Hearthstone: CAG-Style

Can you please explain what is so great about having to trade 4 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 on average and not being able to cash out if you decided you no longer wish to play the game.
It's a free to play game. The economy has to be tilted towards "the house" to make it work. As for "cashing out," I'm not familiar with any f2p digital game that allows for cashing out.

Can you please explain what is so great about having to trade 4 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 on average and...
Sure. Their blog post on the matter pretty much sums it up:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/10245930/hearthstone-crafting-in-dust-we-trust-6-20-2013

In addition to everything they talk about in that post, I like earning my cards myself. I don't like feeling like I'm at a disadvantage if I don't frequent trading forums, making sure I have "friends" in high places and being part of "elite" communities, and cheat and/or game the system by multi-accounting and other means.

...and not being able to cash out if you decided you no longer wish to play the game.
because real money trade sucks. Sucks hard.

Just got my first legendary, btw (in a card pack). The Black Knight. Pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been slowly unlocking cards by buying packs for 100 Gold - I haven't paid for anything so I don't have any legendaries yet.
I really recommend not buying card packs, but instead doing the arena. Even if you lose every single game, you still come out with a card pack and 25+ gold/dust or an extra card. 2-3 wins and you're basically guaranteed to break even. And it places you on the exact same playing field as everyone else. And the more you'll play, the better you'll get. If you can get to 7 wins, you'll get your entire buyin back, plus lots of other rewards.

It's a free to play game. The economy has to be tilted towards "the house" to make it work. As for "cashing out," I'm not familiar with any f2p digital game that allows for cashing out.
There are ways to tilt it torwads the house well still letting you trade and sell stuff(see steam). I'm sure there are (wasn't there some fps going around where you could by and sell equipment?) and even if there aren't is that a reason to not do it?

I wouldn't use blizzards post as a reason as it's kind of tottally bullshit. Do you really expect the company that made that choice, to only make points that can stand on their own?

1. Blizzards system only make it easier to get cards if you are building one deck, if you want to be able to adapt to the meta or play mutlitple decks (basically to be competitive) you are going to need most of the cards which means you're going to have to open far more packs than if you could trade.

This is espiscally true as Blizzard can easily change cards after they're printed to correct their power, meaning the vaule of the cards would be in a closer range than in a CCG like magic.

2. Just because you allow for trades doesn't mean that you can't have a sink in your econnomy if cards could simply be scrapped for a few gold or they keep the dust crafting system but instead of crafting cards you crafted "hats" or access to something it would keep the vaule of cards from bottoming out.

3. The argument that is quicker to get cards is rather f[SIZE=10.5pt]allacious, sure once you grind for enough cards it's easy to exchange them, but your going to spend much more time grinding when the trades are always 4:1.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Also if the simply had a market you'd be able change cards into gold and back almost as fast.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]In addition to everything they talk about in that post, I like earning my cards myself. I don't like feeling like I'm at a disadvantage if I don't frequent trading forums, making sure I have "friends" in high places and being part of "elite" communities, and cheat and/or game the system by multi-accounting and other means[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]You're already at a disadvantage if you're not spending hundreds of dollars or hundred of hours gridning, I'm not seeing how trading puts you at more of a disadvantage than that. Basically you have a system now where you get ripped off in every trade.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]because real money trade sucks. Sucks hard.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So if you decide you no longer want to play the game it's much better to get nothing than to get money??[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I really recommend not buying card packs, but instead doing the arena. Even if you lose every single game, you still come out with a card pack and 25+ gold/dust or an extra card. 2-3 wins and you're basically guaranteed to break even. And it places you on the exact same playing field as everyone else. And the more you'll play, the better you'll get. If you can get to 7 wins, you'll get your entire buyin back, plus lots of other rewards.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I'd actully recommend against the arena unless you have alot of free time or particully enjoy it, well it may be a more effecient use of your gold spending an hour to be up 25 gold is not an effecient use of time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'd actully recommend against the arena unless you have alot of free time or particully enjoy it, well it may be a more effecient use of your gold spending an hour to be up 25 gold is not an effecient use of time.[/SIZE]
You forgot that the game is actually fun to play for some of us.

My last two arena runs, I went 8-3 (paladin) and 9-3 (druid). For a total of 300 gold, I got a return of: 445 gold, 2 card packs, and 2 golden cards. And you know what? I actually had fun doing it.

I cannot connect to Hearthstone right now. It is super annoying! Anyone else having problems?
There was a queue when I tried to log in. First time I've seen that (It seems to be shared between all battle.net games, but I've never played any other ones recently). Was having trouble connecting at first (probably about the time you posted your post), but then was able to log in and had no problems playing a couple of games.

You forgot that the game is actually fun to play for some of us.

My last two arena runs, I went 8-3 (paladin) and 9-3 (druid). For a total of 300 gold, I got a return of: 445 gold, 2 card packs, and 2 golden cards. And you know what? I actually had fun doing it.
I enjoy the game but I don't enjoy the arena.

The ranked games were fine but the drafting is terrible, they inject way too much luck into it. The classes are not balanced, which wouldn't be a problem if the class choice weren't semi random. The quality of the cards varies from godly to complete crap, and as all the cards are random rather than passed to you from other players you can't table cards or move into strategies that are open rather you have to hope a specific strategy just work out or more realistically just always take the same universally good card. As all the games are best of ones and you get no information about your opponents deck list it's impossible to prepare a tailored game plan. Also the best of one means that you're going to end up losing to a lot of bad decks simply because of a bad opening hand/mulligan or they have a combo that they get off one every 3 games.

*Bump* For any folks that might be getting into Hearthstone now that the new season is starting (or due to the recent iPad release):

As promised, I put together a rudimentary excel spreadsheet so that CAG Hearthstoners can met up for friendlies: http://1drv.ms/1hlxxyb

If you want me to add you (or to add additional information about you), just leave the following information in this thread and I'll update the sheet:

• HS Name (battle.net tag)
  • Real Name (optional)
  • Location (city or state)
  • Highest Rank Achieved
  • Favorite Hero(es)
Hope this is useful to some of you.  Take care.

AoDfan#1718

Alaska

Rank 25 (I think)

Mage & Rogue

Won a Ipad mini and this was the first thing I put on it. Enjoying it so far.

I just started playing yesterday, but I've really enjoyed it so far. Having played Magic the Gathering for so long, it's a nice change of pace since the games tend to be MUCH shorter.

I've had the most luck with Warrior so far, but I'm noticing that the Priest deck is super powerful. I'm hoping it will come to Android soon so I can get it on my Kindle.

I hate the Priest so much I just concede if he is my opponent.  0/5 minion where attack is always equal to health.  Double health of minion.  Double health of minion.  20/20 minion takes me out in one shot.  These cards cost practically no mana so it happens in one turn.  If you can't destroy that minion immediately you are screwed.  So annoying.

Priest is one of the most inconsistent classes there is, reliant on having the perfect combination of cards (like the one you mentioned) in your hand.  Almost all priest decks are also very specialized, and don't work against a wide variety of decks. According to Hearthstats (which tracks stats for people that use the program), priest has the lowest winrate both in arena and constructed.

My hardest opponent as Warrior is Shaman. I go from 5 minions and full health to empty board and dead in 2 turns. It wouldn't be so bad if it were once or twice, but 4 out of 5 matches against Shaman end that way for me.

I've been playing Druid a lot but I stink.  I probably win 2/5 matches on average.  I just don't have the cards to build a solid deck yet.  I am dependent on drawing certain cards in order to come out of the gate strong and I'm usually trying to fend off my opponent's minions rather than playing mine for the advantage.  I've also noticed the competition is much tougher over the last week than it had been in the beginning - maybe a lot of the casual players have moved on already?  I'm constantly running into people with mostly epic/rare/legendary in their decks.

I've also noticed the competition is much tougher over the last week than it had been in the beginning - maybe a lot of the casual players have moved on already? I'm constantly running into people with mostly epic/rare/legendary in their decks.
The competition always feels a bit brutal early in the month after the ranks reset. It used to be much worse (before they did the accelerated starts based on last season's ranks), but it still feels very tough early on.

I've been playing Druid a lot but I stink. I probably win 2/5 matches on average. I just don't have the cards to build a solid deck yet. I am dependent on drawing certain cards in order to come out of the gate strong and I'm usually trying to fend off my opponent's minions rather than playing mine for the advantage. I've also noticed the competition is much tougher over the last week than it had been in the beginning - maybe a lot of the casual players have moved on already? I'm constantly running into people with mostly epic/rare/legendary in their decks.
I'm just now rank 20, so still low, but I have better luck playing ranked since it matches you to equally ranked people. I normally get wrecked in casual with high end decks, but I don't see super decks in this ranked tier much. Tends to be more even.

Almost got that elusive 12-win arena run today.  Finished at 11.  A spiffy 455 gold reward is nice, though (Edit: and my second legendary in the pack!  Prophet Velen).  Anyone get 12 wins yet?

Apparently, Hearthstone wants me to be a Hunter.  Every pack I open seems to have at least one Hunter-specific card in it. (last pack had 3!)  I tried him out for the first time today, and he's pretty good so long as you strike fast.  I've seen a few people play the waiting game with the hunter, but I don't like that as much.

Only real problem I have with the Hunter is this:

(not a spoiler, just a pic)
BatmanHunter_zps58c7ca3e.jpg

Naturally, I had to name my deck "I'm Batman!"

Ha!  Didn't notice that about the hunter.  A guy I know built an insane Hunter deck (probably from one of the many online decks) and he just beats your face in early and it becomes impossible to catch up.  Lots of low mana cards so you are taking real damage by turn 3.  He went from 20 to 14 without losing yesterday... and then decided to try the arena, didn't get the cards he wanted and went 1-3.  It's such a crapshoot.  I don't have the right cards unlocked so I can't copy it, unfortunately.

Anyone have any guesses on what the DLC will cost?  I've saved up about 900 gold over the past week and I'm so tempted to just buy 9 packs and be done with it but if you are guaranteed to get some Legendaries by playing through the DLC it might be wiser to spend the gold on that instead.

Anyone have any guesses on what the DLC will cost? I've saved up about 900 gold over the past week and I'm so tempted to just buy 9 packs and be done with it but if you are guaranteed to get some Legendaries by playing through the DLC it might be wiser to spend the gold on that instead.
They've said the first wing is free, but haven't announced a cost of the additional wings. I've heard analysts predicting anywhere from 200-500 gold.

Even at 500G per wing it's not that bad - basically takes a week to earn that if you can get a 60G quest and play every day.  200G (or $1.99) would be really nice.

I'm really excited about the expansion. Especially since Death's Bite was revealed.
http://i.wow.joystiq.com/2014/05/08/deaths-bite-weapon-added-to-hearthstones-curse-of-naxxramas/

Hopefully, some of these guaranteed Legendarys from beating the wings will put my decks a little closer to par.
Riyotous, what decks are you running that you don't feel competitive without Legendaries? I've been playing since Open Beta, have put in a ton of hours, and currently only have 3 Legendaries (only 1 of which I really use). Obviously the Legendaries are nice to have (and a ton of fun), but they aren't necessary to be competitive. Plus, it's nice for us CAGs to not have to pony up money for packs.

Riyotous, what decks are you running that you don't feel competitive without Legendaries? I've been playing since Open Beta, have put in a ton of hours, and currently only have 3 Legendaries (only 1 of which I really use). Obviously the Legendaries are nice to have (and a ton of fun), but they aren't necessary to be competitive. Plus, it's nice for us CAGs to not have to pony up money for packs.
I haven't been playing long (barely a week), which is my problem. Legendarys aren't necessary, but not even having many non-basic cards makes a big difference. I didn't have an issue up until rank 20, but now I'm regularly losing games where I am far in the lead with board control and die in a couple turns to game changing rares.

I think the guaranteed drop cards from the expansion will help give my decks some of the padding I need that would normally come from grinding expert packs over time. I could spend money to unlock packs and make up my lost time, but I'm far too cheap for that.

A guy I know built an insane Hunter deck (probably from one of the many online decks) and he just beats your face in early and it becomes impossible to catch up. He went from 20 to 14 without losing yesterday... and then decided to try the arena, didn't get the cards he wanted and went 1-3. It's such a crapshoot.
Yeah, while hunter is one of the strongest classes in constructed, it relies too much on synergy to be consistently good in arena. Unleash the hounds just had its price increased, so it delays any type of combo with it for a turn, so might be a sliver harder to do as well with that constructed deck.

I haven't been playing long (barely a week), which is my problem. Legendarys aren't necessary, but not even having many non-basic cards makes a big difference. I didn't have an issue up until rank 20, but now I'm regularly losing games where I am far in the lead with board control and die in a couple turns to game changing rares.

I think the guaranteed drop cards from the expansion will help give my decks some of the padding I need that would normally come from grinding expert packs over time. I could spend money to unlock packs and make up my lost time, but I'm far too cheap for that.
Gotcha, well the best (unsolicited) advice I could give you is to do your dailys (switch out those 40s), make sure you've gotten all the gold from the unique quests, and use the Arena to boost your cards, gold, and dust.

Gotcha, well the best (unsolicited) advice I could give you is to do your dailys (switch out those 40s), make sure you've gotten all the gold from the unique quests, and use the Arena to boost your cards, gold, and dust.
You can switch out the dailies? An extra 20g a day would help. Do I just "X out" of the daily until I get a 60g one?

You can switch out the dailies? An extra 20g a day would help. Do I just "X out" of the daily until I get a 60g one?
Only one switch per day (or maybe per quest, don't remember which, but I think per day). But yeah, just click the x if you have one you don't like.

Only one switch per day (or maybe per quest, don't remember which, but I think per day). But yeah, just click the x if you have one you don't like.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Just told my friends that got me into it that you could swap your quest and they were as shocked as I was. Haha.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Just told my friends that got me into it that you could swap your quest and they were as shocked as I was. Haha.
Yep, only one switch per day...and some people have it down to a science (this is from a gold gathering guide):

“Reroll all 40 gold quests. Don’t finish 40 gold quests. Finish 60/100 gold quests as soon as possible, unless they require finishing a 40 gold quest. Finish a quest if you can’t reroll and you have 3 quests.”

Read more here: http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/11/hearthstone-strategies-earn-gold-fast-and-get-free-cards/

To a degree I enjoy this game. I do not enjoy going in to a casual match and facing 6 legendaries per deck. The deck I am using is not a ranked deck as the only reason it exists is to do dailies which I can't complete VS friends or the Innkeeper. But I don't get anything for losing except a gold card here and there that is a replica of a card I already have. So really I get nothing. 

I don't really see how people are meant to not even compete, but just play this game  unless they invest or turn the game in to a job. 

To complete the 5 win quests I work on other things and chip away at wins on the side. I find nothing casual about this game. 

That's my rant. I'm totally up for playing real people though a lot of my friends have had trouble adding me: Toma#1619

To a degree I enjoy this game. I do not enjoy going in to a casual match and facing 6 legendaries per deck. The deck I am using is not a ranked deck as the only reason it exists is to do dailies which I can't complete VS friends or the Innkeeper.

To complete the 5 win quests I work on other things and chip away at wins on the side. I find nothing casual about this game.
I have yet to see a legendary card in casual. The only time I've ever had one played on me, I still beat the guy. (it was the one that summons a screen full of snakes)

If you're having problems with overpowered pre-made decks, then play the arena. I like the arena the most in general. What I DON'T like is ranked games. I keep my rank at 24 and seem to match up with people of my exact skill/card level almost every time. I just don't get the point of ranked, other than bragging rights. There's no special rewards other than card backs which I don't care about.

basilofbkrst, I added you the spreadsheet. Let me know if you want me to put in any more info: http://1drv.ms/1hlxxyb
I haven't chosen a favorite class as of yet. I am leaning rogue, but we'll see.

EDIT rather than double post

I have yet to see a legendary card in casual. The only time I've ever had one played on me, I still beat the guy. (it was the one that summons a screen full of snakes)

If you're having problems with overpowered pre-made decks, then play the arena. I like the arena the most in general. What I DON'T like is ranked games. I keep my rank at 24 and seem to match up with people of my exact skill/card level almost every time. I just don't get the point of ranked, other than bragging rights. There's no special rewards other than card backs which I don't care about.
I arena when I can. It seems like the best value in that I often get 30 dust even for 3 losses, but winning the casuals to get the arena gold has been pretty rough for me. I might try doing ranked and just gaming my rank.

I finally went and looked up some deck builds, made a deck for the Mage and Rogue. Played a few games this weekend, and only lost 1 of them.  Even won both of the ranked games I played, that makes me a 2 star 25 rank angry chicken.

I just got the fireside card back. Pretty cool. I made a decent Mage deck but I'm still dependent on drawing the right cards which isn't good. I need to tweak it a bit.

Warning: brag post incoming.

On my fourth time of making it to 11 wins, I finally made it to 12 wins in the arena (with paladin).  All-gold reward (470), though (plus a pack, of course).

Congrats man - I am too timid to play arena.  I have 920G saved up and today's quest is the 100G one so that will get me 120G more by tonight.  Even though I desperately need more cards (no legendaries and I've only opened about 10 packs), I'm trying to save for the expansion.  I'm guessing it will be 500G per wing for a total of 2000G.  Totally doable since I get about 450-500G per week.

Yeah, I'm sitting at about that amount of gold, too.  I figure since the first wing is free, and they're only coming out with 1 wing a week, I'll still have a bit of time to accumulate gold once the release date officially gets announced.

I seem to be bad at building decks while in arena. My best is 4 wins. I just recently got into this game and got hooked. I has no experience or interest with Magic or other games like this but im loving this one.

My best class so far has been priest i just started playing ranked games Im at level 17 right now. If anybody wants some practice matches my battle.net email is [email protected].

bread's done
Back