Have you ever not tipped?

You know what I really hate, and it's becoming huge in Oregon, being expected to bus my own table. You go in, pay to eat food and before getting up you're greeted by a sign that says "Thanks for bussing you're own table so that we may provide to you ever better prices and quality" right as you pass their tip jar. fuck that!

Have never NOT tipped.. if service is truly horrible, I'll leave a nominal amount like $1 just to show that they got screwed on purpose and it wasn't any kind of accident that I forgot to.

I hate the idea of tipping in ALL cases, but I've done 20% standard in restaurants as long as I can remember, having worked in service before. Some of the things servers get stiffed for are out of their control (quality of food, cook times, being short-staffed, etc). I know someone will chime in with the logic of "Well it's the servers responsibility to expedite some of these processes" but if you've never done it, you wouldn't understand how ridiculous that statement is.

That said, I think I'm going to start scaling it back. I had found a new barber about a year ago and had been tipping him $8 on a $12 cut. I was sure that he had taken me ahead of someone who was waiting longer at least once because of it, but as soon as the reverse happened to me (waited 40 minutes, he took someone who walked in 20 after me) I stopped going there (40 minute waits are BS anyway). It's all relative I guess, and should be looked at as more of an investment for establishments that you are a recurring customer at. Why am I tipping a bartender a buck a beer to reach down into the cooler right between us and hand me a bottle? Even if I get a free bottle every once in a while, I'm probably ahead of the game by tipping $2 per 3 beers.

As for the tip jar epidemic, here's my response: You need some incentive to provide good service? How about the fact that you have a fucking job and you have an agreement with your employer to do what is asked of you is your incentive to provide good service?

[quote name='drysushi']You know what I really hate, and it's becoming huge in Oregon, being expected to bus my own table. You go in, pay to eat food and before getting up you're greeted by a sign that says "Thanks for bussing you're own table so that we may provide to you ever better prices and quality" right as you pass their tip jar. fuck that![/QUOTE]

do you all still not pump your own gas there? i spent some time there and i thought that was the strangest damn thing but i did enjoy no taxes on purchases having moved from an area that at the time had 8.25 % sales tax. i dont mind tip jars as much as i do the jars for helping sick kids or curing diseases and what not. especially when someone behind the counter feels the need to point them out and ask you to "help".

[quote name='lokizz']do you all still not pump your own gas there? i spent some time there and i thought that was the strangest damn thing but i did enjoy no taxes on purchases having moved from an area that at the time had 8.25 % sales tax.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is ILLEGAL to pump you're own gas unless at a commercial station such as Pacific Pride, this was done in order to create jobs. I also do not believe in tipping your gas pumper, which a lot of people seem to do, because his job was created as a min wage job so more people had a job.

I would prefer a sales tax as opposed to the insanely high state taxes. My wife and I moved here from Texas in 2009 and the economies may as well be Earth and Jupiter.

My father worked as a waiter for most of my life and he always made sure I understood how hard the work is as well as how difficult it is. Most restaurants I eat at, I'm a regular and it's an automatic 20% and when I go out with the family and friends(we're talking groups of 10+), drinks are always on the house. There were a few occasions where service was so shitty that there was less than $1 tip though, but these were not one of the regulars.

The most recent time was when my gf did her dissertation defense and we went to a restaurant by her adviser's home. We, me and the gf, got the all you can eat crab n' ribs and only got 1 serving after asking a few times while other patrons were building piles of bones and shells, the waiter gave attitude to her adviser when his dish came out shitty, took 10 minutes to get a second serving after I talked to a manager which was 20 minutes after the initial serving, and they didn't even bother comping anything because of it. This wasn't some podunk Applebee's-like restaurant either, but a $30+ a plate place. The place wasn't even half-filled. Her adviser was super-pissed too because he was a semi-regular.

Just to balance it out the stories in this thread though, I'm going to give a story about this one time I was the fucking idiot.

Me and a group of cousins, about 12 of us, went to a local bbq joint. The food was fine, but they forgot to make someone's meal after all the dishes came out. No big deal because they rushed it out. When the check came, there was an 18% charge for tip. I know, it's considered standard, but there was nothing on the menu about parties larger than 6, so I expected 15% at the most. Anywho, I had a brain fart and it turns out that the 18% charge was really 15% after I made a huge stink about it and got it removed from the bill. I apologized to the waiter and gave 20% because I was such an asshole about it.

My issue with gratuity isn't the concept, but when people expect it like it's a damn privilege. Like I discussed in my experience before, I will tip you because I feel it's a show of goodwill. However, if you are going to be contentious about it when I tip 10% and you want 20%, then you can fuck off and get 0%.

Sometimes I wish for service systems like Japan where you're mildly insulting somebody by leaving a tip.

[quote name='Rodimus']I hope you don't go out to restaurants or have food delivered. I understand if you live (or lived) in a non-tipping country, it's an odd concept to accept. If you don't and still go out to eat or have food delivered and not tip... well, that's just not very nice.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't tip a servant, so I don't know why I'd tip a server.

Also
I'm not really serious about that. I tip if I go to a place where it's expected ;)

All these people who are flipping a shit about places like Subway and Starbucks having a tip jar out, it's TOTALLY optional to leave a tip. I don't know why you guys are feeling obligated to leave an extra buck or two. If you walk in and feel pressured to throw down some money, grow a pair and don't tip if you don't want to.

This is why I always say that people should work in the service industry at least once. Anyone that says "they make minimum wage, that's good enough" needs to get off their high :fuck:ing horse

We usually tip twice the sales tax we pay rounded up to the dollar. I do remember one instance were we only tipped $1 for outright poor service and attitude towards polite customers but thats it.

[quote name='tresyn']They receive at least minimum wage (unlike at traditional restaurants)[/QUOTE]

This isn't true universally though. In many states, traditional restaurants have to pay their servers minimum wage at least. And in the ones that don't have to, usually they have to supplement the difference if tips aren't enough to get to minimum wage.

[quote name='tresyn']What is the general philosophy on tipping at a place like Starbucks? They receive at least minimum wage (unlike at traditional restaurants) and don't really do any more work than at a fast food place. Yet I always see those prominently displayed tip cups...[/QUOTE]

You ever see the tip cups in the drive-thru windows? The Dunkin' Donuts in Illinois have a tip jar in the drive thru. I get that some people throw the coins in there because they hate change, but we have toll roads in this state. My coins!

Not very often, but recently I went out with my GF and some friends, and the service was so damn awful, from the server all the way up to the dolt of a manager, we left no tip at all. The funny thing is that I predicted it as soon as we ordered our drinks. I could remember every drink that was ordered and who it went to, and I was reading the menu and not really even paying attention. The server forgot and had to go back and get what she forgot, and it went all downhill from there. Then when the manager finally came out, he basically just said he didn't know wtf happened, over and over again.

If you frequent bars or clubs, your bound to get an A-hole bartender half of the time. Id rather just get 1 drink and not tip them. :censored:

The worse to me are Taxi drivers. I dont use them often, only when i travel, but some have the balls to ask for a tip AND in the exact amount they expect. WTF?

I always tip when people are handling my food. I know better. I always tip 10% of the bill do, have no clue whats customary. Unless im at a Korean BBQ place or something similar where people are constantly bringing / cooking your food. They easily get a $20+ tip.

[quote name='ced']Sometimes I wish for service systems like Japan where you're mildly insulting somebody by leaving a tip.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love the server work ethic in Japan. I have always received polite and prompt service from all types of resturants & fast food joints. Best of all you never tip. My first trip there (also my first trip out of the States) I found it odd they didn't tip.

There's been a few times where I only left about 10% if the service was terrible, but I can only remember one instance in which I didn't leave one at all.

Two of my friends and I ate at a local restaurant after getting off of work early. This was around 2 p.m. on a Friday, so the place was basically empty(maybe four other groups of people were there). It took 15 minutes for our waiter to take the drink order, 10 more minutes to get the drinks and have our order taken, over 20 minutes to get the food and it took 10-15 minutes waiting on a drink refill every time one of us needed one. One of my buddies had to go get his own silverware, and it took literally half an hour before we got our check(we actually had to ask another worker for one). All while watching our waiter across the room chatting up the bartender the whole time. None of us left a tip, while one of my friends wrote "No tip fuck-face" on the tip line. :lol: We never went back and the place closed about a year later.

i tip 18%- 20% if the service is good. 15% if it's standard, i.e. just doing their job but no friendly hello, smile, or personal attention. Less than 15% if the service & food is less than I expected or would normally tolerate...and I have a pretty high threshold for wait staff w/selective hearing, seeing, and pathing.

I walked out of an Applebee's w/out tipping because the waitress was beyond my threshold. I paid for my drink and left w/my girl. Sad because I used to go there every couple weeks for dinner w/friends after work. Mgt didn't even apologize they just assumed I was the reason for the wait staff's unprofessional behavior. So no more riblets for me. Oh well.

I didn't know you were suppoed to tip your barber so all throughout highschool i never tipped my barber. When I found out after college, I went back, got a hair cut, caught up on the years inbetween I didn't get my haircut there and then gave him a box of baseball cards from the early 80's. (unopened) He was taken back being a huge baseball fan and I said, I didn't know I was supposed to tip. Now when I go, which is maybe 1/year now I remember to tip well.

I am a very generous tipper..even if the service isn't great i'll still leave at least 10%...theres been two instances where I didn't leave a tip. One was a few weeks ago. This restaurant, which has always been great, but apparently there under new management now, and boy did it show. I was there for the Pacquiao-Bradley fight and its always packed there when there showing boxing ppv's. Well the place was pretty dead which should've been a sign. The food took well over an hour to get. It was good when we got it and I was like ok its not the waitress's fault. We were there about 4 hours and never got checked on. We had to practically flag the waitress down to get a refill, get some more drinks, etc. So I didn't leave them a tip. Just dreadful service. The worst i've ever experienced.

[quote name='Viol8tor']If you frequent bars or clubs, your bound to get an A-hole bartender half of the time. Id rather just get 1 drink and not tip them. :censored:

The worse to me are Taxi drivers. I dont use them often, only when i travel, but some have the balls to ask for a tip AND in the exact amount they expect. WTF?

I always tip when people are handling my food. I know better. I always tip 10% of the bill do, have no clue whats customary. Unless im at a Korean BBQ place or something similar where people are constantly bringing / cooking your food. They easily get a $20+ tip.[/QUOTE]
Standard tipping at restaurants is 15%. Although, I find it interesting that you tip $20+ at a Korean bbq joint. They must love you unless your bill is over $140.

I fully understand not tipping bad and rude service as a protest. But people who refuse to tip as a matter of course need to be slapped.

Waitstaff,etc work hard and the vast majority of them don't make a lot of money.

I always tip 20%+ unless the service is horrible and then I'll leave 12-15%. One time I was in Germany at some random restaurant with about 7 or 8 friends and we stayed for like 3 hours and drank our faces off and ate a shit ton of steak. When we left we all chipped in whatever large bills we had and it ended up being like 30% in tip money (because we didn't feel like trying to make change and each get a few dollars back or whatever). Anyway, on the way out every single person that worked there tried to thank us and shake our hands which I thought was weird - only later did we find out that you typically didn't tip in Germany (or the tipping was usually much much lower). Either way, those chicks were awesome and their beer was delicious.

I tip 25% because it's too hard to do math. Really, I can't figure out 15%. Wish it was the early 90s and you could wear calculator watches without being ragged on.

[quote name='kodave']This isn't true universally though. In many states, traditional restaurants have to pay their servers minimum wage at least. And in the ones that don't have to, usually they have to supplement the difference if tips aren't enough to get to minimum wage.[/QUOTE]
Not every state requires restaurant workers to be paid minimum wage(which here was the federal standard for the longest time, now upped to $7.15 or $7.25 by the state). I know this because I did a half shift as a dish washer at a popular diner around here back in the early 90's as a tryout. They paid me $12 for 4 hours of work, so $3 an hour.:roll: At least I got a free meal outta that 4 hour shift, but I decided that washing dishes at a place paying $3 an hour was not for me.
[quote name='100xp']I didn't know you were suppoed to tip your barber so all throughout highschool i never tipped my barber. When I found out after college, I went back, got a hair cut, caught up on the years inbetween I didn't get my haircut there and then gave him a box of baseball cards from the early 80's. (unopened) He was taken back being a huge baseball fan and I said, I didn't know I was supposed to tip. Now when I go, which is maybe 1/year now I remember to tip well.[/QUOTE]
The one barber I used to go to would charge me $12 for a fuckin' crew cut, which essentially is taking the clippers and putting on one of the shorter attachments and chopping everything off in less than five minutes.

He was an older guy, old school type of barber, but to charge $12 for a frickin' crew cut was ridiculous to me. So I just said thanks and walked out after I paid for the haircut. I'd love to make $12 for 5 minutes of work.

Just because you got an easy haircut doesnt mean you shouldn't tip him. It's not like you didn't how much the haircut cost. If you didn't want to pay at least 10% over that, then you shouldn't have sat in the chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had no idea people tipped their barbers until I was in college. After I learned that it was customary, then I usually gave a buck or two.

But like Cheapest I usually got a very short cut, and got it cut about every 2-3 weeks. Eventually I bought a $35 set of clippers from Amazon and have put my wife to the task for the past 6 years. They paid for themselves after six weeks, and haven't been to a barber since. Granted there were a couple bad haircuts, but definitely worth the money saved.

My wife is a stylist and like anything where tips are involved, your service is typically directly proportional to your tipping. I'm not saying that's right, but it's the truth. If you don't tip, my wife will get you done in 10 minutes and get to the people who will.

On another note, anybody who thinks that professions that get tipped should get tipped because they work hard is crazy. My wife has a skill but she makes upwards of 50k a year, her brother is a server in a big city and last year pulled in nearly 40k, I bar tend during the summers and easily make $1,000 a week. I am a high school teacher the rest of the year, and I do it because I enjoy it and the schedule is great for my wife and I to grow our family. I work so much harder as a teacher putting in extra time here and there, making up plans and dealing with ever changing politics that you would think I could make at least as much as a server, but I will be starting my 6th year and this will be my first year to hit 40k, now yes I have benefits and I am certainly grateful for that, but they are still $250 a month for premiums and $250 a month to cover the deductible, so at $500 total a month I still make more as a bartender.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not every state requires restaurant workers to be paid minimum wage[/QUOTE]

Which is why I didn't speak in absolutes. If you have a qualm against tipping because one way or another the employee is going to make minimum wage, you should check your state's laws to ensure this is the case or if they really need the tips to make minimum wage.

I'm shocked by the number of dudes who didn't know it was customary to tip your barber. Did you never watch your parents pay for your haircuts, or your dad (or mom) pay for their haircuts when you were a little kid? (Or did your parents just cut your hair at home?) Again, you can have your debates whether anyone should be tipped for anything, but tipping barbers and hairdressers is as common as tipping waiters in America.

[quote name='kodave']Which is why I didn't speak in absolutes. If you have a qualm against tipping because one way or another the employee is going to make minimum wage, you should check your state's laws to ensure this is the case or if they really need the tips to make minimum wage.

I'm shocked by the number of dudes who didn't know it was customary to tip your barber. Did you never watch your parents pay for your haircuts, or your dad (or mom) pay for their haircuts when you were a little kid? (Or did your parents just cut your hair at home?) Again, you can have your debates whether anyone should be tipped for anything, but tipping barbers and hairdressers is as common as tipping waiters in America.[/QUOTE]

My grandpa always took my brother and I, and no, I don't believe he ever tipped, so I never knew. I never thought of it cause it would seem as if they would just set their prices according to what they need/want.

[quote name='Habbler']Also, your mailman and the garbage men expect a gift of cash for Christmas. FYI[/QUOTE]
Good for them. Soon as the mailman stops delivering other peoples' mail to me on a regular basis and the city worker unions here stop looking for big raises and fully paid health benefits THEN I might consider giving them a tip. Otherwise, this is another fuck no from me. More like a hell fuckin' no.

Tipping originated based on service. Now-a-days in the PC era people just do it on default. I practice the old term of Tipping. So to answer the question, yes I have not tipped before.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']My wife is a stylist and like anything where tips are involved, your service is typically directly proportional to your tipping. I'm not saying that's right, but it's the truth. If you don't tip, my wife will get you done in 10 minutes and get to the people who will.

On another note, anybody who thinks that professions that get tipped should get tipped because they work hard is crazy. My wife has a skill but she makes upwards of 50k a year, her brother is a server in a big city and last year pulled in nearly 40k, I bar tend during the summers and easily make $1,000 a week. I am a high school teacher the rest of the year, and I do it because I enjoy it and the schedule is great for my wife and I to grow our family. I work so much harder as a teacher putting in extra time here and there, making up plans and dealing with ever changing politics that you would think I could make at least as much as a server, but I will be starting my 6th year and this will be my first year to hit 40k, now yes I have benefits and I am certainly grateful for that, but they are still $250 a month for premiums and $250 a month to cover the deductible, so at $500 total a month I still make more as a bartender.[/QUOTE]
It's nice that you're all making a living wage and all, but your understanding of your insurance estimate is incorrect. I'm going to assume that you work in a public school because your wage is so low(no insult meant), but the only reason why your insurance contribution is so "low" is because you're a member of a group policy that was negotiated by, I assume, a union or at least the city/county/town, etc. If you had to get a plan on your own with similar coverage, it'd more than likely cost a lot more than what you're paying now.

edit: And if you worked as a bartender fulltime, your insurance package would more than likely be different as well. Small businesses aren't really known for having awesome health benefits.

I tip everyone and I get so much better service. I always overtip. What's an extra buck or two? It means more to them than it does to me.

The ups guy never leaves my stuff in the rain. The mail man gives me a smile everyday. The barber spends an hour cutting my hair. (too long actually.). And the waiter in my favorite restaurant loves me.

Life is good if you just open up the wallet a little bit.

The only one I can't get a definitive answer on is whether to tip when takin out and how much.

Oh we've not tipped, and it's becoming more often that we don't leave a tip.

We never leave a tip at Old Country Buffet, the waitresses really do nothing there. We get our own silverware/napkins, our own food, we get our own drinks. So no point in tipping when they did nothing for us.

Other restaurants it seems are hiring people who take your order, bring your order, incorrectly, and then leave till you wave them down to get your check. In those instances we either leave a quarter or nothing. I can't tell how many times I've ordered something with say for example, no pickles, and they always bring it with whatever it is I asked them not to. Or ask for no pink on a burger and they bring it undercooked. Never leave a tip when the service is like that.

Didn't leave a tip either at a local pizza place recently. Ordered a calzone, it came refrigerator cold inside when I cut it open. Waitress took it and stuck it in the microwave. While I was indeed steaming hot, the dough turned into rubber. So def no tip left that time.

All of this makes me wonder about tipping etiquette at a casino. What do you guys think? I know usually if you're on a table and you're doing well it's not out of the ordinary to toss the dealer a few bucks. What about when you have to get an attendant to pay out at a machine?

I've read that the general thing to do in a situation like that is to tip 1% to the attendant, but the few times I've hit that limit where an attendant has to pay it I've never tipped. The minimum I believe is $1250 since you have to do a W-2. I think this probably is better suited for Las Vegas where your alcoholic drinks are complimentary and what not.

[quote name='confoosious']I tip everyone and I get so much better service. I always overtip. What's an extra buck or two? It means more to them than it does to me.

The ups guy never leaves my stuff in the rain. The mail man gives me a smile everyday. The barber spends an hour cutting my hair. (too long actually.). And the waiter in my favorite restaurant loves me.

Life is good if you just open up the wallet a little bit.[/quote]
I agree, especially if you're/they're regulars. The Japanese restaurant that I always go to always gives extra sushi and sometimes gives special appetizers and the Korean bbq place always gives extra apps and side dishes. I feel you on the barber though. Especially if all you want is a simple short cut.

The neighborhood UPS guy always comes back a couple hours later if a package needs a signature and an all around cool guy. It's amazing how far a little appreciation goes.

The only one I can't get a definitive answer on is whether to tip when takin out and how much.
I tend to only tip when I get sushi to-go, which is still 15%, but I just drop it in their cup at the bar. I'll also flip the bagger a fiver as well.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']All of this makes me wonder about tipping etiquette at a casino. What do you guys think? I know usually if you're on a table and you're doing well it's not out of the ordinary to toss the dealer a few bucks. What about when you have to get an attendant to pay out at a machine?

I've read that the general thing to do in a situation like that is to tip 1% to the attendant, but the few times I've hit that limit where an attendant has to pay it I've never tipped. The minimum I believe is $1250 since you have to do a W-2. I think this probably is better suited for Las Vegas where your alcoholic drinks are complimentary and what not.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about attendants, but if I'm down to my last couple playable chips, I'll ask the dealer if they'd like a tip or to play a hand for them, depending on the game of course. But yeah, drinks are so much easier to figure out. Can't wait to go again.

the problem with not tipping due to the quality of the food is that it's sometimes not under the control of the waiter. Yes, if it's cold and you've been waiting an hour, it's their fault. But in some cases, when it's bad quality, it's completely the chef's fault and the waiters get fucked by the chef(s) if they complain.

In that instance, I always tip the waiter their 20% and then have a word with the manager if I feel like I'm ever gonna go there again. If not, I'll just chalk it up to a shitty restaurant and not visit again.

re casinos: I tip the dealer once early and then more if I win, especially if they are friendly. craps dealers always appreciate a pass line bet or asking them their preference. Don't put down sucker bets for them. It's like throwing away THEIR money. I've never tipped a slot machine attendant.

I tip maids A LOT. That has to be a tough job.

I don't tip maitre ds because they get paid out at the end of the night by the waiters.

Basically, I tip in direct proportion to how little I'd want to be doing their job.

see, i don't know if you need to tip the bagger/order taker cause they don't work waiters wages. they're usually just some minimum wage kid anyway. I guess I would tip them if they were really nice or familiar but I don't think that's one of those necessary to tip people.

For casinos if I'm in it for the long haul on a table, I'll spot the attendants $5 to $20 depending to keep them coming back with drinks. I give dealers a few chips when I go up big and they are personable. I'm pretty sure there's no rule of thumb but that's how I roll.

[quote name='praxus07']Or ask for no pink on a burger and they bring it undercooked.[/QUOTE]

You eat your meat wrong. (Yes I realize that's a strong, borderline douchebag statement to make.) No pink on your burgers? Really? Red meat is supposed to be eaten medium rare, maybe medium at the highest. A good tip is to order your burgers medium rare at chain restaurants because if anything they'll over cook it, and hopefully at worst you'll end up with a medium burger. But I suppose since you're paying them, if you want your meat OVERcooked, they should give you that. I wouldn't be surprised if some cooks or chefs cringed at your well-done orders.

Add me to the group of people that didn't know about tipping barbers. But at the same time, I was either too young to notice, or what has been that case for the last 5-10 years, is I would have my mom or older sister cut my hair. (My sister went to school and later taught my mom, so free haircuts for me).

As far as waitstaff is concerned, I'm sure I've forgotten my fair share of times, but don't recall ever not leaving a tip on purpose. Granted, I've only started paying for my own meals maybe 4 years ago and I don't eat out much (mainly since it feels weird going to a restaurant by yourself). As for my own tipping, I generally tip pretty well if you go by percentages. Since normally I am paying only for myself, I normally tip 2-4 dollars depending where I go. (provided I didn't order any alcohol), My bill normally doesn't go past $15. Of course, this means if I go to the local diner and pay $5 for breakfast and give $2, it just means I'm leaving a 40% tip. Maybe because my mom used to be a waitress, but only tipping $1 just seems low (to me).

Of course, that's not to say I wanted to not tip the waitress at some point. I've had my share of bad experiences, but they've all been when I was not paying, so was not responsible for any of the actual tipping.

One last thing, this thread reminds me of a friend of mine. Anytime he would get really bad service (which seemed to be fairly often from the stories he told me), he would leave a tip for the waitress, but not of the traditional sense. He'd grab a pen and paper, and leave all sorts of tips. Camping tips popped up the most often, but he covered a variety of subjects.

My friends and I typically tip 20% or better at resturants. Split amongst five or six people, tipping well becomes something more managable. It the service was poor though and its a place we have no intention of returning to, a 10% to 15% tip is possible. We have had some bad situations though where drinks were not replenished, food came out wrong, and even waiting for the check for twenty plus minutes. Waiting for a check tends to irk me the most and definitely result in someone getting stiffed. This is rare though even if a lot of things go wrong as long as the waiter or waitress makes an honest attempt at rectifying the situation without appearing as if they're tending to it begrudgingly. I don't really see it as being all around shitty of me to undertip in response to a bad attitude either. I understand you may not be having the best day whether that's at work or personally. However, that's no reason to be a shitbird, I dont do it at my menial job and I'm not even working off tips.

We don't even really make good money at all but like I said, splitting a tip isn't so bad among several people.

I always tip at the barber and the bartender gets a dollar a drink, more if I ask for a hard drink to make. I feel a dollar for pouring or uncapping a beer is plenty though.

As a server I wish it was mandatory that people work a busy weekend night just once and they'll see, no one would ever complain again. I've left some bad tips for very bad service before. But some problems aka sometimes you order a no pink burger and it comes out pink, people servers don't cook please don't undertip them for that especially if they apologized, grabbed their manager and got a new one out asap.

i think the bigger end of the no tipping argument for most people is rude or shitty service. true the waiters dont control what the kitchen does but if youre told by a patron that their food isnt done properly just apologize and help them fix the problem. do what you can to smooth things over and help the customers enjoy their whatever.

but that said there are times when customers can be needy entitled asses too nobody is really right or wrong it all depends on the situation.

[quote name='lordopus99']Tipping originated based on service. Now-a-days in the PC era people just do it on default. I practice the old term of Tipping. So to answer the question, yes I have not tipped before.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think the idea of tipping is sound. It's a good incentive to treat the customer well and take care of their needs. However, I don't like how for some places it's basically given businesses a way to get out of having to pay their employees.

[quote name='pbnate88']As a server I wish it was mandatory that people work a busy weekend night just once and they'll see, no one would ever complain again. I've left some bad tips for very bad service before. But some problems aka sometimes you order a no pink burger and it comes out pink, people servers don't cook please don't undertip them for that especially if they apologized, grabbed their manager and got a new one out asap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's something I always try to keep in mind. It's not like the servers are back there cooking my food, so if it comes out horrible, I can't really fault them. Now, what they do if I complain can certainly figure into their tip. I've had some that have really gone the extra mile to make sure I'm happy and others that have done the absolute bare minimum.

[quote name='kodave']You eat your meat wrong. (Yes I realize that's a strong, borderline douchebag statement to make.) No pink on your burgers? Really? Red meat is supposed to be eaten medium rare, maybe medium at the highest. A good tip is to order your burgers medium rare at chain restaurants because if anything they'll over cook it, and hopefully at worst you'll end up with a medium burger. But I suppose since you're paying them, if you want your meat OVERcooked, they should give you that. I wouldn't be surprised if some cooks or chefs cringed at your well-done orders.[/QUOTE]

Is that why on all those celebrity chef shows, especially anything with Ramsay, they always have blood coming out of their red meats? I'm always yelling at the tv that they're going to give their customers food poisoning. To me if it's not cooked through it's raw, which equals not cooked, which equals getting the squirts from bacteria in the raw meat.

I got the whole "Pink or No Pink" thing from Red Robin, that's how the servers always ask when you order a burger here. And even there I've gotten pink, undercooked burgers. Usually they fix it right, but twice the server just nuked it, and when the manager came around I complained and got the meal free. To me when you tell a server there's a problem, the answer is not to nuke it. Same happened there with a burger cooked right, it was just really cold, when I complained the server just nuked it again.

And I forgot to mention this earlier, but at a diner here (Viewmont Diner) there's one dinner (chicken croquets) that I really like, because of the side dish, glazed carrots. For me that makes the dinner. So I ordered it one saturday afternoon, and they didn't have the carrots, so I said ok, I don't want anything then. I wasn't starving, and I'd pick up something later. I was with my Mom, and she was starving, so she ordered something for herself. As we're sitting there we could hear the waitress rather loudly telling the other wait staff and cooks that there's a guy out there throwing a fit because they didn't have the carrots. He actually doesn't want to eat because we don't have the glazed carrots!!! So we're laughing because we can't believe this, then another waitress comes over and she puts a menu in front of me and tells me there's lots of good food on the menu, why don't I order something, and she'd wait while I looked at the menu. She just kept going on and on about why don't I order something, I should eat!!! Finally had to raise my voice for her to leave. Was a terrible experience, and again, no tip.

Oh Jeez, now I keep remembering bad services past...Another time we were in another pizza place, (Dino & Francesco's) and we've eaten there maybe fifty times over the years, and my mom Always gets the texas weiners, and she always likes them. This time they came, after waiting about 20 minutes, and she said they tasted sandy, like the weiner sauce had grit in it. So I tasted it and sure enough it was very gritty, we called the waitress over, she apologized and got the owner, who then proceeded to argue with us that there was nothing wrong with the sauce, that her son made the sauce and it was fine, this went on and on, then she finally asked if my mom wanted something else instead, which she didn't, so then she says because we took two bites out one of the weiners we were going to have to pay for it, wether we ate the rest of it or not. Again, no tip there either. Wasn't the waitress' fault, but we weren't leaving any tip after the owner argued over it.

[quote name='praxus07']Is that why on all those celebrity chef shows, especially anything with Ramsay, they always have blood coming out of their red meats? I'm always yelling at the tv that they're going to give their customers food poisoning. To me if it's not cooked through it's raw, which equals not cooked, which equals getting the squirts from bacteria in the raw meat.[/QUOTE]

Raw isn't always bad.

I know it's very taboo in the west but I ate raw horse a few times. It was really good.

[quote name='Rodimus']Raw isn't always bad.

I know it's very taboo in the west but I ate raw horse a few times. It was really good.[/QUOTE]

Horse? OMG...I won't even eat sushi...or venison...let alone...OMG.....

bread's done
Back