal if there were some coupon that stacked with it

[quote name='Cofresi']Is me or they extended the Chivalry sale?[/QUOTE]
It is still $12.49 at the moment but according to the homepage banner and blog post it was supposed to expire this morning. If they post anything official on extending it and a deadline I will update the OP.

if there is some coupon code, ill probably buy bf3 premium edition, i have a question, i have bf3 already if i buy premium edition will i get the dlc and an extra copy of bf3?

[quote name='buckythekat']it's some big BS that they cancel the survey code over 2 weeks early and do it in the middle of the night for Americans[/QUOTE]

You really can't have an issue with that second part, right?

They're a European company, why the hell should they be running on our time?

[quote name='Eldredpe']You really can't have an issue with that second part, right?

They're a European company, why the hell should they be running on our time?[/QUOTE]

Stop making sense! We're Americans and we should demand the world revolve around us. ;)

On a semi-serious note though I guess I didn't read the fine print either because I thought the code was good through the 14th and assumed that when it's, you know, day time where I am at on the 14th it would still work.

Also, time zones aside they still deserve to be called out on their whole this 35% code is good until January 1st, oh when we said January first we really meant December 14th, thing.

Was hoping Viking dropped to $3.75ish during these Holiday sales. It's new-ish to PC but the game itself is over four years old.

[quote name='Eldredpe']You really can't have an issue with that second part, right?

They're a European company, why the hell should they be running on our time?[/QUOTE]

that also means they did it in the morning for Europeans (they are based out of the UK)

they ended it 18 days early and at ~10am UK time, why not wait until the end of the business day for the UK even?

[quote name='buckythekat']that also means they did it in the morning for Europeans (they are based out of the UK)

they ended it 18 days early and at ~10am UK time, why not wait until the end of the business day for the UK even?[/QUOTE]

Is 10AM GMT the time they roll their deals over?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Is 10AM GMT the time they roll their deals over?[/QUOTE]

Well yes (or I thought it was noon GMT but anyway) but when you say something is good until the 14th if it's not going to be good the whole day of the 14th local time then I think it's reasonable to specify that.

I know Valve has their whole 10AM PST thing but they do also have timers that count down.

It's not the end of the world but might have been nice to know.

Yeah, it's a bunch of BS that they canceled the survey voucher early. I didn't even find out about that until today. They sent me an e-mail about it 3 days ago apparently, but the subject title was "Thanks for the feedback, here's 35% off". I never bothered opening it since I assumed it was a reminder of the January 1 expiration date on the voucher I got, not a notice that they changed the expiration date so drastically.

The next time they send me a survey I'll be sure to give them the lowest scores possible. I don't care if it's petty, I find actions like this insulting.

This is getting quite disgusting. GMG frequently does extremely good sales well below Amazon/Steam and does tons of promo's. Then they offer discount codes for answering a survey and the codes get spread far and wide, no doubt far beyond the intended use. Rather then end the promo as they have every right to do, they cut it short.

While it's understandably annoying, You have to admit that there was clear abuse of the code done in this very thread. Christ, they do a nice thing and people want to blast them for it. Amazing.

OP updated.
[quote name='Bios Element']This is getting quite disgusting. GMG frequently does extremely good sales well below Amazon/Steam and does tons of promo's. Then they offer discount codes for answering a survey and the codes get spread far and wide, no doubt far beyond the intended use. Rather then end the promo as they have every right to do, they cut it short.

While it's understandably annoying, You have to admit that there was clear abuse of the code done in this very thread. Christ, they do a nice thing and people want to blast them for it. Amazing.[/QUOTE]
I suspect many of the people who bitch about GMG didn't even bother filling out the survey to help them improve either. The amount of bitching people do in this thread, and forum, in general has seen a massive increase lately. Frankly, it is pretty grating seeing whiners non-stop. Hell, one guy in this thread bitched about me not posting about an Amazon deal in this thread since it was less than the current GMG deal. I sincerely think a good chunk of people on this site care more about getting some perceived "amazing deal" rather than getting a good game for a good price and then playing it.

In other words, just ignore the people who are constant whiners or dumbasses. There are a few people who post in this thread often that I have on ignore and my experience here is much improved because of it.

GMG is awesome as usual. I sent to them that I didn't receive my 35% off code after pre-ordering Tomb Raider and also asked them if they can add the game's current promotion ($10 credit) to my order.

I got the credit and the voucher in less than an hour. These guys are too awesome.

[quote name='Bios Element']This is getting quite disgusting. GMG frequently does extremely good sales well below Amazon/Steam and does tons of promo's. Then they offer discount codes for answering a survey and the codes get spread far and wide, no doubt far beyond the intended use. Rather then end the promo as they have every right to do, they cut it short.

While it's understandably annoying, You have to admit that there was clear abuse of the code done in this very thread. Christ, they do a nice thing and people want to blast them for it. Amazing.[/QUOTE]

I've had nothing but great experiences with GMG. Even when things don't go well a simple help ticket resolves everything. There's been many times where I've purchased a game and a week later a new promo code or sale comes up and they've always credited my account with the difference.

It's disappointing that the survey code was abused. It took about 5 minutes to fill out and would probably help those guys out a lot with feedback.

[quote name='rybrad']OP updated.

I suspect many of the people who bitch about GMG didn't even bother filling out the survey to help them improve either. The amount of bitching people do in this thread, and forum, in general has seen a massive increase lately. Frankly, it is pretty grating seeing whiners non-stop. Hell, one guy in this thread bitched about me not posting about an Amazon deal in this thread since it was less than the current GMG deal. I sincerely think a good chunk of people on this site care more about getting some perceived "amazing deal" rather than getting a good game for a good price and then playing it.

In other words, just ignore the people who are constant whiners or dumbasses. There are a few people who post in this thread often that I have on ignore and my experience here is much improved because of it.[/QUOTE]

When you guys get done telling others how they are "disgusting" and "dumbasses" they are for calling GMG out for changing the terms of their voucher you might want to read what GMG actually wrote when they give out the code once you complete the voucher:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=rX02GdfNvy7+jNsiP+39sw==
[quote name='GreenManGaming']
We thank you very much for your time and input - your feedback will help us to make GMG better!

As a token of thanks for helping us out, please accept this single-use 35% voucher for use on the GMG store: WINTR-SRVEY-42012 (expires at 1200 GMT 14th December 2012*)

Nothing stops you from sharing it with your friends, but if you try to get them to do the survey first instead of giving them the code you'd really be helping us out. The more answers we get the better!

-GMG
[/quote]

Obviously they knew the code could and would be distributed. The internet being what it is that is bound to happen and their own wording clearly indicated they are okay with sharing it but would simply request (not require) that people ask others to do the survey if they share the key.

Further, they do have the ability to tie specific discount codes to people's individual accounts and they have done that in the past. If they really wanted to, they could have done that here but they didn't.

*The December 14th expiration date was originally January 1, 2013 before they changed it.

How was the code abused? I filled out the survey and didn't even know they ended it until a few minutes ago. I was holdings on to it for a nice preorder.

I don't really know how it could be abused though as it was one per account and many if the preorder games wouldn't let you use it.

[quote name='rybrad']OP updated.

In other words, just ignore the people who are constant whiners or dumbasses. There are a few people who post in this thread often that I have on ignore and my experience here is much improved because of it.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't happen to get any kickbacks from GMG for promoting this thread, would you? I say that for the lulz value because I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on GMG. They tend to have good prices but most of the time it's huge discounts on preordering AAA stuff I wouldn't pay over $10 for anyway. Of course, I'm an anomaly.

[quote name='Motoki']
Obviously they knew the code could and would be distributed. The internet being what it is that is bound to happen and their own wording clearly indicated they are okay with sharing it but would simply request (not require) that people ask others to do the survey if they share the key.

Further, they do have the ability to tie specific discount codes to people's individual accounts and they have done that in the past. If they really wanted to, they could have done that here but they didn't.

*The December 14th expiration date was originally January 1, 2013 before they changed it.[/QUOTE]

When I did the survey, it did indeed say it expired January 1, 2013. I planned to save it to maybe use during their Christmas sales. Frequenting this thread I have to say I was well aware of the change (though I never did use the code), but it's safe to say that most people weren't aware.

That's just no way to run a business.

You (not specifically you, but a general "you") can't cry foul because people were using it without taking the survey - it was set up that way. As you pointed out, there was even acknowledgement that the code would likely spread.

I like GMG and I love their coupons and pre-order bonuses... but for crying out loud, be consistent! There are so many knee-jerk reactions - extending and revoking coupons at the drop of a hat - that you just never know what to expect when you go to checkout.

I hope this isn't seen as piling on, but in the off chance a GMG rep cruises this thread, I would say this: don't turn positives into negatives. Coupons are awesome, but so is reliability.

[quote name='Mooby']You wouldn't happen to get any kickbacks from GMG for promoting this thread, would you? I say that for the lulz value because I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on GMG. They tend to have good prices but most of the time it's huge discounts on preordering AAA stuff I wouldn't pay over $10 for anyway. Of course, I'm an anomaly.[/QUOTE]
That is an absolutely ridiculous insinuation and has been brought up before several times, which annoys me greatly. I started this thread summer 2011 when they had a hot Deus Ex deal and no one had heard of them. Since then, I have updated this thread almost daily as a service to the CAG community which has provided me with many deals over the years. Over the time I have managed this thread I have had to deal with countless complaints and insults (the PMs are usually the best) all for trying to help people get good deals.

I have been thinking about giving up on this thread for a bit now but this is the final straw for me. I will no longer be updating or participating in this thread. If someone would like to take over updates, I would suggest making a new thread so you can update the OP title as only the OP or mods can. I will change the thread title to something more generic so it does not stay as old deals and the OP is of course a wiki so anyone can edit the content.

[quote name='rybrad']That is an absolutely ridiculous insinuation and has been brought up before several times, which annoys me greatly. I started this thread summer 2011 when they had a hot Deus Ex deal and no one had heard of them. Since then, I have updated this thread almost daily as a service to the CAG community which has provided me with many deals over the years. Over the time I have managed this thread I have had to deal with countless complaints and insults (the PMs are usually the best) all for trying to help people get good deals.

I have been thinking about giving up on this thread for a bit now but this is the final straw for me. I will no longer be updating or participating in this thread. If someone would like to take over updates, I would suggest making a new thread so you can update the OP title as only the OP or mods can. I will change the thread title to something more generic so it does not stay as old deals and the OP is of course a wiki so anyone can edit the content.[/QUOTE]

I hate to see you get burned for doing a good deed. I appreciate all the updates you've made and you've been a better advocate for GMG than GMG has for itself. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a GMG rep in here at one time admitting as much.

Screw anyone giving you a hard time for helping out. If that's the case I can't say I blame you for wanting to bow out. You can't do anything nice on the internet without getting punished for it.

[quote name='pROvIs']How was the code abused? I filled out the survey and didn't even know they ended it until a few minutes ago. I was holdings on to it for a nice preorder.

I don't really know how it could be abused though as it was one per account and many if the preorder games wouldn't let you use it.[/QUOTE]

You know, they put that code directly on their website under the 'hot deals' link one day even. It wasn't exclusive to the survey even.

They made that same code available to the public last week under 'hot deals' where you can usually find their other promo codes.

And shucks, sad to see them 'expire' the code early. I too was saving it for an enticing sale offer.

[quote name='Mooby']You wouldn't happen to get any kickbacks from GMG for promoting this thread, would you? I say that for the lulz value because I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on GMG. They tend to have good prices but most of the time it's huge discounts on preordering AAA stuff I wouldn't pay over $10 for anyway. Of course, I'm an anomaly.[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose you could argue that he's more likely to get people to use his referral link when signing up for the store (I sure did). Mostly though, I think he does it out of a sense of message board civic responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hal']When I did the survey, it did indeed say it expired January 1, 2013. I planned to save it to maybe use during their Christmas sales. Frequenting this thread I have to say I was well aware of the change (though I never did use the code), but it's safe to say that most people weren't aware.

That's just no way to run a business.

You (not specifically you, but a general "you") can't cry foul because people were using it without taking the survey - it was set up that way. As you pointed out, there was even acknowledgement that the code would likely spread.

I like GMG and I love their coupons and pre-order bonuses... but for crying out loud, be consistent! There are so many knee-jerk reactions - extending and revoking coupons at the drop of a hat - that you just never know what to expect when you go to checkout.

I hope this isn't seen as piling on, but in the off chance a GMG rep cruises this thread, I would say this: don't turn positives into negatives. Coupons are awesome, but so is reliability.[/QUOTE]

I was so upset because I wasn't aware of the change having been busy with finals this past week and only discovering the change after it was too late (I was saving it for Christmas sales as well once I got Christmas checks from relatives)

given how they promoted it they could have at least emailed everyone to notify us of the change but they didn't

I'm here to complain about the 35% off code too, because at least here I know a lot of people will read it. I made what I thought to be a very compelling argument in their forums for how GMG handled the 35% off debacle, hoping that they would at least acknowledge their bad behavior. I even said something on their Facebook post about it, but they have not responded with one word addressing it. That means they don't care about their reputation or their customers. Honestly, it's now just about the principle of the thing, not just revoking a promised 35% discount. When a company like Steam screws up, at least they stick to their end of the bargain.

I took the survey when I got the email. At the end of the survey you got your code and it stated Jan 1, 2013 as the expiration. The email they sent later was titled "Thanks for the feedback, here's 35% off!" Now, if you already know it's going to be valid until 1/1/13 and you get a confirmation email titled like that, who is going to read through the email and just notice that the date was changed? It's purposeful misdirection and they need to fess up to it and reissue a new 35% off code to the people who did the survey but didn't get to use the code as promised. How about an email to all of the survey takers titled, "Xmas Survey change of expiration!". That gets my attention!

Here's the simple break down.
1) Offer survey via email with a reward for spending the time to do it.
2) Offer the code to everyone else on the planet at the same time for no work.
3) Get massive attention from the deal as expected.
4) Change the terms of the deal with little warning to make sure people wouldn't cash in their 35% code.
5) Ignore all negative response until the smoke clears.

Funny thing is they put up a new 25% off voucher today, but the game I want is no longer on sale. Surprise surprise.

[quote name='Mooby']You wouldn't happen to get any kickbacks from GMG for promoting this thread, would you?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']No one is crucifying you. No need to over dramatize the situation.[/QUOTE]

tumblrlf4l2oedax1qgsu5a.gif

[quote name='RuzzT']I'm here to complain about the 35% off code too, because at least here I know a lot of people will read it. I made what I thought to be a very compelling argument in their forums for how GMG handled the 35% off debacle, hoping that they would at least acknowledge their bad behavior. I even said something on their Facebook post about it, but they have not responded with one word addressing it. That means they don't care about their reputation or their customers. Honestly, it's now just about the principle of the thing, not just revoking a promised 35% discount. When a company like Steam screws up, at least they stick to their end of the bargain.

I took the survey when I got the email. At the end of the survey you got your code and it stated Jan 1, 2013 as the expiration. The email they sent later was titled "Thanks for the feedback, here's 35% off!" Now, if you already know it's going to be valid until 1/1/13 and you get a confirmation email titled like that, who is going to read through the email and just notice that the date was changed? It's purposeful misdirection and they need to fess up to it and reissue a new 35% off code to the people who did the survey but didn't get to use the code as promised. How about an email to all of the survey takers titled, "Xmas Survey change of expiration!". That gets my attention!

4) Change the terms of the deal with little warning to make sure people wouldn't cash in their 35% code.

Funny thing is they put up a new 25% off voucher today, but the game I want is no longer on sale. Surprise surprise.[/QUOTE]

They definitely are trying to screw you over specifically. I would recommend pursuing legal action against them for these dishonorable acts.

So I get why people are upset about the voucher date changing, it sucks, they didn't make it clear, etc. I was waiting to use it, I didn't find anything to use it on prior to it expiring.

I also know that just like today's 25% code, GMG is going to have another code up and another and there will be another game they will have the best price on and I will use them again. No need to beat this thing into the ground. If this is such a huge deal that you won't use them again then don't. Send them a snarky email and be on your way with it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']They definitely are trying to screw you over specifically. I would recommend pursuing legal action against them for these dishonorable acts.

So I get why people are upset about the voucher date changing, it sucks, they didn't make it clear, etc. I was waiting to use it, I didn't find anything to use it on prior to it expiring.

I also know that just like today's 25% code, GMG is going to have another code up and another and there will be another game they will have the best price on and I will use them again. No need to beat this thing into the ground. If this is such a huge deal that you won't use them again then don't. Send them a snarky email and be on your way with it.[/QUOTE]

:giggle:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']They definitely are trying to screw you over specifically. I would recommend pursuing legal action against them for these dishonorable acts.[/QUOTE]

I've never met you or interacted with you before today. Thanks for being denigrating, it's so cool you know.

[quote name='RuzzT']I'm here to complain about the 35% off code too, because at least here I know a lot of people will read it. I made what I thought to be a very compelling argument in their forums for how GMG handled the 35% off debacle, hoping that they would at least acknowledge their bad behavior. I even said something on their Facebook post about it, but they have not responded with one word addressing it. That means they don't care about their reputation or their customers. Honestly, it's now just about the principle of the thing, not just revoking a promised 35% discount. When a company like Steam screws up, at least they stick to their end of the bargain.

Funny thing is they put up a new 25% off voucher today, but the game I want is no longer on sale. Surprise surprise.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you actually used the term Indian Givers, well done. Its really not that big of a deal and if this ruffles your feathers that much you must have a really easy life. If you've ever shopped at GMG you know that they regularly have promotions that offer somewhere around or above 25% off games. I know the 35% off discount is pretty large, and doesnt come around too often, but instead of getting this bent out of shape you should maybe appreciate the fact that they are a retailer you can regularly get steam keys for cheaper than anywhere else, and that these sorts of issues with their promo codes (which they seem to always have running) rarely seem to happen.

Now time for something real to bitch about: Why wont GMG change their name so my bank wont think they are a gambling site wah wah wah

[quote name='RuzzT']I've never met you or interacted with you before today. Thanks for being denigrating, it's so cool you know.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least I read it... right?

[quote name='RuzzT']I've never met you or interacted with you before today. Thanks for being denigrating, it's so cool you know.[/QUOTE]

snw_9715.PNG

I'd just like to say for me personally that I consider the actual difference between 25% and 35% to be fairly negligible, especially when you are talking about cheap games already.

I'm not bothered so much that I get 10% off less as just the principle of the matter. As Hal said it's not really great way to run a business.

I don't want to sue them and I will probably buy from them again if they have a deal on something I want. It does make me question them and not really trust them to some respect though. If I see another code with an expiration date can I safely wait until the original time they give knowing I have until then to use it and make my purchase or will they revoke the code again? Who knows.

I just think as a business it's not worth pissing people off and potentially losing trust over a voucher being made available for another couple of weeks when it can only be used once and is only 10% more of a discount than what they are currently offering and only 5% more than what they had been recently offering without restrictions (the 30% voucher they had for a while).

As for the question Mooby asked about if Rybrad was receiving any compensation it's a valid question. A number of the deal threads here to various sites contain specific links that do give incentives for the referral. It's not unheard of. If that isn't the case here then simply say no and that's the end of it.

I don't see the need to go 'I'm so offended by this question that I'm quitting' and in fact I suspect he wanted to be done with it anyway and was looking for an excuse.

Oh well, now we can have another thread where the OP doesn't get updated and it can piss off that angry dude even more.

I must be the only guy on the internet who doesn't care that the 35% off coupon got altered. At this point, except for new releases, I pretty much own everything that isn't likely to show up in a bundle. It would have been a challenge finding something to use it on.

In fact, before I realized that it was the same code for everybody, I was planning to just drop my code for somebody else to use.

[quote name='The End']I must be the only guy on the internet who doesn't care that the 35% off coupon got altered. At this point, except for new releases, I pretty much own everything that isn't likely to show up in a bundle. It would have been a challenge finding something to use it on.

In fact, before I realized that it was the same code for everybody, I was planning to just drop my code for somebody else to use.[/QUOTE]

I don't care about the 35%. I care that it's going to make me second guess everything they say now.

I'm having a hard time following this conversation - did the 35% coupon end already, or was the end date changed to something sooner than Jan 1?

[quote name='inm8num2']I'm having a hard time following this conversation - did the 35% coupon end already, or was the end date changed to something sooner than Jan 1?[/QUOTE]

It was changed to yesterday.

[quote name='inm8num2']I'm having a hard time following this conversation - did the 35% coupon end already, or was the end date changed to something sooner than Jan 1?[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes.

A bit off topic but....
When asked about selling Amazon kindle cards I was told "Not yet".

They already have the actual cards with the kindle bundle. Perhaps they will be selling the Kindle cards separately after the holidays? Easy Amazon transfer :)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It was changed to yesterday.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Yes and yes.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, that's what it sounded like but I wasn't sure.

I initially thought I should have held onto the code longer, but I'm glad I used it when i did.

Either way GMG will still have some great deals and vouchers on top of those during the next couple of weeks.

bread's done
Back