Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

I like the part where he mentioned their Game of the Year had only 50% completion and then listed Metacritic numbers to "prove" that it's the better game anyway.

Whoever designed the cover for the GH version needs to go back to design school. That extra blue banner & text underneath "Only On Playstation" could have easily been placed on the back of the case. As it stands, most of that woman's head is not visible and I find it hard to believe someone thought that was acceptable. o_O

[quote name='Uracat']Whoever designed the cover for the GH version needs to go back to design school. That extra blue banner & text underneath "Only On Playstation" could have easily been placed on the back of the case. As it stands, most of that woman's head is not visible and I find it hard to believe someone thought that was acceptable. o_O[/QUOTE]

Well someone designs a standard that is placed on any GH game... or any GH hits game that is move in this case. That is slapped on any game regardless and they are almost always ugly modifiers.

The original XBOX 360 ones stand out as being truly horrendous...
208370407.jpg

Luckily they largely fixed after a few years...
1253395482-Mass_Effect_Platinum_Hits.jpg

But yeah, GH games have terrible design generally speaking. :lol:

The completion rate doesn't surpise me at all. When you play a game, you are there for the core experience. With God of War, it's brutal melee combat. With Uncharted it's traversal and gun play. With Heavy Rain it's the story.

The player can easily pop in a normal game and get their fix and not really absorb themselves in the story and not care to finish it. With Heavy Rain, that's all you've got.

The game is brilliant and had me hooked for 1 week straight. I just could not put the controller down. With that being said, this game has zero replay value. I just dont want to spend the time making different decisions to see a different ending and I don't care about trophies. Youtube can give me all the endings without the hassle of having to play multiple times.

Finally got the game but i hope some retard earlier in the thread didn't ruin it for me by saying the kid was the killer. I was trying not to read much on the game but the retard had it written in the very first part of his post. I don't beleive it but man what a retard.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Finally got the game but i hope some retard earlier in the thread didn't ruin it for me by saying the kid was the killer. I was trying not to read much on the game but the retard had it written in the very first part of his post. I don't beleive it but man what a retard.[/QUOTE]

he didnt but id avoid this thread if i were you until you finish it.

[quote name='whoknows']I've been feeling the urge to play this game again for awhile.

Trying to decide if I should rebuy it.[/QUOTE]

Now that it is a Greatest Hits title at $30 is the perfect time. Best Buy is having buy 2 get 1 free on all Greatest Hits so I got 2 copies of Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 Game Of The Year edition for $60.

Something I never understood. I thought when I first got this game it was going to have a wealth of DLC (or that was how it was portrayed) then all we get is the taxidermist. :/

[quote name='bjstucker']Something I never understood. I thought when I first got this game it was going to have a wealth of DLC (or that was how it was portrayed) then all we get is the taxidermist. :/[/QUOTE]

Ha, yeah. Disappointment for sure. And the Taxidermist had crappy (or at least different) voices.

[quote name='bjstucker']Something I never understood. I thought when I first got this game it was going to have a wealth of DLC (or that was how it was portrayed) then all we get is the taxidermist. :/[/QUOTE]

they could have made alot of money with dlc for this game it sucks they just did the one and then stopped. makes you wonder if there are others finished that will never see the light of day.

Taxidermist is such a great add-on. It is short, but super intense. It has great atmosophere, a really sick and freaky one too. I find it better than the main game itself (flame suits on xD).

^^^ agreed. It was a nice little add on. The nice thing, since it was so small, I could play it multiple times, trying to get different endings w/o having to replay the entire story.

I wonder if they will attempt a 2nd game? It comes down to money...

[quote name='simpsonps121']I wonder if they will attempt a 2nd game? It comes down to money...[/QUOTE]

Unlikely. Quantic Dream seems to be a company that generally cranks out new IPs for each game, which is something I appreciate about them. The only game they've made where there was even a sequel discussed was Omikron, which never materialized (though, really, I'd literally murder a baby to get an Omikron 2).

All that aside... would anyone really want a Heavy Rain 2? It's not really something that lends itself to being continued, and I'd much rather them create a brand new story rather than try and keeping going with Heavy Rain, even it was on the same engine.

Also, while I'd love a new game from Quantic Dream, they've thus far really only put out one game per generation. They did one on Dreamcast, one on PS2/Xbox, and one on PS3. I'd be really surprised to hear them announce another PS3 game.

I really think Sony was used a scapegoat for the lack fo DLC. If you read into what David Cage said after he finished the game, he really didn't seem like he was up for making the rest of the DLC, despite already having them written out. And really, the move add-on did not take them that long to implement. They did that months ago and could have definitely worked on the DLC episodes after.

From March 2010:

"with Heavy Rain I feel like I'm done. I said what I had to say about this story and these characters and this is why there won't be a sequel, and this is why..I hope there will be a movie about the game but I don't think I will be personally involved in this....I need to move on to tell other stories"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7IW2v8VbWE

The dlc though, who was it for? I mean to me it sounded like it was just something the higher ups/marketing wanted to keep the game off used store shelves and being in more cash post launch.

That instead of something the devs really wanted to do. Going back and spending time with the characters prior to game events sounds cool, but I can see it from the devs side - the main story and drama you wanted people to experience are done, time to forge sometime else unique unstead if tinkering around further.

Latest comments from David Cage at the BAFTA awards:

For our next project we’re going to build on what we have discovered with Heavy Rain. We own this genre of Interactive Drama and we want to show that Heavy Rain was not a coincidence; it is something that makes sense and we can build on it.
At the same time, we will not make a sequel and I made that very clear from the beginning, regardless of whether the game was a success or a failure, because I wanted to show that this is a new genre that you can use to tell any kind of story, in any style.
We’re going to be exploring a different direction, which will still be very dark and still for adults, but completely different to Heavy Rain. Our challenge is to satisfy our fans, and also surprise them.
Full interview at PS Blog

Sounds promising. I wonder if the next game will be multiplatform. I can see them doing some amazing stuff with Kinect.

[quote name='GUNNM']Kara looks fucking amazing. What an awesome trailer[/QUOTE]

David Cage says it's just a proof-of-concept video. QD isn't working on a full length Kara game.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']But he is working on a PS3 game with that tech.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he's still going to give David Cage style storytelling. Twist in the last 3rd of the game here we come!

I get a black screen in Chapter 5 when I try to reload my game. Do I need to download the update to fix this? 1gb takes me forever to download @_@

just started playing this game a few days ago and i really enjoy it. im using the move controller and its pretty fun. the game looks gorgeous but man that voice acting takes away some of the serious tone. a few early points in the game i can tell there trying to make me feel emotional but that shoddy voice acting almost makes it a joke. also lol
at the very start when jason gets ran over, me and my sister looked at each other like whaaaa??? hes 10 years old and his parents never taught him not to look both ways and i find it strange that it killed jason when the dad was in a "coma" but it looked like he took the brunt of the hit. small gripes so far but i think it would have been far more impacting if jason gets ran over before the dad can even make it the road.

anyways im gonna keep on truckin.

bread's done
Back