HD collections - discussion and speculation

It's the opposite for me, I loved Shadow, possibly my favorite game. Never got around to playing first half hour or two of Ico. Looking forward to remastered both.

I STILL do NOT see what everyone else thinks is so great about Ico. I had it when it was cheap from Sears, played it for 30-40 minutes and eventually I just got sick of dragging that helpless bitch around with me and let those shadow creatures take her ass to the underworld.:razz:

Now SOTC on the other hand, that game had some style and was pretty damn fun. But Ico...... teh repetitions x infinity.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I STILL do NOT see what everyone else thinks is so great about Ico. I had it when it was cheap from Sears, played it for 30-40 minutes and eventually I just got sick of dragging that helpless bitch around with me and let those shadow creatures take her ass to the underworld.:razz:

Now SOTC on the other hand, that game had some style and was pretty damn fun. But Ico...... teh repetitions x infinity. [/QUOTE]

ICO is like The Godfather and SotC is like Scarface. ICO is about subtlety, simplicity and emotion. SotC is about killing stuff on an epic scale.

I loved ICO and really liked SotC but not as much as ICO. SotC's concentration on action basically killed what made ICO unique and engrossing. That, and SotC was way too predictable... after killing the first colossus, you basically knew what was going to happen and the ending felt like a cheap, compromised happy ending to me.

Wow, the "HD" port of RE4 is just pure shameless, they didn't even apply any anti-aliasing. Figures with it being Crapcom and all.

Yeah, and no Plat trophy? Seriously? It's significantly better and more rewarding to play than 5, this is some bullshit.

Meh, I'm kind of a trophy whore.

I'll still get my $10 out of it like I have every other time I've bought it. If I had to pick my favorite game that was made in the 21st century so far, RE4 would stand a very good chance of winning.

I'm excited to start my Kmart coupon chain with ICO/SotC next week.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm pretty stoked they're doing this. X is my favorite Final Fantasy game. People who get pissed off are ignorant. Remastering a game in HD and completely remaking a game from scratch on a new platform are two completely different things. If they took the same amount of time/effort, you probably would be seeing a VII remake before a X remake.[/QUOTE]
Going back to this argument, rumor has it this IS a remake utilizing the FFXIII engine to redesign characters, aeons, and environments from scratch. While I'd imagine this is still an easier task than say FFVII, I stand my ground (if true) saying that this is a slap in the face to fans who obviously would have preferred a remake of VII over X.

[quote name='Jodou']Going back to this argument, rumor has it this IS a remake utilizing the FFXIII engine to redesign characters, aeons, and environments from scratch. While I'd imagine this is still an easier task than say FFVII, I stand my ground (if true) saying that this is a slap in the face to fans who obviously would have preferred a remake of VII over X.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if this is true, its more like Square saying "nanananananbooboo". Now they are just taunting everyone that want a 7 remake.

[quote name='Jodou']Going back to this argument, rumor has it this IS a remake utilizing the FFXIII engine to redesign characters, aeons, and environments from scratch. While I'd imagine this is still an easier task than say FFVII, I stand my ground (if true) saying that this is a slap in the face to fans who obviously would have preferred a remake of VII over X.[/QUOTE]

I did see this, and unless I'm reading something incorrectly, it will still take far less time/effort/money to do X than VII.

From the article:

All that is made ​​from scratch with the new engine is the design of the characters, the aeons and stage elements.

I have a hard time believing the article. I can't see Square wanting to completely remake a game from last gen.

[quote name='Trakan']I did see this, and unless I'm reading something incorrectly, it will still take far less time/effort/money to do X than VII.

From the article:

All that is made ​​from scratch with the new engine is the design of the characters, the aeons and stage elements.

I have a hard time believing the article. I can't see Square wanting to completely remake a game from last gen.[/QUOTE]
Right, which is why I stipulated that it should be easier than VII. In terms of the 'why', it may simply be a limitation or issue with porting it over. It's all speculation at this point, but food for thought.

If they can plug and play the CG, voice work, and music, that's the a big chunk of a game budget....

They know this game would print money, so why not do it?

So uh, did anyone else not have ICO ship yesterday? My response from Amazon was they got their product late and are filling them first come, first serve. Guess I'm stopping at GameStop tonight. . .

[quote name='Jodou']So uh, did anyone else not have ICO ship yesterday? My response from Amazon was they got their product late and are filling them first come, first serve. Guess I'm stopping at GameStop tonight. . .[/QUOTE]

Mine shipped. I ordered early '11 or late '10. I can't recall. I just remember looking at my "Ordered in Last 6 Months" page and not finding it. So it had to have been early '11 or late '10. I found it and at around 4pm it was only a few hours away. So hopefully I get it today.

I've been waiting for it since I beat Dead Island this weekend. Didn't want to start any other games since I'd stop playing them as soon as Ico/Shadow came in.

Edit: And even if I don't get it today, the $6(was in my Gold Box when I ordered) I save, including tax, is worth waiting an extra day since I've beaten both these games before. Now if it were Dark Souls I'd be pretty pissed.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Mine shipped. I ordered early '11 or late '10. I can't recall. I just remember looking at my "Ordered in Last 6 Months" page and not finding it. So it had to have been early '11 or late '10. I found it and at around 4pm it was only a few hours away. So hopefully I get it today.

I've been waiting for it since I beat Dead Island this weekend. Didn't want to start any other games since I'd stop playing them as soon as Ico/Shadow came in.[/QUOTE]
Nice, guess that's it for Prime sub from me. They tried to tell me it wasn't shipped with RDD because I had ordered this on 9/23 (they require 5 days beforehand? Bullshit.), which is clearly wrong since it has been on there since last year before they delayed it to now. In fact, I bet the idiot was looking at the date from last year. They want my $80, they better try VERY hard to win me back in my final month. I'm done dealing with their incompetent, lying CSRs.

Got both the God of War Origins and Ico/SotC collections today at BB. Why do the manuals for both have to suck so hard compared to their originals??? I want fucking good full color manuals. And no, I don't care about the environment and no, I don't care if it is cheaper for them since they aren't passing on any savings.

The extras are really cool, and I found the concept videos and developer interviews interesting but you can only watch them with the disc in. The 2 dynamic themes are cool, but of the 2 my favorite is the Ico one.

I'd recommend the collection even if you have both versions since the HD remake is good and stays faithful to the original. The picture is also a lot less fuzzy/blurry looking then the SD ps2 versions.

ICO - I love you but I'm stuck at the same place I got stuck in back in 2004. I think I'll puss out and use a FAQ this time.

[quote name='Halo05']ICO - I love you but I'm stuck at the same place I got stuck in back in 2004. I think I'll puss out and use a FAQ this time.[/QUOTE]

Man, why are people so against using FAQs. Sometimes you just get stuck and need a few tips, it's not a huge deal. It's not like you're cheating on a test...

I'm anxiously waiting my copy from Newegg but am also kinda nervious- I keep reading/hearing that ICO hasn't aged well but SotC is still wonderful. I know ICO wouldn't be the best controlling game (it never was) but I wondering if it's aged poorly or if the mainstream love affair of SotC has people blinded.

I will use a FAQ after another half hour of messing around with it, I'm not leaving it unbeaten again, I was pretty much done for the night anyways.

[quote name='Vinny']Man, why are people so against using FAQs. Sometimes you just get stuck and need a few tips, it's not a huge deal. It's not like you're cheating on a test...[/QUOTE]

Those people must have a lot of free time. For me, time is at a premium so if I'm stuck for more than 10 to 15 minutes, I'm looking it up. My goal is to complete as many games as possible on my ever growing game shelf, not to spend an extended period of time getting frustrated because I can't find some hidden switch or an unmarked quest item.

If it's a matter of being lost of where to go, then I see no issue with using a guide. Otherwise, a segment of a game that's conceptually difficult and has stumped me is kind of like a pride issue, and I'll be damned if I need a FAQ to figure things out.

[quote name='bearhawk72']So whoever has the Ico/SOTC game how is it? I'm on the fence about it since I own SOTC and a working PS2, but never played Ico.[/QUOTE]
If you go in expecting to be blown away by HD graphics, you'll be disappointed. However, if you just loved the games then it's a no-brainer to own this. I bought a copy at GS yesterday and blew through the first 8 colossi. It's every bit the awesome game I remember from 6 years ago, but some of the magic is lost just like watching a good old movie again. You already know what will happen, but the journey is where it's at. Best part is with the trophies I now have incentive to hunt lizards and do the time trials. It's amazing to me how the simple task of hunting those lizards REALLY adds to the game.

I've never played ICO before and I've to say, that game is awesome! I can't believe it's an aged game, it's a gem for sure, love it. I've not try SotC yet...

[quote name='Jodou']If you go in expecting to be blown away by HD graphics, you'll be disappointed. However, if you just loved the games then it's a no-brainer to own this. I bought a copy at GS yesterday and blew through the first 8 colossi. It's every bit the awesome game I remember from 6 years ago, but some of the magic is lost just like watching a good old movie again. You already know what will happen, but the journey is where it's at. Best part is with the trophies I now have incentive to hunt lizards and do the time trials. It's amazing to me how the simple task of hunting those lizards REALLY adds to the game.[/QUOTE]
Good to hear. I never got to play through SOTC, so it should be even better for me. I have to go with ICO first though as I remember it fondly. It is probably in my top 5 Ps2 games all time.

[quote name='blindinglights']Those people must have a lot of free time. For me, time is at a premium so if I'm stuck for more than 10 to 15 minutes, I'm looking it up. My goal is to complete as many games as possible on my ever growing game shelf, not to spend an extended period of time getting frustrated because I can't find some hidden switch or an unmarked quest item.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I used to figure things out when I was younger, but dont have the time to be frustrated anymore.

[quote name='wrencrest']Same here. I used to figure things out when I was younger, but dont have the time to be frustrated anymore.[/QUOTE]

I also took time to figure things out when I was younger, but then again I only got three to five new games per year and had endless amount of time to play them. Now I can buy all the games I want to buy now but lack the time between various responsibilities. I'm pretty sure I'll have plenty to do when I retire though. :D

SotC is going to be a bitch to plat. They actually did fix a few glitches, so this isn't a pure port from PS2. Diagonal jump no longer consumes very little stamina and from what I can tell, shooting the glowing tails off lizards no longer grow back. So getting to the top of the shrine requires actually maxing your stam meter this time. This isn't hard in itself, just time consuming and since I didn't gather very many lizards my first playthrough, I might need to do a second one. Same goes for the fruit trees to max your health.

Of course, the real bitch will be hard mode time trials. fuck colossus #3 in the ass. That dude is only hard because he's constantly shaking his head and your stam is fairly low thanks to the premade character you're given to do it with. I was really hoping to plat this before Dark Souls, but it's probably not going to happen.

[quote name='panzerfaust']ok ICO/SotC collection is like the best purchase I've ever made, fucking beautiful[/QUOTE]

Have you played them before? They were both really amazing back in the day and I was afraid that the high-res graphics would take away from some of the lighting/blur effects but that doesn't seem to be the case.

But what I like the most is all the bonuses they included: 2 awesome dynamic themes and lots of awesome videos but best of all, co-op in ICO.

Getting the platinum for these 2 doesn't sound easy though. I know ICO is short but I can't see how this would be beaten in under 2 hours.

i only played through SotC, I missed ICO -- very surprised it holds up so well for a decade old game, can't say i've played anything like it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i only played through SotC, I missed ICO -- very surprised it holds up so well for a decade old game, can't say i've played anything like it.[/QUOTE]

I see. Hope you enjoy it then. ICO blew my fucking mind when I played it back in the day...

[quote name='Jodou']SotC is going to be a bitch to plat. They actually did fix a few glitches, so this isn't a pure port from PS2. Diagonal jump no longer consumes very little stamina and from what I can tell, shooting the glowing tails off lizards no longer grow back. So getting to the top of the shrine requires actually maxing your stam meter this time. This isn't hard in itself, just time consuming and since I didn't gather very many lizards my first playthrough, I might need to do a second one. Same goes for the fruit trees to max your health.

Of course, the real bitch will be hard mode time trials. fuck colossus #3 in the ass. That dude is only hard because he's constantly shaking his head and your stam is fairly low thanks to the premade character you're given to do it with. I was really hoping to plat this before Dark Souls, but it's probably not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I want to Plat Deux Ex HR before I dive into this game. I'm going to have a backlog what with Dark Souls and other stuff coming out but eh, whatev.

I heard that in this edition of SotC, Wander's stability has been reduced significantly. Even the slightest tap will cause him to flail around wildly. It sucks because I was able to beat both time attacks fairly easily in the PS2 version. I'm sure it shouldn't be too bad.

First time playing ICO though, I don't know if I should start with ICO or SotC...

marathoned ICO yesterday, 6 hours long but i also kind of sucked at the puzzles (i would recommend taking your time instead of beating it in a day, it made me impatient with the game lol). it was my first time and the game is hands down a masterpiece, so you can't go wrong playing it first.

and there's no reason an early gen PS2 game should be looking like ICO does.

--

which bonus video is the Last Guardian footage on?

[quote name='IRHari']I heard that in this edition of SotC, Wander's stability has been reduced significantly. Even the slightest tap will cause him to flail around wildly. It sucks because I was able to beat both time attacks fairly easily in the PS2 version. I'm sure it shouldn't be too bad.[/QUOTE]
You know, it had been 6 years so I couldn't really say but it does feel like Wander can't hold onto shit for anything. It's so bad that I've had to find sweet spots where I can actually get an attack in, otherwise some colossus NEVER stop moving long enough for you to do anything.

I'm on my fourth playthrough now on normal trying to max out my stam, but the fucking thing is off the screen now on both sides and it just keeps growing. Does anyone know when it caps? I've already been able to climb the temple with stam to spare, so this is getting ridiculous.

Eh, the thing is the game punishes you now for charging your attack before the Colossus is done flipping out. You have to time it right if you want a powerful stab, otherwise you'll just flail around and be forced to inch his health away with tiny hits, since when you flail you've already lost so much time.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Eh, the thing is the game punishes you now for charging your attack before the Colossus is done flipping out. You have to time it right if you want a powerful stab, otherwise you'll just flail around and be forced to inch his health away with tiny hits, since when you flail you've already lost so much time.[/QUOTE]
What pisses me off is jumping to do a downward stab is way too risky, because god forbid he obey the laws of physics and actually MOVE IN THE AIR AT THE SAME VELOCITY. Far too often I find myself jumping and then being about 20 feet off my mark because the colossus was moving at the time. If I could rely on it, then there would be no problem getting hits in.

ICO/SOTC Collection:
- Played ICO. Seems fine...except the combat. It sucks. Saying something like you're supposed to run because your weapon sucks and hit detection sucks isn't a good excuse. Otherwise it's fine so far. No problems with puzzles.
- SOTC. It's SOTC...with a better framerate and changes from the EU version, meaning a lot harder. Also, the framerate probably makes the game harder as well. Three times the framerate = 1/3 the time to hold on for dear life.

God of War Origins:
- Chains of Olympus: Looks like a PS2 game upscaled for HD. Oh well, not bad. Combat is kind of off, like they didn't compensate the move from 30 fps to 60 fps. Some inputs come out twice, some don't come out at all. I don't know if it's the same for Ghost of Sparta, but I'm guess yes.

Im stuck in Ico. Im in a room with a long latter and tons of pipes across the top. I climed the latter and then climbed across pipes pulled to pull a lever. This wood thing in the corner of the room is moving up and down now. No idea what to do next...

Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget where I read it, but I think Jaysen Rubin (the head of Naughty Dog) said something about a Jak collection with Jak 1-3 coming out next year. Soooooo pumped. Wish they'd have put Jak X Racing and Last Frontier as well, but maybe they'll do a "second" HD collection with them. (never did play Last Frontier, but really liked Jak X until it broke my memory card).

[quote name='Zmonkay']Forget where I read it, but I think Jaysen Rubin (the head of Naughty Dog) said something about a Jak collection with Jak 1-3 coming out next year. Soooooo pumped. Wish they'd have put Jak X Racing and Last Frontier as well, but maybe they'll do a "second" HD collection with them. (never did play Last Frontier, but really liked Jak X until it broke my memory card).[/QUOTE]

That Jak collection would be awesome. Only a few more to make me happy... GTA, Ratchet, Onimusha...

[quote name='Dahk']Im stuck in Ico. Im in a room with a long latter and tons of pipes across the top. I climed the latter and then climbed across pipes pulled to pull a lever. This wood thing in the corner of the room is moving up and down now. No idea what to do next...

Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

Anyone?

[quote name='panzerfaust']marathoned ICO yesterday, 6 hours long but i also kind of sucked at the puzzles (i would recommend taking your time instead of beating it in a day, it made me impatient with the game lol). it was my first time and the game is hands down a masterpiece, so you can't go wrong playing it first.

and there's no reason an early gen PS2 game should be looking like ICO does.

--

which bonus video is the Last Guardian footage on?[/QUOTE]

They don't show much more Last Guardian stuff, but it is mentioned throughout all of the videos, the first two have some segments on it, but mostly it is a retrospective about ICO/SOTC, and Team ICO and Ueda mostly.

My take on ICO it is a game to be taken in at a relaxed pace, explored and let simmer (for lack of a better term) look around, appreciate the views (especially when ICO is on the castle walls, breath taking)

Yeah other than Kojima and his team (in terms of talent), I don't know how Team ICO pulled off what they did on the PS2, they have some very impressive skills on that team (especially when you consider they had never made a game before(?!?). I'm happy these two games both get a chance to shine again and be appreciated by those who overlooked them because they were last gen or "ugly" :roll: (which IMHO, they were not). Another note, I was floored by the demo movie for SOTC, not the multiplayer aspect, more than I was sad to see the monster not make its way into the full game, that would have been a cool one to have as one of them as well.

bread's done
Back