Halo 4 out November 6th!!

[quote name='Soodmeg']Still having a decent time with Spartan Ops although I am annoyed that I can not go back and play the first episode. Makes no fucking sense at all....each map is only like 9 min. Did they bank on people replaying the same episode 100 times before the next one comes out? Maybe they will open them all up after it is completed.

Ok, I understand that this is halo and they have the right to be like..screw you, you should have been playing halo all this time but....can you please explain what half of this game modes are? Why even have a description when the description is just the title of the mode. "Flood" Is "10 player Flood," o rely? "Oddball is 5v5 Oddball." fuck all 343 Thank you all my questions are now answered. What is the difference between Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro?

And I am only bitching about this because it fits into the overall theme of Halo 4 and 343's banking far too hard on inheriting a mega franchise and not doing their due diligence in creating their own world. For a game that is suppose to be the first of a trilogy it falls completely flat. I am still liking the multiplayer but I can tell I will be bored of it in a week because all of the modes are completely run of the mill. The only new one I see is Flood mode which isnt really that good plus the flood were not even in this game, what are you doing 343.

The game is just too damn safe....it has a 87 on metacritic making it apparently just this side of greatest of all time...but I just dont see anything that makes it any better than a slew of other games that were made for 80 million less.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would've been nice if they had at least included a manual. As far as the descriptions, my best suggestion is to look at the game descriptions in the custom game area, there is a better brief description of each game there.

If you get tired of the modes in a week, no worries, they're mixing up the playlists weekly. Team Snipers is this weeks mode, which will be rotated out next week.

As for the hyperbole, yeesh dude. You're letting Metacritic bother you too much. That's the same average score Puzzle Quest got, so the scores seem to agree with you that it's not any better than a game made for 80 million less :) Hell, Fez has a better average score and was made on what was likely the catering budget of Halo 4. As a fan of the series I think they've done a great job (aside from the Forerunner Spartan Ops missions, bleh).

[quote name='whiptcracker']Yeah, it would've been nice if they had at least included a manual. As far as the descriptions, my best suggestion is to look at the game descriptions in the custom game area, there is a better brief description of each game there.

If you get tired of the modes in a week, no worries, they're mixing up the playlists weekly. Team Snipers is this weeks mode, which will be rotated out next week.

As for the hyperbole, yeesh dude. You're letting Metacritic bother you too much. That's the same average score Puzzle Quest got, so the scores seem to agree with you that it's not any better than a game made for 80 million less :) Hell, Fez has a better average score and was made on what was likely the catering budget of Halo 4. As a fan of the series I think they've done a great job (aside from the Forerunner Spartan Ops missions, bleh).[/QUOTE]

No no no, I am not a metacrtic guy, I actually hate scores and reviews. I loathe the whole set up of scoring with gaming. I was trying to make a different point, one that means that all of these scores are worthless when taken out of the vacuum reviewers live in.

There are bits and pieces of the game that I really like but mostly the game just confuses me.

Thanks for the tip on descriptions at this point I just looked them all up online.

Oh yeah, I meant play the first episode in a public match...I cant find a way to do that. Apparently you can only play the current episode in a public match.

Gonna start playing so I can get my Amex credits! about how long does solo legendary take? haven't beaten any of the halo campaigns on legendary but if I watch one of those youtube guides I should be fine ;)

also how is the mp and more importantly the connection (my setup is "meh")?

MW3 connection was terrible when I tried last year and haven't played since maybe Feb. MW2 was also pretty bad for me as well. Gears 3 is ok for me most of the time. Reach Beta was fine as well.

[quote name='Soodmeg']No no no, I am not a metacrtic guy, I actually hate scores and reviews. I loathe the whole set up of scoring with gaming. I was trying to make a different point, one that means that all of these scores are worthless when taken out of the vacuum reviewers live in.

There are bits and pieces of the game that I really like but mostly the game just confuses me.

Thanks for the tip on descriptions at this point I just looked them all up online.

Oh yeah, I meant play the first episode in a public match...I cant find a way to do that. Apparently you can only play the current episode in a public match.[/QUOTE]

Huh, yeah that seems shortsighted. I hope they'll find a different way to match folks up online for the earlier stuff. Personally I play with my wife co-op and I'm annoyed she needs a gold account to play Spartan Ops, even local co-op. That's BS. We still play it with her as a guest, but it's a strange decision. I'm with you on the maps, I like Haven and Ragnarok, but goddamn. But them up for voting less or at least don't let them come up twice in a row.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']

also how is the mp and more importantly the connection (my setup is "meh")?

MW3 connection was terrible when I tried last year and haven't played since maybe Feb. MW2 was also pretty bad for me as well. Gears 3 is ok for me most of the time. Reach Beta was fine as well.[/QUOTE]
I have decent internet 9 dl, 0.5 ul and I run into no lag unless I leave my utorrent open. Sometimes my bar is yellow and will run into no problems

[quote name='GUNNM']I have decent internet 9 dl, 0.5 ul and I run into no lag unless I leave my utorrent open. Sometimes my bar is yellow and will run into no problems[/QUOTE]

well my internet is dsl but the router is in the basement and my console is two stores above (not directly). I have a slim but no wireless N so need to use the og wireless adapter. sometimes I have stuff running on my laptop as well but don't see a difference while playing - even had torrents on at times too.

[quote name='GUNNM']I wish halo had that point and high system like GOW 3 had it'd make people without mics much more easier to communicate with.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think every game should have this... Especially, the futuristic/sci-phi ones where the sharing of targeting data would seem like the norm anyhow.

As for the MP... I'm likely not the one to ask but I do like it. I've not spent much time in it but it feels like they innovated without losing Halo in the process. (Granted, I will freely admit that I'm not the biggest true Halo MP fan... My favorite playlist in Reach was SWAT and I liked Reach more than I liked Halo 3.)

That said in SWAT... I'm not convinced that the battle rifle should be included as it really removed much of the precision needed for the mode. (It seems to go from “Close but no cigar” to “Horseshoes and Hand grenades” and whatnot.)

I do got a question... I'm sorry if its been asked before but I didn't see it asked or answered in the couple of pages I did read. (I will freely admit I didn't read all 750+ posts either.)

Anyhow, I'm looking at finely getting around to redeeming my preorder DLC (or doing something else with it) but I thought I read in a thread somewhere on this forum that allot of it was unlockable just by leveling up in MP. Is that true? (If so does anyone have a list of what is unlockable?)

[quote name='GUNNM']I wish halo had that point and high system like GOW 3 had it'd make people without mics much more easier to communicate with.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know after playing GoW3 and Battlefield 3 spotting enemies was so rudimentary common place to me that I was just pushing in the analog stick playing Halo 4 and then going ohh yeah right that doesn't do anything.

Hey Spartan Ops has choosable Episodes now, finally! I was pretty sure you couldn't pick previous episodes before but I may be wrong. I was like wait wait I didn't finish Episode 1 yet, finally did last night with a buddy. :)

It's hilarious when people have the Mantis and you just get close and climb on their back. I had the Mantis and 3 players of the opposing team tried this and I respectively pounded the ground every time and killed em all. Unfortunately I was taking range fire from players and vehicles that my Mantis eventually blew up but I had a huge smile on my face and an ordinance ready. :bouncy:

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']
Anyhow, I'm looking at finely getting around to redeeming my preorder DLC (or doing something else with it) but I thought I read in a thread somewhere on this forum that allot of it was unlockable just by leveling up in MP. Is that true? (If so does anyone have a list of what is unlockable?)[/QUOTE]

The armor skins are probably what is unlockable and maybe the avatar junk. If it was a store exclusive I doubt it's unlockable, at least yet.

In normal progression you can unlock the same armor pieces, but not with the same skin. So for instance with the Pulse skin that was the Microsoft Store bonus, you can unlock the Gungnir armor pieces within the game, but they won't have the circle design on them.

feature_img3.jpg

I'm on like the 4th or 5th mission playing solo on legendary and it's just absolutely outrageous the amount and difficulty of the enemies they throw at you. It's the mission you start out in the jungle and you have to make your way to the Infinity, I'm at the point I'm coming out of a rock corridor and Cortana's all "Omg Forerunners working with Covenant no wai".

There's a fuckton of enemies including knights already there, then another phantom comes in and drops more enemies and more knights? Are you fucking kidding me? I won't even get started on the lack of ammo or the fact that after a certain amount of time being in the area, the dead enemies weapons disappear.

I fucking hate this single player game so much. I don't care about the story and I don't care about Cortana, I've just been trying to get through the campaign but its near impossible because of the previously mentioned issues. TL;DR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEE

I know what Legendary is supposed to be like in the Halo universe and from previous games and this is just bullshit to the max. Apparently the Knights have like 3 shields a piece? And that's not even counting the commanders with the perfect aim and their incinerators, then some of them spawn watchers, GREAT, the watchers take a magazine of DMR at minimum to kill, at the point I'm at there is a Railgun, that doesn't kill shit, 3 shots later the knights are still teleporting to me and raping me.

I'm glad they put in team snipers and SWAT for MP though, allows people like me to practice sniping and the BR feels like it has an advantage in SWAT in most close to mid fights, where the DMR shines at longer ranges.

[quote name='hustletron']I'm on like the 4th or 5th mission playing solo on legendary and it's just absolutely outrageous the amount and difficulty of the enemies they throw at you. It's the mission you start out in the jungle and you have to make your way to the Infinity, I'm at the point I'm coming out of a rock corridor and Cortana's all "Omg Forerunners working with Covenant no wai".

There's a fuckton of enemies including knights already there, then another phantom comes in and drops more enemies and more knights? Are you fucking kidding me? I won't even get started on the lack of ammo or the fact that after a certain amount of time being in the area, the dead enemies weapons disappear.

I fucking hate this single player game so much. I don't care about the story and I don't care about Cortana, I've just been trying to get through the campaign but its near impossible because of the previously mentioned issues. TL;DR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEE

I know what Legendary is supposed to be like in the Halo universe and from previous games and this is just bullshit to the max. Apparently the Knights have like 3 shields a piece? And that's not even counting the commanders with the perfect aim and their incinerators, then some of them spawn watchers, GREAT, the watchers take a magazine of DMR at minimum to kill, at the point I'm at there is a Railgun, that doesn't kill shit, 3 shots later the knights are still teleporting to me and raping me.

I'm glad they put in team snipers and SWAT for MP though, allows people like me to practice sniping and the BR feels like it has an advantage in SWAT in most close to mid fights, where the DMR shines at longer ranges.[/QUOTE]

I did this mission on Heroic and was so glad when it was over....that mission is by far my least favorite in Halo 4. Not as bad as The Library or Sacred Icon, but pretty freaking close.

Yeah legendary on HALO 4 is annoying and not fun. Evey enemy just eats your bullets and good luck finding ammo for UNSC guns after chapter 2. Btw on the final chapter you can skip a shit load of enemies because 343 forgot to close off an area you aren't supposed to access until the end

[quote name='hustletron']I'm on like the 4th or 5th mission playing solo on legendary and it's just absolutely outrageous the amount and difficulty of the enemies they throw at you. It's the mission you start out in the jungle and you have to make your way to the Infinity, I'm at the point I'm coming out of a rock corridor and Cortana's all "Omg Forerunners working with Covenant no wai".

I'm glad they put in team snipers and SWAT for MP though, allows people like me to practice sniping and the BR feels like it has an advantage in SWAT in most close to mid fights, where the DMR shines at longer ranges.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that was the hardest mission of the game IMO. After that it didn't seem that bad. I just found out today a nice combo for the nights is Plasma Pistol + BR. Never even thought to try it against them until I started Spartan Ops... derp.

[/QUOTE]
I actually just finished that part tonight Solo Legendary. I had saved after the part right before that where Cortana had to open the door (that part took me foreeeeeeever).

Here's what I did:
Clear out as many of the Covenant as possible until the second ship drops. Stock up on railgun ammo (most of the crates have railguns near them). Run back to the corridor you came from originally (to the door Cortana just opened). You should get a checkpoint.

Then run back over to the area but go to the pathway to the right. The Knights should teleport up to that area away from all the Covenant. From there you can take them out pretty easily with the railgun since they are close. If you have the autosentry, that also helps draw some of their fire while you charge the railgun. They will drop lightrifles or scattershots. Use the lightrifle to take out the remaining Covenant from afar.

Finished Legendary on Sunday. Finished it in two sittings so I'm kind of happy it is done but I do wish there was more. Honestly I didn't find the Legendary that hard. Maybe I'm spoiled after playing through the Call of Dooties with all the grenade spamming. First level I had to fight the Knights was kind of a pain but by the end I didn't find them too bad. That last level had a few tough parts where you had to go through parts with like 8 Knights at once but as long as I took my time I could take them out one or two at a time.

After watching the Terminal videos online I wonder if they are setting up a return of the Flood since they seem to still play a big role in the story even though they are "gone" Storyline does make more sense with the videos since I really didn't know what was going on before I youtube'd it.

I do feel like the Covenant was wasted a bit on this. I had to like up on the Halopedia who these guys were and why they were there, but even with that I feel like I just didn't really care about them. Even the 6 hunters in the game didn't feel at all exciting (especially since they loaded you up with grenades, fuel rod cannons, and sticky detonators immediately before you fight them)

The MP is good so far, but I'm not quite loving the weapon system. I feel this way leads to a lot more camping then the old games. Like most of the games I played recently on complex have been a team camping that main room and just getting more and more power weapons refusing to come out. Good way to win the game but boring. As long as they stay away from the windows there is no wait to DMR or battle rifle them and they can just keep getting SAWs, incinerators, snipers, etc.

The old game the weapon spawns were spread out so you couldn't just camp one spot. If you were camping shot gun somebody else would get sniper or rocket. Also the amount of power weapons people now get make it so automobiles are much much much less a factor then the old game. Very rarely on Blood Gulch will you survive before you are lasered, incinerated, etc.

I don't mind the different armor abilities though.

MP is good, but I don't think I will like it as much as previous Halo's. I don't see myself hopping on the Gaus Cannon Wart Hog and tooling around the map raising havoc much.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']In normal progression you can unlock the same armor pieces, but not with the same skin. So for instance with the Pulse skin that was the Microsoft Store bonus, you can unlock the Gungnir armor pieces within the game, but they won't have the circle design on them.[/QUOTE]

And the pulse design only works on that armor set, correct? (and you likely cannot swap out any piece for something from another set? All or nothing, right?)

What about the helmets? The Deadeye and/or the Locust? Can they be unlocked within the game or are they truly unique? (Guessing without their armor patten?)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']And the pulse design only works on that armor set, correct? (and you likely cannot swap out any piece for something from another set? All or nothing, right?)[/QUOTE]
The design only goes on the one armor set, but you can mix and match the pieces with pieces from other sets.

[quote name='dafoomie']

Legendary is insane solo but very easy on co-op.[/QUOTE]

Defiantly would not solo this on Legendary but 343 tied one achievement to beating it on Legendary solo and this is one game I can see myself 100% one I get past that.

[quote name='MtlTom']I actually just finished that part tonight Solo Legendary. I had saved after the part right before that where Cortana had to open the door (that part took me foreeeeeeever).

Here's what I did:
Clear out as many of the Covenant as possible until the second ship drops. Stock up on railgun ammo (most of the crates have railguns near them). Run back to the corridor you came from originally (to the door Cortana just opened). You should get a checkpoint.

Then run back over to the area but go to the pathway to the right. The Knights should teleport up to that area away from all the Covenant. From there you can take them out pretty easily with the railgun since they are close. If you have the autosentry, that also helps draw some of their fire while you charge the railgun. They will drop lightrifles or scattershots. Use the lightrifle to take out the remaining Covenant from afar.
[/QUOTE]

oh good, I'm not the only one who had trouble with the part where Cortana opens the door. That sequence was by far the most annoying in the whole campaign!

Anyone else's weekly "Deadeye" challenge reset?

Turned it on this morning to find that the 60+ headshots I had gotten over the last couple of days were gone, and I'd have to start the weekly challenge from scratch again. The other one, which I had completed, is still reading as completed, but this one--which I was certain to finish today--is back to 0 (well, now it's 1 or 2 after playing one game).

Very, very frustrating.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Anyone else's weekly "Deadeye" challenge reset?[/QUOTE]That explains what happened to mine.... I thought maybe a new week had started I guess. That or I was very, very tired when I looked at it.

Looking at my stats on the website says the change is complete... 70/70.

Yep, I also had my Deadeye Weekly Challenge reset today (11/21/12), even though I had already completed it on Monday afternoon. I'm pretty sure it was around 4-5am CST (so about 2-3 hours ago,) because I was playing CTF for the new Daily Challenge when I noticed it.

~~Nate

[quote name='saunderscowie']The map rotation is making me not want to play this game online..[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much how it goes in 4v4:
Haven, Haven, Complex, Haven, Solace, Haven, Haven, Complex, Haven, Haven, Abandon, Haven, Haven, Haven, Complex

And on any "big" playlists:
Ragnarok, Ragnarok, Ragnarok, Ragnarok, Ragnarok, Ragnarok, Ragnarok

Seriously. There is one simple solution to get map rotation moving in "big" matches. Remove the Mantis. It's fun, but clearly the only reason Ragnarok keeps dominating the selection.

[quote name='GUNNM']The assassination master helmet is pretty badass looking but I'm far aways from getting it -=[[/QUOTE]
Yup, its why I'm really tempted to redeem my Best Buy preorder as I'll never get it the old fashion way... I have like 2 assassinations in 4 or 5 hours of MP play. :lol:

Also I would like to think everyone who helped with my preorder DLC code questions... It really helped allot.

This helped some too.

Spartan Armor Unlock Guide
http://www.examiner.com/article/halo-4-guide-to-spartan-armor-unlocks

[quote name='Corvin']This is pretty much how it goes in 4v4:
Haven, Haven, Complex, Haven, Solace, Haven, Haven, Complex, Haven, Haven, Abandon, Haven, Haven, Haven, Complex

Seriously. There is one simple solution to get map rotation moving in "big" matches. Remove the Mantis. It's fun, but clearly the only reason Ragnarok keeps dominating the selection.[/QUOTE]

They added the Mantis to Meltdown. Another simple solution would be to reduce the number of times it pops up to vote on in half.

[quote name='whiptcracker']They added the Mantis to Meltdown. Another simple solution would be to reduce the number of times it pops up to vote on in half.[/QUOTE]

True.

I just don't get dropping $60 on a game then wanting to play the same map you've been playing for the past 4 years in a different game. Bizarre.

That's not saying I don't want classic maps or revamps (I'd love an epic version of Halo: MP with every map in existence), but the first two weeks of release? I want to play the new shit.

[quote name='Corvin']This is pretty much how it goes in 4v4:

Seriously. There is one simple solution to get map rotation moving in "big" matches. Remove the Mantis. It's fun, but clearly the only reason Ragnarok keeps dominating the selection.[/QUOTE]
I don't see the Mantis as the reason at all, they're often not that effective.

It's because a lot of the new maps suck. They tried to be too different when a lot of people like more linear, my side/your side layouts like Blood Gulch/Coagulation/Valhalla. Complex and Haven are the only maps on Team Slayer that feel like Halo maps.

It also doesn't help that there's a lack of balance for certain maps. Exile has a Scorpion spawn right by Red Team. Blue Team gets a GaussHog. But in either case that can be unbalanced. Gauss Warthog can easily move around the map, scoring aim assisted one hit kills. The Scorpion can slowly move around the map scoring aim assisted one hit kills, but with a much slower rate of fire. I'm positive that a level designer felt that giving different teams different vehicles creates dynamic play, but it doesn't work in practice. Instead you get lopsided play with one very frustrated team at the end.

Likewise, Ragnarok slows because of how unbalanced the vehicles are. Each team has the same vehicles, but a Banshee is so weak compared to a Mantis. Meanwhile a Warthog is easily knocked or flipped around by the Mantis Rockets. This usually means that Mantis drivers are greatly overpowered, and can frequently lead to each teams Mantis staying back, while their teammates do the same, as neither wants to get blown away. I understand this strategy, as I recommended it previously, but even I know it kills the flow of the game.

Valhalla in Halo 3 seemed to have consistent firefights. A Warthog rushing your base; a Banshee blasting at it; Ghosts and Wraiths also attacking when Covenant settings were on. You needed to use sticky grenades, or rockets, or a Spartan Laser, or a Warthog Turret, or the Missile Pod (do people remember that awesome weapon?), or the equipment like the Power Drainer. These things kept the game tense. While ordnances are great because it prevents people from holding the power weapon spawns, it also kills the strength of vehicles, too. Vehicles should be a better weapon than a few Spartans. But instead it feels like most vehicles last less than a minute in this game.

And I don't get why they took out 'scope knockout' when hit. It's absurd that I can fire on a Sniper and they can stay scoped and fire at me from long distance. This allowed teammates to advance. Instead, people have to hang back because of the ridiculous range, power and speed of the DMR. This game just doesn't make open maps fun to play on like the previous ones did.

They just need to get balance in this game. Mantises should not have shields. Scoped-in players should be knocked out of scope when shot, and forced to stand up when crouching. The DMR needs to lose accuracy over range. It also needs to recoil if fired too fast. The Mantis should be removed from Valhalla to see if it speeds up gameplay, and to test if that's why it gets voted for so frequently. The Banshee needs better armor to potentially survive longer, as it's pathetic how easily shot down it is.

If they address these things it should help improve gameplay. And please address the inconsistent Join-In Progress. I was in a Big Team Match by myself for over 3 minutes against a team of 8. By the time others were added, only 4 people, the other team had all of the vehicles. In that situation all players should reset to spawns to at least give the new players a chance. Someone pointed this out online, but, when they add actual rank, situations like that will definitely piss off players when you're thrown into a match that you have no chance of winning. How is that supposed to be fun?

The Mantis is one of the easier vehicles to kill due to its lack of speed, either jump on it or hit it with a plasma pistol. The ability of everyone to have a plasma pistol off the bat reduces the effectiveness of vehicles overall to a degree.

Also, the banshee was near unstoppable in Halo 3, they toned that down in 4 but it's still dangerous in the right hands.

I have to say the literal copy and paste of spawn points from EVERY call of duty game to Halo 4 really puts a damper on things. I also would really appreciate it if they squared the lag away already because it's god awful half the time and the glitch where you spawn and are unable to choose your loadout the whole game is really awesome.

Scorpion is useless on exile. It dies so fast the best vehicle is banshee easily.

Ragnarok can so wrong for any side so fast if one person gets the spartan laser in the beginning I always run for it it can kill mantis in a couple of hits, banshee in one and get an easy double kill against a warthog.

But that's my point. There's a power weapon in Ragnarok in the middle of the map, yet they also have ordnances. My point is it literally makes vehicles useless. They should be powerful, it's a vehicle.

My feeling is I'm fine with vehicles being hard to take out, as they should be. Each team should have access to the same (starting) vehicles, though, or it creates imbalance. But I think it's absurd that a Mantis has a shield when all other vehicles don't have that. It should get worn away like the other vehicles, and not need to be shot enough to remove a regenerative shield, and then start to take damage.

I don't get why they have power weapons at the start of maps, when they also allow ordnances. The whole idea seemed to be that you'd build to them, and not just hand out a Sniper Rifle or Spartan Laser to someone.

The whole point of the Banshees in 3 was to be an annoyance. Both teams had access to one, and it was up to you using the weapons I previously posted to take it out. It makes sense that vehicles would be difficult to battle. That's what I don't understand in this game. They make the Banshee way too easy to take out, while making something like the Mantis have a shield, when it already has rockets and a machine gun. I've been able to get 2 Perfections in a Mantis and 1 in a Scorpion, so I know how powerful they are from experience. Even if I'm taken out in either one, I usually average close to 10 kills in each, along with several assists in the Mantis. That's not bragging, as I'm a bad player. But if I'm doing that well, imagine how well good people can play in it. It's just horribly imbalanced.

[quote name='Soodmeg']there is about 10x as many people playing Slayer than lets say...oddball. (at the moment there was only 2800 people playing oddball...why even have it?) [/quote]

2800 may not seem like allot but I can attest to you that their are allot of games that would die to have 2800 players on it at any given point.

As for why have it it? Its an option, its got enough people to support the playlist so why not have it?

[quote name='Soodmeg']Thats true but you slightly missed my point, I wasnt necessarily saying that the mode should go away I was using it as an example...especially since its been in other Halo's before. But lowest common denominator man.

The only new game mode is Flood and that mode is all types of worthless, you have an IP that has unlimited resources and support...anything sort of super aids on the disc would have been a blockbuster game. There is no risk here.

Why not try anything new for the game...even it doesnt work, clearly in the grand scheme of Halo no one cares about those modes anyway. You have 500k people playing at one time...you really going to be that worried if 1k of them dont have oddball? No..you wouldnt and if you were half as good as you think you are that innovative original mode would draw just as many people would it not? Flood mode is retarded and it has 6k people playing it right now.

I guess I am a harsher critic of studios that have unlimited support and do nothing to further the gaming industry as a whole when people who have not even 1% of the same budget get killed for doing anything innovative.[/QUOTE]

How high do you get before you post?

Flood isn't new. It's zombies with special character skins. It was "invented" back in Halo 2 and has been in Halo ever since. Other games may do it better, but it's the same as it has been since its inception. There are multiple new gametypes in the game. Dominion is brand new to the series. Regicide is new, albeit a bit similar to Free For All. Not to mention they're testing new modes every week. SWAT and Team Snipers both returned. I've heard talks about Team Doubles coming back as well. Multi-team was in previous Halo games, so I'm sure they'll bring that back as well. They are testing what gametypes are the most popular and I'm sure the unpopular ones will get replaced. They can't saturate the playlists any more than they do now. There's like 10 different options already.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']My feeling is I'm fine with vehicles being hard to take out, as they should be. Each team should have access to the same (starting) vehicles, though, or it creates imbalance. But I think it's absurd that a Mantis has a shield when all other vehicles don't have that. It should get worn away like the other vehicles, and not need to be shot enough to remove a regenerative shield, and then start to take damage.[/QUOTE]
People are dumb and don't bring plasma pistols to big team, the level of intelligence there is lacking compared to other game types. It takes down the mantis shields and stuns it for longer than any other vehicle, long enough to casually walk up and board it. They're too slow to really dodge them unlike a banshee.

The problem is that teamwork, communication, and some thought are the greatest threat to the mantis/banshee/anything and everybody wants to be an army of one with no mic.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Thats true but you slightly missed my point, I wasnt necessarily saying that the mode should go away I was using it as an example...especially since its been in other Halo's before. But lowest common denominator man.

The only new game mode is Flood and that mode is all types of worthless, you have an IP that has unlimited resources and support...anything sort of super aids on the disc would have been a blockbuster game. There is no risk here.[/quote]

Okay, I can see where you you're coming from... Sorta. Though I feel I should point out the obvious. There are risks in the game, even in the MP (aka load out), but you are right their isn't any risk or very little of it in the MP modes. (Some one will have to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Regicide* new?)

* Not that its a good mode...

[quote name='Soodmeg']Why not try anything new for the game...even it doesn’t work, clearly in the grand scheme of Halo no one cares about those modes anyway. You have 500k people playing at one time...you really going to be that worried if 1k of them dont have oddball? No..you wouldnt and if you were half as good as you think you are that innovative original mode would draw just as many people would it not? Flood mode is retarded and it has 6k people playing it right now.[/quote]

Again, with the “hate” for Oddball huh? :lol:

Again, I don't see the need to remove it... I don't think the game has a hardwired number of playlists it can show/run (I've seen games where this was a problem) so there really is no need to remove it... Granted, I don't think there are any “hardcore” Oddball players but its a nice mode to have when you have friends you want to play with but whom cannot shot straight to save their lives.

Honestly, I wish it had some other modes too...

Two Quick Examples

Doubles/Wingman

1 Flag Capture the Flag (Both teams will try to capture the flag at the same time... I would likely do it on the smaller maps with no vehicles.)

Free For All SWAT (It would likely be a huge cluster fuck but with the right maps with the right player count it could work... Maybe.)

[quote name='Soodmeg']I guess I am a harsher critic of studios that have unlimited support and do nothing to further the gaming industry as a whole when people who have not even 1% of the same budget get killed for doing anything innovative.[/QUOTE]

I guess will have to agree to disagree but I've seen innovation in the game.. (The campaign has a deeper story than ever before, Spartan Ops is something that hasn't been really been tried before, Load Outs in MP, etc.) It maybe not be to your liking or what you wanted but their was far more innovation in this title than the norm.

Spartan Ops is a big upgrade over Firefight in Reach, at least for me.

Would like to see Team Doubles again too. Maybe make it only available to parties of 2 and not individuals.

[quote name='dafoomie']Spartan Ops is a big upgrade over Firefight in Reach, at least for me.

Would like to see Team Doubles again too. Maybe make it only available to parties of 2 and not individuals.[/QUOTE]

I really like Spartan Ops, it just confuses me why they handcuffed it the way they did. I said this before but just to refresh, I dont understand why I cant play through the first episode via public matches only the current episode. I also dont get why I cant play on legendary...why force me to get 4 people in a party when it clearly works without it.

I like the mode I am just confused by their some of their choices. Hopefully it doesnt fully end after the last episode...keep a couple of those coming out every so often and I will gladly shut my mouth and play them instead of oddball :roll: (lol I only said that for InmateofArkum sake)

Alright back on topic. So is the lightrilfe good or do I just suck at it? Seems like it should be good but I am not killing anyone with that thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen some of the things you're talking about but part of it is that they're trying to make it episodic. To me, it's a lot more appealing to have a chapter come out every week instead of dropping all of them at once and having a daunting amount of missions to do, I probably wouldn't even do them in that case.

DMR and BR are better. The light rifle does less damage when you're not scoped in, and the clip size is small.

bread's done
Back