Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

Whoo! I so want this game. I'm currently not feeling "it" with Silent Hill 5 so I have high hopes of Heavy Rain having the touch.

[quote name='Richlough']I hope there is some good E3 coverage of this .[/QUOTE]

Me too. But we won't have to wait that long. There was a quote from a PSBlog writer stating a new interview should be up around the 22nd.

New details should be released over the next few days.

Here is an early "teaser image" of some characters.

330626_1_hs.jpg

ok so my joystiq preview pieces are now being unlocked, though today's won't be done for a little while longer. Going to be giving some insights into the developers and the development leading up to this Friday with a hands on preview! Including a nice video...

Go ahead and cehck out the early parts HERE though.

[quote name='NamPaehc']ok so my joystiq preview pieces are now being unlocked, though today's won't be done for a little while longer. Going to be giving some insights into the developers and the development leading up to this Friday with a hands on preview! Including a nice video...

Go ahead and cehck out the early parts HERE though.[/QUOTE]

Are you a journalist ?

Roll on, hype machine, roll on.

In my continued efforts to never let David Cage/Quantic Dream live down the "we have conquered the Uncanny Valley" comment, I present...some screens that don't look much different than any of the other best-looking games this gen:
ss_preview_2_1__7_.jpg.jpg
ss_preview_2_1__11_.jpg.jpg
ss_preview_2_1__8_.jpg.jpg

Ah yes, each one looks just like a photograph. :roll:

I really hope that some interviewer hold's Cage's feet to the fire about that comment, someday. You can't say shit like he did, and back it up with something that looks this much like any other top-of-the-line videogame graphics.

The gameplay and story in this had better be fucking incredible...

The demo shown a few months ago looked better actually, the one with the journalist in the crazy taxidermist killer's house.

And honestly, if you forget the brash statements and take the game for what it is, it still has the potential to be a fucking incredible game based on what he wants to do with the gameplay.

So long as that's good, I can deal with graphics that don't live up to some stupid statements.

People need to not get so hung up on stupid marketing hyperbole.

After watching the GTTV stuff this morning, I don't think this game is for me. The style looks cool but something about the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me.

Also the whole stripping scene really didn't click with me. It probably makes more sense in the context of the game, but just cut out and put in a trailer makes it really seem out of place and almost like its there to sell teenage boys on the game.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']The newest gameplay videos aren't as polished as the first gameplay we saw (female journalist in taxidermist's house) - what's up with that?[/QUOTE]

Because that video was bullshit, meant to drum up hype.

It's a pretty standard industry practice. Not surprising that Heavy Rain succumbs to it as well, to those who can see through QD's ridiculous claims.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Because that video was bullshit, meant to drum up hype.

It's a pretty standard industry practice. Not surprising that Heavy Rain succumbs to it as well, to those who can see through QD's ridiculous claims.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, your not starting this again are you. This is getting really annoying when you have nothing better to do than bash the developers and the game cause of a personal vendetta.

[quote name='robin2099']Ugh, your not starting this again are you. This is getting really annoying when you have nothing better to do than bash the developers and the game cause of a personal vendetta.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing "personal" about it.

Not only did they lie to and string-along the entire gaming public with their insane promises, but by extension, they also spit in the face of the entire collective computer art community and industry alike by claiming to have bested all of their efforts at realism throughout the entire history of computer graphics, and then after enormous gaps of media silence, they put forward this as the fruits of their labor, and the supposed fulfillment of their claims and ambitions. You can't even chalk it up to being a shameless marketing tactic that Sony put them up to; David Cage is known to be an egomaniac.

And I won't even start on gameplay here, other than to say that QTE's and context-sensitive buttons might have been fairly innovative, had this game come out in 2001. To call this a revolution in gameplay and interactive storytelling? Insulting.

The otherwise enthused will brush this off, but I consider the entire existence of Heavy Rain to be a gross insult (again, not a personal one, as stated), which I believe they deserve to be punished for and reminded of for the rest of time. Because I'm a jerk like that, I guess.

*rubs fingers together*

This is the worlds smallest violin is playing for your sense of self righteousness.

Get over it. It's a game, and if you really think it's an insult, do better, become a developer and top them. Otherwise, other developers aren't really complaining, they're too busy actually making games for a living to worry about one outspoken guy doing what outspoken gasbags normally do, which is *gasp* speak hyperbole about their game that they want to sell. Hell, every developer does this.

And even despite all the Heavy Rain still looks like a groundbreaking game on many levels.

[quote name='Vanigan']And even despite all the Heavy Rain still looks like a groundbreaking game on many levels.[/QUOTE]

Name one.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The otherwise enthused will brush this off, but I consider the entire existence of Heavy Rain to be a gross insult (again, not a personal one, as stated), which I believe they deserve to be punished for and reminded of for the rest of time. Because I'm a jerk like that, I guess.[/QUOTE]
Talk about getting swept away by the hype.. wow.

2q9ihef.jpg

EVERYONE please try and keep the personal stuff out of this thread. I humbly ask you to "take it outside" via message or a blog, just lets try and have enough respect to keep this thread on track.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea CoffeeEdge get the fuck out of here.[/QUOTE]

What? I never made any personal remarks to anyone. McNutsack is the one who decided to make things personal by calling me a "tool," so maybe he should be the one to "get the fuck out of here."

Now, if we're talking about personal opinions about this game, well, what else is this thread supposed to discuss?

Honestly, NamPaehc, do you believe and expect that the way this thread should play out is just you posting every trivial update about this game, get a few posts about "looks great, can't wait to play it," rinse, repeat? Is that what you're asking for? Because if you want people to "keep the personal stuff out of this thread," then please direct that at McNutsack et al.

When I saw the preview video I went "huh", just doesn't look like the game that was presented last year. Actually, it kinds looks like the Matrix Online...very unpolished.

The QTE gameplay looks interesting, but I keep reminding myself how frustrated I was with RE5's surprise QTE cutscenes, especially towards the end.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']What? I never made any personal remarks to anyone. McNutsack is the one who decided to make things personal by calling me a "tool," so maybe he should be the one to "get the fuck out of here."

Now, if we're talking about personal opinions about this game, well, what else is this thread supposed to discuss?

Honestly, NamPaehc, do you believe and expect that the way this thread should play out is just you posting every trivial update about this game, get a few posts about "looks great, can't wait to play it," rinse, repeat? Is that what you're asking for? Because if you want people to "keep the personal stuff out of this thread," then please direct that at McNutsack et al.[/QUOTE]

You basically make it personal when you constantly come in her and bash the game, and seemingly make it your life long goal to bash it, Quantic Dream and the developers. We get it, you hate the game, but most of us have had enough, going back to when you got the original thread closed for the exact same crap.

[quote name='robin2099']You basically make it personal when you constantly come in her and bash the game, and seemingly make it your life long goal to bash it, Quantic Dream and the developers. We get it, you hate the game, but most of us have had enough, going back to when you got the original thread closed for the exact same crap.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I did? I didn't even remember.

Anyways, no. It's no worse than the pattern of NamPaehc posting every trivial update about this game. It's just a pattern of repetition.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']LOL, I did? I didn't even remember.

Anyways, no. It's no worse than the pattern of NamPaehc posting every trivial update about this game. It's just a pattern of repetition.[/QUOTE]

Not really. He actually, you know posts information and updates about the game since it's the official news and discussion thread for it. Your doing nothing but trolling and ranting about things, when no one really cares. So again, not really the same thing.

[quote name='robin2099']Not really. He actually, you know posts information and updates about the game since it's the official news and discussion thread for it. Your doing nothing but trolling and ranting about things, when no one really cares. So again, not really the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I never knew that people "caring" was a requirement for posting.

But fine, dude. I'll leave for a while. But next time I tell someone to STFU and GTFO, they'd better do it, in exchange for this.

Nobody has a problem with you voicing your opinions on a game, even if they are negative (a few posts above Kanik basically says he doesn't think the game looks any good). It's just how you do it - it's ruthless (and unstopping) and this wouldn't be the first case either. You're a smart guy and I enjoy reading your opinions about things, but you can often times get carried away.

@THREAD- BUT not wanting to take away from this thread - I actually am uneasy about the lack of polish it currently has. The "test" level they showed looked very natural and detailed, but what they have showed recently is lacking heart (minus the club scene - that looks pretty nice). Although, they did say they have a long way in terms of polishing. I'm just excited for it because my girlfriend is, she wants to be a criminal profiler and so this game is pretty much a dream game for her.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Questions Answered on the PSBlog.

States the game is still in alpha, a little surprising to me if they want it out by the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you know what alpha means. Alpha means all the work on the gameplay and content are about done. All that remains is making the game work without bugs and tweak the game. Beta is when the entire game is playable just incase you're wondering.

Hmmm, an adventure game. I may need to look into this when it comes out. I haven't really looked at any previews. If I enjoyed Shenmue, and Dreamfall, will I like this?

How do you actually play this game? In all the videos I've seen, the only thing you can do is press the trigger to move forward and play some minigames God of War style.

[quote name='laaj']I don't think you know what alpha means. Alpha means all the work on the gameplay and content are about done. All that remains is making the game work without bugs and tweak the game. Beta is when the entire game is playable just incase you're wondering.[/QUOTE]

Ya - they had the Alpha version of DC Universe playable at NY Comic Con. What I played could've easily been released as a game.

Watched the GT TV show from this week -- and I'm glad to know that it's a more complex experience than simply a bunch of QTEs. Having done some research on "Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit," I am really quite interested in seeing how this game turns out.

Only problem is that I'm a "scaredy cat" and I'm not too sure how well I could handle a suspense thriller that is "plausible" in real life (and one reason why I don't watch CSI and their ilk). Still, I'm curious to see how "mature" the game goes and the interplay between the four different characters.

[quote name='laaj']I don't think you know what alpha means. Alpha means all the work on the gameplay and content are about done. All that remains is making the game work without bugs and tweak the game. Beta is when the entire game is playable just incase you're wondering.[/QUOTE]

No I know what alpha means... Lets say distribution takes about a month and a half. If it comes out at the end of December, being pressed sometime in mid November, that gives them like 5 1/2 months to polish. Can it be done? Oh yeah.

I guess I just prefer for them to be sitting on a beta for months because you really never know what issues might pop up on any part of the product. :D Luckily this isn't an online intensive title, but it has been in development for so long I'm surprised they are so confident to have it cleaned up and gleaming brightly for us this year. Not that I mind.

Again not saying it doesn't happen, but that I am used to them "dragging" things out because this has been in development for so long.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Again not saying it doesn't happen, but that I am used to them "dragging" things out because this has been in development for so long.[/QUOTE]

I'd say they're more closer to beta than alpha just by looking at the gameplay video from Gametrailers. So I'm not worried at all :D. And Sony can easily fast track the distribution of this game since they are publishing it.

[quote name='dimeadz']If it is anything like Indigo Prophecy, i will be happy.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

I think that anyone who isn't sure what this game will possibly play like should play that game first. That way they can see if this type of game is for them or not.

So, if the game is in Alpha stage, there's enough time to release it this year right? Honestly, i still have zero clue how the game is played... It's not a supernatural type of game is it?

[quote name='Serpentor']So, if the game is in Alpha stage, there's enough time to release it this year right? Honestly, i still have zero clue how the game is played... It's not a supernatural type of game is it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, FriskyT is right. I was freaking out too until I saw it was confirmed for next year.

>>>And as far as supernatural, who knows with these developers... But I think they are trying to base it on reality mostly.

Also note that the final 10% polish is usually put in months before its released, before that it's all getting the core systems and gameplay working as they should. They're still working on those systems that will give it that final polish, but before that it's a lot of testing. This is why you don't see more complex facial animation (e.g. the puppet style mouth movements in early showings) in what they've shown, and a lot of locales look a bit bland right now.

bread's done
Back