GT5 Prologue - Out Now For PSN/Retail - 10/3: New Update Adds Three Cars + Bug Fixes

[quote name='smiggity']Well, I bought it and got home around Noon EST. Still have not played the game b/c of the mandatory install and the patch d/l. The patch is about a third of the way through so I still have like 20 mins left. I am a huge fan of PD but this is pretty much fucked.

Edit- K, all is well now. The game is sick. One dissapointment I have, and Frisky mentioned it, is that I was under the impression the the Top Gear and Best Motoring would be available at launch? The only GT TV items were Opening Movie and one other video. If someone could clear that up for me that would be cool. All in all, the game is easily worth 40 bucks.[/quote]

I have a feeling we're going to hear a lot of stories like this: "Man, I have to install? This is gay.......OH SHIT THIS GAME IS SWEET. WOOOO." :lol:

And for the impatient people, you don't HAVE to update the game the first time, I don't think. You won't be able to play online until you update though.

[quote name='smiggity']Well, I bought it and got home around Noon EST. Still have not played the game b/c of the mandatory install and the patch d/l. The patch is about a third of the way through so I still have like 20 mins left. I am a huge fan of PD but this is pretty much fucked.

Edit- K, all is well now. The game is sick. One dissapointment I have, and Frisky mentioned it, is that I was under the impression the the Top Gear and Best Motoring would be available at launch? The only GT TV items were Opening Movie and one other video. If someone could clear that up for me that would be cool. All in all, the game is easily worth 40 bucks.[/quote]

I hate that I have to wait till next week. :cry:

Yeah, I knew about the installation & patch beforehand but the amount of time it took sucked. First thing I did was jump into an on-line race and it was awesome. Another thing that was not good was the fact that the update clunked out twice and I had to restart. Update was not mandatory unless you want to play online though.

I hope i can find this today, for some reason I thought this came out yesterday and I was running all over and no stores had it in (I had to do other shopping, so not like I went just for this, but I did check Wally, GS, BB, and Target (where I go for groceries).

I will pick this up because I think I can definitely have $40 worth of fun with this. I can't wait until I get to do some online races where everyone is forced to have the same car, that will be some good competition.

Only decision now is should I spring for a new racing wheel....(I have the old wheel for GT3...but I lost the AC Adapter for it and using a 3rd party one gives sketchy results....)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Wait, install? Do you still need the disc?

I could see nefarious buy/ebay results if not.[/quote]
Yes, it's the same as every other game that installs.

You could get a good grasp with the GTHD download.

I bit on the $26.66 from Buy.com + GCO. I am not a huge fan of racing sims, but I am trying to flesh out my tastes in games.

[quote name='cuco33']I'm not picking up and won't get into why and my dislike of a paid beta. GT5P does in fact have 16 player online racing, I believe 72 cars and 6 tracks with various configurations. Tuning only, no modding as in you can tweak stock settings but you can't upgrade the suspension. I am not sure if you can upgrade the tires, that might be the only thing you can upgrade.[/quote]

Are you serious? So not only is it half the game for 60% of the cost, but it doesn't include modding? That's a lot less than HALF of the game.

No upgrading engine components? What the hell is the point of it then? Might as well play Need for Speed.

I know modding will be in GT5. I can get this for $30 at work, but seriously I'm not even paying $20 for a Gran Turismo with no upgrade options for cars. Modding cars was the sole reason I played Gran Turismo. GT without modding and upgrades is like cereal with no milk. What's the point?

[quote name='bobthecat23']anyone gonna be on tonight?[/quote]

I would, but I have to wait till it ships. Also, MGO update is slower than old people fornicating in glue. I am itching to play.

have no qualms about the amount of content you get for the price. The retarded part comes when you know you'll buy the full version and you'll pay full price on top of what you paid for prologue for 70% more content.

Talk about double dipping. Smart for polyphony since they have some hardcore fans desperate enough to pay for it.

I'm not even a hardcore fan and I'm tempted ;) But logic really prevails

First off I'm wondering if I'm the only one who brought the game since no one has mention the game update failure. The download starts fine but then it says it failed. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: It finally worked. Guess you have to keep on trying.

that sucks that a lot of these games don't work well on release and people have to wait to play them...

Ex: MLB 08: The Show, horrible release day support.

[quote name='SilverSurfer375']First off I'm wondering if I'm the only one who brought the game since no one has mention the game update failure. The download starts fine but then it says it failed. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: It finally worked. Guess you have to keep on trying.[/QUOTE]

It worked after try 3 :(

I'm going to be hitting up my 2 local EBstops today with the PS3 coupon with high hopes that someone got pissed off at trying to update the game and sold it back to EB. Prologue for ~25 sounds fine to me.

I played for about 2 hours last night, and enjoyed it. I love the in-car view. The online racing was VERY competitive, since there are no mods. I jumped into a race where we were all driving the little Acura, and it was awesome. One thing I like is that when someone makes a "sudden" move (as defined by the software), they become a ghost, and you go through them. It avoids a lot of the frustration. Trust me.

So from what I'm hearing you cannot race/setup games with people on your friends lists. Is this true? That would put a dampner on an official CAG game night.

EDIT: Hopefully this gets added in an update.

EDIT2: My copy shipped! Should have it by Monday.

It is true. Pretty much sucks. There is no way to race with your friends from what I can tell. Luck of the draw only it seems. The ghosting effect mentioned earlier is sweet though.

[quote name='smiggity']Not gonna happen dude[/QUOTE]

Nope, sure didn't. I'm sure it'll be common enough once the next "25% off a used PS3 game" coupon comes back around.

Played a few races and I'm loving it so far. The graphics are gorgeous, the interface is greatly improved over past Gran Turismos, and it's got the GT gameplay I love.

After a number of websites reported a 'rock solid framerate' and some mentioned the framerate fixes from the Japanese version; I took the plunge.

Second race at Suzuka- slight chugging around the high corner of the track. As someone whose very criticial of framerate, especially in precision games, I'm disappointed. I feel like I should have waited for the full release.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']After a number of websites reported a 'rock solid framerate' and some mentioned the framerate fixes from the Japanese version; I took the plunge.

Second race at Suzuka- slight chugging around the high corner of the track. As someone whose very criticial of framerate, especially in precision games, I'm disappointed. I feel like I should have waited for the full release.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry too much . I'm sure this thing will get more patches than Motorstorm when all is said and done .

Ugh, Sony is really going to have to hit hard with in-game XMB, cross game invites, and Home to get the community features up to spec. They need to start requiring companies to make proper use of the voice chat features and such.

[quote name='panasonic']They aren't making you pay, thats your choice. Its a fan service to release what they believe is highly representative of the final game early for people who really want to play it.[/QUOTE]

I just used your quote because it was the first one I saw.

To rationalize plunking down $40, I guess you could look at it from that perspective.

Fan service is usually free. They are not a holy entity trying to please fans. They are releasing Prologue because GT5 is taking too long, so they need to sell this Demo to help pay for their development costs, keep the coffers full and/or to nickel and dime consumers to death.

Unlike most people, I do have self-control and vote with my wallet. I will not be purchasing a Demo of a game, which may not even be the best racing series of this system cycle. If this sells well (unfortunately it will), then I believe other companies will try to shovel these crap Demos on to us to make a quick buck. I am trying to think long term :p

Upon hearing what it's lacking, I'm just waiting until they get voice chat in the game before I buy it.

I can't support Sony for allowing this kind of thing any longer. Nothings quite as easy to implement as they sound in games, but frankly it's voice chat, a function that's practically built into the PS3 and they still can't even utilize it.

[quote name='Richlough']I wouldn't worry too much . I'm sure this thing will get more patches than Motorstorm when all is said and done .[/quote]

Yes, me thinks this too. Adn they said they would be updating it right up until the release of GT5 which would at earliest be Summer '09.

So with 18 or so months worth of updates I'd say there will be a few additions.

I've put some more time into it, and here are a few additional thoughts:
-The game is challenging. Getting all gold is not a given.
-The engine sounds are the best to date. (Side note, I own a 2007 Infiniti G35--the U.S. equivalent of the game's Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP '06--and the authenticity is startling.)
-There is a lot of grinding. As mentioned in the IGN review, if you want all the cars, you're going to have to do either a lot of repeat races, or a lot of online races.

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah, I knew about the installation & patch beforehand but the amount of time it took sucked. First thing I did was jump into an on-line race and it was awesome. Another thing that was not good was the fact that the update clunked out twice and I had to restart. Update was not mandatory unless you want to play online though.[/QUOTE]The installation was larger than I thought (It was 5.5GB), but I knew it was required since the game was disc based made for a download (like Warhawk).

Anyway, the game controls like a dream.
[quote name='Vanigan']Upon hearing what it's lacking, I'm just waiting until they get voice chat in the game before I buy it.

I can't support Sony for allowing this kind of thing any longer. Nothings quite as easy to implement as they sound in games, but frankly it's voice chat, a function that's practically built into the PS3 and they still can't even utilize it.[/QUOTE]
It's a Japanese developed game. Most all games from SCEJ leave out voicechat, since their target is the Japanese market where online just isn't popular. Kind of the same reason Hot Shots Golf lacked voicechat.

Voice chat net being there does not really bug me. The fact that you cannot race with friends does. All things considered, I think I got a deal on this game for $40 bucks. Gives me something to play in the mornings when no english speaking people are on COD4..I really like it and hope the patches come quick

[quote name='Kromax']I've put some more time into it, and here are a few additional thoughts:
-The game is challenging. Getting all gold is not a given.
-The engine sounds are the best to date. (Side note, I own a 2007 Infiniti G35--the U.S. equivalent of the game's Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP '06--and the authenticity is startling.)
-There is a lot of grinding. As mentioned in the IGN review, if you want all the cars, you're going to have to do either a lot of repeat races, or a lot of online races.[/quote]
Did you manage to get Gold on race C8? I ran that race so many times I got enough money to buy an Evolution.

when you play online, i like how a car turns into a ghost if they get out of control. it helps when a car just loses control making a turn. and it keep those jackass drivers in line...you know the ones who are playin this like it's burnout or something.

[quote name='typeRJ']when you play online, i like how a car turns into a ghost if they get out of control. it helps when a car just loses control making a turn. and it keep those jackass drivers in line...you know the ones who are playin this like it's burnout or something.[/QUOTE]

A lot of racing games should do that because most people suck / cause a pile up on the first turn.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Is this in 1080p?[/quote]

The back of the box says, "480i, 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p".
It looks like it has full resolution support.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Is this in 1080p?[/quote]
Yes.

Managed to beat the B and C classes last night fairly easily, but I can't control the R35 for shit in of the A class races, so I'm saving up for an equally good car that I can control.

[quote name='typeRJ']when you play online, i like how a car turns into a ghost if they get out of control. it helps when a car just loses control making a turn. and it keep those jackass drivers in line...you know the ones who are playin this like it's burnout or something.[/quote]
That's a very nice feature. I just saw somebody crash, decide to drive through the course the wrong way, and he ghosted through my car, which was great.

Damn it, I want this game/extended trial. Anyone remember when that Amazon/GT5 code went out? I'm trying to look through my inbox to see if I still have it, but I'm guessing it's expired anyway.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
It's a Japanese developed game. Most all games from SCEJ leave out voicechat, since their target is the Japanese market where online just isn't popular. Kind of the same reason Hot Shots Golf lacked voicechat.[/quote]

That's really no excuse especially considering their biggest competitor, one that has beaten them solely on the quality of their software, has these community features as one of their key features of their console. If Sony really wants to succeed, they need to start mandating the inclusion of these features like voice chat.

While it's understandable that cultural differences are the reason behind these features not being included, Sony is a global company, if they want to sell in the US, they need to cater to that audience. This is why it's even more important for Sony to force this on all their first and second party developers, because if the game designers are unable to think about other cultures themselves, Sony needs to do it for them.

Look at the changes to MGS4 for example, they hired someone to make sure the game appealed more to Western audiences. And one of the biggest reasons I hear everywhere about why people choose the 360 over the PS3, and buy multiplatforms for the 360 over PS3 is that it's so much easier to play and talk to friends on the 360 than the PS3. That's even one of the major reasons why CheapyD prefers the 360.

This is why I now have my doubts about Sony after losing Phil Harrison. He was their champion for these kind of community features and social games. Despite the gestures they've made with Home, in-game XMB, etc... if they don't start making sure all their first party games make use of this from the beginning, then it'll take that much longer for those designers to realize that these features are always important.

[quote name='panasonic']They aren't making you pay, thats your choice. Its a fan service to release what they believe is highly representative of the final game early for people who really want to play it.[/quote]

$40 bucks tho... meh

bread's done
Back