Halo back-catalog

velvet396

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So... blasphemy warning:
I've never played through the Halo or Halo2 single player.

I think I've only played Halo 2 multiplayer once.

Thing is, I couldn't be a bigger fan of multiplayer halo, for whatever reason, and I'm anticipating Halo 3 like no other.

I just picked up a 360 over the weekend, and currently only have a copy of Halo, and am looking for a cheap copy of Halo2. How long does the singleplayer campaign take for each one?

I'm going to get totally owned during the Halo 3 beta, but I'm sure I'll have fun. My line of thinking is that this "crash course" of sorts will help about as much as cramming for a final - I won't fail the test, but I certainly won't have high marks :)

Thanks in advance for the replies...

Also any spoiler-free tips?

Just play through the first half of Halo and Halo 2. The second half of each game just has you backtracking through the levels or running through similar corridors...but on different floors. Awesome.

If you're playing through it for story, I'd say Halo is the better one to play through, but Halo 2 has the better environments, but not by much. There isn't much story to speak of though if that's what you're mostly after.

You're better off getting Halo 2 and jumping into multi sessions to prep yourself for the Beta.

Post if you find a deal on Halo 2. I can't seem to find it cheaper than $25(used) anywhere which is ridiculous for how old the game is.

I think both games are awesome... but both suffer from a "bog" session at about 60-80% completion. The first halves are great and the endings are exciting, but that middle fifth or so can be kind of repetitive. I personally think the story is interesting in both of them (although Halo 2's story can be confusing), and they both hold up well enough to be thoroughly enjoyed today.

lol I'm in the same position...except I have neither game. I've only played Halo 1 Multi, never touched a copy of Halo 2. Want to beat both before Halo 3 though for the story...

I'm in somewhat the same boat, I just picked up Halo 2 from a fellow CAGer on here. Halo 1 I played until I got to the flood then thought "this sucks" and never played it again since I lost interest after that point.

Halo 2 I'm looking forward to some multi, but I'm hoping I can meet up with some fellow CAGers since I'll get my ass handed to me and I'd rather not have it happen with someone telling me how much I fucking suck, or calling me a fagg0t, or gracing me with their 11 year-old wisdom.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I'm in somewhat the same boat, I just picked up Halo 2 from a fellow CAGer on here. Halo 1 I played until I got to the flood then thought "this sucks" and never played it again since I lost interest after that point.

Halo 2 I'm looking forward to some multi, but I'm hoping I can meet up with some fellow CAGers since I'll get my ass handed to me and I'd rather not have it happen with someone telling me how much I fucking suck, or calling me a fagg0t, or gracing me with their 11 year-old wisdom.[/quote]

Feel free to add me (Slab09)... I play Halo 2 quite a bit, and I'm nice :) . Same goes for anyone else who is new to Halo... add me and just tell me you're from CAG... I probably won't add you if you don't. I have been teaching my girlfriend how to play recently (and the best part is, she loves it) and actually articulating this stuff has been helpful... so I may be able to help you guys out with map nuances/strategies and whatnot.

Im sorta in the same boat but own Halo 2 and not Halo 1. I think what ill do is just watch the dvd with the cinematics from both when i get Halo 3.

Neither Halo, nor Halo 2 are exactly great single-player games. They each have their moments, but I find them both fairly forgettable. MP they're both good, but I still find the original Halo to be a much better game. I am anticipating Halo 3, but not like I was Halo 2.

some CAG Halo 2 sounds like fun. Thanks Weedy649 for the heads up on the Halo 3 dvd including cinematics from the first two - didn't know that, suppose it'd be a last-resort measure.

[quote name='elwood731']Neither Halo, nor Halo 2 are exactly great single-player games. They each have their moments, but I find them both fairly forgettable. MP they're both good, but I still find the original Halo to be a much better game. I am anticipating Halo 3, but not like I was Halo 2.[/quote]

I think I'm anticipating Halo3 more because some viewed Halo2 as a let-down, so they're going to try harder. More system to work with, bigger budget (I'm sure) and more at stake (if Halo3 has the same impact for the 360 that the original did for xbox...).

[quote name='Cracka']where the fuck have yall been[/quote]
I've been everywhere, man
'Cross the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel, I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere.

Been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocopilla, Barranquilla, and Padilla, I'm a killer.

I've been everywhere.

Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,
Monterey, Ferriday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,
Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake,
Grand Lake, Devil's Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake;

I've been everywhere.

Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Shefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond Du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellicoe, Argentina, Diamontina,
Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean, sir;

I've been everywhere.

Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,
Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,
Larrimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chattanika,
Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity;

I know some place you haven't been.
I've been everywhere.

well I played Halo PC Multi for awhile...so I know whats all in the game and I was a pretty good player. Not the best...maybe like top 5-10 clans lol. Anyway I never managed to get past the 2nd level in the game cause I found the single player kinda boring, especially considering my pc sucks and I couldnt shoot without major slowdown. (And also...for some reason I find any single player game 10x more boring on a PC than I do a console...multiplayer is a bit diff. XD)

It's worth playing the mind-numbingly boring parts of Halo 1 just to get to the extremely exciting end of the game. It's awesome.

But the flood zombie bullshit was just plain bad.

And not only does the game have you backtracking later on, but it has you going through many environments that just repeat like the backgrounds in older cartoons. You go in a room, and then you go on a bridge, and then you go into a very similar room, and then you go on a bridge that looks exactly the same, and you... etc. I swear, the level repeats itself ten times. It's downright boring.

Halo 2 looks amazing and is a bit less boring, but be prepared for a craptastic ending. It's not even a cliffhanger. It just drops right off of the cliff.

[quote name='Chuplayer']
Halo 2 looks amazing and is a bit less boring, but be prepared for a craptastic ending. It's not even a cliffhanger. It just drops right off of the cliff.[/quote]

and halo 3 starts off at the bottom of the cliff. yikes!

Both games have terrific stories, IMO (for a video game -- fps nonetheless -- they're fantastic).

Very exciting campaigns. I played through the enitre Halo a couple times with friends on co-op back in the day. Fantastic game. Don't listen to the fucktards who try to diss on it now that they think nobody's looking. It's a terrific game.

I bought Halo 1 and 2 together and havent played a second of single player. I went straight to multiplayer.

Halo 1, obviously is a better game, mainly because it takes more skill. Look for me on XBC if you want to play some H1, names ND_AvaLaNche.

[quote name='Corvin']Post if you find a deal on Halo 2. I can't seem to find it cheaper than $25(used) anywhere which is ridiculous for how old the game is.[/QUOTE]
Halo is still like $20 AND they are pretty hard to find, unless you want a platinum hits version.

I have a NEW SEALED collector's edition Halo 2 that still says do not sell before 11/9/04. I work at target and there were a bunch that went on sale for $3....i bought them all :)

[quote name='ivan a rom']I have a NEW SEALED collector's edition Halo 2 that still says do not sell before 11/9/04. I work at target and there were a bunch that went on sale for $3....i bought them all :)[/quote]

yeah i still don't get how its a 'collectors edition' when they make so many that they're more common than the regular green-case editions to the point where you can buy them new for $3. who are these collectors? I thought collectors sought out rare items.

[quote name='life.exe']I bought Halo 1 and 2 together and havent played a second of single player. I went straight to multiplayer.

Halo 1, obviously is a better game, mainly because it takes more skill. Look for me on XBC if you want to play some H1, names ND_AvaLaNche.[/quote]

More skill? Ha. You're funny. Halo 2 requires different skills than Halo 1. Halo 1 was all about headshots with less focus on strategy. Halo 2 requires more strategy and planning as a team because of the power weapon concept. Controlling spawn points of power weapons and disarming enemies with power weapons requires more skill than shooting someone in the head 3 times with a gun. I will say I do miss the Halo 1 plasma rifle. Nothing like a little plasma stun to the back of the head followed by a melee. Plasma rifle starts were the best in Halo 1.

hahaha I remember plasma rifles on the PC version. To be honest...I started out just having fun driving people over with hogs/ghosts/whatever, then after using pistol/sniper for awhile it got kinda boring. I still enjoy driving people over with hogs for 1) to see their reaction, and 2) I'm a more experienced player so often I could take out some of the better people before they got me, which made it even more funny :D

[quote name='life.exe']Halo 1, obviously is a better game, mainly because it takes more skill.[/QUOTE]
Translation: life.exe sucks at Halo 2.

;)

edit: Just joking, btw, also I just checked and he's a 49 (which I think is good... not sure, haven't playing in months) So srsly, guys, I'm just kidding around.

[quote name='velvet396']What is this flood thing... nobody seems to like it. No spoilers please, is it just really hard or really stupid?[/quote]
It's an "enemy" that consist of hundreds of little bug-like creatures. If you've played Metroid Prime, you'll remember the same type of "enemy" in some of the corridors (especially at the beginning of the game).

The difference, if I'm not mistaken, is that the flood in Halo can whittle you down pretty quick if you're not a quick-shot.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']It's an "enemy" that consist of hundreds of little bug-like creatures. If you've played Metroid Prime, you'll remember the same type of "enemy" in some of the corridors (especially at the beginning of the game).

The difference, if I'm not mistaken, is that the flood in Halo can whittle you down pretty quick if you're not a quick-shot.[/quote]
wonderful...

makes me wish I had someone to play coop and help out.

What is the XBC that life.exe mentions? Is it a way to play Halo1 multiplayer over the net?

EDIT: Read up on XBC - any opinions of it are appreciated. Any way to do halo 1 co-op over it?

[quote name='velvet396']wonderful...

makes me wish I had someone to play coop and help out. [/quote]It's really too bad you already know about the flood.

One of the most exciting moments in any videogame I've ever played was discovering the flood. It really won't be the same experience knowing about it ahead of time.

What is the XBC that life.exe mentions? Is it a way to play Halo1 multiplayer over the net?
Yes. You run it on your computer and go through the PC app. It works for any System Link game. Basically acts like a LAN on a worldwide scale.

EDIT: Read up on XBC - any opinions of it are appreciated. Any way to do halo 1 co-op over it?
No. Co-op doesn't even work online in Halo 2. Like I said, all XBC does is use the System Link feature in a game, but instead of connecting you to a LAN, connects you to other players over the internet.

Any features that work in System Link will work in XBC: it's all the same thing.

[quote name='PyroGamer']It's really too bad you already know about the flood.

One of the most exciting moments in any videogame I've ever played was discovering the flood. It really won't be the same experience knowing about it ahead of time.[/quote]

That's okay, I'm sure the surprise being replaced with the fear of impending doom will equal things out for me.

[quote name='LunaticPuma']Fixed.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

Anyone who wants to play some Team Hardcore, feel free. I'm currently a 26 in that setting so you better be down!

[quote name='LunaticPuma']Fixed.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

Anyone who wants to play some Team Hardcore, feel free. I'm currently a 26 in that setting so you better be down!

I'm definitely interested in getting in some multiplayer Halo 2 with beginners. I just started playing it last week, and I couldn't make heads or tails out of what was going on. It was a completely craptacular experience. About halfway through the single player campaign and am enjoying that, though. So any other beginners: request me or I'll request you!

[quote name='JimmieMac']I did a double take when I saw this thread, I thought someone had bumped some shit from Smarch '05.[/quote]
We're out there man - not everyone jumps into every major video game that's released.

That said, Happy Panda, lyric, I say as soon as I can find a cheap copy of Halo2 I'm in for some beginner CAG multiplayer! lol

The local trade-in shop only has them "new" for $29, and I'm willing to bet their used price also sucks fuck's balls.
I think I might have to wait and try to get a used version through gamefly or blockbuster in case they get lost in the mail... but I hate doing that as I do sometimes try to be ethical :D

I played multiplayer gears for about 2 minutes total last night. I got chainsawed twice, shotgunned once, and promptly left because I didn't even know which button to use to talk on the mic. I think I'll finish the campaign first before going back to multiplayer. That and I still have a hard time discerning between locusts and teammates.

I'd be up for some beginner Halo 2 games. I played one game on live, and actually killed someone like twice! Wow! I only died about 28 times!

[quote name='velvet396']That's okay, I'm sure the surprise being replaced with the fear of impending doom will equal things out for me.[/quote]
Don't worry, I don't think there's any mention of the flood before it happens so you'll still be surprised.

Hopefully I'll be getting my copy in the mail today and I'll hop on and add you beginners so we won't get our asses handed to us.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Don't worry, I don't think there's any mention of the flood before it happens so you'll still be surprised.

Hopefully I'll be getting my copy in the mail today and I'll hop on and add you beginners so we won't get our asses handed to us.[/quote]

You're talking about gears right? unless you know some trick to play halo1/2 coop online :)

[quote name='LunaticPuma']More skill? Ha. You're funny. Halo 2 requires different skills than Halo 1. Halo 1 was all about headshots with less focus on strategy. Halo 2 requires more strategy and planning as a team because of the power weapon concept. Controlling spawn points of power weapons and disarming enemies with power weapons requires more skill than shooting someone in the head 3 times with a gun. I will say I do miss the Halo 1 plasma rifle. Nothing like a little plasma stun to the back of the head followed by a melee. Plasma rifle starts were the best in Halo 1.[/QUOTE]

....Halo 1 is all about weapon/power-up control too. Did you never play with a timer? I like both games a lot, but the element of weapon control is inherent in both.

I also didn't see what the fuss was all about when they took the pistol out. You shoot someone in the head 4x with a BR instead of a with a pistol 3x in H2, big deal.

[quote name='velvet396']You're talking about gears right? unless you know some trick to play halo1/2 coop online :)[/quote]
No I'm talking meeting up for some CAG "beginner" MP action.

[quote name='captmurphy']A 49? Damn, life.exe, that is impressive. How much do you play?[/quote]

I use to play alot, couldnt find a single person that could consistently beat me in FFA or 1v1. Then I stopped playing for about 3 months, and got bad. I can still beat most of the kids on this game, just not the good kids anymore.

And to those of you who are critizing my level...play me.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']....Halo 1 is all about weapon/power-up control too. Did you never play with a timer? I like both games a lot, but the element of weapon control is inherent in both.

I also didn't see what the fuss was all about when they took the pistol out. You shoot someone in the head 4x with a BR instead of a with a pistol 3x in H2, big deal.[/quote]

You had to lead in h1.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']....Halo 1 is all about weapon/power-up control too. Did you never play with a timer? I like both games a lot, but the element of weapon control is inherent in both.

I also didn't see what the fuss was all about when they took the pistol out. You shoot someone in the head 4x with a BR instead of a with a pistol 3x in H2, big deal.[/quote]

I never played with a timer, but I played with other kids who did. I never understood why you would do that. It takes away from the natural enjoyment of the game. I saw a timer as an aid that shouldn't be used, like the pack-back reloading glitch or the button cheats in Halo 2 (BXR, BXB, double shot, etc.) or superbouncing. Just because you can do something, doesn't make it part of the gameplay.

You are right that Halo 1 had power-up/weapon control though weapons less so since they would respawn eventually regardless if someone else had one. I enjoy both. My only real problem with Halo 2 MP is the tracking on the plasma pistol. It tracks way too well, making the "noob" combo as effective as the sniper rifle. The comb should be somewhere around shotgun/sword range for better balance.

[quote name='life.exe']You had to lead in h1.[/quote]

There was less auto-aim in H1 which is why you had to lead. I think they upped the auto-aim to account for online play which has an inherent lag in it.

bread's done
Back