Halo: Reach

there was nothing wrong with sword blocking, you had to time that shit perfectly. i still used to consistently murder 5+ people every time i got the sword, and blocks would rarely work for me... that said, it doesnt really matter either way.

and armor lock was annoying, when you'd be murdering someone and they randomly pop armor lock for 10 seconds or w.e

i didn't think sword blocking was unbalanced, aside from timing it perfectly it could only be done if you're facing the guy trying to cut you. there is no sword blocking from any other angle. I'm looking forward to the new maps tbh coming out w/Halo CEA.

Melee blocking the sword was stupid. With the sword, you already have to be in their face to use it, so you're already at a disadvantage. You can't block a sniper bullet or a rocket. It's a power weapon, it should be good. They nerfed the shit out of it from Halo 2. It should have been a carbon copy of how the sword worked in 2, but they should have just added the energy bar. It should be worth more than 5 kills or whatever it gets too.

[quote name='Trakan']Melee blocking the sword was stupid. With the sword, you already have to be in their face to use it, so you're already at a disadvantage. You can't block a sniper bullet or a rocket. It's a power weapon, it should be good. They nerfed the shit out of it from Halo 2. It should have been a carbon copy of how the sword worked in 2, but they should have just added the energy bar. It should be worth more than 5 kills or whatever it gets too.[/QUOTE]

The sword lunge had a much longer range in Halo 2 than in 3. I think I prefer the toned down version, honestly.

I don't have much preference either way with Sword Block. In my experience even if someone blocked a sword lunge, they would die on the second lunge anyways.

Is anyone else having issues with the Halo Reach disc that was given out for that beta test? I was playing in a game and got kicked off right after, now I can't even access Halo Reach because an error message keeps coming up saying I don't have the right version

One more difficult issue is that the very rare Halo: Reach “Preview Disc” (a tiny amount of these discs were given to certain community members and it has nothing to do with either Games on Demand versions or normal retail discs) cannot be updated with a conventional TU. 343 is hard at work trying to come up with a solution for that small, but understandably vocal group of people. - 343

they know about it, they're trying to fix it. I have a preview disc as well. Also if you bought Reach as a Games on Demand you might have this problem.

[quote name='100xp']One more difficult issue is that the very rare Halo: Reach “Preview Disc” (a tiny amount of these discs were given to certain community members and it has nothing to do with either Games on Demand versions or normal retail discs) cannot be updated with a conventional TU. 343 is hard at work trying to come up with a solution for that small, but understandably vocal group of people. - 343

they know about it, they're trying to fix it. I have a preview disc as well. Also if you bought Reach as a Games on Demand you might have this problem.[/QUOTE]

That fucking sucks.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']That fucking sucks.[/QUOTE]

i was able to do most of the dailies so I'm only 2 dailies away from the weekly. if they fix it by Saturday I'll be fine. at least they acknowledged the problem and say they're trying to fix it. I would be pissed if I had to buy another retail copy of reach since I sold mine when I got the preview disc.

343i has announced they have a resolution to the preview disc issues, and that it should be fixed next week by giving all the "preview" disc owners a key to download the Games on Demand version of Halo: Reach.

Thats pretty sweet. the disc will be useless now, right? (well except for anyone wishing to play campaign or coop without the updates).

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Taking forever to download though[/QUOTE]

you got a preview disc too?

i'm downloading it now...I heard that there was a microsoft server outage so a lot of ppl couldn't log into hotmail, i'd imagine this and probably other reasons why it's taking longer than usual. ...trickle...trickle...but that progress bar is moving.

[quote name='100xp']you got a preview disc too?

i'm downloading it now...I heard that there was a microsoft server outage so a lot of ppl couldn't log into hotmail, i'd imagine this and probably other reasons why it's taking longer than usual. ...trickle...trickle...but that progress bar is moving.[/QUOTE]

Ya I got the preview disc, taking like 4 hours to download.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Could someone please tell me the subject line of the email, please? I'm not finding it anywhere in my mailbox.[/QUOTE]

Mine says: "Resolution to the Halo: Reach Public Preview title update issue‏"

Sent Friday at 7:12 pm...hope it helps.

My guess is if they did one it would likely be around the sale of Halo: Anniversary so people will get all the other map packs, since Anniversary has new maps for Reach multiplayer.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Ya I got the preview disc, taking like 4 hours to download.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how long it took to download, I set it up background dl and turned off my xbox. I woke up the next morning and it was done...so 4 hours sounds about right. was kinda like watching paint dry. 1% every 4-10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Master Chief - Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Style in Halo Reach Right Under Our Noses
From the Main Menu, push Start
Then go to File Brower
Keep it highlighted on Temporary History
TELL ME THAT SPARTAN DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THE HALO CE ANNIVERSARY MASTER CHIEF

[quote name='MrPiggles']Anyone know if there's gonna be a Halo Reach Map pack sale anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

Both map packs are on sale right now for 400 points a piece. Deal will last one week.

From reddjoey's excellent Xbox Live Deals thread:

[quote name='reddjoey']
10/18 - Halo: Reach DLC

DLC:
-Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic
-Halo: Reach Noble Map Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to turn off custom Forge maps? I haven't played Reach in ages so I was pretty surprised to see that random maps can pop into matchmaking. I just want the originals that came with it. Is there even an option for this?

[quote name='Nealocus123']Is there any way to turn off custom Forge maps? I haven't played Reach in ages so I was pretty surprised to see that random maps can pop into matchmaking. I just want the originals that came with it. Is there even an option for this?[/QUOTE]
Forge Maps are all part of the Matchmaking rotation & can't be disabled. Some of them did ship with the game (Asylum, Hemorrhage, Paradiso, Pinnacle, The Cage/Uncaged). I know there are quite a few they've added to the MM rotation. On one hand it's nice because you have a larger selection of maps to choose from. On the other hand, a lot of the forge maps are visually kind of boring.

The only way around them is to veto/vote something else - which unfortunately isn't very easy.

Anyone play Team Swat? I've been playing a lot of it lately and I find myself getting 10 to 15 kills a match but there's always one or two guys with like 0-2 kills on my team.. If you want to play send me a friend request

I'd love to finish the campaign on Legendary co-op if anyone is up for it. I was playing with a friend but we stalled out after the first six missions and just haven't really gotten back to it.

I just bought Reach like 2 weeks ago. I had never been much of a Halo guy, but it is pretty good. Just haven't had much time to play it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'd love to finish the campaign on Legendary co-op if anyone is up for it. I was playing with a friend but we stalled out after the first six missions and just haven't really gotten back to it.[/QUOTE]
Same here, me and a friend played until the mission where you have to kill all the banshees when you're flying around in space, got too frustrated and never got back into it.. I just recently decided to play solo but I'd be up for a CAG legendary co-op session. Would be nice to finish it up on both SP and Co-Op

i still do the dailies if they aren't as random as "win 10 MM games" etc. mostly it's just grifball, FF, and campaign challenges. I played reach religiously for almost a year...when the CEA comes out, I'm sure I'll be playing it again more often. Right now it's Gears.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Two more missions until I'm done with the legendary campaign. Seems like I'm the only one still enjoying Reach, no?[/QUOTE]

Ever since the beta playlist came out, I have enjoyed Reach way more than I ever did when it came out over a year ago. The minimal to zero bloom is how the damn game should have been. Now if 343 could nerf the jetpack like they did armor lock then the game will be even better.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So the Halo 1 maps in the CE remake: are they going to be locked to that disc or will they be available separetly?[/QUOTE]

ive heard two differing stories regarding this. 1: the game will come with a voucher that will let you download the maps for use in reach or 2: you can install the maps straight from the disc to your HD to then be used in reach. either way, if you buy Anniversary, you're gonna get the maps to use in reach

Yeah, I'm very confused as to how they're handling the multiplayer and everything.. Haven't heard any official conformation on how it's going to work, I just preordered it though. Can't beat $30. It was my first xbox game and I played a ton of it with my friends, so this is a no brainer. This and MW3 for $20 after amazon credit, I should be set for a while.

I find it odd that there has been no official confirmation as to how the maps are going to be packed into Halo Anniversary. Probably to boost sales or something to that effect if the maps can indeed be installed from the disc and discarded afterwards. You would have to assume they'd just pack in redeemable codes to prevent people from just passing the disc around.

I read earlier that Reach is getting new achievements for the CEA map pack. So I'm wondering if / assuming the CEA disc will be Single Player only, and not be tied into reach at all? For example no credits for campaign completion through reach, and multi player only being playable through Reach.. You're right though, it's kind of weird how they haven't officially sounded off on this yet, especially so close to release. Don't think they would isolate non reach owners to single player only, yet that's kind of what it's sounded like..

Or maybe they have given an official word on it and I just haven't heard it? Can someone clear this up? Doesn't really matter to me either way since I have Reach, but I'm confused.

They've been kinda quiet about the whole thing. Last I read, Anniversary would be like ODST, where the second disc would just become your default MP disc.

I love how it comes out in 10 days and we're still in the dark about it.

considering CEA comes with map packs, preordering comes with the avatar outfit and funeral skull, but more importantly preordering nets you a $10 GC (or $10 off if newegg is still doing that promo) for a $39.99 game...I fine still being in the dark. I don't think it'll matter if you have Reach already.

[quote name='Corvin']They've been kinda quiet about the whole thing. Last I read, Anniversary would be like ODST, where the second disc would just become your default MP disc.

I love how it comes out in 10 days and we're still in the dark about it.[/QUOTE]
That would make sense. I just looked at the CEA achievements, and they're all Single Player. I'm going to go ahead and assume the MP will be handled just like ODST was.. Wonder if they'll have all the map packs (Noble and Defiant) like ODST did with the Halo 3 maps, the CEA + original Reach maps, or just the CEA maps?

[quote name='100xp']considering CEA comes with map packs, preordering comes with the avatar outfit and funeral skull, but more importantly preordering nets you a $10 GC (or $10 off if newegg is still doing that promo) for a $39.99 game...I fine still being in the dark. I don't think it'll matter if you have Reach already.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's how I ended up making my decision. It's still $30 at Newegg, or at least it was when I pre-ordered yesterday.

bread's done
Back