Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

Some of your expectations for the game seem a bit too high. If you've played Indigo Prophecy you'd know that it has it's awkward moments but they are completely overshadowed by just about everything else.

Sam's response makes me feel a little better but makes me question why they would let such a sub-par part of the game remain without making it better. It also baffles me why we get a video of THAT part of the game before it comes out.

[quote name='Malik112099']Sam's response makes me feel a little better but makes me question why they would let such a sub-par part of the game remain without making it better. It also baffles me why we get a video of THAT part of the game before it comes out.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing because it is the beginning... I think... and any parts on down the line might be spoiler heavy.

[quote name='dallow']This is Sam's response to someone who absolutely hated the mall video seen above.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who this Sam fella is but it sounds like he's already played the game.

I just hope that the demo isn't of the mall scene. That's gonna turn a lot of people off if it really plays out to be that goofy.

[quote name='J7.']Some of your expectations for the game seem a bit too high. If you've played Indigo Prophecy you'd know that it has it's awkward moments but they are completely overshadowed by just about everything else.[/QUOTE]

It sure did... but the overall experience was fantastic. I don't get why people are disregarding the game already because of one scene since they've shown plenty of other scenes and they were all fantastic.

I just read that those words you see during scenes are
actually your characters thoughts and you can act upon them at any time, which will present different actions for you to take - big and small.
That is fucking fantastic, it puts
you into the actual characters almost all the time so that whatever you're really feeling they will play out.
I think you hold a button to see them so
if you don't want to act on them
you don't have to.

[quote name='J7.']I just read that those words you see during scenes are
actually your characters thoughts and you can act upon them at any time, which will present different actions for you to take - big and small.
That is fucking fantastic, it puts
you into the actual characters almost all the time so that whatever you're really feeling they will play out.
I think you hold a button to see them so
if you don't want to act on them
you don't have to.[/QUOTE]

I dont understand how that could be a spoiler. I just watched Indigo Prophecy and wasnt really feeling it. But it might easily be something that you have to play instead of watching someone else.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I dont understand how that could be a spoiler. I just watched Indigo Prophecy and wasnt really feeling it. But it might easily be something that you have to play instead of watching someone else.[/QUOTE]

Some people don't want to know anything about the game. Some like to discuss. I try to cater to both. Sorry. I'd rather over tag than possibly spoil. It is something you have to play. Watching it is like watching an animated movie but playing allows you to direct that movie - so to speak - through the characters.

No J7. you are right. I think everyone has done pretty good with policing themselves with details

Once the game comes out though, I think it'll be fair. And if you want to avoid spoilers then, people may want to stay clear of the thread until they feel comfortable. Again, post launch.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Oooooh, man hope this has that laundry folding mini-game I've always dreamed of.[/QUOTE]
What makes the game special is that I an choose to fold my laundry or let it sit and wrinkle.

Makes you think, doesn't it? ;)

In all seriousness, I can't wait to play.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Oooooh, man hope this has that laundry folding mini-game I've always dreamed of.[/QUOTE]
Wait til you get to mow your own lawn!

This game had better be amazing or else I'm going to demand my time back.

Hmm. Wished I didn't see any of those videos. I went from intrigued to 'wait for substantial drop to even try it'. Potential for utter failure is huge.

The spoiler tags are funny :lol:

See, that's the thing with trophy collectors, we don't care how the actual game turned out. All we care is... trophies :lol:

I still have it pre-ordered and IMO, it's something new to try out. Hey, i have a hard time explaining to people what the heck is flOwer is about. And honestly? There are still a number of people don't get it... What's the fun about controlling a petal? It sure looks good, but i don't see the point.

Well, that's the point! The point being, you don't see the point... Playing flOwer is not just about controlling the petal, it's about the emotional state. Back to Heavy Rain, it's the same concept. It's not about how realistic the characters suppose to look or the plots. It's about the emotional states the game suppose to deliver. Of course, people's tastes are different, so it's hard to explain something actually quite simple... See, i don't see the point watching bunch of men killing over an olive shaped ball, but i understand the thrill of watching your favorite players/teams win, especially the underdog moments.

IMO, every game has one of those underdog moments, just that we're too complex to enjoy simple things from time to time. I used to go with the flow of the majority, but now, i just buy the games i want to try, i want to play. I don't care if people hate it, i don't care if the company made it go bankrupt (hence no part two etc.). I'm not here to support the developers, i'm here to game :)

[quote name='Serpentor']The spoiler tags are funny :lol:

See, that's the thing with trophy collectors, we don't care how the actual game turned out. All we care is... trophies :lol:
[/QUOTE]
Well the trophies for this game will just be time consuming with multiple playthroughs. I really hope each ending is different from another and not just a change of one line of dialogue. Plus, majority of the trophies are secret. Watch one of them be "Master of all QTE sequences." Lol!

But still, I want to get this because it is something different. The market is saturated with shooters and RPGs coming up, but I'm fine with that. Still a change is nice in awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more i read about the mechanics of the game, the more i think Heavy Rain as a glorified version of Saw (which is not a bad game by the way). Probably with out "attacks" but more interactivity between characters and environment.

The way i look at it, i'm not paying $60 for it, more like $51 shipped from Amazon, so if it sucks big time, just trade it in or sell it. Either way, my total expense is still cheaper than rental (not to mention rental is a pain for new releases, you'll be lucky to get it in the initial release week).

[quote name='chakan']You need to unscramble the anagram...[/QUOTE]

I know that :)

Nirron explained that in his post. What i'm getting at is, i don't get the anagram thing and i hope they don't do that in the actual game (well, for one, i suck at anagrams).

Gamalive reviews Heavy Rain:
5/5
http://translate.google.fr/translat...e.com/test/216-heavy-rain-test-ps3-review.htm
translated:
"a never forget game"

"Some will not try it and just say : blah, this is a QTE, I'm not interested. (it's actually so much more than that). If it gives them pleasure so they will miss an incredible strong experience who will you take the guts. So strong, so powerful, so...

Heavy Rain is one of those games that once finished, leave an indelible mark in the hearts of gamers. The kind of game that, once the controller asked, thinking. A real game mature shows that the video game, not a bunch of big guys full of testosterone that kills aliens or a mustached plumber. Thank you, David Cage. Thank you to the team of Quantic Dream. And pity those who completely miss this unique title."

Heavy Rain Reviewed by JVN
9.5/10
http://translate.google.fr/translat...ww.jvn.com/jeux/tests/test-de-heavy-rain.html
translated

Pros :
- Deep Sensitivity
- A masterful art direction
- Subjects never seen before in videogames

Cons :
- Some moves are a little stiff
- Other games will be insipid (hard to move on another game after that)

[quote name='Serpentor']I don't care if people hate it, i don't care if the company made it go bankrupt (hence no part two etc.). I'm not here to support the developers, i'm here to game :)[/QUOTE]

You should support the developers if you want more games of the type you like to play. If you're able to do so without much trouble, like say buying it new instead of used.

With such power to replay that could add ... altogether ten overtime. Each scene is replayed independently, continuing or not the story, while preserving or not its new growth from any free time ...

Heavy Rain is excellent. Despite some regrets (I liked the possibility of a truly immoral purpose). Despite some display bugs, however, quite rare. Despite travel times a little heavy.
The game is sublime. A real slap. The work involved is tremendous. Staging too.

Some detest the gameplay. It is true that it is sometimes clumsy and that displacement of a rigid disconcerting. Some will clear. And they will miss what is, for me, one of the best video gaming experiences of my career. I dived in unrestrained history. I loved it. Everything. All characters. All the plots. And I sincerely hope you do too.

[quote name='Malik112099']TITTIES! Day one buy.[/QUOTE]

fuck the titties. What about all the crotch shots? NOW THAT'S HOT

The demo is featuring the two scenes they showed off previously.

The junkyard scene and convenience store.
I did watch those so I think I'll feel ok about playing the demo.

[quote name='dallow']The demo is featuring the two scenes they showed off previously.

The junkyard scene and convenience store.
I did watch those so I think I'll feel ok about playing the demo.[/QUOTE]

I saw the convenient store scene and can't wait to see how many different ways there are to finish the scene. I haven't seen the junkyard scene so, that will be a nice surprise.

Glad the demo's not of the mall scene. That would turn a lot of people off.:lol:

I finally bit and pre ordered from amazon. It was $56 with free day of release delivery plus the free dlc. I put it off for so long but the release date is coming and id be kinda pissed if i missed the free dlc.

[quote name='dallow']What does it say?

Sell it to me when you're done. Seriously.
If you're allowed to, if so, PM please. ;)

---

Pre-ordered the CE from HMV in the UK.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could, but this one is going into my "game shwag time capsule" box (not to be eBayed until 2035). If any of you happen to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can come over to check it out, as I'm having a couple Heavy Rain parties these next couple weekends. I'll have to make you sign a 2 page non-disclosure agreements.

Got my copy of Playstation Official Magazine today and will be posting some impressions/quotes from the 5 star review later tonight. Check your mail if you subscribe/got in on that Amazon deal!

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I finally bit and pre ordered from amazon. It was $56 with free day of release delivery plus the free dlc. I put it off for so long but the release date is coming and id be kinda pissed if i missed the free dlc.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thanks for mentioning free release day shipping. Glad I signed up for 3 months of free Prime!:D

[quote name='J7.']Got my copy of Playstation Official Magazine today and will be posting some impressions/quotes from the 5 star review later tonight. Check your mail if you subscribe/got in on that Amazon deal![/QUOTE]

Dammit.. I wish my issue would get here but I always get my magazines 1 week after everyone else it seems.

They say the game left them with lasting memories that won't go away, despite the game making you forget you're controlling a game because all of the context-sensitive controller motions that are tied to actions are so close to the actions themselves for the entire game.
For ex juggle beanbags by pressing a series of quick taps of the face buttons, dry yourself off by shaking the sixaxis, swing your child by twirling the right stick.

"Everything makes sense, and - though it's not yet evident at this early stage - the variation in movements and button-presses is simply astounding, mirroring actual movements in wholly unexpected and mind-blowing ways."

"Within a few hours, the controller almost melts away, becoming an extension of our hands, helping us further forget that we're manipulating pixels and polygons on screen."

The controller is "no longer a barrier to the game's world, instead a gateway to direct connection."

"This might be a third-person game with a scripted (yet uniquely open-ended) narrative, but it's more immersive than any first-person game we can recall."

Will post more later. :bouncy:

Nice. I in fact did preorder... release day shipping plus the DLC... plus the want to beat it ASAP to not get spoiled... all equals I'm getting it and playing it right when it comes out. Which is weird... I still haven't played Uncharted 2 (though I do own it, tested it though so already know it)... Demon's Souls was one of the few before this I got on release day and played and played... and played.

Thinking about pre-ordering from HMV...but I think I want the game the day it comes out and not have to worry about shipping mess ups.

I don't want to read the good reviews. I want to read the bad ones. That is where all the dirty laundry is aired out. I do the same with movies.

[quote name='Malik112099']I don't want to read the good reviews. I want to read the bad ones. That is where all the dirty laundry is aired out. I do the same with movies.[/QUOTE]
How about a 6/10 review?

This game is going to get hammered by critics who can see beyond the marvel of modern graphics and emotional gameplay. That's my take and I'm really not sure what to make of it. I'm not playing for graphics nor the 'tough' decision making, so I really have to question why I'm bothering with this game. I had a lot of fun with Shenmue despite if being incredibly corny, so maybe it's a matter of nostalgia. We'll have to see if it can live up to the hype because right now, I just don't see it.

[quote name='Jodou']How about a 6/10 review?

This game is going to get hammered by critics who can see beyond the marvel of modern graphics and emotional gameplay. That's my take and I'm really not sure what to make of it. I'm not playing for graphics nor the 'tough' decision making, so I really have to question why I'm bothering with this game. I had a lot of fun with Shenmue despite if being incredibly corny, so maybe it's a matter of nostalgia. We'll have to see if it can live up to the hype because right now, I just don't see it.[/QUOTE]

I'm psyched for this game but graphics have nothing to do with it. I think the graphics are not the best out there. What should be attracting you to this game is the story, the immersion, the mature adult take on things, the ability to direct the flow the story takes based on every decision you make, controlling characters on the trail of a serial killer, and as you said the emotional aspect.

Going back to the POM review, they also said the following:

This is the first existential game. There "is no right or wrong, just choices."

"Each choice stretches the narrative in slightly different ways, but no choice is correct."

You will feel responsible for the outcome of the story. "The simplest choices can send shockwaves throughout the game."

My take: Just like life.

Basically if you enjoy great stories with gameplay you will love Heavy Rain, but if you don't care for stories much and are always looking to play the game, you may not enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']How about a 6/10 review?

This game is going to get hammered by critics who can see beyond the marvel of modern graphics and emotional gameplay. That's my take and I'm really not sure what to make of it. I'm not playing for graphics nor the 'tough' decision making, so I really have to question why I'm bothering with this game. I had a lot of fun with Shenmue despite if being incredibly corny, so maybe it's a matter of nostalgia. We'll have to see if it can live up to the hype because right now, I just don't see it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dallow']Dang, Gamekult is being tough these days. They gave ME2 a 7 as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like they've lately gone on a "lets give out some low scores" mood lately. They gave a 7 to FFXIII too. And compared to most of the other reviews, their scores seem 2-3 points less than the general averages.

[quote name='J7.']This is the first existential game. There "is no right or wrong, just choices."

"Each choice stretches the narrative in slightly different ways, but no choice is correct."

You will feel responsible for the outcome of the story. "The simplest choices can send shockwaves throughout the game."[/QUOTE]

sounds like a game im playing right now called Mass Effect 2 ;)

[quote name='dallow']Dang, Gamekult is being tough these days. They gave ME2 a 7 as well.[/QUOTE]
Who is Gamekult? Judging by the google translator part of the link, they don't have much relevance over here.

Any site that gives ME2 a 7 doesn't have much to say to me... and I say this as a PS3 owner and a non-360 owner. ME2 is a stellar game and certainly well above a 7 by any measure.

[quote name='Malik112099']sounds like a game im playing right now called Mass Effect 2 ;)[/QUOTE]

Haven't played those games yet. What kinds of choices does it give you without forcing you into a good or evil role?

Looks like I was right about the convenience store scene being in the demo, glad though we get to play the junkyard scene also.

bread's done
Back