Hori Fighting Stick Ex2 Toys r us In store only

s2k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I just called and checked local stock (you can do this online).
Price: 59.99

Its regular price but these babies are hard to find especially with street fighter 4 and marvel vs capcom 2 coming out.

Its a new item so many many stores should have them in stock.

I hear its a great stick for those on a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got it yesterday in Jersey City, thanks OP. Still getting used to it, Ultras are not coming out as easy as the analog stick on my 360 controller. I guess I just need to get used to it.

I'm not that good of a SF player, so dropping $150 on a stick, that will probably not improve my game that much IMO is a waste.

[quote name='dan13l858']Yeah, i picked up one in San Diego then i picked up a TE stick so i returned it. It's a good stick.[/QUOTE]

You returned the hori or the TE? Did you open both? How much better is the TE?

I went to TRU just to see about these..sticks. I seen someone in line with his buddy for two or three of them. He was telling his friend what a killing he'd make off of them on Ebay and Amazon.

I understand if you want one, but to make it hard on the rest of us? How stupid. None the less, they took what was left in the store.

[quote name='Import']Says they have them in stock in a couple stores by me, but I'll wait for my SE pre-order.

To say these are better then the SE Madcatz stick is bullshit, and also can't be modded as easily.[/quote]
hmm Madcatz is well known for making low quality accessories if you didn't know that. The only exception was the SF4 TE stick because it was official stick for SF4 and they used high quality parts (sanwa) on it. If you're compare the SF4 SE and Hori EX 2 the Hori has much more quality parts. THe SE uses general parts and are not as responsive as the Hori. It is true SF4 SE is easier to mod because it uses plug connectors.

And for christ's sake why isn't any of TRU here getting any >.> I want one for SF4 too >.

So I went to TRU today that the electronics supervisor says he doesn't have any.

My cousin in Milwaukee gets the same song and dance at his TRU but manages to find four sitting on the shelf in an odd place in electronics.

I go back with the UPC code and it says they have 4 sticks in. The clerk goes checking around, then asks the same supervisor who goes looking to no avail.

I really feel like someone at the store is hiding these things to buy later. I just don't understand how their inventory would have stated received if they didn't actually received it.

poop

hori ex2> mad catz SE stick

Hands down in price and value and quality. My TE stick is on its way from gamestop and im sure it will be the best one and stomp them both but for 149 shipped id hope so.

I own and did the button swap out on this stick, really wasn't hard or anything just time consuming and took a few tools I didn't have on hand. Pineconeattack.com has a really good write up about it and following that I was fine. Even stock though it is better then the 360 controller.

Thanks OP. When I left school on Tuesday I went to my local Toys R Us and found they had two in stock. I purchased one and have been using it on SFIV to get used to it for the upcoming MvC2 release.

I only wish the Xbox 369 version of this stick was like the PS3 (Soul Calibur 4) or Wii versions which have eight face buttons instead of six. Cest la Vie.

Just picked one up! I saw 4 more sticks left at the TRU close to Chicago.

Now all I need is SF4 to test it out. I can't imagine playing any fighting game on the xbox 360 controller. That D-pad is horrible!

I called and asked several TRU's in San Gabriel Valley but they still don't have any in-stock. Is it a specific area? :|

I just picked up 2, one for me and another for my cousin in the Poughkeepsie N.Y. TRUS. I saw only one left. Thanks a ton OP!!

If your unable to snag one of these locally, i have a gently used one for trade/sell. Just made the jump to SE, going to mod the SE instead of dropping 200~ on a TE...

Snagged the last one at Fairless Hills. Store locator said there were none in stock, and I stopped by after hitting up Best Buy. It works well, hopefully I can get used to it for MvC2.

[quote name='silentspork']Picked one up..not entirely happy with it. Wonder how much trouble I'll have getting my money back[/quote]

What don't you like about it? Have you tried the madcatz TE or SE sticks?

Jeff

To Everyone: you have to map the buttons in ALL the games but once you do that its perfect. Personlly I just do top 3 buttons Low punch med punch high punch then bottom 3 buttons low kick med kick high kick. Best way for me personally.

[quote name='s2k']To Everyone: you have to map the buttons in ALL the games but once you do that its perfect. Personlly I just do top 3 buttons Low punch med punch high punch then bottom 3 buttons low kick med kick high kick. Best way for me personally.[/quote]
That's what I did exactly and now it works much better. This is my first time owning a fighting stick and I've been playing SF with a regular controller up till now. I think i need to put some more time into it. I'm having a really hard time doing the dragon punch motion and landing them. BTW, I got mine from the TRU in Bloomingdale, IL. near stratford. There were like 3 left last night. The place was a ghost town.

I just got one of these today after using the xbox controller for 2 weeks and I have to say its like NIGHT and DAY. I was able to get thru a lot of the challenge combos that were just atrociously impossible on the controller. I'm glad I got one but I will probably go for a TE when I can actually snag one for retail price and use the EX2 as a secondary for when I have people over. I'll let the guests use the EX2 so I don't hear them whining about the xbox controller. That being said, I am quite satisfied with the EX2 and for $65 after tax it's hard to complain since it's the least expensive joystick out there and it isn't marked up like crazy.

[quote name='silentspork']Picked one up..not entirely happy with it. Wonder how much trouble I'll have getting my money back[/QUOTE]
Stick is too short for my tastes, haven't tried the SE or TE sticks.

I am currently running the fightpad, is this a big step up? The wife would put on her angry panties for me spending $90 on controllers just to play SFIV.

[quote name='eshreve12']I am currently running the fightpad, is this a big step up? The wife would put on her angry panties for me spending $90 on controllers just to play SFIV.[/QUOTE]

Depends if you like playing SF on a stick. I grew up playing on a pad so I just bought the fight pad to play it. Works fine for me. People who say you absolutely need a stick to be competitive are lying.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Depends if you like playing SF on a stick. I grew up playing on a pad so I just bought the fight pad to play it. Works fine for me. People who say you absolutely need a stick to be competitive are lying.[/quote]

Unless by be competitive, they actually mean play in a tournament.

Most SF4 tournaments require you to play on an arcade cabinet or with pre-provided TE Sticks. Though the game is still fairly new to the US Console market.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Depends if you like playing SF on a stick. I grew up playing on a pad so I just bought the fight pad to play it. Works fine for me. People who say you absolutely need a stick to be competitive are lying.[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you enter a tournament playing on a pad, and getting your ass absolutely destroyed.

Competitive fighting games 100000% need sticks.

[quote name='Tee_Ken']That's what I did exactly and now it works much better. This is my first time owning a fighting stick and I've been playing SF with a regular controller up till now. I think i need to put some more time into it. I'm having a really hard time doing the dragon punch motion and landing them. BTW, I got mine from the TRU in Bloomingdale, IL. near stratford. There were like 3 left last night. The place was a ghost town.[/quote]

If you're having a problem with dragon-punch motions specifically with Street Fighter IV, you might consider taking a look at this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLxLEMxzjqM

I've been playing fighting games for quite some time now and I still found this particular bit of information to be very useful for SF IV; but more especially if you're struggling with consistency in hitting that dragon-punch motion. This isn't just for Hori EX2 users but really anybody with a square-gate design under their stick (you'll know it's a square-gate if you rotate your stick and hit only 4 corners).

On-topic note: The Horis appear to be flooding in all over at IL TRU's. But am I the only one that has sticker/label issues like air-holes and stuff? Seems like a rush job to me... :roll:

^^^^^^^That video proves that SFIV has the most lax inputs of any fighting game this generation. You don't even have to do the fucking motion to do the move. Ugh. I love the game, but c'mon.

[quote name='craigbezzle']^^^^^^^That video proves that SFIV has the most lax inputs of any fighting game this generation. You don't even have to do the fucking motion to do the move. Ugh. I love the game, but c'mon.[/quote]
hmm no not really. Thing was he had the motion ready that why it seems like he didn't input the whole motion but actually he did. All SF are like this, it calls pre-motion. Like with charge chars you can start the charge motion while you in the middle of the first hit. When you do a combo say with ryu. You wanna do Jump HK->cr. mk-> spin kick. for that cr. mk -> spin kick transition you can just flick the stick back because you were crounching that counts as a down input.

[quote name='craigbezzle']I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you enter a tournament playing on a pad, and getting your ass absolutely destroyed.

Competitive fighting games 100000% need sticks.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say tournament competitions at all. I just said competitive. People are putting words in my mouth.

I'm just saying, if someone just plays the game on XBL or PSN and has never used a stick, don't fucking tell them they absolutely need it when they don't. I don't even play SFIV anymore because I think the Revenge meter system is broken.

And yes you could probably kick my ass at it. Congratulations.

[quote name='craigbezzle']I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you enter a tournament playing on a pad, and getting your ass absolutely destroyed.

Competitive fighting games 100000% need sticks.[/QUOTE]

Not true. My friends and I are tournament caliber SFIV players.. and even though I use a stick, they don't. Most people will tell you that sticks are a lot easier to use once you learn them, but really it's personal preference, not everyone likes them.

While I'll agree that at lower levels sticks vs. pads doesn't really matter. I think there's a reason though why you never see pad players at the very top in tournaments and not just the fact that in the arcade there are only sticks.

[quote name='luan87us']hmm no not really. Thing was he had the motion ready that why it seems like he didn't input the whole motion but actually he did. All SF are like this, it calls pre-motion. Like with charge chars you can start the charge motion while you in the middle of the first hit. When you do a combo say with ryu. You wanna do Jump HK->cr. mk-> spin kick. for that cr. mk -> spin kick transition you can just flick the stick back because you were crounching that counts as a down input.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but you are off by a long-shot. The combo you've stated is correct, and pre-motions have existed forever. The point the author is trying to make, however, is the change in actual inputs for the move. This does not work with every street fighter game. The fact of the matter is, the person is only inputting df, d, db, d, df+punch. There is no solitary forward motion which was required for pretty much every other game.

I don't know if you read the comments for the video either, but you can also execute a dragon punch specifically in sf iv by just pressing df, df+punch. That is to say, if you hit the bottom-right corner of your stick twice (if facing right), and tap a punch (or kick depending on character/move) button, the game will acknowledge it as a 'dragon-punch' motion.

And if you still don't understand what I'm talking about, take a look at this: http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Street_Fighter_IV . It's listed in the very brief section under Shortcut Input.

I'm going to break up this discussion by saying if you plan on buying this stick to flip it, it's not worth it so don't bother. Personal experience. That is all.

[quote name='jedifrog21']I'm going to break up this discussion by saying if you plan on buying this stick to flip it, it's not worth it so don't bother. Personal experience. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Oh so your the bastard that hoards everything! I kid. I kid.

Looking at eBay values it doesn't look flip tastic, and I passed on the opportunity to grab about three myself especially after reading they are a bitch to mod. I might grab a cheap one (sub 40) on fleabay down the road tho.

[quote name='kiwixstyle']I'm sorry, but you are off by a long-shot. The combo you've stated is correct, and pre-motions have existed forever. The point the author is trying to make, however, is the change in actual inputs for the move. This does not work with every street fighter game. The fact of the matter is, the person is only inputting df, d, db, d, df+punch. There is no solitary forward motion which was required for pretty much every other game.

I don't know if you read the comments for the video either, but you can also execute a dragon punch specifically in sf iv by just pressing df, df+punch. That is to say, if you hit the bottom-right corner of your stick twice (if facing right), and tap a punch (or kick depending on character/move) button, the game will acknowledge it as a 'dragon-punch' motion.

And if you still don't understand what I'm talking about, take a look at this: http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Street_Fighter_IV . It's listed in the very brief section under Shortcut Input.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for backing me up and actually knowing what you're talking about. Shit irks me to no end. Like I said before, I love the fuck out of some SFIV, but I really wish they had a 'classic input' control scheme like HD remix. I hate accidentally doing different moves than I've done for 15 years because the inputs are so laxed.

There are some around both my house and my campus apparently.

These sticks are decent, nothing compared to a TE stick, but of course, a big price difference. I know one Gamestop in NJ has these for $40 about 2 weeks ago when the EX2 still showed up on the site, but it's taken off now.

The EX2s should be pretty cheap after the SFIV hype dies down though.

Modding the art and buttons of this stick should be pretty easy, don't bother with the stick.

bread's done
Back