Has a movie ever made you cry/become sad?

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I was wondering if some of the CAGS on here toward movies. I know a lot of videogames have caused me to tear up (sense of accomplishment, the fact that it's over, sad ending) such as Zelda:OoT and many also say FF:VII . So how about movies? I just saw 50 first dates and I wasn't expecting it to be so sad (Adam Sandler come on). So on a scale of 1 to 10 rate any movies that have have 1=That's a shaq-fued up ending, 5=that's depressing, and 10=made you sniffle or cry. Here's some I could think of off the top of my head.

Metropolis = 2
Ninja Scrolls = 2
Saving Private Ryan = 3
Cowboy Bebop (Series) = 4
Requiem for a Dream = 5
Passions of the Christ = 7
50 First Dates = 9
Shindler's List = 10
I am Sam = 10
Bambi = 10

Some Kind of Monster: I teared up a bit at the end when the boys went back on stage with "The Ecstacy of Gold" playing. That scene, in the movie and in real life, gets me emotional every time.

I can't think of "real" movies that made me cry. Why so many posts about crying these days?

Hey man its all within the power of the creator.

But yea, of course, i have cried watching scarface, cant think of the rest of them movies, but i cried doing alot of movies. Video games? Nah i havent cried doing none of them, sad yea, but never cried. I remember when i was playing GTA vice city on ps2 while back, i got upset hitting some of the people on the streets lol, i didnt mean to do , but it was by mistake, and i was like oh man, :(

Anyway, everyone cries, its a good feeling, so enjoy it.

I only cried at the end of Saving Private Ryan, at the cemetary scene...I usually dont get even slightly emotional at a movie. Although I will say when I was a kid, I would cry my heart out when Littlefoot's mom died, in "The Land Before Time".

In regards to the end of Saving Private Ryan...well its a very powerful scene, and after hearing the stories from the war vets in my family, well you can see where im coming from

EDIT: On a one to ten scale

Titanic - 0
Saving Private Ryan - 7
The Last Samurai - 7
Bambi - 0
Passion Of The Christ - 5

what dreams may come (9), big fish ( 8), and the anime "berserk" ( 2) gave me that lump in my throat in the end...then horrible nausea

The ending to the Cowboy Bebop series, also made me well up, because Ill be damned if Spike Speigel is'nt this generations "Clint Eastwood".

[quote name='greydemise']what dreams may come (9), big fish ( 8), and the anime "berserk" ( 2) gave me that lump in my throat in the end...then horrible nausea[/QUOTE]

I concur with Big Fish.

I tend to get affected by films in strange ways, and by films that might not generally make this list otherwise.

For instance, I was deeply emotionally affected by Memento, especially the heartbreaking scene where Leonard hires the prostitute to imitate his dead wife and use her belongings so he could pretend for a few minutes that she was still with him. That, and the beautifully melancholic idea that, for a few moments at least, he KNOWS of his hypocrisy in the neverending 'search' for the evil Jon G, and doesn't care. I found it hugely moving.

More recently, I'd mention Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, as the wonder and beauty of Joel's love for Clementine fights against the mechanic precision of the Lacuna machine to preserve his memories of love and tenderness for her. "Meet me in Montauk..." sends a shiver through me every time.

As for games, I can only think of two that honestly affected me with anything close to the magic of a film. I felt immensely attached to the two lead characters in Ico, to the point that I felt a very real sense of urgency and dread after the two are separated late in the game and you have to guide Ico back into the castle you've been trying to escape, to rescue Yorda one last time.

As well, I was hugely drawn into the struggles with reality and acceptance and guilt that plagued James Sunderland in Silent Hill 2, and the gut-punch of 'what really happened' that he finally must face when he reaches his and his wife's favorite hotel room on Toluca Lake near the end of the game. Heady stuff, and I was genuinely surprised to find out how involved and engaged I was at that moment.

3rd for Big Fish.

The all-time best/worst, though, has to be Old Yeller. If you've ever had a dog you'll weep like a baby.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Grave of the Firefiles
(the only one I can think of right now)[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing that movie title. I gotta check it out.

For me the movie The Color Purple just had me in tears towards the end of the movie. I also remember a Michael Keaton/Nicole Kidman movie called My Life. My wife and I cried and cried. I remember crying when I was a little kid watching the movie The Champ. Ricky "Silver Spoons" Schoder tears made a 9 year-old cry.

Big Fish, Tupac Resurrection, 50 First Dates(a lil bit), Terminator 2(when I was younger), Braveheart, and I'm sure a few others.

For games, FFVII and OoT gave me that feeling but not any others in recent times.

[quote name='U2K Tha Greate$t']Anyway, everyone cries, its a good feeling, so enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
That raises a pretty good question...

Does crying feel good?

"No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls." - Ingmar Bergman

[quote name='modium']"No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls." - Ingmar Bergman[/QUOTE]
Im sorry but Ingmar Bergman is completely off, Literature touches people much deeper...and theres indefinete proof

Dancer in the Dark= 100000

That's the only movie(or form of media) I've cried during in the past few years, and I was crying through about the last 2/3rds of the movie.

[quote name='Prock']I don't know about you guys, but A Walk to Remember made me tear up a little[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you admit watching such a movie. :applause:

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Im sorry but Ingmar Bergman is completely off, Literature touches people much deeper...and theres indefinete proof[/QUOTE]
Never agreed with you more, pal. Because it's so easy to measure how deeply one's soul is touched by any given work of art. Yes, I agree, there is INdefinite proof. :applause:

Cinderella Man. That guys feelings towards his family and what he will do for them no matter what it does to him. Any father would be touched by this movie.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Im sorry but Ingmar Bergman is completely off, Literature touches people much deeper...and theres indefinete proof[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I've never teared up thanks to a book since I was about 6. Besides children's books I can't think of any really sad stories, that may me produce so much raw emotion and if I did it was a comic book. There's only word description in literature, no characters on screen to turn the emotion of words into action. I think it's easier to empathize with a person on screen than it is to images from my imagination. Literature may influence people's actions more, but I think film can produce a much deeper on-the-spot emotional outpour.

The only movie that really made me cry was "The Elephant Man". That was a really sad, sad story...........

[quote name='CapAmerica']Grave of the Fireflies
(the only one I can think of right now)[/QUOTE]

Ditto! I'd say around a 9 for this.

Glory - 10
Gladiator- 6
Lost In Translation - 4
The Notebook - 6
Saving Private Ryan - 8
Finding Neverland - 6
Star Wars Episode 3 - 5
Grave Of The Fireflies - 8
September Tapes (hidden Gem Of A Film!) - 5

Can't believe no one mentioned Saikano (She, the Ultimate Weapon). I know it's a series, but still. I rarely ever cry over anything, but Saikano had me literally sobbing. Could hear me throughout the house. I had to pause the DVD until I regained control of myself. I finished the series last year, yet it still comes back to me every now and then and I tear up. I highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a good story, just be prepared for the most depressing one ever written.

[quote name='Moxio']I don't cry or feel sadness after movies. Knowing they're fake just makes me disbelieve.[/QUOTE]
How about when you were a kid? I don't remember ever crying because of a movie but I do remember getting a little sad at some when I was a kid.

I got tearful at the end of Finding Neverland when Johnny Depp is talking about the kids' mother dying (how she'll live on as long as they love and remember her). Then again, my household had recently lost the family dog due to cancer, so I wasn't feeling my usual macho self.

[quote name='DT778']How about when you were a kid? I don't remember ever crying because of a movie but I do remember getting a little sad at some when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

Hm... I don't have any recollection of sadness, but I do remember Child's Play used to screw me over.

Requiem for a Dream - 1
The first time I watched this, I sat through the credits with my jaw dropped and tears running down my face. Nothing has ever moved me quite like this movie.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 6
I'm usually not the kind to get suckered into emotional attachment via a romance story, but this was told so beautifully, and seeing Joel's memories slowly disappear while reliving them was simply powerful storytelling.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I agree with a lot, especially Big Fish, Finding Neverland, and Eternal Sunshine. One that always made me cry as a kid was The Neverending Story. The scene where Artax dies in the Swamps used to make me break down every time.

bread's done
Back