Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

[quote name='Superstar']Is there a way to tell how far along in the game you are?[/QUOTE]
Sure, as soon as you learned who is the real origami killer is, you're at the end...

Glitch alert! I've found two glitches, one is harmless the other is more serious (you can't continue the story because you're stuck).

Glitch #1: chapter
Fugitive
- Harmless, but fun to watch, don't affect trophies
When Madison cleared the planks to make the escape, the cops surround the building. If you make Madison walk toward the stair, you can actually see one lone cop walking into the room (obviously, the game meant to "display" him outside of the building). It creep me out when I first saw it, because it's so freaky! Oh yeah, if you're doing this, Ethan will be arrested and Madison hides behind/between the furniture/boxes.

Glitch #2: chapter
Jayden's Blue
- You will not be able to continue, trophies are affected if you use the same save for
Perfect Crime or All Endings or possibly Ludwig Von
To replicate the bug:
On a new save, while playing Fugitive chapter, get caught... When you're in the next chapter, go to the main menu and select Fugitive chapter again. Play it with SAVE on, this time don't get caught. If you do that, you'll get both Hands Up! and Fugitive trophies respectively (if you don't already have them). Now if you continue playing the game, you should see:

Fugitive
Jayden's Blue
Under Arrest

in the chapter menu... Continue and beat the game... If you select Jayden's Blue chapter and with SAVE on, the game is broken. Right after you play the piano, you're back in the ARI office to review clues/files. There's a new clue, the footage of Shaun's kidnapping, if you analyze the footage (which you need to do to progress), no new information... All of clues are broken (can't analyze any of them). You're suppose to have the clue about Mad Jack, but since it's broken, you're stuck in ARI forever...
between now, replaying the chapter before it will not work (getting arrested or ran away result in the same glitch).

I was on my way to earn the Perfect Crime trophy, but i can't continue :whistle2:( So, i had to start a new save.

[quote name='Serpentor']Sure, as soon as you learned who is the real origami killer is, you're at the end...[/QUOTE]

Somehow I knew a pointless response would happen.

[quote name='Superstar']Somehow I knew a pointless response would happen.[/QUOTE]

Sigh, it's not pointless... if you're spoiler free, then there's no way to tell you the status of your progress.

If you can figure out who is the origami killer in the beginning or middle of the game, congrats, you should be working for the FBI or as an CSI or a damn good writer.

I didn't get it right until
the chapter where the dying kid said "Scottie"
and guess what? From that point on, you're at the end...

The beauty of this game is that, the plot is very well crafted, and since you can skip chapters base on your actions, there's no telling how far you're into the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='simpsonps121']Basically, if you are working on page 3 of the chapters, you are near the end.[/QUOTE]

Right and wrong... because there's no right or wrong answers. If you intentionally do everything wrong, then page 3 probably the end for you. For a "normal" playthrough, you have to be at least on page 4 to be the end.

Anyway, the more we dwell on this "how to tell how far i'm into the game?" for Heavy Rain is pretty much like
what Ethan is surfing from, Morbid Neurosis.
Only that we're haunted by how far we ventured into the game...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='simpsonps121']hehe - You are correct. Page 4 is if all of your characters are alive. :) Page 5 will include the epilogue.[/QUOTE]

That's correct, but now someone is going to accuse you for spoiling the length of a "normal" ending ;)

Oh, my 2nd playthrough (due to the glitch, i couldn't use my first save file to continue, see my earlier post for detail), i made a stupid mistake...

Please don't make this mistake if you're heading for the
Perfect Crime
trophy.

You must must must
defeat the attacker in Paco's private room w/o mistakes (or maybe one or two is allowed, i'm not sure). What you need to make sure is that, the attacker has to drop the receipts! Yep, w/o those receipts you won't be able to figure out the warehouse location. And you can't have Madison to call Jayden, because you need to make sure she dies in the killer's apartment!
sigh, i have some more backtracking to do, man, it's getting a bit old for me now, i must have played some the of the chapters at least FIVE time!

The problem with backtracking is that you have to go to the earliest chapter where the change occur, meaning that some of the in-between chapters are meaningless to your goal and if you're tired, you can miss what you were aiming for :lol:

Sigh... talk about it! I played some of the chapters numerous time, i couldn't stand the dialogues anymore! Need to skip! I doubt they will release a patch to do that....

I finally got the platinum trophy, i can put this game away now. Oh, the Taxidermist chapter does NOT have trophies :whistle2:( I just finished it once, even though there are five or six different outcomes. Sorry man, without trophies, i don't really care about the "different" outcomes. As long as i survived the Taxidermist chapter, I'm good. There's no reason to go nuts to try and figure out
where's Madison?
, i simply don't care...

For $4.99, Taxidermist is a bit too much (without trophies). It has some creepy moments, but overall, it's very short... If the future chapters don't have trophies, i'm not getting them. To me, the Heavy Rain chapters are good enough. Any chapters before the main story or after it, if not well executed, they're out of place.

Also, for those of you love the game, please beat the game with
Madison only
The "boss" fight is the best in the game! If you already play it, you know what i mean :)

Okay, signing off on Heavy Rain, hmmm, what to play next....

I enjoyed her ending as well.

As for me - I really enjoyed the different endings of the taxi... For $5, it was a steal. As to trophies - I could care less. I have enough games to play, that spending 45 minutes on getting something perfect is not worth it.

If you like interactive drama/fiction, there are plenty of options out there. But the majority are on PC. Sam and Max is a console option though...

After Heavy Rain, i will certainly look at interactive drama with respect now... But again, the main ingredient is how well the pilots are crafted. The story not necessarily have to be deep or clever, but the individual pieces must connect. The characters in HR are well done, i love every single one of them, even the obnoxious Blake. Even the loop holes can be forgiven, simply because we sort of understand that if we play every conceivable options in the game, some of the loopholes are explained.

Such as, how the hell the kid survive in the damn cold water for such long time! I don't think i can... Then again, if you know the origami killer well enough, that loophole is forgivable, simply because it's not part of the test and killing the kid before time is up doesn't prove anything. Also, we learned that killing the kid before
daddy's help
arrives, it pretty much like killing the origami killer himself/herself (as explained by the origami killer
every time one of the kids died, it's like watching John died over and over. When John died, a part of Shelby was taken away too
Hence, to replicate the "ultimate" trial, the origami killer will not let the kid die until
the father gives up
).

[quote name='Serpentor']Here's a million dollar question...

What's the origami figure for
trial #4, the one Ethan has to kill or not to kill
[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it is a shark

As much as I enjoyed this I can't get myself to play it again. I have tried, but it has crashed/locked up on me a few times and I gave up. Not knowing what is down the line with the episodes is bothering too.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Pretty sure it is a shark

As much as I enjoyed this I can't get myself to play it again. I have tried, but it has crashed/locked up on me a few times and I gave up. Not knowing what is down the line with the episodes is bothering too.[/QUOTE]

The answer is correct, just that i don't see such figure in the box. Anyway, the game locked on me twice, i had to reboot :whistle2:( and then there's that glitch i encountered, which i couldn't bypass at all. Well, i got all of the endings, so i don't need to play it again. For the Taxidermist chapters, i'm going to skip them, the first episode was free (pre-order bonus) and didn't have trophies. While it was fun to play, but not enough interest to make me unlock all possibilities.

Got really into the game and then encountered a glitch where the game wouldn't save my data anymore. Heartbreaking, but I don't have the desire to replay all the chapters again.

Just finished the game. I must say I enjoyed the story. Very, very immersive. I guess it's a good thing that I waited since I didn't get any major glitches?

My ending was
Shelby dying. Jayden becoming world renown. Ethan, Madison, and Shaun all moving into a condo.

I seem to have a lot of the same questions everyone else has:
Ethan blackouts wtf? Madison's insomnia at the beginning wtf? whatev.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Just finished the game. I must say I enjoyed the story. Very, very immersive. I guess it's a good thing that I waited since I didn't get any major glitches?

My ending was
Shelby dying. Jayden becoming world renown. Ethan, Madison, and Shaun all moving into a condo.

I seem to have a lot of the same questions everyone else has:
Ethan blackouts wtf? Madison's insomnia at the beginning wtf? whatev.
[/QUOTE]

For Ethan, the blackouts are from the car accident, the one he tries to save Jason
the shrink told you that he suffered a 6 months comas, which in a way explains why Ethan and Grace are separated/divorced
For Madison, the insomnia is linked to the events in her past (there's an option to "explain" when she first meets
Ethan in the hotel, which is not a coincidence by the way
) One of the events is the taxidermist... If you had played the taxidermist chapter, you know how creepy it was :)

I beat the game today (got the happy ending). It was interesting and exciting at times but I really hated the identity of the killer
Scott Shelby? Really? And all because he had some daddy issues? They could have come up with something better
That kinda ruined the end for me.

Does anyone have an unfolded peice of origami paper that came with the game, and wouldn't mind trading it to me?

Mine came with none!

I put my self on a Media Blackout of this game until I got a PS3 and this game. It was worth the wait. I was amazed by this game and when I learned who the killer was, my Jaw dropped literally. It's so amazing, Now I'm just back tracking and cleaning up for the trophies. Awesome none the less.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I put my self on a Media Blackout of this game until I got a PS3 and this game. It was worth the wait. I was amazed by this game and when I learned who the killer was, my Jaw dropped literally. It's so amazing, Now I'm just back tracking and cleaning up for the trophies. Awesome none the less.[/QUOTE]
I did the same thing, no reviews, movies or even pctures. Glad I restrained myself, I could have easily ruined the game by following it too close.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I put my self on a Media Blackout of this game until I got a PS3 and this game. It was worth the wait. I was amazed by this game and when I learned who the killer was, my Jaw dropped literally. It's so amazing, Now I'm just back tracking and cleaning up for the trophies. Awesome none the less.[/QUOTE]

I loved it :D

Once it hits like 25. I will buy it. I'm glad I got through it without looking on line for spoilers or for help or anything. How is the DLC for it?

Beat the game earlier today. It didn't really hook me immediately (that wasn't until Shaun got kidnapped) but once I was hooked I had to keep going. Loved the game , and finding out the identity of the killer was a real shocker (though disappointing).

Got a question (although it's more asking for opinions). Since I've beaten the game , and I want to get the rest of the trophies , I don't know whether I should use a trophy guide or not. On one hand a trophy guide would make things go quickly and easily , on the other hand that seems like it would take some of the fun out of figuring out which things I need to do differently.

I've already read some of the things that I need to change , either here or elsewhere , mostly relating to the 4 Heroes and the Perfect Crime trophies.

Once you beat the game it's okay to look up a guide for rest of the trophies. Trust me, the Perfect Crime trophy is not simple if you do it on your own, mainly because people had problems with Ethan (i.e.
how many times he has to be arrested? Does it matters if he got arrested after the lizard trail or the motel?

Also, as for the Kamikaze trophy, you probably want to use the guide/hints from other gamers... The trick in that one is
try not to scrape the cop's car! If you do, you will not get the Kamikaze trophy
You can't make any mistakes until the final barricade... The final barricade doesn't really matters, but i find it strange that you still get the Kamikaze trophy even if you make a left or straight... It seems to me the right side is the way to go. If you go straight or left, you end up
killing one of the cops or at least heavily wound him

Goo luck hunting all of the remaining trophies and make sure you read my glitches...

Lastly, the All Ending trophy is accumulative... As long as you have all of the endings, you'll get the trophy regardless how many saves you used. It's possible that you can't get all endings in one save if you encounter the Jayden's Blue glitch.

Of course, the painful part of the All Ending trophy is sitting through the credits... You can't skip them :whistle2:( However, right after the scene where Ethan takes on the Shark, you can use the PS button and get out of the game and the status will be saved.

The game is on sale this week at Kmart, and I was just wondering is it still worth the money if you've had the identity of the killer spoiled for you?

[quote name='rainking187']The game is on sale this week at Kmart, and I was just wondering is it still worth the money if you've had the identity of the killer spoiled for you?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say yes (especially if it's on sale anyway). The story still takes some twists and turns and has plenty of tense moments. In a way , knowing who the killer is can make the game kinda like re-watching Fight Club or The Sixth Sense after knowing the twists in those movies. Since know your playing the game with extra knowledge and can look at scenes in a different view.

And besides , knowing/finding out who the killer is is only half the adventure , seeing how it all plays out is just as exciting (since there are numerous endings for each of the 4 characters).

[quote name='rainking187']The game is on sale this week at Kmart, and I was just wondering is it still worth the money if you've had the identity of the killer spoiled for you?[/QUOTE]
No, the story just doesn't hold interest once you know the killer. You'll just be hopscotching your way to the end with mild interest and even then, the reveal is disappointing. Just buy Seven and watch that instead.

[quote name='shadowkast']can't wait for the "Move" patch!!![/QUOTE]

Is that some wishful thinking or have they mentioned anything about really utilizing the Move controller when it is available?

Straight from the mouth of David Cage, the DLC has been "moved to the backburner" due to Sony wanting them to work on Move support. And the way David Cage says it, on the backburner means "potentially canned"... especially in regards to the part about not finishing the story.

The good news is that Quantic Dream's moody adventure game for the PlayStation 3, Heavy Rain, is going to fully support the PlayStation Move motion controller when it launches later this year. The bad news is that decision's impact.

Quantic Dream CEO David Cage says that the three hour-long episodes planned for the game are on the backburner until Move is fully integrated. "Unfortunately, Sony preferred to ask us to focus on Move to support the device rather than on creating new content," Cage told NowGamer.

"This is a decision I can understand, and I am certainly happy we had the opportunity to play with this device and to support it, although I am certainly disappointed for fans we could not finish the story of HR the way we intended," he added.

Whether we'll ever see those remaining Heavy Rain "Chronicles" remains to be seen—perhaps Move support will spur further interest—but Mr. Cage does not sound too pleased.
IIRC, we were originally supposed to have four episodes, one for each character. Don't count on any more DLC, it seems.

Shouldn't the DLC have been made before the game came out? I feel like the remaining chapters would have been canceled/delayed regardless of the Move.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Shouldn't the DLC have been made before the game came out? I feel like the remaining chapters would have been canceled/delayed regardless of the Move.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that sound like what everyone always complains about with DLC? If it was done *before* the game came out, shouldn't it have just been *in* the game? I'm weirdly happier hearing that it was stuff that was going to be newly created.

Still sucks, though, and it's absolutely bizarre that Sony would turn down extra revenue from DLC for Move support. I mean, it's Heavy Rain... is this the game that's going to sell extra Move units? Is it even the kind of game that you can market to Move's target audience?

I can only assume that it falls into the Socom category of "HEY LOOK, GUYS, WE AREN'T THE WII BECAUSE OUR WIIMOTE GAMES ARE MATURE. HELLZ YEAH."

This has been bugging me but has there been any confirmation that Move support will be a patch or will we have to buy the game again? From the trailer, it definitely looks like they'll re-release it... and probably at full price.

[quote name='007']Doesn't that sound like what everyone always complains about with DLC? If it was done *before* the game came out, shouldn't it have just been *in* the game? I'm weirdly happier hearing that it was stuff that was going to be newly created.

Still sucks, though, and it's absolutely bizarre that Sony would turn down extra revenue from DLC for Move support. I mean, it's Heavy Rain... is this the game that's going to sell extra Move units? Is it even the kind of game that you can market to Move's target audience?

I can only assume that it falls into the Socom category of "HEY LOOK, GUYS, WE AREN'T THE WII BECAUSE OUR WIIMOTE GAMES ARE MATURE. HELLZ YEAH."[/QUOTE]

Not really. Just because they're made during the making the game doesnt mean they have to be part of the game. The "Chronicles" were just add on elements to fill in details about the game itself. Think of it like a movie. You have the feature film, but some DVD's come with some sort of annex or short film that's related to the movie but wouldn't fit in with the rest of the plot.

The main reason I figured it'd be done during the making of the actual game is because they're using real actors for all their movements and it'd be eeasier to have them do those extra chapters then than calling them back, and hoping they still look the same and/or aren't busy doing some other project. Not to mention while the game is being made, everything is already set up for the process. Doing all of that months later is a lot more work.

Adding move controls isn't hard from what I've read so it shouldn't be considered the reason the chronicles were canned (delayed sure).

Finally got around to playing Heavy Rain and finished it in about 3 days (8-9hrs)
I would give it a 9/10 much like most reviews. It really is a great game.
Thankfully I didnt accidently get the game ruined by reading SPOILERS about it beforehand.

It reminded me of some old sherlock holmes game for the sega CD. And Some PC detective game from 10years ago.

I have been waiting for a game like this for years And its nice to see that It sold over a million copies and is getting great reviews. While A sequel probably wouldnt work. A prequel of sorts or just a brand new story using all the same elements of heavy rain would be awesome.

The futuristic csi mode was unexepected and worked really well and of course looked great.

I hear the 4.99 DLC is only about 20-25minutes of playtime??
Which is disappointing for 4.99 A good 1-2hrs would be nice. But im still tempted to buy it since the game was really great.

The Taxidermist was free if you pre-ordered HR (from certain retailers). It was okay, it got some spooky moments, but i didn't bother with all of the outcomes (NO TROPHIES :whistle2:() If you can't get enough of the game, $5 DLC is a pretty good option.

I believe a new game is in the work...

bread's done
Back