Halo: Reach

I was going to share the DLC code with my friend but apparently MS is against that, achievement wise.

GLITCH ALERT: If you don't use the download code to download the Anniversary map pack, you CANNOT unlock the DEFIANT achievements. Those 3 achievements, although tied to defiant maps, are linked to the Anniversary map pack and if you haven't redeemed the code, Reach does not allow you to unlock them. My boosting party and I discovered this tonight.

Tested and confirmed, the two of us that couldn't unlock it redeemed our code and were able to unlock it after that.

---

Got that from xbox360achivements.com

My friend has no interest in the single player campaign, so I figure I'd lend him my code. But I got 100% achievements in Reach, and want to keep that game at 100%. Bleh.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']My Halo Anniversary was delivered from Amazon[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know if a 48-hour trial of Live is included? I'm going to need one of those to play online.

[quote name='menikmati']Do you happen to know if a 48-hour trial of Live is included? I'm going to need one of those to play online.[/QUOTE]

My copy came with one.

[quote name='deadite76']My copy came with one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the verification, my XBL account just got restored today so I'll be deleting my previous post.

Come on ups! It's already 5pm! fuck them I didn't get my NHL 12 til 6pm so fucking stupid and my friend who is about 2 min away already got his at noon! What is that!

I missed the Halo level achievement for not using a vehicle, even though I didn't get in one. Well I got in one, died and didn't get a checkpoint yet it still said I went into a vehicle. So wasted about an hour on foot in that level.

My impressions so far is the HD facelift is good. Though there are a few hickups namingly the cut scenes have stuttered on me once, and sometime the audio gets cut off right away when a cut scene is engaged, i.e cortana will be like "blah blah bl-" then gets cut off right away.

I heard the co-op is laggy for some people not sure how true that is.

The terminals/skull additions don't feel out of place, and the levels are just as good as they were years ago in terms of difficulty and length. At least when playing solo.

I can confirm the classic playlist has the classic pistol and no armor abilities which was quite nice.

I'm gonna run through the game on normal. Then hopefully unlock the Bandanna skull and cheapen the legendary achivement (you get unlimited gernades and ammo with the Bandanna skull)

Also the grunt funeral skull makes the game a bit easier - you kill one grunt and he explodes with the strength of a plasma grenade, so a lot of enemies get taken out around with him.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm gonna run through the game on normal. Then hopefully unlock the Bandanna skull and cheapen the legendary achivement (you get unlimited gernades and ammo with the Bandanna skull)
[/QUOTE]
I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I'll stop playing Legendary to find that skull to make it easier. With Grunt Funeral Skull and that one, all you need is one more skull active on Heroic or higher to unlock another Achievement.

I anyone is looking for a [Legendary] partner, please let me know.

anyone else notice that when you install the game, it gives you two games in your list. one for reach anniversary multiplayer and one for Halo CE?

I thought that happened anyway? As the game uses the Reach engine for online?

[quote name='CaptainKirk']does anyone know the download size of the map pack? that came with the game? before I download this[/QUOTE]

About 1.3GB

HALO:CEA played last night and really enjoyed it. multi maps were impressive and the 3d quality is good for the campaign. kinect voice commands are kinda not neccessary, but still fun to use. looking forward to finally beating the first halo.

I thought that happened anyway? As the game uses the Reach engine for online?

Have other games done this before? I know bioshock2 uses two different game engines for singleplayer and multiplayer, but it still only gives you one game install on your list.

I'd rather just have one, especially with the cluster-fuck that is the new dashboard.

Yep, basically 3 engines in one, the original Halo Engine, the new engine they made for the new graphics, and then reach.

The maps were indeed a blast. They beefed up the Reach pistol to Halo 1 level badass-ness. Unfortunately, that's going to take some getting used to again. Outside of Rockets, it renders every other weapon pretty useless.

I haven't played H:CE mp in years, but there seem to be a bunch missing, I hadn't really thought about how many Halo 1 maps there were until I looked it up:

Halo (20 total maps counting PC)
In Anniversary:
Battle Creek
Damnation
Prisoner
Hang 'Em High
Timberland (PC Map)
Breakneck (Halo 2 map)
Installation 04 (Firefight only)

Left Out of Anniversary:
Derelict
Chill Out
Blood Gulch
Wizard
Longest
Rat Race
Sidewinder
Boarding Action
Chiron TL-34

PC Exclusives:
Death Island
Danger Canyon
Infinity
Ice Fields
Gephyrophobia

I can live without Boarding Action and Chiron, but the rest of the originals are a must, and the PC ones would be nice for those that never played them. I wonder if they already have an Anniversary Map Pack 2 waiting in the wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, once I looked it up, I was shocked. We got roughly 25% of the maps. Pretty shitty considering the $40 pricetag on a 10 year old game.

For the hell of it I looked up all the Halo maps thus far:
Halo (20)
Battle Creek
Damnation
Prisoner
Hang 'Em High
Timberland
Breakneck
Installation 04
Derelict
Chill Out
Blood Gulch
Wizard
Longest
Rat Race
Sidewinder
Boarding Action
Chiron TL-34
Death Island (PC)
Danger Canyon (PC)
Infinity (PC)
Ice Fields (PC)
Gephyrophobia (PC)

Halo 2: (25)
Acension
Backwash
Beaver Creek
Burial Mounds
Coagulation
Colossus
Containment
Desolation
District
Elongation
Foundation
Gemini
Headlong
Ivory Tower
Lockout
Midship
Relic
Sanctuary
Terminal
Tombstone
Turf
Uplift
Warlock
Waterworks
Zanzibar

Halo 3 (24)
Assembly
Avalanche
Blackout
Citadel
Cold Storage
Construct
Epitaph
Foundry
Ghost Town
Guardian
Heretic
High Ground
Isolation
Last Resort
Longshore
Narrows
Orbital
Rat's Nest
Sandbox
Sandtrap
Snowbound
Standoff
The Pit
Valhalla

Reach (17)
Boardwalk
Boneyard
Countdown
Powerhouse
Reflection
Spire
Sword Base
Zealot
Anchor 9
Breakpoint
Tempest
Highlands
Condemned
The Cage
Paradiso
Pinnacle
Asylum

Granted there are overlaps with some of the remakes, but damn that's 86 maps! Imagine having all those in rotation. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']
I can live without Boarding Action and Chiron, but the rest of the originals are a must, and the PC ones would be nice for those that never played them. I wonder if they already have an Anniversary Map Pack 2 waiting in the wings.[/QUOTE]

Chiron...that was the one with all those freaking portals, right? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing that as a FFA map. Boarding Action though kind of did suck. If only because it encouraged camping with snipers.

And I didn't realize all those maps were missing. Granted, most of my multi experience with Halo 1 was on the original xbox, not pc.

[quote name='JStryke']Chiron...that was the one with all those freaking portals, right? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing that as a FFA map. Boarding Action though kind of did suck. If only because it encouraged camping with snipers.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

[quote name='JStryke']
And I didn't realize all those maps were missing. Granted, most of my multi experience with Halo 1 was on the original xbox, not pc.[/QUOTE]

Forgetting the PC maps, that's still 9 maps missing. That's huge, IMO.

it's possible they'll release a map pack DLC for CEA/Reach multiplayer...for an extra 400-800 ms. of course...it makes cents.

Beat the game on normal. Raptr is saying I put about 14 hours in (after taking out the idle time and my short experience with the multiplayer) and I can agree to it. The single player in this game is friggin' long and I get lost pretty easily in some of the levels.

The bandana skull is a lot easier to get if your using a rocket launcher btw and a overshield. Just aim the rocket launcher a bit to your right and towards the ground while walking backwards and your character should fly backwards when you launch it and jump. That's how I got it anyways.

Now the game should be quite easier on legendary for the achievement hunters.

Any further impressions on the classic playlist in terms of balance? They take out the bloom or what?

So I'm still a little confused; the game is one disc, and includes a multiplayer component that is JUST the Anniversary maps on Reach's engine, right?

But it also includes a code for the map pack for use in normal Reach, and using that code is required to unlock the new Reach achievements. That's what I've gathered from reading everyone's posts so far

Correct, well I didn't realize you didn't had to install code to play the new maps on Anniversary disc that boots into Reach engine.. I just downloaded it straight away so I didn't know any different.

As someone who missed the original Xbox I'm really enjoying Anniversary. It's basically just like a new Halo for me with only slightly outdated unclear objectives. I don't currently have any friends that are playing this so feel free to add me if you'd like to try to do some missions on Legendary. I'd at least like to get through Pillar of Autumn and the mission-specific achievements.

The map pack code thing was a bit confusing to me as well but I didn't actually end up needing to use it since I'll probably just play the maps straight from the CEA disc. If anyone wants to trade something for the Reach code let me know. It's pretty generous of Microsoft to include that as no one would have thought something was missing if they didn't.

I heard you can't get any of the new achievements if you play the new maps through the Reach game engine? If you play just via the Anniversary you still can?

I'm curious if the opposite is true regarding the multiplayer achievements? Are you able to get them by playing multiplayer only through the Anniversary disc? There are no actual multiplayer achievements listed for CEA but maybe it somehow uses the Reach list? I'm still working on the campaign but I'll have to try out the multiplayer soon to find out.

I've got all my anniversary multiplayer achievements via the Reach disc. Apart from one which I unlocked in my first game playing via the anniversary disc that boots you into the Reach engine.

Lulz... I got a temp credit ban last night while boosting for the achievements. Quite easy. Took 3 of us with multiple controllers. Reach is 100% again :D

[quote name='Pirate331']FYI: Live co-op has horrible lag issues for the non-host member. Not worth playing until 343 releases a patch for it... :([/QUOTE]

check your Internet. My friend and I finished the co-op campaign the other day on Heroic and it was a blast. None of the problems you noted. And he has a 3 mbps DSL connection. we've played with me as the host (35 mbps cable) and with him as host and no problems.

The only issues with Halo is the BSP level switches which can be traumatic. I'd hit the level switch and then the game would stutter and my friend would be warped ahead of me. And then he would back up over the level switch and the game would stutter once again. Didn't help that they put some of those switches in those tight little corridors!

So we got to the point of making sure we weren't crossing back and forth at the level switches.

Halo Anniversary is just so beautiful. The terminals are amazing. We still have a few to find. We also need to go skull hunting. And definitely will be playing on Legendary this time around.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Also the grunt funeral skull makes the game a bit easier - you kill one grunt and he explodes with the strength of a plasma grenade, so a lot of enemies get taken out around with him.[/QUOTE]

totally depends... you can't do stealth executions anymore because one you whack a grunt, he'll explode and wake everyone up. you have to keep your distance from the explosions which is tough on some of the levels.

and on the level with Keyes, he's awfully gung-ho and gets killed by the explosions easily. So that was a struggle to kill the guys way way way before Keyes can get close to him (played on heroic). the "keep Keyes safe" level was by far easier with the skull off.

[quote name='dirtyvu']check your Internet. My friend and I finished the co-op campaign the other day on Heroic and it was a blast. None of the problems you noted. And he has a 3 mbps DSL connection. we've played with me as the host (35 mbps cable) and with him as host and no problems.

The only issues with Halo is the BSP level switches which can be traumatic. I'd hit the level switch and then the game would stutter and my friend would be warped ahead of me. And then he would back up over the level switch and the game would stutter once again. Didn't help that they put some of those switches in those tight little corridors!

So we got to the point of making sure we weren't crossing back and forth at the level switches.

Halo Anniversary is just so beautiful. The terminals are amazing. We still have a few to find. We also need to go skull hunting. And definitely will be playing on Legendary this time around.[/QUOTE]

When it just came out, co-op was super laggy then for everybody because of the bad netcode and rushed release date. I think they may have fixed it by now.

[quote name='dirtyvu']check your Internet.[/QUOTE]
Check my post... from almost 3 months ago.

It was awful at release, it's gotten tolerable since.

It's good ole' fashioned Halo co-op lag, the exact same shit that is found in Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST. But not in Reach, Bungie actually fixed their shit in that game. Halo Reach is just so beautiful.

Not sure whats going on but last week I tried to play online with a friend who had every map pack except the anniversary one and we could only get into Griffball matches. Bungie said they would not lock people out of online play outside of a select list or two, but it looks like they locked everyone out, or me and my friend have some bug...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Not sure whats going on but last week I tried to play online with a friend who had every map pack except the anniversary one and we could only get into Griffball matches. Bungie said they would not lock people out of online play outside of a select list or two, but it looks like they locked everyone out, or me and my friend have some bug...[/QUOTE]

it's possible the whole bungie to 343 thing is still causing hiccups in the system.

So, if I buy the map pack with Halo Reach I can play with my buds who only have the anniversary edition? (MP maps only, I know)

[quote name='ChiaEstevez']So, if I buy the map pack with Halo Reach I can play with my buds who only have the anniversary edition? (MP maps only, I know)[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Guys I have a PAL console with a US account. I am not currently in US. If I buy Anniversary map pack will I be able to download it. Or is it region locked like BO map packs which don't let us download the DLC.

Anyone have a Game on Demand version that explain to me saves? I have no save file for my game. Just the Game Install. Are they combined?

[quote name='kylerg']Anyone have a Game on Demand version that explain to me saves? I have no save file for my game. Just the Game Install. Are they combined?[/QUOTE]

I have the Games on Demand version. the game is separate from the game saves. a GoD version is pretty much the ISO copied to the hard drive.

bread's done
Back