Halo: Reach

... There's nothing about pre-ordering in that link.

EDIT: Also, the way they worded it, I'm not sure that you get a code e-mailed to you. The wording is misleading if I am correct in thinking that they are referring to the fact that you gain access to the beta via the game disc.

I'm having a lot of fun with the beta, but I agree with what many others have said: grenades and melee seem a little too powerful.

I actually don't mind that the grenades are beefed up from Halo 3, I just wish that players would not automatically start with 2. It'd be great if Bungie would run an experiment to test the community's reaction to said change.

SWAT is great as well, but I found that too many of my battles ended in double knockouts a la Rocky II when Rocky and Apollo each lay haymakers on one another. I don't remember one punch kills in Halo 2/3 SWAT, but maybe I'm wrong?

The radar should come with a "objects in radar are closer than they appear" message. I had a dude chasing behind me but the radar showed a good distance in between, so I tried to get to a corner that was straight ahead so I could stop and jump off, but he was able to do the melee animation and take me out before I could.

[quote name='Matt Young']Can you do file sharing in the beta? If you can, I wasn't aware.

Like I said, my teammates witnessed it. They weren't from CAG, though. But just a while ago, I did play with a CAG- EastX. he can attest to the truth of my statements.

Several times, I had the following occur:

*I empty half a clip of the default rifle into a guy's chest*
*I melee the guy*
*I shoot him some more as he shoots me and tosses grenades*
*I melee him again*
*He shoots me once and I die*

So you can say it doesn't happen. Maybe it isn't supposed to happen. I fully believe that you have not seen it. But it has happened to me and people I have played with.

On the positive side (even though I died) I saw something awesome: A guy assassinated me as we were both in midair. That was pretty awesome. I complimented him afterward.[/QUOTE]

The Halo community would be up in arms if this was the case. Upload it to your file share, because I'd love to see it.

[quote name='zewone']That's not what's he referring to. You can block a sword lunge if you melee just before it hits you in Reach.

It'll only take off your shields, not kill you. If you have no shields, it'll do no damage.[/QUOTE]
I found this out the fun way. :D

I love meleeing sworders and them kind of being stunned and leaving themselves open for the killstroke.

[quote name='Swift900']

SWAT is great as well, but I found that too many of my battles ended in double knockouts a la Rocky II when Rocky and Apollo each lay haymakers on one another. I don't remember one punch kills in Halo 2/3 SWAT, but maybe I'm wrong?[/QUOTE]

I know in Halo 2 it was a one punch kill for swat. Not sure about Halo 3 though.
IMO SWAT seems really odd without the good ol' BR.

[quote name='Trakan']The Halo community would be up in arms if this was the case. Upload it to your file share, because I'd love to see it.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I didn't know we could do file sharing in the beta. I'll save it next time it happens.

What's this Technician commendation? It's not a medal. The description says 'Perform an incredible feat in matchmaking.' I don't think I'm good enough to qualify for incredible but it looks like I've done this twice.

[quote name='Matt Young']Like I said, I didn't know we could do file sharing in the beta. I'll save it next time it happens.[/QUOTE]

You can save the last 25 games.

[quote name='Swift900']

SWAT is great as well, but I found that too many of my battles ended in double knockouts a la Rocky II when Rocky and Apollo each lay haymakers on one another. I don't remember one punch kills in Halo 2/3 SWAT, but maybe I'm wrong?[/QUOTE]

I thought head shots only counted towards your kill count anyway. Isn't that how it used to be done?

Anyone else have mixed feelings about the Reach beta? I know it's just the beta, but I'm not sure how I feel about the updated pace and feel of the combat. It's a lot more modern and will probably appeal to a wider audience, but to me it just feels less..."solid." However, I enjoy SWAT a lot more in Reach than I ever did in Halo 3.

[quote name='Corvin']I thought head shots only counted towards your kill count anyway. Isn't that how it used to be done?[/QUOTE]

Nooo, any kills count, it just takes only one headshot to kill, though. No shields.

And yeah, the double beatdowns are a big problem. They happened in Halo 3 quite a bit, but not ALL THE TIME like in the beta. In the beta, your timing can be way off and you'd still get the kill before dying. I'm sure they'll fix it, though.

anyone know how to use the grenades from the launcher as mines? bungie said it could be done but i dont think they said how to. if this was covered earlier, my apologies

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']anyone know how to use the grenades from the launcher as mines? bungie said it could be done but i dont think they said how to. if this was covered earlier, my apologies[/QUOTE]

If you pull the trigger and quickly release it, the grenade blows up like normal. If you pull the trigger and hold it, the grenade won't blow up until you release the trigger.

[quote name='menikmati']You can save the last 25 games.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll go through and find a clip next time I get on, either tonight or tomorrow.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Anyone else have mixed feelings about the Reach beta? I know it's just the beta, but I'm not sure how I feel about the updated pace and feel of the combat.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying. Although I probably fall on the more extreme end. The more I play the beta, the more I dislike it and it's not just one thing - it's pretty much everything. The grenade spamming is far worse in this than I remember it being in Halo 3 and now that the grenades are so overpowering, it's ridiculous and to me, just not fun. Not a big fan of the new weapons or classes either.

I'm hoping that when they rollout invasion on Friday I'll find something in there I like, but if I had to decide based just on what I've played, this will be the first Halo I don't buy. It's a shame, because I like the series, but maybe they're targeting a different audience than me and that's fine, as there's plenty of other cool games to play.

[quote name='Fjordson']How did he do??[/QUOTE]

it was slayer ffa and i think he went like 16-18

we killed each other like 3 times a apiece :lol:

[quote name='Flak']What's this Technician commendation? It's not a medal. The description says 'Perform an incredible feat in matchmaking.' I don't think I'm good enough to qualify for incredible but it looks like I've done this twice.[/QUOTE]
This.

Stolen from the Bungie forums:

Technician Breakdown:

According to Luke Smith over at NeoGaf, here are the requirements for earning Technician Commendations:

Technician - a placeholder name - is for exceptional Medals and actions. Here's a list of what increments this Commendation in the beta:

1. Bulltrue
2. Revenge
3. Skyjack
4. Highjack
5. Killjoy
6. Kill from the Grave
7. First Strike
8. Close Call
9. Opportunist
10. Headcase
11. Pull
12. Extermination

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What's "Skyjack" and "Highjack"? Last I checked there were no vehicles in the beta.[/QUOTE]

Jetpack + assasination?

[quote name='JBlade00']Jetpack + assasination?[/QUOTE]

And I guess the other would be the opposite...assassinate someone on a jetpack. Probably has to happen in midair.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']And I guess the other would be the opposite...assassinate someone on a jetpack. Probably has to happen in midair.[/QUOTE]

I dont think thats what it means, he might be talking about later. When we can use air vehicles and ground vehicles.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What's "Skyjack" and "Highjack"? Last I checked there were no vehicles in the beta.[/QUOTE]

On Friday, the Invasion game type will be added to the playlists. Vehicles will be available in that game type.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I dont think thats what it means, he might be talking about later. When we can use air vehicles and ground vehicles.[/QUOTE]

Then I wonder why he already got it:

[quote name='Flak']What's this Technician commendation? It's not a medal. The description says 'Perform an incredible feat in matchmaking.' I don't think I'm good enough to qualify for incredible but it looks like I've done this twice.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BingoBrown']On Friday, the Invasion game type will be added to the playlists. Vehicles will be available in that game type.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Skyjack - hijacking a flying vehicle in the air.
Highjack - hijacking a ground-based vehicle.[/QUOTE]

That's what I originally assumed too, but last night while I was playing I did catch a few people in jet packs taking out people by melee animation in the air...it does a different animation, so I figured maybe it was tied to this.

guy kept killing me in oddball, i sent him a message go after oddball. guy with his party t-bags me in next ffa then i realized they were making one of their guys always win. in the next FFA slayer i get revenge and go +10 on their asses and they quit...

sent them all a message going hahah i won ultimate t-bag.

this one guy who kept winning, my friend watched him and all he did was lay back until guys were weak and strike. in other words an "opportunist" i defeated his method by shotgunning his face in and got a triple kill.

the match had me with 25 and the guy who kept winning with 24...

should have saved it

You do me proud, timesplitt. I don't understand why people try to boost, sabotage teams, and do other stuff like that in a beta. I understand a little more if it's the actual game as stats are important to some people, but doing that in a beta? That's about as pathetic as you can get.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Then I wonder why he already got it[/QUOTE]

Maybe Luke Smith meant that any one of those medals or actions contributes to the commendation. So if you need 12 medals/actions, for example, you could get one of each of the twelve, twelve of one of them, or three multiples of four of the medals, or some other combination, as long as the total adds up to the required amount. That's just a guess, though.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Maybe Luke Smith meant that any one of those medals or actions contributes to the commendation. So if you need 12 medals/actions, for example, you could get one of each of the twelve, twelve of one of them, or three multiples of four of the medals, or some other combination, as long as the total adds up to the required amount. That's just a guess, though.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I already got the commendation too and did not have to get skyjacker or carjacker.

[quote name='Schmackledorf']You do me proud, timesplitt. I don't understand why people try to boost, sabotage teams, and do other stuff like that in a beta. I understand a little more if it's the actual game as stats are important to some people, but doing that in a beta? That's about as pathetic as you can get.[/QUOTE]
Some of them are just jerks.
stampy.jpg

Anyone have a beta key by any chance? I dropped 3 starcraft 2 beta keys with no thanks in the SC2 thread, was hoping karma could help me out here?

slightly better Beta Reach experience today, only 2 matches where our team make in Powerhouse CTF ran off with the flag so we couldn't cap. If you can filter out most of the ppl w/headsets that just cough every 2 seconds, not too bad. I still don't know how some ppl are getting headshots from across the map with battlerifles and pistols...w/one shot consistantly.

Is autolock doing that?

[quote name='100xp']I still don't know how some ppl are getting headshots from across the map with battlerifles and pistols...w/one shot consistantly.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering about that as well. I'm running around and boom, one headshot from across the map and I'm dead.

[quote name='BingoBrown']If you pull the trigger and quickly release it, the grenade blows up like normal. If you pull the trigger and hold it, the grenade won't blow up until you release the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Edit: Also, Invasion is up

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Invasion is pretty fucking dope.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I like it a lot, even though I haven't completely figured out the map yet.

Heading home here soon and gonna get on and play some invasion. Time to play another map 100 times for a change.

I'm enjoying Invasion, but the respawn system can be completely broken at times though. Sometimes it takes 15-20 seconds for me to respawn, and that's if I even choose our base. It once took me over 30 seconds to respawn.

[quote name='cdietschrun']Anyone have a beta key by any chance? I dropped 3 starcraft 2 beta keys with no thanks in the SC2 thread, was hoping karma could help me out here?[/QUOTE]

Even though I didn't get one, thanks for sharing the SC2 beta keys. But, as far as Halo keys go, I'm pretty sure everyone who got one early either used it or sold it on eBay. I used mine over a week ago.

Yeah, no extra code here mate. Sorry :???:

I love Invasion. I really like how open the map is. It makes the DMR and Needle Rifle so much more useful. I'm getting way more kills with both of them than I do in Grab Bag or Free for All games.

The only nitpick I have is that at times the action feels kind of slow. I wish it was 8 vs. 8 or even 10 vs. 10.

I love Invasion, but it is a little imbalanced weapon wise. The Spartan side starts out with much better weapons (shotgun, grenade launcher), while the second two loadouts for the dinosaurs are just a sword (shotgun > sword) and a needler/plasma rifle combo. Plus the Spartans get rocket launchers, snipers, DMRs, in the last area. I know they are defending, but atleast even it out a little.

bread's done
Back