Horror Movie Recommendation Thread

[quote name='whoknows']Forgot to mention Scream 4. It was great, and the second best Scream after the first IMO.[/QUOTE]
I agree on both accounts.

[quote name='sendme'] insidious is good as long as you don't watch the last 10 or 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I liked the movie up until the last half hour-ish.
Making the supernatural something directly confrontable ruins the entire spirit of the haunting/possession genre.
Haunting/Possession is the only subgenre of horror that I really get into, and Insidious almost nailed it, but it lost me in that last bit. Still, it's 80% good.

I loved Insidious. All of it. I felt like that shit could really happen to certain individuals. I was totally absorbed into this movie. I can't recall the last time a movie had me spooked.

Might not be 'horror' per se but Troll Hunter was really good.
kind of blair witch meets godzilla with some old world oddness to it.
watched it on streming netflix 2-3 wks ago.

Already mentioned, but I'll second:
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Changeling
Videodrome

and add:
A Tale of Two Sisters
The Vanishing

Have not seen Inside mentioned yet. Its a newer(last decade)French horror movie. Seems like a lot of the best horror movies right now are coming outof Europe(sorry guys I cant stand the weird Asian crap).

Id recommend it to anyone, but I especially give it a big recommendation to whoknows because he said he enjoys the home invasion stuff. Im in the same boat. I still love my zombie movies but outside those I like slasher movies that seem like they could actually happen the best(Eden Lake, Strangers, Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I just cant get in to the cheesy/over the top 80s stuff the way I used to.

Since joining Netflix Streaming, I've been checking out the horror section, to my surprise quite a few b-movie horror films are in there.

I found "Hisss (2010)" pretty good, IMDb Link & Wiki Link
I was actually the first Bollywood Horror Film, and was impressed

plot:

Based on the Far Eastern myth of the snake woman who is able to take on human form

On netflix I would say Troll Hunter or The Perfect Host, even though the latter is more suspense, but still really good.

In general Severance, Freddy v. Jason, The Descent, Trick r' Treat, and Slither are all fantastic.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Exactly. I liked the movie up until the last half hour-ish.
Making the supernatural something directly confrontable ruins the entire spirit of the haunting/possession genre.
Haunting/Possession is the only subgenre of horror that I really get into, and Insidious almost nailed it, but it lost me in that last bit. Still, it's 80% good.[/QUOTE]

The part that did it for me was
when the father sat in the chair after he found out he had the gift

Also another one that I liked was Penny Dreadful. The Eight Films to Die For have some good ones but their are also some really bad ones in the collections.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Have not seen Inside mentioned yet. Its a newer(last decade)French horror movie. Seems like a lot of the best horror movies right now are coming outof Europe(sorry guys I cant stand the weird Asian crap).

Id recommend it to anyone, but I especially give it a big recommendation to whoknows because he said he enjoys the home invasion stuff. Im in the same boat. I still love my zombie movies but outside those I like slasher movies that seem like they could actually happen the best(Eden Lake, Strangers, Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I just cant get in to the cheesy/over the top 80s stuff the way I used to.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to look into that. It's not on instant watch, so I may have to buy it.

And I feel exactly the same way. The stuff that feels like it could really happen is what I most enjoy to watch and is the scariest to me.

People hate me for saying it and always give me shit for it, but it's exactly the reason that out of all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies I prefer The Beginning the most. I respect the original for what it did, but I didn't see it for the first time til a few years ago and it just looks too...fake now. I can watch it and say, hey it's cool how they did this or that, but watch it and have it scare me? Sorry, it's just not going to happen. It's why I prefer The Beginning. It just pushes that whole being at the wrong place at the wrong time thing to a new level, plus it looks more believable. When someone is being hurt or dying, it looks like that's exactly what's happening to them, and it's gut wrenching and terrifying to watch, because it's easy to imagine yourself in the same situation. Plus it has so many memorable scenes to me.

I mean, the basement scene...holy shit, it's one of the most intense movies I've seen because it feels like it's something that could really happen. I mean, if you were in that situation, would you do much different from how it happened in the movie? The sets are amazingly well done. The house feels like a horrifying place that you'd never want to be, and if you look, you can tell they paid a lot of attention to detail. I guess I'm just trying to say that there's just a lot to love about the movie if someone can just take their head out of their ass and see that it does a lot right.

EDIT: Also want to throw Wolf Creek into the list of recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']I'll have to look into that. It's not on instant watch, so I may have to buy it.

And I feel exactly the same way. The stuff that feels like it could really happen is what I most enjoy to watch and is the scariest to me.

People hate me for saying it and always give me shit for it, but it's exactly the reason that out of all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies I prefer The Beginning the most. I respect the original for what it did, but I didn't see it for the first time til a few years ago and it just looks too...fake now. I can watch it and say, hey it's cool how they did this or that, but watch it and have it scare me? Sorry, it's just not going to happen. It's why I prefer The Beginning. It just pushes that whole being at the wrong place at the wrong time thing to a new level, plus it looks more believable. When someone is being hurt or dying, it looks like that's exactly what's happening to them, and it's gut wrenching and terrifying to watch, because it's easy to imagine yourself in the same situation. Plus it has so many memorable scenes to me.

I mean, the basement scene...holy shit, it's one of the most intense movies I've seen because it feels like it's something that could really happen. I mean, if you were in that situation, would you do much different from how it happened in the movie? The sets are amazingly well done. The house feels like a horrifying place that you'd never want to be, and if you look, you can tell they paid a lot of attention to detail. I guess I'm just trying to say that there's just a lot to love about the movie if someone can just take their head out of their ass and see that it does a lot right.

EDIT: Also want to throw Wolf Creek into the list of recommendations.[/QUOTE]

I am with you. The only stuff that gets me going is the stuff I can picture happening to myself. I cant imagine very easily some ghost haunting my family and I cant imagine some werewolf chasing me through the woods. I can however imagine breaking down on a small road and having some crazy cannibal family just happen to live there or going camping and some weird inbred family that lives in the woods torturing us.

I grew up in the 90s watching the late 70s and early 80s movies and loved them to death, but as an adult if I put Nostalgia aside I can tell how crappy many of them were or at least how dated they are.

I wasnt a big fan of wolf creek. Talking about the inbreed hick stuff made me think of Wrong Turn 1 and 2 which are both pretty solid from that genre. I dont believe I have seen 3/4 yet though and if i have they couldn't have been that memorable.

Another movie series that ill toss out that I am not the biggest fan of but they are still decent movies and deserve a nod in the thread is Final Destination. As I said I have thought they were just ok, but I know a few people that love them.

If you want a more comedy but Halloween related.....

Ahhhhh Zombies is good stuff.

Definitely watchable with the ladies that might be scared on the real horror.

I always thought the first few Hellraiser movies were good.

Actually, any 80's Horror is just miles better than anything now.

[quote name='xycury']If you want a more comedy but Halloween related.....

Ahhhhh Zombies is good stuff.

Definitely watchable with the ladies that might be scared on the real horror.

I always thought the first few Hellraiser movies were good.

Actually, any 80's Horror is just miles better than anything now.[/QUOTE]

A few more comedy horrors that really deserve a mention

Doghouse - Tied for my fav comedy horror of all time. A half dozen or so friends go to a small town in the woods for a bachelor party. Only problem is all the women there have went absolutely insane and now attack everything in site. Sexist at times but always good cheesy fun I say this is def 1 of my two favs.

Fido - The other movie tied for my fav comedy/horro. Set to be like an old 1950s leave it to beaver style movie....with the twist that humanity has survived a zombie Apocalypse and enslaved Zombies. The nice family the movie follows just got their first Zombie which thrills the boy in the movie but terrifies the father to no end. Love this movie to death and having the legendary Billy Connolly in it as Fido makes the movie even better!

Severance - A company that makes weapons goes on a team builders trip to some remote cabin. Of course nearby there are a bunch of crazed war refuges who begin killing people. This leans a little harder towards horror and a little away from comedy but still fits here and I really enjoyed this movie(enough to watch it 3 or 4 times).

Mum and Dad - This weird ass British couple kidnaps children, locks them in their home and then treats them like they are their real kids. Very sadistic but ammusing at times.

No clue how this holds up since it has been years and years, but The People Under The Stairs freaked me out when I was a kid. It is an instant watch netflix movie.

bread's done
Back