Halo 4 out November 6th!!

[quote name='aerotive']Anyone else get problems with voiceovers? In both campaign and spartan ops they often play overlapped, on top of each other. It's especially noticeable/bad at the beginning of missions. I've tried deleting everything & reinstalling but that didn't help.

No problems of this sort with other games...[/QUOTE]

That happened to me twice in the campaign, with Cortana's guiding voiceover ("Chief, we have to hurry up and...") overlapping the story voiceovers.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Started playing the campaign. Doesn't seem to hard on Legendary yet. I went from start to I'm guessing more than half way through mission 5 in one sitting.

I know most people to don't play Halo for its story, but I really have no idea what is going on. Why are the Covenant fighting us again , who is the guy in the ball, and why do Cortana and Chief already seem to know who/what he is? Also wasn't the whole rampancy thing already done in 3 with Cortana and the Flood Overmind guy?

I'm hoping/guessing I will get some insight into this over the next 3 missions.

Also, I just happened to check my old Halo 3 and Halo Reach stats and a found a very very very funny coincidence.
Halo 3 kills = 4472
Halo Reach kills = 4472

I have to assume this isn't a mistake since the K/D ratio listed next to it is different for both games.
Sadly my Halo 2 kills are listed as like 30 since I only played it briefly on my 360 with my new gamertag right when 3 came out.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that

The guys in the beginning are remnants of the remaining hostile Covenant forces.

The guy in the ball is Didact, a Forerunner. The Forerunners were an ancient species that built the Halos. The had a conflict with humans ages ago, and devolved the human race seeing it as a threat to the entire Galaxy. The Forerunners believed that they had the Mantle of responsibility for keeping peace in the galaxy. What they didn't realize is that the Humans weren't trying to be aggressive in their conquest of the galaxy, the ancient space faring humans were fleeing The Flood. The Forerunners had to choose when they were faced with the Flood, and the decision was made to activate the Halos and leave Humans as the race to eventually take up the Mantle. Not all Forerunners agreed with that plan, like Didact, who was exiled. There's a link to the Youtube video of the Terminal videos that explain in better detail who the Didact was, along with the Librarian.

Master Cheif and Cortana were tricked into releasing the Didact, who attacked them. He still believes humans are a threat to the galaxy and does not want them from assuming the Mantle, and says so. The computer generated Librarian makes a quick attempt at filling Master Cheif and Cortana in about what Didact has planned with the Composer, a device that takes organic matter and stores it digitally, except it is unable to reproduce the matter recorded correctly, turning those digitized into creatures(promethean knights). Didact plans on using the Composer as a weapon.

As for Rampancy, an AI has a lifespan of 7 years in the Halo universe before it suffers Rampancy. The Gravemind inflicted a slight Rampancy on Cortana in Halo 3. That was resolved, however she's now 8 years old, and breaking down.

They don't do a good job really explaining the background details aside from giving the player the general idea of the threat and a way to unlock further information if the player wants it, hidden in terminals scatters throughout the game. I don't like how it was hidden, but the main story in Halo 4 is about Master Chief and the relationship with Cortana. Master Chief essentially fails at the first thing he promises to do in the game, which is to get Cortana back to Earth and save her. He loses his only friend and companion. The game also questions for the first time who Master Chief is under the armor, if he's just a faceless killing machine or if there's some humanity still left in him. In the last scene, figuratively and literally, his armor comes off just as the game ends.

I don't think they balanced what was going on with Didact well with their focus on Master Chief and Cortana. It felt like they're telling two stories, while also trying to keep it from bogging down the campaign, and it's kinda messy. Still it brings up a lot of questions, which is what the first part of a trilogy should do, and hopefully 343 has answers planned.

Basically all you need to know about the backstory is that Halo is a pretty cool guy who kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Basically all you need to know about the backstory is that Halo is a pretty cool guy who kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.[/QUOTE]

Wait :lol: there's a guy named Halo?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']You shouldn't have walked over that spot when the ordinance dropped.[/QUOTE]

It was a random weapon respawn in a CTF game, not a called in ordinance drop.

[quote name='Arikado']It was a random weapon respawn in a CTF game, not a called in ordinance drop.[/QUOTE]

I know - I was stating the obvious in an attempt at humor.

[quote name='Arikado']Killed by a weapon respawn for my only death in a 20-1 game.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't aware those could actually kill or injure. I wonder if you could use a well timed ordnance to destroy or damage an enemy vehicle.

If people are looking for assistance in Heroic or Legendary Campaign I'd probably be able to help. You might even be able to get a few of those chapter specific achievements.

[quote name='whiptcracker']My understanding is that

The guys in the beginning are remnants of the remaining hostile Covenant forces.
[/QUOTE]

That's what Master Chief & Cortana believe at the beginning of the game. I thought it was revealed later that
the Didact was in fact controlling them.

All in all, I'm really enjoying War Games. My two biggest gripes are:
1) Drop-In/Drop-Out MP. This is the complete opposite of everything Halo matchmaking has been about. There is no penalty for quitting, and it often results in lopsided starts. It can be frustrating to join a match & not know what weapons/points the enemy team controls. Or you have someone go negative, quit, then have another person join that goes negative. This helps absolutely nothing.
2) Instant respawns. The timer needs to come back. Being able to die & respawn instantly to clean up your kills is silly.

[quote name='hustletron']Geeze, surprised at the amount of bullshit arguing in the last 5 pages, anyway, maybe I've been playing too much lately? I don't know, but there really aren't enough maps. It's depressing having to play the same map over and over match after match because it comes up in rotation over and over and people keep picking it.[/QUOTE]
It's kind of silly when a map comes up in rotation twice in a row & gets voted both times. I'm not sure why they aren't incorporating 343-made forge maps. This map was shot pre-release and I haven't seen it in MM at all. They should throw it in, because it looks really fun to play. Kind of like a cross between Wizard/Warlock & Zealot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7uv1CyT7M&feature=plcp

[quote name='Arikado']Regicide fucking sucks. Where's the standard free for all playlist?[/QUOTE]
It's fun sometimes, but it absolutely shouldn't have replaced standard FFA. I hate that you can have the most kills in a match but lose Regicide to someone who goes negative. Also some of these regicide challenges are stupid. I'm finding it difficult to get multiple regicides if I'm consistently towards the top of the scoreboard.

[quote name='hustletron']Geeze, surprised at the amount of bullshit arguing in the last 5 pages, anyway, maybe I've been playing too much lately? I don't know, but there really aren't enough maps. It's depressing having to play the same map over and over match after match because it comes up in rotation over and over and people keep picking it.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they add in the forged maps soon.

I agree that Regicide blows. I do like Dominion though. It's a good mix between Invasion and Territories. Wasn't a big fan of either game type prior, but Dominion works for me. It helps that the maps are pretty fun.

And yeah, the number of maps is abysmal. What are there, 4 maybe 5 in Slayer? That's pathetic. I've warmed warmed up to them though. I hated them all at first, now I don't think there's a single one I hate.

[quote name='MtlTom']It's fun sometimes, but it absolutely shouldn't have replaced standard FFA. I hate that you can have the most kills in a match but lose Regicide to someone who goes negative. Also some of these regicide challenges are stupid. I'm finding it difficult to get multiple regicides if I'm consistently towards the top of the scoreboard.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this happened in almost every single Regicide game I played last night. There was even one game where a guy went 19-30 and won. Seriously? Who thought that was a good idea?

[quote name='Arikado']Regicide fucking sucks. Where's the standard free for all playlist?[/QUOTE]

I think its good in theory but it absolutely shouldnt have replaced standard FFA. I like the MP but the game definitely needs more modes/maps.

So how are you guys doing for the 140 hours to get 600 as a reward going? I need another 138 hours and those 600 points are mine!

[quote name='Corvin']That's what Master Chief & Cortana believe at the beginning of the game. I thought it was revealed later that
the Didact was in fact controlling them.
[/QUOTE]

Minor Minor spoilers....

They are called the storm covenant. Basically they are the remnants of the covenant. They are the few that still believe that the Great Journey is achieved through lighting the halo rings. Therefore, they believe that the Forerunners are their gods since the Forerunners built the Halo rings. Hence the reason that they help the Didact. He is a god to them

[quote name='GUNNM']So how are you guys doing for the 140 hours to get 600 as a reward going? I need another 138 hours and those 600 points are mine![/QUOTE]

lol, I might make the 35 hours for 100 points but even that is doubtful at this point. Too little time thanks to work and family situations.

[quote name='GUNNM']So how are you guys doing for the 140 hours to get 600 as a reward going? I need another 138 hours and those 600 points are mine![/QUOTE]
How can you tell? And did they ever specify if Spartan Ops counts?

Big Team Infinity seems to get sloppier each night I play. Yesterday opponents just 'appeared' at points on Ragnarok. They weren't on radar, nor were they invisible or respawning, but as I was gunning on the Warthog they would just 'show up.' It almost felt like the way games get with draw distance issues, like when you use 4 player split-screen and objects and scenery just pop in. Even my random driver was wondering why enemies were just ghosting behind or near us.

Same thing would happen with Ghosts or Banshees. They would be in one spot, then teleport by you. Then you'd die, splatterred somehow. This happened in a few matches, since only Ragnarok or Exile seem to ever get voted for in Big Team.

Damn it. I want to enjoy Halo 4's multiplayer, but the more I play it, the more I despise it.

I just wrapped up a night of matchmaking with a couple friends, and it sucked. It seemed like we lost nearly every game we played - regardless of the game type. But what's worse is that it felt like, in nearly every match we lost, we never even had a chance.

I know a lot of people are having fun with the game and appreciate the changes that 343 made. I think that it's awesome that people are enjoying the game, but damn do I miss the old fashioned halo multiplayer (same starting weapons & static power weapons scattered across the map). And damn do I miss big team battle games that aren't packed with power weapons and vehicles.

Oh well...

[quote name='The Ebbtide']How can you tell? And did they ever specify if Spartan Ops counts?
[/QUOTE]
Dunno if spartan ops counts but on halo waypoint it'll tell you how many hours you've logged on MP.

New to the thread (and to X-Box Live), so sorry if this has already been covered - why are the other players in all of my parties on mute automatically? How do I unmute people? The unmute option is locked for people. Is there a parental control setting that I'm missing?

Is the kill cam in MP for real? The majority of the time I see it, my opponent is looks like an inept retard and isn't hitting me at all. The replay is either completely broken or 343 is trolling hard.

[quote name='Swift900']Damn it. I want to enjoy Halo 4's multiplayer, but the more I play it, the more I despise it.

I just wrapped up a night of matchmaking with a couple friends, and it sucked. It seemed like we lost nearly every game we played - regardless of the game type. But what's worse is that it felt like, in nearly every match we lost, we never even had a chance.

I know a lot of people are having fun with the game and appreciate the changes that 343 made. I think that it's awesome that people are enjoying the game, but damn do I miss the old fashioned halo multiplayer (same starting weapons & static power weapons scattered across the map). And damn do I miss big team battle games that aren't packed with power weapons and vehicles.

Oh well...[/QUOTE]
Makes me appreciate Halo 3 a lot more.

for those who have beaten the campaign...

Anybody think Cortana could come back in Halo 5 or will she be considered truly dead by the franchise?

[quote name='GamerDude316']for those who have beaten the campaign...

Anybody think Cortana could come back in Halo 5 or will she be considered truly dead by the franchise?
[/QUOTE]

She'll be back.

[quote name='Dendaman']Is the kill cam in MP for real? The majority of the time I see it, my opponent is looks like an inept retard and isn't hitting me at all. The replay is either completely broken or 343 is trolling hard.[/QUOTE]

It's broken 90% of the time

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
She'll be back.
[/QUOTE]

She'll definitely return. Maybe in actual form in kind of like ghost in Chief's head if you understand.

[quote name='saunderscowie']
She'll definitely return. Maybe in actual form in kind of like ghost in Chief's head if you understand.
[/QUOTE]

My guess is they'll figure out a way to use the tech that turned the human data into Prometheans to convert Cortana's data into a physical human.

Had a free game rental from Redbox so I rented Halo 4. Only about 2 hours in MP and played some campaign with my wife. When I was returning it last night I stopped and bought it. Been a while since I played any Halo as I just came back to the 360 last month. Last I played was ODST and never finished the campaign. Really diggin this one so far.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I feel the same way, miss the Halo 3 and Reach days.[/QUOTE]

So is the community dead for those I guess? I never played either one MP but have been enjoying the MP in 4 for some reason. I was thinking about going back and playing those since I still have them.

[quote name='GamerDude316']for those who have beaten the campaign...

[/QUOTE]

My theory stems a lot from where she asks Chief to figure out which one of them is a machine.

There were so many subtle hints through their dialogue back and forth that has me intrigued. Like her comment about knowing everything about the sun but never going to be able to feel it. The talk about how she was replicated from a human (Halsey).

Plus to me the ending where they say "goodbye" felt very anti-climactic in the sense that if she was really gone for good, they would have done more than that. The bond that the two of them have throughout the series can't just end like it did.

She will be back and I agree that I think they will find a way to make her human.

[quote name='chriscolbert']So is the community dead for those I guess? I never played either one MP but have been enjoying the MP in 4 for some reason. I was thinking about going back and playing those since I still have them.[/QUOTE]

3 is shut down or getting shut down soon. People overall hated Reach compared to 1, 2, 3 and 4. It still has a community but it's going to dwindle fast.

[quote name='chriscolbert']So is the community dead for those I guess? I never played either one MP but have been enjoying the MP in 4 for some reason. I was thinking about going back and playing those since I still have them.[/QUOTE]
I played Halo 3 online a few months ago and it did take me almost 5 minutes to find a game. But I was also playing in the Action Sack playlist to play some Grifball, so that might be why it wasn't as populated. I'd assume if you were playing in Lone Wolves or Big Team Battle you'd find games faster.

Halo: Reach still has a decent sized community, and I think it still has the Anniversary playlist active, they just (foolishly) removed some of the playlists in it. Don't bother buying the Defiant Map Pack, though. I rarely remember ever getting matches on those maps, especially when they pulled the Squad DLC Playlist.

But like any game where it's 'old' and the people who are still playing it take it very seriously, be prepared to play with jackasses. Social Playlists in Halo 3 might not be as bad as Ranked Playlists in this case, but if you have friends to play with you'd be better off playing in a party.

[quote name='slickkill77']3 is shut down or getting shut down soon. People overall hated Reach compared to 1, 2, 3 and 4. It still has a community but it's going to dwindle fast.[/QUOTE]
Do you have sources for that?

[quote name='Soodmeg']I will say this though, I played a map that looked like that old RvB map of halo 1(??) maybe...with 2 bases on opposite sides and the grav lifts that shoot you into the middle. For fucks sake stop making the same maps over and over.[/QUOTE]
I think you're talking about Ragnarok, which is Valhalla from Halo 3. It was a fun map in Big Team Battle, but it doesn't work well now with the DMR in this game. People tend to vote for it because of the Mantises.

I must suck using the mantis I just die when I use it but using the banshee is hit and miss I sometimes get kills when it looks like I've missed with the plasma bomb and direct hits don't kill. On exile if you're playing against a shit team using the banshee is easy kills. Today is the most I've played MP I'm really digging it I might buy the season pass.

[quote name='GUNNM']I must suck using the mantis I just die when I use it but using the banshee is hit and miss I sometimes get kills when it looks like I've missed with the plasma bomb and direct hits don't kill. On exile if you're playing against a shit team using the banshee is easy kills. Today is the most I've played MP I'm really digging it I might buy the season pass.[/QUOTE]
The Mantis only works really well if you hold the middle area and have a competent team protecting you. If they do that, you should be able to equally protect them and not have to worry about being killed. I know that sounds obvious, but I've seen idiots just rush the enemy base, which is so stupid. Just hold the middle ground and force the enemy to come to you.

Same strategy applies to the Scorpion on Exile. Your teammates should be protecting that vehicle, not running around like idiots, easily getting picked off. If you prevent the enemy from destroying it, the driver of a Scorpion or Mantis should easily be carrying your team to victory in Slayer matches.

Headsets also help greatly here. I always warn a Scorpion or Mantis driver when I see people heading towards them with plasma pistols or power weapons, as I want that vehicle to last. And if the enemy is ganging up on a vehicle, it's clearly destroying them with great frustration, so it's doing the job well.

I do that with the scorpion I never get it but always follow it as if I'm secret service protecting the presidential car. Not many people use headsets when I play I don't see that mic icon on.

Yeah, no one seems to use headsets. But I find when I say something people click them on, occasionally. Usually I'm encouraging or telling where someone is, with only the rare yelling for sucking. If someone is going 2-1-19, it might help if they stayed the fuck back and stopped getting shot up by the other team, who is clearly working together and destroying them.

The other day I had a gunner in my Scorpion and a guy behind it calling out targets both in view and on the radar. I managed to get 33 kills and 5 assists, with only 2 deaths because of that. By the time they finally destroyed the Scorpion we easily had 200-300 more points than they did, so victory was practically inevitable. If they hadn't have been protecting me, who knows how brief my ride could have been.

That same night I managed to get a Perfection on Exile using the same strategy. I think all of my Perfections so far have been with either a Mantis or a Scorpion. If teammates protect me, they can be very sure that I'll protect them. I just never understand why people don't stay together more in team games. More fire power, better odds, and at the very least you should get some assists, which actually matter now in modern games for XP. But instead most fools rush in, and then scream at their teammates when they die or their vehicle gets destroyed.

And Warthog drivers have to learn to stop driving at enemies and more around or by them. Going head on at a Mantis will get you and your gunner killed. Keeping distance and circling it will help keep it's shots off of you both.Why is it so hard for people to get that?

I wish halo had that point and high system like GOW 3 had it'd make people without mics much more easier to communicate with.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']
My theory stems a lot from where she asks Chief to figure out which one of them is a machine.

There were so many subtle hints through their dialogue back and forth that has me intrigued. Like her comment about knowing everything about the sun but never going to be able to feel it. The talk about how she was replicated from a human (Halsey).

Plus to me the ending where they say "goodbye" felt very anti-climactic in the sense that if she was really gone for good, they would have done more than that. The bond that the two of them have throughout the series can't just end like it did.

She will be back and I agree that I think they will find a way to make her human.
[/QUOTE]
I think it's more likely that she'll be resurrected with Forerunner tech and remain a non-corporeal AI. Both the Didact and the Librarian know about her, and she's all over their systems on Requiem.

bread's done
Back