GT5 Prologue - Out Now For PSN/Retail - 10/3: New Update Adds Three Cars + Bug Fixes

[quote name='Vanigan']That's really no excuse especially considering their biggest competitor, one that has beaten them solely on the quality of their software, has these community features as one of their key features of their console. If Sony really wants to succeed, they need to start mandating the inclusion of these features like voice chat.

While it's understandable that cultural differences are the reason behind these features not being included, Sony is a global company, if they want to sell in the US, they need to cater to that audience. This is why it's even more important for Sony to force this on all their first and second party developers, because if the game designers are unable to think about other cultures themselves, Sony needs to do it for them.

Look at the changes to MGS4 for example, they hired someone to make sure the game appealed more to Western audiences. And one of the biggest reasons I hear everywhere about why people choose the 360 over the PS3, and buy multiplatforms for the 360 over PS3 is that it's so much easier to play and talk to friends on the 360 than the PS3. That's even one of the major reasons why CheapyD prefers the 360.

This is why I now have my doubts about Sony after losing Phil Harrison. He was their champion for these kind of community features and social games. Despite the gestures they've made with Home, in-game XMB, etc... if they don't start making sure all their first party games make use of this from the beginning, then it'll take that much longer for those designers to realize that these features are always important.[/QUOTE]

good point.. Sony should have listened to Phil Harrison, and GT5 should have had voice chat, and Hot Shots should have had voice chat. MS puts more pressure on devs to included these online features because they have "paying" customers. Sony doesn't put enough pressure on devs in regards to online features. Sony needs to realize that the online component of games (some) may be the biggest selling point of the game. I want to say that Sony realizes what's needed for the online community and are preparing for it.. (by in game XMB, and HOME) but Sony disproves the point when two of its biggest games come out like they're back in the stone age... No voice chat? Warhawk, COD4, Resistance, Motorstorm, all big PS3 games, all had voice chat. Will I pay for live... no, I can live without the voice chat.. but damn if the game is going to be online, then you might as well include it.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm actually happy about the no voice chat thing. I really don't give a fuck how high you are or that you hate $$$$ers.[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't want it either. I only want GT5 online so I don't have to race against the AI. In the same way I don't need voicechat on Madden.

Voicechat is for children.. :) It's best if it's left to them... For games that would necessarily require it (GT isn't one of them), having it is fine... and some games provide it. But mandated by MS or Sony as a "must have" feature is severely limiting...

I'd rather not hear some 12 year old complaining about his effn' this or his mothereffen' that... Seriously... get a vocabulary..

How would requiring voice chat by either company be "severely limiting". Wouldn't it be the other way around?

For the people who would like to chat, the option's there. For those that don't, they can implement a mute function. Best of both worlds.

And getting into a room with some friends with voice chat in a racing game can be quite satisfying. I've had plenty of Forza races where people actually call which side they're passing on to avoid collisions along with other sportsman-like conduct so it's not all bad. Then again, you can't choose to race with friends so that kind of sucks.

I'm in the "I don't really need voice chat" group. It would be nice and all, but I just want to hop online, finish a few races to get some credits, and be on my way. Maybe when they allow private rooms, then I'll have a use for voice chat here, but I'm not crying the lack of voice chat for now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm in the "I don't really need voice chat" group. It would be nice and all, but I just want to hop online, finish a few races to get some credits, and be on my way. Maybe when they allow private rooms, then I'll have a use for voice chat here, but I'm not crying the lack of voice chat for now.[/quote]

yeah i like talking to ppl that i know from somewhere, like my friends or ppl from a forum like CAG, Team Forza, etc. but the rest of the world...ehhh not in this kind of game.

racing games tend to bring out the worst in ppl, just as much as shooters do. ppl can't stop bragging about how good their car setup is. they keep talking shit while racing. and when they can't beat you, they try to destroy your car and won't shut up....EVER. it REALLY sucks in Forza 2 when you play w/ damage. and to top it all off, this is where you might get a lot of negative player reviews or filed complaints from.

and besides, the awesome bgm and beautiful engine roar don't need to be interrupted by a random nerdy kid's yelling "PWNED! you sux0rz!!" every 10 seconds.

Voice chat isn't for random people you play with online. It's for friends who don't live close enough to see each other all the time but want to talk to each other while enjoying an online game.

For everyone one of you who doesn't want or use voice chat, there's quite a few more people who are interested in the social aspect of jumping into a game with just friends and chatting to each other via voice chat as they play.

Case in point, one of the big draws of golf is talking to fellow players as you play. It's a social experience. Yet somehow this was lost on the developers when they made a multiplayer mode without the ability to talk to your friends.

This goes hand in hand with the boneheaded decision not to allow private rooms, or any kind of private play between friends. It's the same thinking that made them not include voice chat as the two features go hand in hand.

You can say GT isn't the final version, but frankly if you're releasing in the US market you should focus on getting features up for that market.

[quote name='Vanigan']Voice chat isn't for random people you play with online. It's for friends who don't live close enough to see each other all the time but want to talk to each other while enjoying an online game.

For everyone one of you who doesn't want or use voice chat, there's quite a few more people who are interested in the social aspect of jumping into a game with just friends and chatting to each other via voice chat as they play.

Case in point, one of the big draws of golf is talking to fellow players as you play. It's a social experience. Yet somehow this was lost on the developers when they made a multiplayer mode without the ability to talk to your friends.

This goes hand in hand with the boneheaded decision not to allow private rooms, or any kind of private play between friends. It's the same thinking that made them not include voice chat as the two features go hand in hand.

You can say GT isn't the final version, but frankly if you're releasing in the US market you should focus on getting features up for that market.[/quote]
Since you can't hook up with friends yet online, then voice chat's not the problem you should be complaining about.

Voice chat should be included , if you don't want to use it don't .

Sony is a generation behind when it comes to online but give me a break .

Get with the times .

You guys complaining , about not wanting it , make it sound like someone would hold a gun to your head and make you wear the headset .

[quote name='Richlough']Voice chat should be included , if you don't want to use it don't .

Sony is a generation behind when it comes to online but give me a break .

Get with the times .

You guys complaining , about not wanting it , make it sound like someone would hold a gun to your head and make you wear the headset .[/quote]
Why would somebody complain about not wanting it? If you don't want it, don't hook up a headset. I don't think anybody would complain if those two features were actually in there. Believe it or not, there's this group of gamers that can take it or leave, where not having that specific feature doesn't cause them to not buy titles. Not having it in GT5 Prologue for online play doesn't make the game instantly repulsive, because their enjoyment of online play doesn't revolve around the mic.

If you absolutely must have it, good for you, you've already made that point over and over again. It will be coming at some point, so if you could wait until then since that and private rooms are features planned for an upcomming update.

Of course it sucks that they're not there at the game's launch, but there are some people that this doesn't destroy their world. There's still plenty of things to enjoy here that those people will still be satisfied regardless.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would somebody complain about not wanting it? If you don't want it, don't hook up a headset. I don't think anybody would complain if those two features were actually in there. Believe it or not, there's this group of gamers that can take it or leave, where not having that specific feature doesn't cause them to not buy titles. Not having it in GT5 Prologue for online play doesn't make the game instantly repulsive, because their enjoyment of online play doesn't revolve around the mic.

If you absolutely must have it, good for you, you've already made that point over and over again. It will be coming at some point, so if you could wait until then since that and private rooms are features planned for an upcomming update.

Of course it sucks that they're not there at the game's launch, but there are some people that this doesn't destroy their world. There's still plenty of things to enjoy here that those people will still be satisfied regardless.[/QUOTE]

I thought what I said was pretty cut and dry .

You apparently read alot into it .

I didn't post to start an argument , just to state my opinion .

[quote name='Richlough']I thought what I said was pretty cut and dry .

You apparently read alot into it .

I didn't post to start an argument , just to state my opinion .[/quote]
I wasn't directly responding to you, but everybody trying to drag this simple point out further than it really needs into argument territory while the rest of us want to enjoy the game and discuss that. I'd like to see people be able to move beyond that now.

Anybody else reach the Class A events? I've nearly beat them all and I'm really surprised by the great, unpredictable AI that these races feature over the other classes. They mess up turns and make mistakes, others want to pass the guy in front of them so much that they drive off course to get around them, and they're just so different from the "follow the line" AI drivers that populate most of the events before that. Whoever mentioned grinding was indeed right, as I still have the Ferarri race left in Class A to go, which requires a ~240k car when I'm at 17k, so I'll probably mostly do some online racing for now to get most of that credit. Luckily, I mixed in online races with the events so this will be the extent of the grinding I do and it's not like I'm disappointed that I have to do this. So if you're just getting this game and want to beat all of the events first before getting online, don't. Mix online races in one you get a nice ~300 HP car and you'll have a smoother finish to the events mode.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I want to see any cockpits, if any of you have built any.[/quote]

I have a feeling that cheapass cockpits won't be all that great. Mine is a wooden TV-tray turned sideways + my office chair. When I get a house next year, I plan on getting a PlaySeat or something similar, I just don't have space for it now.

It would be fun to put together something made from an actual car interior like some of the guys at gtplanet.net.

There's a floor rocker seat on clearance at Target for $10, combined with a couple of things around the house (coffee table, kids sofa) I got a nice little setup going.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']There's a floor rocker seat on clearance at Target for $10, combined with a couple of things around the house (coffee table, kids sofa) I got a nice little setup going.[/quote]

That sounds pretty nice. I've been really tempted lately to upgrade my DFP for a G25, but I know I'll have to come up with a better cockpit to accommodate the shifter and I'll end up spending way more than I can afford right now. ;)

i am soooooo tired of trying to play a ps3 game only to not be able to because of not enough hard drive space..

seriously.. this fucking sucks

[quote name='guyver2077']i am soooooo tired of trying to play a ps3 game only to not be able to because of not enough hard drive space..

seriously.. this fucking sucks[/QUOTE]

upgrade it, notebook harddrives are cheap, you can get a 120gb one on ebay for about $40 shipped.

hehe, my driving rig is a wooden chair. At least, that's what I used my PS2 GT4 wheel on.

Edit: my thoughts so far...it's pretty cool once you manage to DL the patch which takes several tries to actually go through. The driving is still GT, but the graphics are phenomenal from the cars (exterior and interior) to the tracks and environments. The interface is pretty slick and I like the GTTV idea and hope they keep up with it. Haven't played online yet, and with the lack of private rooms or effective matchmaking, I'm not sure I'm going to.

After watching the Behind the Scenes featurette, I don't think GT will ever get damage modeling. Oh wellz...

[quote name='richierich']upgrade it, notebook harddrives are cheap, you can get a 120gb one on ebay for about $40 shipped.[/quote]

I definitely have to soon.. but I wish they would give you the option of not having to install it...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/30/a-grand-update-for-gran-turismo-5-prologue/

On Friday, August 1st, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue owners will receive a significant update that’ll take their racing experience to a new level.

The heart of this update is a new line-up of exciting automotive programming for “Gran Turismo TV”, our in-game automotive media channel. Gearheads will enjoy a host of new free and pay-per-view programming, including our own exclusive behind-the-scenes content, episodes from “Top Gear“– UK’s premier car entertainment program, and Japan’s “Best Motoring” video magazine, dedicated to performance and pleasure of driving.

Whether you’re in the mood to tour Ferrari’s factory in Italy with Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi, be insulted hearing Jeremy Clarkson talk trash about your favorite cars, or just sit back and watch some mad Japanese race drivers play ‘car soccer’, there is a variety of choices for everybody out there.

For the first 2 weeks, we are providing all pay-per-view contents for a discount price of 99c. It’s a good way to get a taste Gran Turismo TV. The HD content we shoot for our exclusive stuff looks pretty amazing.

Be sure to check http://us.playstation.com/granturismo/granturismo_tv.asp often for a full program list, as we will be adding new programs on a regular basis.

Personally I feel the need to find some American content to beef-up the roster. What do you think? We welcome any suggestions you may have.

Other gameplay enhancements come with this update, like fixes in penalty judgments, improved physics during collisions between cars during online races, more tire choices for Time Trial, etc. YES, we’ve been carefully monitoring players behaviors online and comments on the forums.

Stay tuned for more updates on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, towards the end of this year.

Oh, very, very nice Polyphony! But this is all only rentals I'm guessing? I'd love to be able to own some episodes and have it for viewing whenever I want. Also, this can be viewed straight from the XMB, without ever having to put in the GT5 disc right?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's accessible only from the GT.TV part of the Prologue menu.[/quote]Eh, no big deal. Nice for people (gear heads particularly) to get their hands on this content here though. GT TV was probably one of the more exciting announcements I saw during this year's E3.

Anyone having a difficult time downloading the patch?

I spent a few hours tonight, on and off, trying to get it to download but had no luck.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...e-update-available-now-and-includes-new-cars/

Hello Blog Readers and GT Fans! I enthusiastically return to the blog with very good news. Hitting on our promise to continue to evolve the GT series, a new update for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is NOW available. This update adds three new vehicles to the game’s line-up, plus a number of gameplay and performance enhancements we think you’ll be excited about. Here we go…

New Vehicles
All three vehicles and manufacturers have special ties to Gran Turismo developer Polyphony Digital. They will be added to their respective Dealership areas in GT5 Prologue.

GT by Citreon - The “GT by Citroen” concept car is the result of a groundbreaking collaboration between French automaker Citroen and Polyphony Digital. The formal debut of the vehicle took place yesterday at the Paris Motor Show, coinciding with the release of today’s update to the game. A video of the “GT by Citroen” can be viewed in HD within Gran Turismo TV.

Check out the screenshots below and for photos, follow this link.

The two other new cars are the Ferrari California and the Lotus Evora. They are a lot of fun to drive. For a look at these sexy vehicles, check out the images below.

The GT by Citroen is available for 1 Million credits; the Ferrari California will go for 300,000 credits the Lotus Evora for 100,000. Piece of cake, right?!?

GamePlay Enhancements
We’ve also added some great new gameplay enhancements to continue to improve the racing experience in GT5 Prologue. This includes changes to the penalty system; specifically, during Time Trial events, speed penalties have been removed, and instead incurring such a penalty now invalidates the lap time for that particular lap. Race events are also being updated, with tweaked difficulty levels and increased earnings for winning a top spot. Additionally, improved responsiveness when using the wireless controller, and improved sound volume balance for sound effects and music for a better racing experience. Drift Trial races have also been changed to feature a rolling start.

Disclaimer Note Here: Rankings, arcade time trial times, drift trial records, as well as vehicle-specific quick tune settings and custom key layouts will all be reset with the new update. Replay data created before the second update will no longer be viewable after this update. To confirm the version you have before updating the game, check the in-game manual.

That’s it for now, folks. I’ll see you on the track….

[quote name='smiggity']Still no way to race with Friends online is a bummer...[/quote]

Really, is this still the case? What a sad state. My buddy just got a PS3 and wants to race me (I don't have GT5P) but I'll have to tell him he can't.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...e-a-gt5-prologue-challenge-from-tanner-foust/

Hey, PlayStation Blog readers. Some of you may know who I am. If you do, that’s great. If you don’t, let me introduce myself. My name is Tanner Foust, and I’m a professional drift, rally, and ice racer. You may have seen me in a recent Play the Pros video on PSN, where I took on some Gran Turismo fans at X Games 14 this past summer before competing in the Rally Super Special race.

You may have even seen me on ESPN2 or the Speed Channel, or seen my work as a stunt driver in the Bourne Ultimatum, Dukes of Hazzard, or The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Hot on the heels of my 2nd place finish at the Formula DRIFT Pro Championship finals earlier this month and clinching the 2008 Formula Drift Championship, I’m gearing up to represent the US against the best drifters in the world at Red Bull Drifting World Championships on November 15-16. I’ll be competing with 31 of the world’s best drifters from 12 countries, down at the docks at the Port of Long Beach in sunny California, hoping to take home the top prize.

And I want one of you to come cheer me on! This is a challenge to all you Gran Turismo fans, and here’s all you have to do!
I am challenging all of you to post your best lap time in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, in the online race event “Tanner Foust Racing Competition.” You’ll have to bring your best driving skills and push the Nissan Fairlady Z (Japanese version of the 350Z – my drifting car of choice) around the London city track faster than anyone else. With Professional driving physics of course. You have from now until midnight on November 2 to put your skills to the test.

Second and 3rd place winners will get a cool prize package, but the 1st place winner, along with a guest, will get to come cheer me on in Long Beach at the Red Bull Drifting World Championships from the VIP section. While you’re there, I’ll also see what you’re made of when I take you on head-to-head in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (I’ve been a huge fan of the series for a long time, and use it to train and to learn tracks), and take you for a spin on some practice drift laps around the course.

Here are the official rules.

So, what are you waiting for?! Fire up your copy of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! You’ve got 2 weeks to prove to everyone you’re the best racer in the US!

See you in Long Beach.

-Tanner F

Im pretty sure your progress will carry over to the full version, so that might be enough incentive for some. Personally I wish I never would have gotten rid of it. Kept my game save just in case.

bread's done
Back