HD collections - discussion and speculation

The demo was great. I need to resist though, I'm buying the Gears 3 console. That's more than enough videogame spending for the next two months. Plus I still haven't finished God of War 2 or 3 :(

[quote name='Halo05']The demo was great. I need to resist though, I'm buying the Gears 3 console. That's more than enough videogame spending for the next two months. Plus I still haven't finished God of War 2 or 3 :([/QUOTE]

Well, when you get the chance, get it. I love the GOW remakes never got to play the PSP games or GOW2.

I'm still surprised there hasn't been a Jak or R&C Collection. GoW and Sly get them, but not Jak and R&C? Those play like crap on a BC PS3. Please Sony?

[quote name='Zmonkay']I'm still surprised there hasn't been a Jak or R&C Collection. GoW and Sly get them, but not Jak and R&C? Those play like crap on a BC PS3. Please Sony?[/QUOTE]

I would love to have both of those. Ratchet was one of those series that I just never got around to but did want to play. An HD remake would be awesome.

Final Fantasy X is getting HD remake for both vita and PS3. I never put more than hour into the game, and I dont know why.

Well after the sweet intro they make you run around some ruins and look for a piece of flint, maybe that was why.

But really it's my favorite game of all time and I'm super hyped. I've lost my PS2 copy and been dying to go back to it. Hope to see the same treatment for X-2 and XII. I wonder if it will be download only...

[quote name='retro.elite']Final Fantasy X is getting HD remake for both vita and PS3. I never put more than hour into the game, and I dont know why.[/QUOTE]

This is basically Square trolling Final Fantasy VII fans asking for a HD release. Admittedly, this will be like other last gen HD ports, as opposed to FFVII which would require an entire, proper remake to make worthwhile.

That said, I liked Final Fantasy X and look forward to this port, although it seems odd that X-2 hasn't been mentioned yet.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']This is basically Square trolling Final Fantasy VII fans asking for a HD release. Admittedly, this will be like other last gen HD ports, as opposed to FFVII which would require an entire, proper remake to make worthwhile.

That said, I liked Final Fantasy X and look forward to this port, although it seems odd that X-2 hasn't been mentioned yet.[/QUOTE]

FFX was the only FF RPG I actually completed. Im hyped to see Rikku in HD, though I am curious how they would go about doing it. Weren't they unable to improve the resolution on the CG parts of the GoW collection? FFX has a lot of CGs.

Itd be neat if they did something like add online blitzball or package it with FFX-2.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']FFX was the only FF RPG I actually completed. Im hyped to see Rikku in HD, though I am curious how they would go about doing it. Weren't they unable to improve the resolution on the CG parts of the GoW collection? FFX has a lot of CGs.

Itd be neat if they did something like add online blitzball or package it with FFX-2.[/QUOTE]

Online Blitzball, now there's an actual improvement...but Square and online just never really seems to work out properly :(

[quote name='JasonTerminator']This is basically Square trolling Final Fantasy VII fans asking for a HD release. Admittedly, this will be like other last gen HD ports, as opposed to FFVII which would require an entire, proper remake to make worthwhile.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm not even holding my breath on a VII remake, but to release X in HD is just going to piss people off. I hated X (not as much as VIII though), so this is an instant pass for me. I think this just shows that Square is not willing to put out the effort for a proper remaster and will likely do XII next and be done with it.

Really? FFX?

So they have remade every FF up to the PS1 - now they are skipping the PS1 and going right to the PS2 games?

And all we get is 7,8,9 as downloads from PSN to play on the PS3 or the PSP?

Great - Can't wait for the remake of X-2 and 12.
I played a bit of X but didn't get into it. I didn't play barbie dress up at all, and I tried so hard to get into 12 but it just bored me to tears.

Here's to the Dirge of Cerberus remake that I'm sure they got planned as well!

Way to go Squeeeee

[quote name='JasonTerminator']This is basically Square trolling Final Fantasy VII fans asking for a HD release. Admittedly, this will be like other last gen HD ports, as opposed to FFVII which would require an entire, proper remake to make worthwhile.

That said, I liked Final Fantasy X and look forward to this port, although it seems odd that X-2 hasn't been mentioned yet.[/QUOTE]

If X-2 gets a remake, I give up on life.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, I'm not even holding my breath on a VII remake, but to release X in HD is just going to piss people off. I hated X (not as much as VIII though), so this is an instant pass for me. I think this just shows that Square is not willing to put out the effort for a proper remaster and will likely do XII next and be done with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty stoked they're doing this. X is my favorite Final Fantasy game. People who get pissed off are ignorant. Remastering a game in HD and completely remaking a game from scratch on a new platform are two completely different things. If they took the same amount of time/effort, you probably would be seeing a VII remake before a X remake.

Phase brings up a good point though, I'm worried about all those CG scenes. There's a lot of them, they're pretty lengthy at times, and you can't skip them. Maybe they'll add the option to skip them with this remake which would be nice for repeat playthroughs.

[quote name='retro.elite']Final Fantasy X is getting HD remake for both vita and PS3. I never put more than hour into the game, and I dont know why.[/QUOTE]

Whoa...awesome!

What does this mean though? Is it just a rerelease with the game rendered at a higher resolution, or is it actually a remake?

I SOOOO hope it's a remake with the graphics spiffed up even more...

FF9 and 10 are IMO the best in the series, so this is awesome. Even if it's just a port, I'll almost certainly buy the Vita version :D

It's an HD version of the original like all the other PS2 HD upgrades out and coming out They should have included X-2 as well to make a collection out of it though.

Also for the VII whiners, it's no easy task releasing that in HD. They'd have to actually remake the game to do that. That's obviously a huge undertaking and a lot of pressure to ensure they don't screw something up. Putting a PS2 game in HD is less daunting. This is probably the reason why an HD MGS isn't included in the upcoming HD collection.

Oh...well, that's sort of lame, but I'm sure I'll still get the Vita one.

Yeah, that's a cool idea to include X2 as well (I wonder how that would work for the Vita though, since I assume it's going to be space constrained for a lot of games?)

Well for a FFX/X-2collection that would be for a physical release, but they could also just sell the two games separately on PSN. Similar to what they did for the GOW collection for the PS3 (both games can be purchased on PSN individually). I don't think it'll happen though since they probably would have announced it now too.

I hope Kingdom Hearts gets the HD treatment too. Square knows they can make tons of money from that, so I do see it happening eventually.

This MIGHT be good news, depending on one condition: I gotta either be able to turn off the voices or switch to japanese with subtitles or I can't play it. I really wanted to get into FFX, but I couldn't get over the voice acting. Irrational? Perhaps, but I reaalllly don't like it.

So they have remade every FF up to the PS1 - now they are skipping the PS1 and going right to the PS2 games?

I'd imagine the PS1 games would require the most work to "modernize"... FF1-6 all had sprite-based graphics which are easy to improve, the PS2 games can have their textures up-rezzed but the PS1 games had simple polygons which wouldn't necessarily look much better in HD set upon CG backgrounds which would probably come out all grainy.

I hope Kingdom Hearts gets the HD treatment too. Square knows they can make tons of money from that, so I do see it happening eventually.
Those games would look great in HD. I would hope they could take a cue from Konami and give BBS the HD treatment too.

[quote name='Trakan']People who get pissed off are ignorant. Remastering a game in HD and completely remaking a game from scratch on a new platform are two completely different things.[/QUOTE]
For sure and I'm not even gonna trip about it. It's just the way they presented it, saying they had a lot of requests for FF remakes and then they unveil X. It's like a insincere attempt to appease fans, you know?

Aside from VII and VIII, X is the bestselling FF game released so obviously there would be a good amount of demand for it to be remade.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Aside from VII and VIII, X is the bestselling FF game released so obviously there would be a good amount of money for it to be remade.[/QUOTE]
FixT.

I would play X again, though I enjoyed X-2 more.

I know most people don't share that belief, but I found the goofiness and absurdity in X-2 great.

I did like the gameplay in X2 just as much...very strong game, but the story was super disappointing to me, not least of which because it didn't even address what the very end of X meant.

The mostly recycled assets were disappointing too, although it all still looked good...and the game engine was super strong (and different from 10) so it's still well worth playing, but I'd always recommend starting with 10 or some others in the series first if you're new to it.

Who knows...maybe I'd even like it better now, story-wise!

[quote name='Jodou']For sure and I'm not even gonna trip about it. It's just the way they presented it, saying they had a lot of requests for FF remakes and then they unveil X. It's like a insincere attempt to appease fans, you know?[/QUOTE]

I disagree. FFX sold a lot of copies. It has a huge audience just like VII. Shit, until recently it was the only one that got a sequel. I definitely don't see it as insincere. If anything, they're probably gauging interest with this. If this sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to see a FFVII remake.

[quote name='grrouchie']Really? FFX?

Great - Can't wait for the remake of X-2 and 12.
I played a bit of X but didn't get into it. I didn't play barbie dress up at all, and I tried so hard to get into 12 but it just bored me to tears.

Here's to the Dirge of Cerberus remake that I'm sure they got planned as well!

Way to go Squeeeee[/QUOTE]

you people have no grasp on reality. HD upscaling a PS2 game versus remaking your favorite title from the ground up. derrrrp :drool:

yeah, they are such an evil business. go buy your PS1 FFs on the store and be thankful.

[quote name='starmask2k3']Clock tower series[/QUOTE]

No chance in hell of an HD remake or collection of these games. The first two might become PSOne Classics someday, but that's about it.

I would pay full MSRP for remakes of FF6 and FF7. FF6 is still my favorite RPG of all time and I never got to finish 7. Tried playing it again after DL it from PSN, but I just cant deal with how slow it is and the graphics have not aged well at all. Of course I say that about every PS1 game. I cant play 'em because the polys hurt my eyes now. All hail the glory of HD!

FFX is my favorite of the series. Auron cut scenes in HD!

The Yuna sending in kilika will be amazing as well. That still holds up well today so seeing that enhanced would be jaw dropping

Oh man, yeah, Auron is SUCH a badass. Like a real one, not a poser "hey look at my tatoos and how I insult you and my long hair". Auron isn't trying, he just is.

One of the coolest game characters ever IMO. Whole cast rocks (including Wakka, or whatever his name is, who I think's a great character, but I recently found out some people don't like, for some reason).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh man, yeah, Auron is SUCH a badass. Like a real one, not a poser "hey look at my tatoos and how I insult you and my long hair". Auron isn't trying, he just is.

One of the coolest game characters ever IMO. Whole cast rocks (including Wakka, or whatever his name is, who I think's a great character, but I recently found out some people don't like, for some reason).[/QUOTE]

Oh I hated Wakka. The way he talked, the way he looked, his attacks. Bah.

I would rather see Sony release a PS2 with an HDMI port, memory cards that use snapshot storage instead of just overwriting and corrupting themselves, and 1080P upscaling.

No Blu-ray, no feather-weight wireless controller, no remakes of the games.

[quote name='pjarvi']I would rather see Sony release a PS2 with an HDMI port, memory cards that use snapshot storage instead of just overwriting and corrupting themselves, and 1080P upscaling. es.[/QUOTE]

That's the dumbest thing I've read in quite some time.

Really exited for the FFX remake. I remember playing this when i was around 13 and getting really emotional at the ending lol. First FF game i ever played and loved it. I wished they would have bundle it with X-2 though. I know a lot of people hated it, but it would have been nice to have them both on one disk. Can't wait to play some Blitzball in HD!!!

I would love to see an HD remake of Burnout 3: Takedown, which was the best BO by far if you liked playing Road Rage. Any other of the BOs (Point of Impact, Revenge, Dominator) would just be icing on the cake.

[quote name='RCS0926']I would love to see an HD remake of Burnout 3: Takedown, which was the best BO by far if you liked playing Road Rage. Any other of the BOs (Point of Impact, Revenge, Dominator) would just be icing on the cake.[/QUOTE]

Revenge had an Xbox 360 release, if you want an HD Burnout that's not Paradise.

Personally, I'd like Criterion to make Black 2, but an HD collection of Burnout 3 and Black would be nice as well I suppose.

anybody playing the GOW: O collection?

I played for like 30 (chains of olympus)mins straight, had to study and didn't see a save option so I thought it did it automatically. Went back on it right now and there was so save file.

Are saves manual and I just didn't reach one yet?

[quote name='wrencrest']I would pay full MSRP for remakes of FF6 and FF7. FF6 is still my favorite RPG of all time and I never got to finish 7. Tried playing it again after DL it from PSN, but I just cant deal with how slow it is and the graphics have not aged well at all. Of course I say that about every PS1 game. I cant play 'em because the polys hurt my eyes now. All hail the glory of HD![/QUOTE]

I would too, FFVI is my favorite FF game and both FFVI/VII are two of my favorite RPGs but I think it's safe to say that it probably won't happen. When I saw III & IV get remade for the DS, I figured there was a chance that VI would get the same treatment but no such luck.

I'm guessing we'll get HD versions of all PS2 FFs, which is kinda sad considering how none of them were all that great.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's also not very sad considering how good they are.

Conflict.[/QUOTE]

Right... they're good, not great. I don't see any conflict here.;)

[quote name='Brainberry'] anybody playing the GOW: O collection?

I played for like 30 (chains of olympus)mins straight, had to study and didn't see a save option so I thought it did it automatically. Went back on it right now and there was so save file.

Are saves manual and I just didn't reach one yet?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's been manual for every game, except for GoW3.

Finished up Chains of Olympus today, pretty short, but not too bad. It'll be hard on Hard mode, but Zeus' Gauntlet is so powerful it should be pretty easy.

[quote name='Blank Earth']I love older games. I also love HD stuff. I should be thrilled about all these HD collections being announced for PS3, but so far I'm cynical. Whenever I read about a new one, my first thought is usually: "What am I going to do with my originals if I buy the new versions? Trade them to Amazon for $0.25 credit?"[/QUOTE]

These re-releases are for people who never got a chance to play and experience these discontinued games.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Oh I hated Wakka. The way he talked, the way he looked, his attacks. Bah.[/QUOTE]

you don't like Wakka, bra? You betta not be Al Bhed too ya.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's also not very sad considering how good they are.

Conflict.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, I loved them. I even think 12 is really good.

[quote name='Vinny']Right... they're good, not great. I don't see any conflict here.;)[/QUOTE]

They are the best of the franchise. No conflict at all :cool:

bread's done
Back