Have you ever not tipped?

[quote name='kodave']Next thing you know you won't be able to get a burger cooked anything less than well done AND you can't have a soda over a 20 oz soda.[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone need more than 20oz of soda at a time?

What about making tipping mandatory for non-english speaking customers? (The local story is a little old but I am just curious what other think about it. I also think NY does it and possibly other places.)

"A restaurant in Hawaii is under fire for the fine print written on its menus – a message directed at non-English speaking customers. The menu reads, “A 15 percent gratuity will be added to your check for parties of six or more and for non-English speaking guests.

A restaurant spokeswoman said 99 percent of the customers are foreign tourists who, by custom, do not tip. The IRS requires that waiters pay taxes on tips – even on the tips they don’t receive – and the restaurant says it’s simply trying to retain its staff by cushioning the financial blow. Some customers are calling the forced gratuity unfair."
http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_news/201...c-gratuity-for-non-english-speaking-customers

"IRS administrative rules require they consider 8 percent of its total sales as tips, meaning waiters who did not get tipped still have to pay taxes on them."
http://ktar.com/?nid=509&sid=1383674

The restaurant’s owners, who removed the notice from their menu after a local television station reported on it, did not comment. But some other tourism-reliant businesses said they understood the restaurant’s motivation, even if they were surprised it posted the notice.
Hank Taufaasau, the owner of Hank’s Cafe Honolulu, said Asian guests often did not add a gratuity. “It’s not part of their culture,” he said. “They spend a lot of money, but they don’t tip.” Some customers, too, may come from places where gratuities are automatically added to restaurant bills.
Mr. Taufaasau emphasized that he did not approve of Keoni by Keo’s actions, but his assessment of the cultural divide was echoed by waiters and managers as well as on primers included with checks at several establishments.
At the Moana Surfrider, a Westin resort at Waikiki, the lessons come with the check — and in six languages. “Our international guests often ask about gratuities,” the primer reads in English. “Quality service is customarily acknowledged by a gratuity of 15-20 percent.”

and more examples follow..

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/us/17gratuity.html

On a side not since restaurants made me think of it....An old story but I am glad my state did this

"Hawaii was the first in the world to ban possession of shark fins meaning shark fin soup will no longer be served in the state."
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/14993446/shark-fin-ban-starts-frida

Last edited:
[quote name='bigpimpin24']I can't remember ever not tipping at a restaurant before. I'm sure it's happened once or twice but the stories escape me. I have not tipped bartenders on multiple occasions though.

First story that comes to mind is being at this local bar on a Friday night. There was about 5 different bartenders since it was pretty busy and I was tipping a buck for every beer. Later on in the night I was waiting to get served and a guy in front of me had got his drinks. I think he ordered like 3 or 4 and was going to leave a dollar. He was trying to get the attention of the bartender to give him the dollar, lol.

After that the bartender says something like "Don't waste my time with that dollar" and the guy gets mad and just takes it back. They then start arguing and the bartender ends up having the guy kicked out. I thought it was extremely rude on his part, because while it was only a dollar the guy didn't have to leave that even. After that I just ordered my beer and gave him the exact change. I figured he was too good for my dollar :p[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of an incident I had with a bar tender. I was out with a bunch of friends for a friends birthday. I told her I'd buy her a drink. She told me what she wanted and I proceeded to order it. The drink was called Two Alligators fucking. The bartender brought two by mistake. I told him I didn't order two and he insisted that I pay for both. I told him no (I assume he rang up one and was going to pocket the cash for the other). Then he started cussing at me. I called him Elroy Jetson and het got mad and told me he was going to kick my ass. He looked just like Elroy Jetson. Then he went over to one of the bouncers and started pointing at me. I told my buddy that I brought with me we're probably going to have to leave. Then the greatest thing happened, the bouncer looked at Elroy and shook his head no and walked away.

[quote name='koalak']dunno if it counts but sometimes in Buffets I don't tip... not sure if you are supposed to?[/QUOTE]

If someone is taking your dirty plates and bringing you drinks, yes, you are supposed to tip.

bread's done
Back