Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1st

ended up seeing this yesterday.  Thought it was pretty good, though a bit below Avengers and Cap 2.  I'd say 8/10.  I think it tried a bit too hard with the comedy at times and Drax was under-developed but still pretty enjoyable overall.

I wonder if they regret forcing Edgar Wright off Ant-Man now considering this was pretty quirky and is going to make HUGE bank based on the Friday total. It amuses me people just watched a 2 hour movie with a brash, talking raccoon and a sentient tree with a limited vocabulary, but they're all like " fuck a talking duck, that's stupid."

Just wondering would the fans accepted the rock as Drax?
The Rock plays The Rock in all his movies.

Hercules, his latest movie, is the most obvious example.

Just google "The Rock's Accent in Hercules".

The whole movie takes place in Greece where everyone has this sort of old English Shakesperean accent... except The Rock, he sounds exactly like The Rock in WWE Smackdown. Even the character who plays his nephew in the movie talks in Shakespearean accent, but for some reason his uncle Hercules aka The Rock is basically talking jabroni's. Awful.

Dave Batista as Drax was perfect, I think he was my favorite Guardian in the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really like the acting of Karen Gillan at times.  Her acting has been better and at times I just hated how she was standing.  I have seen better acting from her so I guess I'm just a little disappointed.  Lee Pace I thought did a bad job of Ronan.  I really hated his acting most of the film.  I think Jason Momoa would have done a better job playing Drax.  I understand why he turned down the role, but I think Drax was a different character than Momoa thinks he is.  I didn't see a big guy that just smashed things and grunted.  Sure he is that, but he also had a large vocabulary and seemed well spoken.  I really think Momoa would have done a better job than Bautista.

Other than that I really liked the film.

10590429_756208341104822_6422907344093552241_n.jpg

ok weekend is over, and of course it made a shit load of money.

At the imax 3d early preview some people were wearing dc/marvel tshirts.  One guy was in his own nova suit.  no one else dressed up.

Anyways with the weekend over, talk openly about the movie without spoiler tags.

oh yeah for a good laugh..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136597-Theater-Shows-Wrong-Film-Repeatedly-to-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Fans

how can you fuck that up?

Am I missing something by not sitting dead center or in the center sections of the theater (any theater to be exact) ?  What I am saying is with the audio, yes you can hear dialog and explosions fine but I am not hearing like the surround effects.  Are theaters turning this shit off during the main movie but keeping this on during the previews as I can hear them just well during the previews.

Anyways I am planning on seeing it again this week.

Why is it that the specialty glasses seem to look like they're a better fit than the ones that are given out to every movie.  I really like wrap around glasses yet the only ones I see are the collector ones for the movies that are sold on eBay.  I really couldn't care less about having some special movie tie in glasses.  However at 10 bucks each I'm tempted to buy them to use for future 3D movies.

Why is it that the specialty glasses seem to look like they're a better fit than the ones that are given out to every movie. I really like wrap around glasses yet the only ones I see are the collector ones for the movies that are sold on eBay. I really couldn't care less about having some special movie tie in glasses. However at 10 bucks each I'm tempted to buy them to use for future 3D movies.
They mostly do seem to fit better on me, except the Hulk glasses from the Avengers set. Those didn't set right for me. I wouldn't buy the Guardians set for that purpose though. There is a theater that is selling The Winter Solider special glasses for like $28 shipped and that gets you 4. Cheaper cost for the number you get. Got a set of those from them as well as a Thor 2 set from a guy on eBay. I'm such a whore.

In other merchandising talk, I'll be really surprised if Marvel doesn't release some sort of
dancing baby Groot
by the end of August or early September. The number of people that want that is ridiculous.

Looks like that same site has some from Spider-man 2 for 10 bucks.  You only get 3, but for the price it seems like a deal.  Like I said I couldn't care less about the movie tie in glasses.  I'll order the ones you have linked if I can't find some normal ones cheaper.  

As for your spoiler, I feel the same as you do.  They would be stupid not to.  However till then we have this
https://www.etsy.com/listing/198620623/figure-inspired-by-baby-groot-in-plant.  It doesn't dance, but is hand made and should hold anyone over if they don't mind it just sitting there.

Maybe  i don't get it but I didn't have fun with this movie. I felt like everyone was screaming the entire time and the jokes were so very flat. 

For those of you who happen to dig the soundtrack (which is super amazing, in case you've been sleeping under a rock), I've decided to go ahead and not only craft a Vol. 2, but sketched in a preliminary plot outline for the sequel. If you have a spare moment, please take a second to read (and listen to) what I've concocted over here:

Mixtape Monday – August 11, 2014 “GOTG Awesome Mix Vol. 2″

Our blog is full of random posts about all manner of geeky stuff: comics, Godzilla, video games, movies etc etc. Visit if time allows! Thanks!

Saw it last night. I really loved this movie. Unlike most comic book films, I was not familiar with the characters before the film was announced. It was definitely a different feel from most Marvel movies, as expected, and that's good even though I love most of their other movies. The 3D conversion was great.

Marvel is gonna regret it's split with Wright when Ant-Man flops and could have been something different and great like this.

Saw this movie again for a third time great movie still.

Santikos movies blow I saw TMNT and galaxies at two different santiko's owned theaters and  their 3D movies were so fucking dark it was like I was wearing sun glasses watching the movies.

Finally saw this and it defiantly lived up to the hype. Good to see it's back on top kicking Bay Turtles down a notch. It's gives me faith in the movie going audience. Good movie is good.

I just want to pause the scene in the Collector's room frame by frame. There's probably a dozen Easter eggs in that one scene alone. I did spot a couple. Even the infamous character in the after credits stinger. ohhhh

Also Thanos looked fucking amazing. I'm so glad they didn't do the Hollywood thing and change the way the characters looked. It was very loyal to the source. Bravo

bread's done
Back