HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks, I totally missed that shipping page. Looks like I got in on an awesome deal![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty awesome since Amazon still sells the combo Good Shepherd for $18.

EzyDVD has been very good to me over the past few weeks. First I picked up The Holiday and Leaving Las Vegas for $19.19 during their first Beat The Bomb sale and than I grabbed Into The Wild for $11.79 during it's first price drop.

Can't beat 3 movies for $10.33 per movie after shipping from another country.

[quote name='evilkittytits']Wow, thanks for the heads-up on EzyDVD... I picked up 5 movies for 33.00 after shipping! :)[/quote]

Are you sure you got 5 HD DVD movies for $33.00 after shipping? Unless you live in AU, the shipping rate is pretty steep for 5 movies. I think in US dollars it is at least another $23, which would make your total to about $56 for 5 movies (if you live in the US)...still not bad at $11.20 per movie. Your receipt does not show your shipping price on it unfortunately, only the price of your movies. If you are shipping out of AU, you might want to double check how much your total really is. But even with the shipping charge, you still got a good deal for 5 HD movies.

I got Mr. Bean's Holiday HD and Into the Wild HD both for $21 US after shipping charges, so that's about $10.50 per movie. Not too bad considering Into the Wild is pretty new and still goes for about $20 in store in the US. I wanted combo format for Mr. Bean's Holiday but I don't feel like paying $17 in store plus tax for it.

Shipping should have been $5.50.

I picked up Battlestar Galactica Season 1 for $30ish. Score.

Also, I love your sig, LinkinPrime. SotY's one of my favorite bands, and I'm seeing them again in three weeks.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']ezydvd dropped their HD DVD prices even lower & they have Into The Wild for those who were looking for it.:
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/promo.zml?pid=755&ddat=1&dsal=1&dreg=1&dper=1

Picked up The Frighteners and The Good Sheperd for a total of $11.61 USD.

Though not sure how much for shipping since it didn't state...:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

AU$9.50 for 2 titles

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/extra/shipping.zml

So your overall price should be, $22.08 AUD which is $20.23 USD.

----------------

I bought and recieved my Into The Wild awhile ago. It seems to be the same thing as the US release only in a thicker case so it was a good deal in my book.

[quote name='Sporadic']AU$9.50 for 2 titles

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/extra/shipping.zml

So your overall price should be, $22.08 AUD which is $20.23 USD.

----------------

I bought and recieved my Into The Wild awhile ago. It seems to be the same thing as the US release only in a thicker case so it was a good deal in my book.[/quote]

Thanks, I totally missed that shipping page. Looks like I got in on an awesome deal!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks, I totally missed that shipping page. Looks like I got in on an awesome deal![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty awesome since Amazon still sells the combo Good Shepherd for $18.

EzyDVD has been very good to me over the past few weeks. First I picked up The Holiday and Leaving Las Vegas for $19.19 during their first Beat The Bomb sale and than I grabbed Into The Wild for $11.79 during it's first price drop.

Can't beat 3 movies for $10.33 per movie after shipping from another country.

[quote name='evilkittytits']Wow, thanks for the heads-up on EzyDVD... I picked up 5 movies for 33.00 after shipping! :)[/quote]

Are you sure you got 5 HD DVD movies for $33.00 after shipping? Unless you live in AU, the shipping rate is pretty steep for 5 movies. I think in US dollars it is at least another $23, which would make your total to about $56 for 5 movies (if you live in the US)...still not bad at $11.20 per movie. Your receipt does not show your shipping price on it unfortunately, only the price of your movies. If you are shipping out of AU, you might want to double check how much your total really is. But even with the shipping charge, you still got a good deal for 5 HD movies.

I got Mr. Bean's Holiday HD and Into the Wild HD both for $21 US after shipping charges, so that's about $10.50 per movie. Not too bad considering Into the Wild is pretty new and still goes for about $20 in store in the US. I wanted combo format for Mr. Bean's Holiday but I don't feel like paying $17 in store plus tax for it.

i called the 800 number to check my order and.....its in "processing"
looks like the official reason is "due to the large number of requests processing can take up to an extra 3 weeks"
damnit.

is there any reason why the hd dvd add on for the 360 is still full price at Target? I tried to get one for backup today and it rang up $179.99. Weird.

[quote name='kleptoix']is there any reason why the hd dvd add on for the 360 is still full price at Target? I tried to get one for backup today and it rang up $179.99. Weird.[/QUOTE]

Looks like that memo on the TPS reports didn't get to Target. ;)

Man, what bullshit. I sent mine in December. I just called the #, and they stated that they sent back a letter on the 5th of march (that I did not receive, btw) stating that I am not qualified due to there not being a date on the receipt. I'm looking at the receipt.. and the date is at the bottom. The date was written on the freaking form. To make matters worse, they mailed back the original UPC code. So.. I didn't receive the letter or the code off of the box of the player back, and I'm fucked. Thanks Toshiba, see if I ever put a dime of my money towards your company ever again.

According to them, I can't do anything unless my original UPC magically appears in my mailbox.

Well according to the Toshiba 800 number my rebate is in "final processing." I got a feeling that I'll get at least one substitution but we'll see.

The number is 1-800-405-7520 btw. Got an woman right away after a few rings.

My picks:

Italian Job (remake)
The Hulk
Full Metal Jacket (most likely will be Deluxe Edition)
Firewall
Darkman

I haven't been keeping up but has anyone get something else in its place on any of these yet aside from the obvious change in version for Full Metal Jacket?

[quote name='Demolition Man']Well according to the Toshiba 800 number my rebate is in "final processing." I got a feeling that I'll get at least one substitution but we'll see.

The number is 1-800-405-7520 btw. Got an woman right away after a few rings.

My picks:

Italian Job (remake)
The Hulk
Full Metal Jacket (most likely will be Deluxe Edition)
Firewall
Darkman

I haven't been keeping up but has anyone get something else in its place on any of these yet aside from the obvious change in version for Full Metal Jacket?[/QUOTE]

I read over at AVS that Firewall is being subbed by The Departed and Darkman is being subbed by either Doom, Waist Deep, Bulletproof or Red Dragon

I'd take that with a grain of salt though, you maybe one of the lucky ones who gets the movies you selected.

I actually am hoping that I get some subs. This is for my second player and between my friend and I we already have most of the decent titles.

Found one BB that I went to today that had lots of HD-DVD's, and also had the "30% all HD-DVDs" banner.

Big issue is that they all were retail price.

[quote name='Sporadic']I read over at AVS that Firewall is being subbed by The Departed and Darkman is being subbed by either Doom, Waist Deep, Bulletproof or Red Dragon[/QUOTE]

The Departed would be a nice sub. However.... geez, couldn't they of picked any more shitter movies than those four?

[quote name='shrike4242']Found one BB that I went to today that had lots of HD-DVD's, and also had the "30% all HD-DVDs" banner.

Big issue is that they all were retail price.[/quote]

Well, that's the same situation I faced when CC had 50% off. Even that only brought most of the titles to a buck or two cheaper than Amazon. I'd die for a true HD-DVD clearance somewhere...well, my credit would...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, that's the same situation I faced when CC had 50% off. Even that only brought most of the titles to a buck or two cheaper than Amazon. I'd die for a true HD-DVD clearance somewhere...well, my credit would...[/quote]There was a guy there looking them over, and I told him that very thing.

Told him the wonders of www.dvdpricesearch.com, among other sites.

There was a guy there looking them over, and I told him that very thing.

Yeah, I was amazed at the amount of people bumping and pushing to get at these HD-DVDs, like they were a $1. I mean, I understand that most people don't know about sites like CAG or whatever, but still, Amazon isn't exactly a "secret" of the internet. Getting a good deal is not that hard nowadays.

My Circuit City still has a reasonable selection of titles left. I've got prety much what I want already. Is the movie Dead Silence worth $19.99 after them matching their website's price? I think I more want to see that movie than want it on HD DVD. Thanks in advance.

I really wish there would be a good sale on HD-DVDs. I'd really like to pick up a few of these, but I don't like spending more than $5 on a movie unless it is really good or a TV/anime series. I got Planet Earth on HD-DVD and the only others I'm really interested in are Dune and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I got a PS3 now and wonder how much I should bother with HD-DVDs.

[quote name='erehwon']I really wish there would be a good sale on HD-DVDs. I'd really like to pick up a few of these, but I don't like spending more than $5 on a movie unless it is really good or a TV/anime series. I got Planet Earth on HD-DVD and the only others I'm really interested in are Dune and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I got a PS3 now and wonder how much I should bother with HD-DVDs.[/QUOTE]

More than $5 :lol: good luck getting any movies at that price....Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

[quote name='Sporadic']More than $5 :lol: good luck getting any movies at that price....Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know. Most movies really aren't worth more than that to me.

I still maintain that these studios will probably destroy the stock once it's sent back. They'd rather do that than clear them out for a few dollars.

Does anyone know the for sure replacements for certain titles on the 5 free deal? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is now a Harry Potter movie. Darkman is replaced by Red Dragon I think. The Frighteners is being replaced by Doom. Troy is replaced by Alexander Revisited. Firewall is replaced by I have no idea. All of a sudden I'm not getting as much help on their 800 number. They're just giving me the info on original titles I selected. Troy, Firewall, Full Metal Jacket, The Hulk, Aeon Flux, Babel, Pitch Black, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Frighteners, and Darkman is what they told me I'd get. 2 separate orders of cousre.

[quote name='darkasian']Does anyone know the for sure replacements for certain titles on the 5 free deal? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is now a Harry Potter movie. Darkman is replaced by Red Dragon I think. The Frighteners is being replaced by Doom. Troy is replaced by Alexander Revisited. Firewall is replaced by I have no idea. All of a sudden I'm not getting as much help on their 800 number. They're just giving me the info on original titles I selected. Troy, Firewall, Full Metal Jacket, The Hulk, Aeon Flux, Babel, Pitch Black, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Frighteners, and Darkman is what they told me I'd get. 2 separate orders of cousre.[/quote]

It varies actually. Check out the last pages of the HD DVD rebate discussion here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148214&page=35

[quote name='darkasian']My Circuit City still has a reasonable selection of titles left. I've got prety much what I want already. Is the movie Dead Silence worth $19.99 after them matching their website's price? I think I more want to see that movie than want it on HD DVD. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

No that movie is horrible IMO. I remember walking out of the theatre and a bunch of people were yelling they wanted their money back.

[quote name='darkasian']Does anyone know the for sure replacements for certain titles on the 5 free deal? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is now a Harry Potter movie. Darkman is replaced by Red Dragon I think. The Frighteners is being replaced by Doom. Troy is replaced by Alexander Revisited. Firewall is replaced by I have no idea. All of a sudden I'm not getting as much help on their 800 number. They're just giving me the info on original titles I selected. Troy, Firewall, Full Metal Jacket, The Hulk, Aeon Flux, Babel, Pitch Black, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Frighteners, and Darkman is what they told me I'd get. 2 separate orders of cousre.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the reason why they aren't telling you which movies you are getting as replacements is that even the replacement movie can be replaced by something else at any given point. Think about it... an free movie is replaced by something which is replaced again by something else. That's how fucking crazy this promotion has been.

Really nice girl pick up the line at the 800 number (Lauren) and confirmed that I will be getting my DVD's and told me what I was getting

Charlie and the Chocolate Facotry
Babel
Pitch Black
Frighteners
Troy

I had only picked one of those movies :(

On Sunday, I swung by my target and got Lucky Number SLeven for 10 bucks.

Today, I went in to grab the Batman Begins that was sitting there, and they had pulled ALL their HD-DVDs. I don't know if it's company wide, but this was at the North Frisco, TX Target.

[quote name='reibeatall']On Sunday, I swung by my target and got Lucky Number SLeven for 10 bucks.

Today, I went in to grab the Batman Begins that was sitting there, and they had pulled ALL their HD-DVDs. I don't know if it's company wide, but this was at the North Frisco, TX Target.[/quote]Two Targets I went to over this past weekend, one had a couple of HD-DVD's left, the other one had none.

[quote name='shrike4242']Two Targets I went to over this past weekend, one had a couple of HD-DVD's left, the other one had none.[/quote]

they are gone here now too. i even work at target and i don't know what happened to them.

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']they are gone here now too. i even work at target and i don't know what happened to them.[/QUOTE]

They were taken off planogram with tuesday's entertainment revision. The stores will still have them in the backroom for a few week until they get shipped back.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']They were taken off planogram with tuesday's entertainment revision. The stores will still have them in the backroom for a few week until they get shipped back.[/QUOTE]

So what about people who want to buy them until they are shipped back? Why not put them on one of the clearance racks or something until then. Better than letting them sit in the back. Can't make money that way.

[quote name='guyver2077']nice to see update.. the drive actually gets a lot of use on my pc[/QUOTE]

What player do you use for on the PC?

For some reason, when I tried one program (I forgot the name) all my microsoft applications got wiped...WIndows Movie Maker, etc etc.

[quote name='Demolition Man']So what about people who want to buy them until they are shipped back? Why not put them on one of the clearance racks or something until then. Better than letting them sit in the back. Can't make money that way.[/QUOTE]

They'll more than likely make more money in the merchandise drop write-off sheets, with a company buying them back, or 'lost/stolen' write-off sheets than selling them on clearance.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']They'll more than likely make more money in the merchandise drop write-off sheets, with a company buying them back, or 'lost/stolen' write-off sheets than selling them on clearance.[/QUOTE]

True on that. Not that the few Target stores I've been to lately have had much for HD-DVD to speak of anyways.

Are there any HD-DVDs that I should focus on picking up? I'm just wondering if there will be some movies that won't make the move to blu-ray for a long time. I just received my 60 gig PS3 from gamefunk, so I can play both formats now. I'm just a little unsure of how much buying I'll do for HD-DVD.

bread's done
Back