Halo: Reach

I've been playing GOW3 & finally went back to Reach to check out the TU Beta hopper. I've gotta say I really like the changes. Shield bleed makes such a huge difference.

The bloom change is awesome. I saw an improvement in my first game with the 85%, but I feel even a little more would be better. Personally I'd like to see something between the 85% bloom and zero bloom. Zero bloom is really fun, but I feel it kind of changes the dynamic of the game almost too drastically & should have its own playlist.

This video shows off some of the anniversary playlist gameplay. It has me super excited to get back to my favorite Halo map of all time. Notice the lack of fall damage & the 3-shot beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fthwBbP11QA

I'd love for this map to get into Team SWAT

^ I can do without the two portal maps. Those just weren't fun to play in the slightest.

So Hang 'em High is arguably the most popular Halo: CE map, has Bungie ever said why they hate it and wouldn't redo it for any of the other Halos?

I really want to see Foundation from Halo 2 redone. It was great for objective gametypes.

To be honest I don't really remember playing too much Halo CE multiplayer, I do remember playing Beaver Creek and Hang 'em High the most, but nothing too much outside of that.. A Halo 2 remake would sweet, I don't even want to know how many hours I sunk into the multi player of that one.

That gameplay video was sweet though, I'm getting excited for this one

I would have liked if they could have just done a Halo CE/Halo 2 360 remake similar to what PS3 collections are. But they didn't. With it being only Halo I think they should have only included Halo CE Multiplayer maps. Then when they inevitable release Halo 2 360 edition, they could have included Headlong with that.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I would have liked if they could have just done a Halo CE/Halo 2 360 remake similar to what PS3 collections are. But they didn't. [/QUOTE]

They didn't because they're not doing the simple resolution upscale and adding some anti-aliasing that those re-releases of old PS2 games are getting. They actually re-did the textures and lighting and made it possible to switch back and forth between the new, redone graphics and the original graphics without it affecting the original gameplay.

[quote name='Corvin']
So Hang 'em High is arguably the most popular Halo: CE map, has Bungie ever said why they hate it and wouldn't redo it for any of the other Halos?
[/QUOTE]
I don't think they hate it. It was re-made for Halo 2 very late in the game's life as Tombstone & influenced Longshore in Halo 3. They never seem to repeat maps for more than two games (Blood Gulch being the obvious exception). The Halo 1 maps that were re-made for Halo 2 weren't in Halo 3, & The Halo 2 maps re-made in Halo 3 aren't in Reach. They have done a bunch of "spiritual successors," sometimes for better (Valhalla, Guardian to an extent) or for worse (The Cage).

I do remember hearing in an interview with 343 that they only wanted to re-make CE/Halo 2 maps that weren't in Reach or Halo 3.

[quote name='dotCody']They didn't because they're not doing the simple resolution upscale and adding some anti-aliasing that those re-releases of old PS2 games are getting. They actually re-did the textures and lighting and made it possible to switch back and forth between the new, redone graphics and the original graphics without it affecting the original gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I understand why they did, but I'd trade the ability to switch the graphics and Kinect vocal commands for a Halo CE/2 Anniversary.

[quote name='MtlTom']I don't think they hate it. It was re-made for Halo 2 very late in the game's life as Tombstone & influenced Longshore in Halo 3. [/QUOTE]

They had nothing to do with the remake though. And Longshore? :lol: What the hell does that have in common with H'eH?

It would be nice if we could have one uber/definitive version of Halo that contains every map to date.

[quote name='Corvin']It would be nice if we could have one uber/definitive version of Halo that contains every map to date.[/QUOTE]

They'd still make us pay absurd amounts of money for old maps, y'know.

One disc, CEA only maps confirmed.
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/foconnor_haloanniversary_qa.html

HBO: What's in the package for $40? One disc, or two? Are multiplayer and campaign separated like ODST, or are both on one disc, allowing switching in a lobby instead of swapping discs? The Reach DLC is not included - but are the original Reach multiplayer maps? If the only Halo game you owned was Halo: Anniversary, what could you play, exactly?
343i: This will be one retail disc, 39.99, everything launches out of one menu. It's kind of like a one-disc ODST - obviously it doesn't have the other DLC, because most people who buy this are going to have Reach already.

It just has the 7 new maps - Reach's original multiplayer maps are not included.

If you just have Reach, and you don't want to play this, we will make these available for separate purchase eventually. We're not saying how long 'eventually' is right now, but it's not an amount of time that will upset anyone.

There will be a playlist for just these maps. Reach players will be able to directly play seamlessly in that playlist, and those maps will also be integrated into other playlists. We'll try and make a very central place to play just these maps, so there'll be a good population, but eventually they'll end up in all lists. We're going to do significant stuff with matchmaking playlists to make sure that these are respectful of original system link-type games. You know how there's a Classic playlist right now? Imagine that, but plus-plus, and some other stuff we can't talk about right now.​

It would be nice if we could have one uber/definitive version of Halo that contains every map to date.

I am very happy with the reach engine, so I really hope this is not the last DLC for it. It makes me wish this was the last Halo game, and it ended up just having a massive amount of DLC to reproduce every map from past halo games. I am happy with every map the anniversary pack will give us, although I was hoping for a few more Halo 2 maps.

[quote name='Corvin']They had nothing to do with the remake though. And Longshore? :lol: What the hell does that have in common with H'eH?

It would be nice if we could have one uber/definitive version of Halo that contains every map to date.[/QUOTE]
Longshore isn't a remake of it, but there are definitely Hang 'em High influences (link). The towers for sure are straight outta H'eH.

There were some decent Forge remakes of some H1/H2 maps in the Team Classic playlist before it got dropped. I remember the Longest, Wizard, and Lockout ones to be particularly good. Maybe we'll see some of those make a return in the Anniversary playlist?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']One disc, CEA only maps confirmed.
http://halo.bungie.org/misc/foconnor_haloanniversary_qa.html[/QUOTE]

Clear as mud.

I've read it five times and I still don't understand.

So it's one disc, but you can only play these maps("Reach's original multiplayer maps are not included.")? So to play Reach maps you have to put Reach in, but then you can't play H:CE maps? WTF? So this is an entirely independent game with online multiplayer contrary what the initial announcement? It sounds like this is H:CE + online, only the online stuff is with the Reach engine.

So are the maps exportable or not?

[quote name='Nico0020']I am very happy with the reach engine, so I really hope this is not the last DLC for it. It makes me wish this was the last Halo game, and it ended up just having a massive amount of DLC to reproduce every map from past halo games. I am happy with every map the anniversary pack will give us, although I was hoping for a few more Halo 2 maps.[/QUOTE]

I would be fine with that as well. Give us Halo 2, 3 and ODST maps over the next year or so and just hold Halo 4 for the next Xbox launch.

[quote name='Corvin']So it's one disc, but you can only play these maps("Reach's original multiplayer maps are not included.")? So to play Reach maps you have to put Reach in, but then you can't play H:CE maps? WTF? So this is an entirely independent game with online multiplayer contrary what the initial announcement? It sounds like this is H:CE + online, only the online stuff is with the Reach engine.

So are the maps exportable or not?
[/QUOTE]

Not exportable. Eventually they'll be available to purchase as DLC for people that only own Reach (hopefully at that time they'll also allow Halo: CE Anny owners to export for free, but I wouldn't hold my breath).

I'm just totally not excited by CE Anny. With only 7 online maps, I just don't understand the point. If I want multiplayer, I'll just play Reach. And I'm not so excited to replay the Halo:CE campaign to spend $30 or $40 on the game. I'm waiting this one out for at most $20, maybe $15.

BOO! So in order to play either, you've gotta do a disc swap this sucks. Guess i'll wait for it to be dlc and purchase it instead. Not going to buy a game to only play those 7 maps online and be restricted then if I wanna play reach online I gotta put that disc in. Should of just done an export of some sort Harmonix style.

[quote name='intoxicated662']BOO! So in order to play either, you've gotta do a disc swap this sucks. Guess i'll wait for it to be dlc and purchase it instead. Not going to buy a game to only play those 7 maps online and be restricted then if I wanna play reach online I gotta put that disc in. Should of just done an export of some sort Harmonix style.[/QUOTE]

They're probably afraid of tanking the value of the game doing that. You could play through the campaign quickly, then export the maps and sell/trade the copy. The used market would kill the value of new copies.

so blame the used market, the developers and publishers trying to battle that, the economy, and pirated software.

i think the best way to get your value for this is, preorder and sell the avatar outfit online asap...or don't get it at all and spend your $ on just the maps when they come out.

I'm confused. So, if I want to play through the first game again, I should get this. Eventually, these maps will be available as DLC? So, the only reason to buy this is to have the maps early (and play the single player again).

[quote name='doubledown']I'm confused. So, if I want to play through the first game again, I should get this. Eventually, these maps will be available as DLC? So, the only reason to buy this is to have the maps early (and play the single player again).[/QUOTE]

yeah...and if you preorder you get an avatar outfit (probably male and female) + the funeral grunt skull.

[quote name='doubledown']I'm confused. So, if I want to play through the first game again, I should get this. Eventually, these maps will be available as DLC? So, the only reason to buy this is to have the maps early (and play the single player again).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it.

Kinda BS they are selling us the maps twice... three times if you count the original game.

[quote name='Corvin']Sounds like it.

Kinda BS they are selling us the maps twice... three times if you count the original game.[/QUOTE]

haha, you know you don't have to buy the game and just spend your space bucks on the map packs instead.

...but I understand.

my complaint is that I found all the skulls in Halo 3 w/out the DLC then found the rest of the skull through the ODST disc but because they're from two different sources I don't get credit for it. no biggie.

I just listened to the newest 343 Sparkast the other day & they seemed to indicate that there will be an option to export/download the maps from HCEA and play them in Reach. It should prompt you when you put the HCEA disc in for the first time. They weren't super clear on exactly how this would work (whether you could do it a limited amount of times or not). I'd imagine it might be similar to how the Rock Band export works where each game has a one time voucher to export/license to a particular Xbox.

They said there will be about 4-5 new playlists that launch alongside HCEA. The ones they talked about were:

- Anniversary: Mix of Slayer/Objective on the new maps with Anniversary settings. The only objective types will be classic H1/H2 era gametypes (CTF, Assault, etc).
- BTB Anniversary: Big Team variants with the new maps & some other maps using a mix between TU Variants, Anniversary, & Zero Bloom.
- Free-for-All Anniversary:FFA gametypes using Anniversary settings (they didn't mention if this would also feature Zero Bloom or TU settings).
- Installation 04 Firefight: Pretty self explanatory.

Anniversary gametypes will have no AAs, active cammo/overshield powerups, faster speed, lower gravity.

They did indeed confirm that the maps will be available as DLC in the future at an undisclosed time.

The weighting of DLC in regular playlists should increase as well. In other words they're going to be matching DLC people together more often so the maps should start making it into the general rotation. I think this already went into effect with the Nov 1 playlist changes because I noticed I got put on DLC maps more often.

i'm really only looking fwd to the new FF map as the previous DLC had so much potential but ended up being just a large spaced out map with no map interaction, no banshee's carpet bombing the map...and it's not even used as a MM which could have had so much pontential as an invasion map or BTB.

When the pack was first announced it was said the game would be able to export the maps into Reach. I'd expect a one time use code.

The main reason I am picking this up is for the map pack. As I hated waiting for the mythic map pack they gave out early in Halo Wars. I bought ODST at launch, but the time they waited to release the Mythic 2 pack on the marketplace was ridiculous. I don't feel like going through that kind of wait.

They really need to start requiring the maps in playlists now. It is frustrating that I never find dlc maps in any playlists besides the two dedicated ones. Highlands would be a blast in big team battle, but i'm stuck with only 12 players from the DLC playlists.

I'm still on the fence about picking up CEA. I'm really just interested in the maps, but the co-op campaign is tempting. I wonder how much they plan to charge for the 7 maps once they make them available on the marketplace. Probably $20?

I've been meaning to get back to finishing up the campaign achievements.
FYI, last time I tried playing the DLC maps after I bought them on sale there was nobody in those playlists.

if you're just interested in the maps you might want to wait for a price drop when they are relesaed, both map packs dropped in price quickly...and the 2nd map pack went to half price in like 2 weeks. I was pretty pissed about that.

[quote name='100xp']if you're just interested in the maps you might want to wait for a price drop when they are relesaed, both map packs dropped in price quickly...and the 2nd map pack went to half price in like 2 weeks. I was pretty pissed about that.[/QUOTE]

They were both half off...and I missed it. Will they ever go on sale again when the new maps from anniversary come out?

[quote name='Sw33tbombs']They were both half off...and I missed it. Will they ever go on sale again when the new maps from anniversary come out?[/QUOTE]

i don't see why they wouldnt go on sale again...they've been on sale both at least twice since their release. outside of the achievement that go with it, there's no incentive to play on those maps exclusively when tons of new forge maps continue to get cycled in. If they get into the rotation I'm happy, if not I don't really miss it.

I saw the game today. It does come with a code to download the "Anniversary Map Pack". So you can do with it what you would with any other dlc.

There are two inserts. Map pack and 24 hour codes are on one. Male avatar armor, female avatar armor and grunt funeral skull codes are on the other.

The instruction "manual" is a pitiful 8 pages. I'm ready to play. Can't take it home til Monday night.

[quote name='Ziv']I saw the game today. It does come with a code to download the "Anniversary Map Pack". So you can do with it what you would with any other dlc.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Not sure where I stand on this now. I guess I'll hold off for a while, since I don't have any great desire to replay the Halo:CE campaign anytime soon. $20 or less for me, probably.

[quote name='Ziv']I saw the game today. It does come with a code to download the "Anniversary Map Pack". So you can do with it what you would with any other dlc.

There are two inserts. Map pack and 24 hour codes are on one. Male avatar armor, female avatar armor and grunt funeral skull codes are on the other.

The instruction "manual" is a pitiful 8 pages. I'm ready to play. Can't take it home til Monday night.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info. With the amount of games I'm more interested in being recently released, I guess I'm going to hold out until the maps go on the marketplace or there is a sale. This will be the first Halo game I don't see myself purchasing at launch for once.

I'm definitely a Halo fan even if I play CoD multiplayer more. I'm getting it day one because I enjoy the co-op gameplay.

Also, for those concerned, it cones with a slip cover on it.

I waited until the last minute, but I caved.

Was going to wait a few weeks on Anniversary but between the $20 credit & $10 gift card I had for Amazon, my streak of getting every Halo game on release day will remain intact.

No one did a midnight release? Oh well.

My Amazon copy should arrive later today. Do we have a Halo:CE thread? I didn't see one.

Also, the Halo Waypoint ap was getting hammered early. Almost as bad as Call of Duty Elite where I couldn't retrieve any data.

I'm planning on getting the game, but debating getting it at TRU today for an extra $10 gift card and a mini Mega Blocks figure for my son. I would assume the preorder bonus for the Master Chief avatar and in-game Grunt funeral skull perk was a print out code?

I wanted to go to the midnight release, but for the first time in a few months I was actually not scheduled a closing shift on Monday. Instead I was off. Would've gone after work and waited, but I wasn't going to go in town for one thing and use up that gas. Instead, I'll be picking it up Wednesday after work.

bread's done
Back