Holiday Anime Sale @ Amazon.com (mainly FUNimation & Viz Media titles)

WTK

CAGiversary!
Cyber Monday Deals @ Amazon.com (tons of FUNimation titles added)

EDIT: updated links -> LINK / LINK | Offers expire on December 24th

Some of the deal highlights [updated]:

FUNimation
Viz Media
Other Deals

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Lol, I actually didn't know about the new Soul Eater set.[/QUOTE]
Neither did I. I still have the original four DVD sets and don't plan to get new ones. They were like $35 a pop back then. The prices here for the double packs are amazing.

Btw, if anyone is having trouble deciding what to get, Haibane Renmei is absolutely beautiful!

[quote name='Squarehard']I'm surprised you of all people didn't know that. @_@[/QUOTE]

I actually don't follow any forums other than this one any more. I used to follow mostly anime sites, but my anime viewing went way down since the GF.

[quote name='elessar123']I actually don't follow any forums other than this one any more. I used to follow mostly anime sites, but my anime viewing went way down since the GF.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. *sadface*

It's okay, I'll make sure to watch enough anime for the both of us, and maybe more than some people will do in a lifetime.

Think I may finally pick up Last Exile. Also had Ouran in my cart before I realized I already own it.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']If a Funimation title has the words like "First Season" or "Part 1", and contains only 12-13 episodes, I literally stay away from them. Becuase 99% of the time they will re-release these again in a complete set.[/QUOTE]
In other words, in terms of Blu-ray stay away from:

- Strike Witches
- Shiki
- Legend of Legendary Heroes
- Fairy Tail
- Heaven's Lost Property

Because are all going to be rereleased in a more complete series down the line.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']In other words, in terms of Blu-ray stay away from:

- Strike Witches
- Shiki
- Fairy Tail
- Heaven's Lost Property

Because are all going to be rereleased in a more complete series down the line.[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right. I guarantee Shiki will have one. The rest probably will.

Edit: Shiki was one full Japanese season. The rest are multiple Japanese seasons/series.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']In other words, in terms of Blu-ray stay away from:

- Strike Witches
- Shiki
- Fairy Tail
- Heaven's Lost Property

Because are all going to be rereleased in a more complete series down the line.[/QUOTE]

YES.

Especially Fairy Tail.

The whole 4 part sets available for sale right now only covers Season 1. There's at least 3 more seasons to come that are yet to be released and the series is still going on.

Could anyone recommend Texhnololyze, Shakugan no Shana, Strike Witches or Ga-Rei Zero? Been looking at Ga-Rei Zero and Texhnolyze for awhile but I'm a fan of a decent blind buy.

[quote name='Drahken']sigh, my wallet is already crying but there's so much I want to buy but so little money atm.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Could anyone recommend Texhnololyze, Shakugan no Shana, Strike Witches or Ga-Rei Zero? Been looking at Ga-Rei Zero and Texhnolyze for awhile but I'm a fan of a decent blind buy.[/QUOTE]

Strike Witches is meh. Unless you like fan service. S2 was more fan service.

Shana is ok. I thought the romance was sappy. Not an A+ anime, but it's above average. Have it too, but largely due to liking Noizi Ito and Rie Kugimiya.

Have Ga Rei Zero as well, but haven't bothered watching it. Never heard much about it.

I don't have Texhnolyze, but I remember a friend complaining about it back when it came out. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Could anyone recommend Texhnololyze, Shakugan no Shana, Strike Witches or Ga-Rei Zero? Been looking at Ga-Rei Zero and Texhnolyze for awhile but I'm a fan of a decent blind buy.[/QUOTE]

i havent seen any in the list except ga-rei-zero.

it was honestly pretty good. not the best thing ever but certainly was one of the better ones. my biggest complaint is its 13 episodes when it could of gone to 26 easily. the show is told differently than your usual show too.

Technolyze is probably the most cerebral of all of Geneon's cerebral anime. It is very graphic, has little action, lots of plot and navel gazing, and less dialog than the Headlines segment of PTI. It is definitely not for everyone.

[quote name='DNukem170']Technolyze is probably the most cerebral of all of Geneon's cerebral anime. It is very graphic, has little action, lots of plot and navel gazing, and less dialog than the Headlines segment of PTI. It is definitely not for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Sounds about up my ally then.

Thanks for all the opinions, I am to the point where I am selling some of my older anime to buy newer ones. Just sold my first 6 bleach boxes for $90 on ebay.:D

[quote name='elessar123']Strike Witches is meh. Unless you like fan service. S2 was more fan service.

Shana is ok. I thought the romance was sappy. Not an A+ anime, but it's above average. Have it too, but largely due to liking Noizi Ito and Rie Kugimiya.

Have Ga Rei Zero as well, but haven't bothered watching it. Never heard much about it.

I don't have Texhnolyze, but I remember a friend complaining about it back when it came out. It doesn't appeal to me at all.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much what he said.

Ga Rei Zero is one of the better animes I've seen. Similar to Gungrave in terms of story telling and character development. Recommend it.

Shana's Season 1 is a good price since it has all 25-26 episodes, but Season 2 has been broken up by Funimation up into 13 episodes each (Season 2 Part 1 and Season 2 Part 2) yuck! Good chance either Season 2 will be condensed into a single collection, or both Season 1 and 2 will get the complete collection set (see Soul Eater).

[quote name='Jcaugustine'] Good chance either Season 2 will be condensed into a single collection, or both Season 1 and 2 will get the complete collection set (see Soul Eater).[/QUOTE]
Probably both. I predict a Season 2 Collection sometime in the late summer or early fall 2013, and a complete series collection (barring another movie, OVA, or season) sometime in 2014.

[quote name='DNukem170']Probably both. I predict a Season 2 Collection sometime in the late summer or early fall 2013, and a complete series collection (barring another movie, OVA, or season) sometime in 2014.[/QUOTE]

Considering Shana has three seasons, I don't think a complete collection will be out any time soon. I am waiting for the complete season 2 though.

Unless my Shana the Final figure was a fake... =D

If I didn't already spend a ton of money last week on games and what not I would probably pick up FMA Brotherhood collection 1 and 2.

[quote name='elessar123']Considering Shana has three seasons, I don't think a complete collection will be out any time soon. I am waiting for the complete season 2 though.

Unless my Shana the Final figure was a fake... =D[/QUOTE]

2012-11-26_18-14-59_943_zps6cc53fb7.jpg

The ongoing offers from Cyber Monday @ Amazon.com: LINK and LINK are suppose to last until December 24th (part of the up to 60% off select anime titles).

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Trigun on blu ray and Summer wars are higher now....guess sale is over.[/QUOTE]
Those and Oblivion Island as well.

[quote name='WTK']Those and Oblivion Island as well.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I was planning on getting that one, shouldn't have hesitated. :whistle2:(

I rather liked Strike Witches, saw it on Netflix Instant (dubbed & I still liked it). I was all in on Texhnoloyze & then it got weird. I owned all but the last DVD and not interested in seeing how it ends.

[quote name='jedimario']Any opinions on Samurai 7?[/QUOTE]A guy who used to do some really awesome reviews at Toonzone called it one of the best anime ever and easily the best anime Gonzo has ever done. It is currently airing on Adult Swim, but it views better on DVD/Blu-ray.

[quote name='DNukem170']A guy who used to do some really awesome reviews at Toonzone called it one of the best anime ever and easily the best anime Gonzo has ever done. It is currently airing on Adult Swim, but it views better on DVD/Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]
Ive only seen up to episode 17 or 18 but was a bit disappointed with Samurai 7. Had too much hype but felt very generic and annoying characters (that little village girl and her big yellow armored robot samurai guy were so annoying).

I'd probably re-watch Afro Samuria than finish up Samurai 7.

Texhnolyze came in today along side the berserk movie. Haven't had a chance to watch Tex yet but berserk was pretty good, despite the fact I don't care for cg in anime. Soo many anime on my plate, its gonna be a merry christmas after all.

Is Sekirei any good, worth picking up Season 1+2?

I wanted to get Shiki, but only part 2 is on sale, so I pass...

[quote name='DRevan']Is Sekirei any good, worth picking up Season 1+2? [/QUOTE]I personally like it, but it depends on how much fanservice humor and gag boobs you can take. There is also this annoying subplot that still hasn't been resolved in the manga even though it could have been solved in 10 minutes. Season 2 is definitely better and both opening themes are beautiful.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Texhnolyze came in today along side the berserk movie. Haven't had a chance to watch Tex yet but berserk was pretty good, despite the fact I don't care for cg in anime. Soo many anime on my plate, its gonna be a merry christmas after all.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I failed to mention that the CG is a little awkward in another thread. I didn't care for it that much, but otherwise the art is very clean-cut.

[quote name='DRevan']Is Sekirei any good, worth picking up Season 1+2?

I wanted to get Shiki, but only part 2 is on sale, so I pass...[/QUOTE]
If you like animated titties, you'll like it. The plot is like Pokemon, but with hot girls/occasional guy instead of animals.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']Ive only seen up to episode 17 or 18 but was a bit disappointed with Samurai 7. Had too much hype but felt very generic and annoying characters (that little village girl and her big yellow armored robot samurai guy were so annoying).

I'd probably re-watch Afro Samuria than finish up Samurai 7.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that it is a bit overrated, but that's the problem when you try to make an anime series based on one of the best Japanese films ever. The series is good, but Seven Samurai is much better.

BTW, the robot samurai is the equivalent to Toshiro Mifume's character in the original film.

[quote name='DRevan']Is Sekirei any good, worth picking up Season 1+2? [/QUOTE]

I saw some of it when I had the Funimation network. A ton of fan service and some harem anime aspects. Those things tend to turn me off of a series.

Was waiting to see how the 12 Days of Savings on Rightstuf went before I made a purchase. But things are starting to go off sale already on Amazon, so I got: Fruits Basket: Complete Collection (Collector's Edition) & Ai Yori Aoshi: Complete Collection (Classic Line).

[quote name='WTK'][/QUOTE]
Fans of Samurai Champloo were more than a bit nonplussed that the original BD release of this was upscaled from an SD master, but of course given the genesis and era of the show's creation, there was no other alternative. This new BD release appears to be the same AVC/1080p upconvert port, but don't let the term "upconvert" scare you away unnecessarily. Despite the doomsday prophecies, Samurai Champloo actually looks pretty darned spry on this Blu-ray set. Line detail is excellent and color is especially robust and well saturated. This is one of the most inventively visual animes in recent (maybe not so recent) memory, and while it's not at the absolute peak of hi-def wonderment, it looks sufficiently sharp and well detailed here to rate a well above average score. Sometimes people just like to complain.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Samurai-Champloo-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/17449/

Ironically I started rewatching on dvd this a few days ago and only have finished episode 4 so far. Can anyone who upgraded from the dvd set to blu ray comment if it was worth it? This and Basilisk are the two animes I've had an eye on upgrading but I'm still on the fence.

I really want Shiki and Black Butler, but I know both will end up being cheaper when either the second part isn't only in an LE or when a complete collection is released.

I personally think it is worth it for the shelf space alone, but I don't own an HDTV so I can't speak to image quality.

How do you still not own an HDTV? They are so cheap now, especially if you're just buying your first one and don't want something overly extravagant.

[quote name='Sway']http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Samurai-Champloo-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/17449/

Ironically I started rewatching on dvd this a few days ago and only have finished episode 4 so far. Can anyone who upgraded from the dvd set to blu ray comment if it was worth it? This and Basilisk are the two animes I've had an eye on upgrading but I'm still on the fence.[/QUOTE]

i bought this awhile ago on blu ray. i did not buy in on dvd i only saw it on adult swim countless times.

that being said it really looks pretty good in blu ray honestly. i do not know if it is worth the upgrade from DVD. but honestly it does look pretty good as far as i recall. there was nothing that stood out as bad in fact it all looked pretty good honestly. its a three disc set if i recall as well. overall pretty good quality release.

the thing i will say here is this. i recently bought a blu ray player and i noticed it makes blu rays look noticeably better than the ps3 does. and i watch samuri champloo on the ps3 as i got it before i got a stand alone player. and it already looked pretty good on the ps3 so i'd imagine it would look noticeably better on a stand alone player.

whether its worth 20 dollars or not? i don't know. im just commenting and saying it was a pretty good release. if i were you and had the spare 20 i'd buy it. however it was 27 dollars during the summer when i got it. so i dont see this anime getting much more expensive as it has been on sale before so there is that to factor in. but i could be wrong.

its no evangelion 1.11 or 2.22. on blu ray or kurokami on blu ray which are easily the two best looking anime blu rays ive seen....but it is pretty good actually really damn good considering it came from SD source material. though my ranking of kurokami could change as i bought a bunch on this sale so but i doubt evangelion will get topped. if it did i'd be impressed as hell. speaking of i probably should watch that on the stand alone player to blow my mind and not the ps3.

I'd definitely recommend the upgrade for Champloo. I think they did a good job considering it wasn't originally produced for full HD, so the touch ups on the blu version you will notice quite a bit of difference compared to the DVD versions. However it is of course not the best quality in the world for HD, but for being an upgrade of the series it does give you a noticeable jump up in comparison.

And there are also discussions out there between whether or not the original blu release of Champloo or the re-release of the classics version had better or worse quality.

I own both sets and there is absolutely no noticeable difference in video or audio that I could identify watching through them both, so don't get caught up in all that junk if you run into it.

[quote name='Zaku77']How do you still not own an HDTV? They are so cheap now, especially if you're just buying your first one and don't want something overly extravagant.[/QUOTE]Because in order to get a decent size HDTV, I would also have to get an entirely new shelving unit to hold it as well as finding a place to put all the stuff we have on there (Gundam models, Pokemon albums, mother's bell and vase collections, all the crap I made when I was a kid) which is hard because we have no storage space as it is.

bread's done
Back