Happy Dreamcast Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I don't believe you but I just love looking at peoples video game collections. If you ever get around to taking video or pictures of it let me know.
He said CD-Rs. Meaning bootlegs. Dreamcast is really easy to pirate games. You don't need to mod your system at all - you just download games and burn them to CD. (I can't believe I have to explain what a CD-R is. We're fucking old.)

I've only bought two systems on launch day - the Dreamcast and the Xbox One.  The Dreamcast was an AMAZING system if you liked arcade games in particular - MvC2, Hydro Thunder, Crazy Taxi, Soul Caliber.  I also enjoyed Code Veronica, Chu Chu Rocket, and Jet Grind Radio.  This may be nostalgia, but I think the Dreamcast was the last console where a company took chances to provide different experiences.  Now everything seems to be focus-tested to 'sameness'.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said CD-Rs. Meaning bootlegs. Dreamcast is really easy to pirate games. You don't need to mod your system at all - you just download games and burn them to CD. (I can't believe I have to explain what a CD-R is. We're fucking old.)
Yeah, but that's only true if your dreamcast was produced mid-2000 or earlier. Also, the CD-Rs are ripped versions, so they don't always contain the full game if over 700 MB (and may not all self-boot).

Dreamcast 2 will launch with Nights: Majestic Flight and Skies of Arcadia 2 in Japan on 12/13/14. Word on the street is that Pier Solar HD and NFL 2K16 will be bundled with it when the system is launched in the states on 9/9/15. Seaman 2 is a rumored downloadable title.
Hey, how about Shenmue 3 so we can find out the friggin ending? Anyways, technically there was a 'Dreamcast 2' in the arcades. The original dreamcast spec was translated to arcades as 'Naomi' hardware. The successor hardware, called 'Naomi 2' was more powerful and had more memory. If you played Virtua Fighter 4, Club Kart, King of Route 66, etc. in the arcades, then you were playing 'Naomi 2' games.

Forgive me for sounding like an ass but wtf were you people when Sega needed you to BUY the Dreamcast?!

Sega has done more for the video game industry, even more than Nintendo(though Miyamoto-san has done a great deal in contributing to quality gameplay) and yet everyone here is just trying to remember fondly.

The Dreamcast had the first modem built into a system with the encouragement of online play and the last game featuring Yoshitaka Amano's artwork as well as the FIRST Co-Operative Survival Horror game(no it wasn't Resident Evil, it was "Legend Of the Seven Mansions" by Koei). The list goes on, even before.

Lets do the video game industry a favor and demand a new console by Sega. Imagine a launch lineup starting with SOA2 as well as bringing back Mizuguchi(?) and Naka-sama as well as Suzuki-sama.
Because the CD, 32X,and Saturn burned consumers so hard that even if Sega offered pure literal gold to them for cheap, not alot of people would of bought it.

sega lost the console war for a reason guys....they sucked at making consoles after the genesis.

that said skies of arcadia sucked....the story was average, the gameplay was dull(though the ship fights were fun), and the encounter rate mixed with enemies that would use escape really killed the damn game,

System was shoulders above the xbox it wasn't even funny
Dreamcast was head and shoulders above the PS2 also. But the Sony hype machine fooled everybody. The first couple years of the PS2 sucked while Dreamcast had hit after hit. No wonder Sony got so arrogant with the PS3. The Dreamcast deserved better, it's launch lineup was probably the best of all time. Such a great console.

Yeah, I remember getting a PS2 a year after it came out and I had to make do with Ico, GTA3, MGS2, GT3... Sucky, indeed.
The PS2 started to get some titles right about a year after it came out but the first year was pretty much a wasteland. Even after that it was another year or so after that until there were more than 7-10 games truly worth owning. In just over 2 years of life the Dreamcast probably put out 50 quality titles. It really wasn't close.

Before someone wants to challenge me on the 50 number too (and yes its all somewhat subjective but I'd certainly consider every one of these worth owning)

Bangai-o, Bomberman Online, Cannon Spike, Capcom vs SNK, Chu Chu Rocket, Confidential Mission, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, D2, Daytona USA

Dead or Alive 2, Dino Crisis, Dynamite Cop, Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future, Elemental Gimmick Gear, Evolution, Evolution 2, Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves, Fur Fighters, Gauntlet Legends

Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Gunbird 2, Grandia II, Grand Theft Auto 2, Gundam Side Story 0079, Hydro Thunder, Illbleed, Jet Grind Radio, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

King of Fighters Dream Match 99, Last Blade 2, Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver, Maken X, Mars Matrix, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, MDK2, NBA 2K1, NFL 2K1

NHL 2K1, Outrigger, Phantasy Star Online, Plasma Sword, Power Stone, Power Stone 2, Project justice, Quake III, Rayman 2, Ready 2 Rumble

Record of Lodoss War, Red Dog, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Samba De Amigo, Seaman, Sega GT, Sega Swirl, Shenmue

Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5, Starlancer, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III (two versions), Sword of the Berserk Guts Rage, Tech Romancer

Tokyo Xtreme Racer, The House of the Dead 2, Typing of the Dead, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Unreal Tournament, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, Virtua Tennis, Worms Armageddon, Zombie Revenge

That's 80 games and I chose to only count one games in series unless they are completely separate games (so no multiple versions of the fantastic sports games, no multiple versions of the same fighting game series or racing games unless they felt different enough to be a 'real' sequel) or I could have gone higher. I did include a few multi-console games, but only ones where at least for the time the Dreamcast had the best version available. Also, out of 80, only 13 are among that group. I also didn't count imports which would add fantastic games like Rez, Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Shenmue 2 and many more.

So no, the Dreamcast didn't fail in any way due to a lack of quality titles or anything like that. It actually didn't even really fail, it was selling quite decently (best launch in history to that point) and probably would have finished in Gamecube/Xbox territory if allowed to continue. But Sony's PS2 hype train did hurt and beyond that Sega came into it in rough shape and needed better than that.

Hey my sealed copy of Shenmue just sold on amazon after sitting on there for a few weeks. Must have been this thread that helped!

I gotta say, I also miss the dream cast and battling friends at power stone. -sad panda-

I still search for an affordable broadband adapter and an SD card adapter for my Dreamcast.  About several months ago, I bought a 3rd party Dreamcast VGA adapter. 

My eyesight isn't as good as it was when the Dreamcast was first released, so I can't really tell the difference between my Dreamcast running on my composite SDTV versus my HD monitor via VGA.

I was a huge SEGA fan back in the day. I waited over a year between the death of my beloved Saturn and the US release of the Dreamcast.

I know they still exist in name, but I miss THAT SEGA, the one that made new IP and experimented.  Now they make PC strategy games. :whistle2:/

The Dreamcast was the first console I bought with my own money. I was 15 at the time and was in the middle of my very first job as a cart boy at Marsh.

I just found my old 30ft telephone cord that I ran from the phone line to my bedroom to play online pso as a yout.

It was awesome that you could play online against PC players on the Dreamcast. I remember doing this on Unreal Tournament and some monster truck game.

Not to mention Euro version imports like Headhunter, Rez, and Shenmue 2 (which weren't released in America), and those discs that would let you play upscaled Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, and Gran Turismo 2.
bleem_logo.jpg

CaseFront.jpg

I still search for an affordable broadband adapter and an SD card adapter for my Dreamcast. About several months ago, I bought a 3rd party Dreamcast VGA adapter.

My eyesight isn't as good as it was when the Dreamcast was first released, so I can't really tell the difference between my Dreamcast running on my composite SDTV versus my HD monitor via VGA.
It is a huge difference. I had my dreamcast hooked up to a projector over sd and it was pretty blurry and washed out. Got a vga adapter and everything was crisp again, colors popped, looked almost like it was made for HD (of course depending on game, I believe some output at higher than SD resolutions when using a vga adapter).

Too bad I upgraded that projector and dont have vga input anymore

I lost many hours in college to rez and cosmic smash

Sega really only hit their peak about a year ago. Their quality improved once they went third party.

BTW I still have a DC...I play Sonic Adventure/2 on my PS3 now though. Can't find Skies of Arcadia, and still haven't found the resolve to complete Ecco the Dolphin (one of the most unique games ever made).

I really like the dreamcast and too bad the PS2 sunk it far before it's time. I still keep one hooked up in here on my hdtv and can never forget all those toy commander games of rage played between me, my nephew niece and brother. Great times. 

Sweeet!  Can't believe it's been FIFTEEN YEARS!

I really love the Saturn much more than the Dreamcast, but still, Sega's last system...

I'm SUPER glad that Sega's been publishing a ton of great games the past few years.  The Yakuza series rocks, Binary Domain, Vanquish, Total War, etc.  They're feeling more like the old Sega, which is awesome!

The PS2 started to get some titles right about a year after it came out but the first year was pretty much a wasteland. Even after that it was another year or so after that until there were more than 7-10 games truly worth owning. In just over 2 years of life the Dreamcast probably put out 50 quality titles. It really wasn't close.

Before someone wants to challenge me on the 50 number too (and yes its all somewhat subjective but I'd certainly consider every one of these worth owning)

Bangai-o, Bomberman Online, Cannon Spike, Capcom vs SNK, Chu Chu Rocket, Confidential Mission, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, D2, Daytona USA

Dead or Alive 2, Dino Crisis, Dynamite Cop, Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future, Elemental Gimmick Gear, Evolution, Evolution 2, Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves, Fur Fighters, Gauntlet Legends

Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Gunbird 2, Grandia II, Grand Theft Auto 2, Gundam Side Story 0079, Hydro Thunder, Illbleed, Jet Grind Radio, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

King of Fighters Dream Match 99, Last Blade 2, Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver, Maken X, Mars Matrix, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, MDK2, NBA 2K1, NFL 2K1

NHL 2K1, Outrigger, Phantasy Star Online, Plasma Sword, Power Stone, Power Stone 2, Project justice, Quake III, Rayman 2, Ready 2 Rumble

Record of Lodoss War, Red Dog, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Samba De Amigo, Seaman, Sega GT, Sega Swirl, Shenmue

Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5, Starlancer, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III (two versions), Sword of the Berserk Guts Rage, Tech Romancer

Tokyo Xtreme Racer, The House of the Dead 2, Typing of the Dead, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Unreal Tournament, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, Virtua Tennis, Worms Armageddon, Zombie Revenge

That's 80 games and I chose to only count one games in series unless they are completely separate games (so no multiple versions of the fantastic sports games, no multiple versions of the same fighting game series or racing games unless they felt different enough to be a 'real' sequel) or I could have gone higher. I did include a few multi-console games, but only ones where at least for the time the Dreamcast had the best version available. Also, out of 80, only 13 are among that group. I also didn't count imports which would add fantastic games like Rez, Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Shenmue 2 and many more.

So no, the Dreamcast didn't fail in any way due to a lack of quality titles or anything like that. It actually didn't even really fail, it was selling quite decently (best launch in history to that point) and probably would have finished in Gamecube/Xbox territory if allowed to continue. But Sony's PS2 hype train did hurt and beyond that Sega came into it in rough shape and needed better than that.
You should look at the 2 years in for the Japanese Dreamcast. You have to remember, the Japanese launch had almost a year on the US launch. The Dreamcast had a TERRIBLE lineup for the Japanese launch. Sega knew they were really screwed if they didn't have stellar games by the time the US launch rolled around. In comparison, the PS2 launch only had a 6 month gap between the JP and US launch. Not to mention, Sony was lackadaisical, due to their PS1 success. Sony knew that people would buy the system even if it didn't have a ton of games. Heck, a lot of people bought the system because of the cheap, built in DVD player.

But I digress, I loved both systems equally, followed by the GC, and the Xbox a distant last (so many PC ports).

What's up with Sega nowadays? There's pretty much have no announced games coming out. I can just think of Aliens and Sonic Boom. LOL

Hey everyone, have a happy dreamcast day on the anniversary of its release 15 years ago.
God I miss the Dreamcast, but the console gives me a major sad past.

When the Dreamcast was coming out, I had just graduated High School and gotten into a college.

As a reward my father ordered me the Dreamcast and 1 game from GameStop/EBGames.

When the order came, I had the DC, 2 controllers and every launch game.

When checked, the order # and everything but our address was different... meaning they had sent us someone else's order. To top things off I had a defective console which would only play games 1 out of every 19 tries, so I had to go to EBgames in Midland, MI to exhange it.

Well, my father being the super sleuth he is, thought I was trying to pull a fast one and rip him off, so he contacted my college and canceled all my classes and funding done through him, since he was paying for my first year.

I had to come home, when I got home I proved the order was not mine via the order # but we were allowed to keep it. He felt no regret for his action, but I kind of got the last laugh. When the refund check for college came, it was addressed to me and in my name...so I kept it.

He never forgave me for it, and still calls me a thief to this day. I didn't go back to college till 2003/2004.

Now, I have a masters degree in computer science (specializing in Information Assurance, Network Administration) and have more certifications than I can name.

fuck yeah. Whenever people are like "What's so special about Dreamcast?", it just means they never owned one. Anyone who did is pretty evangelical about it. When you look at something like PS2, it had like 1000 games but only 10% of them were objectively good. Dreamcast had like 300 games and 70% of them were good. That was in just a year and a half. Anyone who's skeptical should pick one up with a spindle of CD-Rs and find out what they're missing out on.

fuck yeah. Whenever people are like "What's so special about Dreamcast?", it just means they never owned one. Anyone who did is pretty evangelical about it. When you look at something like PS2, it had like 1000 games but only 10% of them were objectively good. Dreamcast had like 300 games and 70% of them were good. That was in just a year and a half. Anyone who's skeptical should pick one up with a spindle of CD-Rs and find out what they're missing out on.
I loved my Dreamcast, and had it up till I went away to college in 03/04.

Hell my friends even taught me the console can played ripped/copied games without a problem if you use the right burning program.

Mine is in the closet ha ha

Miss the sega sport games. If only the NFL didn't sign an exclusive agreement with Satan.....

I just brought a used Saturn yesterday off ebay so I could play Iron Storm... Still trying to find a complete copy of Dragon Force for reasonable price...

Dreamcast was first consoles to offer extension cords for the controllers.
Speaking of controllers don forget that fishing rod controller and those Maracas. Good times.

I almost quit gaming forever because sega went third party. I stopped gaming for 11 years until i bought my wiiU. Very sad times back in the dreamcast days, but it still a great console.

I just brought a used Saturn yesterday off ebay so I could play Iron Storm... Still trying to find a complete copy of Dragon Force for reasonable price...
God you're depressing me

In college I sold

Secret of Mana

Turtles 4

Dragon Force

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 (Black Label)
Shining Force

Xenogears (Black Label)

all for some extra christmas money....

I felt because many of them were on VC/PSN I didn't need physical anymore.

May be a dumb question, but how is Sept 10th, 2014 the 15th anniversary for a system that came out on 9/9/99? Did we miss the official day? The anniversary was actually yesterday... i remember picking mine up that morning at 5:30am at Gamestop. 

May be a dumb question, but how is Sept 10th, 2014 the 15th anniversary for a system that came out on 9/9/99? Did we miss the official day? The anniversary was actually yesterday... i remember picking mine up that morning at 5:30am at Gamestop.
Yes, it is a dumb question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back