Groupon: Purchase a $15 eBay Gift Certificate for $7

[quote name='Shadowiii']I don't understand how it works; do I put the code in after buying an item?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems the question has been asnwered. I have yet to recieve any I bought on the normal site; I 'm assuming I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow. ah well .[/QUOTE]

With the Barnes and Noble fiasco the orders on the site never went through very well. But the orders from the touch or mobile site went through right away. I would guess that this turns out to be the same way. If you want one I would order it soon using the mobile site. I ordered three on the main site and never got any of them. I ordered seven through the mobile and got and used them all. I can see this getting canceled pretty quick with all the abuse going on. You'd think Groupon would have learned their lesson with B&N.

[quote name='iRandom']I used the $15 coupon but on my paypal statement, I was charged -$43.49 USD
I bought the 4k MSP
Is this right?[/QUOTE]

Yes if you look at the details it lists the eBay gift card in there.

[quote name='iRandom']I used the $15 coupon but on my paypal statement, I was charged -$43.49 USD
I bought the 4k MSP
Is this right?[/QUOTE]

Make sure to check your paypal receipt. If you did the groupon thing say, a few times (cough), you'll see $0.00 USD as the amount under "Total" and "Payment" meaning your paypal charge was entirely funded by the ebay giftcard. Of course, if you used one ebay code only then your total and payment amount should be whatever the full charge was minus the amount of the ebay code.

Edit: noone13 beat me to the punch with a more succinct explanation. Yep, you can check your paypal account and then details for the transaction to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did not want to abuse this deal like some over on SD (some people are up to 100 codes) but I did use a few accounts from my emails and a few different CC to get 5 which I turned into a 4000 point card and Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood. Not bad for $35.

Here's what it shows

Total amount: -$43.49 USD
Fee amount: $0.00 USD
Net amount: -$43.49
USD Date: Mar 29, 2011
Time: 20:08:45 PDT

Shipping & Handling via Other (see description)
(includes any seller handling fees): --
Shipping Insurance : --
Sales Tax (8.750% in CA): $3.50 USD
greyline.gif

Total: $43.49 USD

Funding Type:
Redemption Code and PayPal Funds Funding Source:
$15.00 USD - eBay Gift Card #XXXXXXXXXXXX
$28.49 USD - PayPal Account

edit... got back in.. waiting for email confirmation.

meh nada. maybe itll be there when i wake up.. if not o well.. dont see anything charged on the ol' card

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have not received confirmation but have an smartphone, download the groupon app and the "deal" will show up in your purchased deals.

I have $26 in Groupon referral money, but the site only asked for my credit card info and never gave any mention of, well...anything.

Between crashing and awkward signed-in but not signed-in issues, I'm beginning to wonder if Groupon is as big as they seem. It's only been 130k+ takers so far, LivingSocial didn't die with over a million takers.

[quote name='iRandom']Here's what it shows

Total amount: -$43.49 USD
Fee amount: $0.00 USD
Net amount: -$43.49
USD Date: Mar 29, 2011
Time: 20:08:45 PDT

Shipping & Handling via Other (see description)
(includes any seller handling fees): --
Shipping Insurance : --
Sales Tax (8.750% in CA): $3.50 USD
greyline.gif

Total: $43.49 USD

Funding Type:
Redemption Code and PayPal Funds Funding Source:
$15.00 USD - eBay Gift Card #XXXXXXXXXXXX
$28.49 USD - PayPal Account[/QUOTE]

WTF is up with the sales tax? I'm sick of retailers/ companies shafting consumers with taxes on gift certificates. Cash and cash equivalents are not taxed in California. Grrrr.

(bold and underlining is mine)

This was my first groupon and I was surprised that I never got a confirmation email of the purchase or notification that the deal was ready.

How do we know when the deal is ready? I have a number like #345387878-0-1 (no, not the real number it's telling me) in my account, is that the gift card number I enter into ebay or just my order number?

[quote name='Magic_Knight']How do we know when the deal is ready? I have a number like #345387878-0-1 (no, not the real number it's telling me) in my account, is that the gift card number I enter into ebay or just my order number?[/QUOTE]

there's a link to print it (pdf file)
click it and the promo code should be in there

[quote name='iRandom']there's a link to print it (pdf file)
click it and the promo code should be in there[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the reply!

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Says that coupon will only be effective tomorrow... bah!

Anyone actually try to use their GROUPON on the same day?[/QUOTE]

Groupons are always next-day.

[quote name='Raymond']Does the gift certificate have an expiration date?[/QUOTE]

I'd use it ASAP before Groupon decides they fucked up somewhere and recall them - like with B&N deal.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Says that coupon will only be effective tomorrow... bah!

Anyone actually try to use their GROUPON on the same day?[/QUOTE]
yea, i used mine the moment it went live. seems to have went through no problems. already got positive feedback for paying for my purchase. also on the cc statement online it shows the $7 GROUPON charge and the $1.30 PAYPAL charge cuz the total purchase from EBAY was $16.30. so everything looks in order.

Used the coupon this morning on the $40 4000 MS Points. Made my total investment $32. And just oredered another groupon as well.

I just purchased through the 1st posted site simply because I signed up on the touch one and when I put my credit card number in the site safety thing at the address had a yellow caution sign. I clicked on it and determined my credit card number could be compromised. So I tried it out on the 1st posted site from the OP and it was totally green and safe and encrypted. Since I'd already signed up with groupon on the touch page figured I may as well go ahead and order. Looks like the 4000 points card deal is over but I'm sure I can find something on ebay over $15 that I want. Thanks OP, I hope all goes well.

So here's my question... with everyone ordering multiple codes which company is getting totally screwed? Ebay, or Groupon? It seems that Ebay may be getting F'd cause basically the exchange rate between the actual dollar and ebay dollar became 1:2 with this, and Ebay is going to have to make up the difference to the sellers right? Nevertheless I ordered 6

^ yeah i was wondering the same thing been over 10 hours and still no email, could anybody that ordered from the link tell me how long it took them to get there code.

[quote name='cgm92284']^ yeah i was wondering the same thing been over 10 hours and still no email, could anybody that ordered from the link tell me how long it took them to get there code.[/QUOTE]

I ordered before lunch yesterday and got my code at 5PM yesterday...so I wouldn't worry yet.

Thanks OP! :applause: Going to use that in combo with my ebay bucks to get Call of Duty World at War :ps3: for $7 with some left over for later. Nice!

Maybe a dumb question but can these gift cards be used on Half.com too? I usually just rush through the payment screen on there so I don't know if there is a place to enter gift cards for payment.

Did buy one yesterday, so thanks OP. I'll definitely buy a bunch more with another CC and various gift cards today if they are good on half.com too.

This just occured to me as well. Would it have been possible to use your referral link for the other accounts you used to purchase multiples and get $10 for each extra code you buy?

[quote name='MrshllJcb']This just occured to me as well. Would it have been possible to use your referral link for the other accounts you used to purchase multiples and get $10 for each extra code you buy?[/QUOTE]

I plan to do just that and I will let you know. I think the $10 is for a future purchase, but I did this successfully with Livingsocial which is a similar site and used that credit to buy something like a month later.

This really was an amazing promotion. I just wish I had more credit cards. With my codes all spent the final tally on what I got for $42 spread across my 5 ccs and 1 debit card is:

Big Brain Academy- DS
Mario Kart DS
Grand Theft Auto ChinaTown Wars- DS
C.O.P The Recruit- DS
Uncharted 2- PS3
And 4 Books on Babies and pregnancy cause my gf is preggo and I wanted to please her (thats gonna be serious points)

Has anyone received theirs from Groupon yet? I purchased it last night and haven't gotten anything in email yet...

Okay...I find this weird. I just ordered from Groupon for the first time. I gave them my credit card number, email and created a password but I still haven't received any sort of account confirmation. I tried signing into the website with the email and password but no luck. Does anyone know how long it would take for 1st time Groupon buyers to receive some kind of account confirmation?

bread's done
Back