How good is Ico?

woobacca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I noticed a used/complete copy of Ico selling for $10 at FYE in Trumbull today. With all the recent talk about Shadow, I figured it'd be worth picking up their first game (though unrelated) especially at this price. I noticed CAG-O-Matic pricing Ico at $15-$20, so I'm pretty happy about the find.

I could have posted this in the Shopping Discussions/Bragging Rights section, but I'm more interested to hear what CAGs think about the game itself. Unfortunately I can't search the forum on a word as short as "ICO" so if this topic has been discussed already feel free to flame away or direct me to the appropriate thread.

I'm relatively new to the PS2 - just bought it last February - so I have a lot of catching up to do on PS2 gaming.

Good. Very Good. Although it is really more of an experience than a game. If you are expecting furious combat or a story that makes any sense at all, look elsewhere. But Ico provides a truely one of a kind experience. It is the sensation that every adventure game since Zork has tried to create, but this is the first one to actually do it. Play it with no distractions, on as big a tv as possible, and with surround sound. There really is nothing else like it.

Its ok. Its got beautiful art direction, but combat can get tiring because you only have 1 attack.

its really an amazing game. its kind of the opposite of shadow of the colossus, no bosses (except the end) and lots of puzzling and platforming. the graphics still hold up, especially considering this came out very early in the PS2s life. and like mietha said, its all about the experience. the castle you explore is amazing, the whole environment and design of the game is just beautiful. sometimes its fun just to stop and look over the bridge, or whereever you happen to be

Sweet. I did pick it up, and now I'm looking forward to trying it out even more. I'll have to make do without surround sound though.

It's good. I just got around to playing through it for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I was impressed that it came out on the PS2 3-4 years ago. It holds up well over time. Music is noticably absent throughout much of the game; however, the few spots where there is music, it's very good. The puzzles weren't all that hard, and you should easily be able to get through the game in 8 hours. It has a surprisingly compelling story, even though there is very little dialog. People complain that it was too short, but I felt it was just right -- I got sick of dragging the girl around after awhile. I picked mine up new for 15 over a year ago, and it was well worth that. If you own a PS2, you should own this game.

Definitely worth the $10 thats for sure.

Its an amazing game, or as someone said, 'experience'.

But try to forget all the hype you may have read and just play it. Nothing can ruin a game faster than hype and expectations. Just play the game and judge it on its own merits.

For $10 new or used, you could certainly do a lot worse. Given its near cult status on many message boards, it's worth picking up just to see what everyone is talking about when this game's name comes up from time to time.

It's a good purchase for that price, the sets are jaw-dropping, and the puzzles are fairly entertaining. Combat is pretty repetitive and annoying though.

Ico and Katamari Damacy are my favorite games and the only games that receive my personal endorsement . :roll: ( You could probably guess why this isn't necessarily saying much.)

But seriously, I think playing Ico can be a beautiful and moving experience. I hope you enjoy it.

I thought it was crap. After experiencing the rabid fanboyism from people who never played it before (GAMEFAQS) I just said screw it. I'll just be playing games that are actually fun while you haul some retarded chick around in ICO.

It's OK. Probably 8/10. I don't understand why everyone thinks it is so beautiful graphically though - it looks dated and jaggie and blocky to me. The puzzles are very well done but if you are planning on playing with a guide then just skip it altoghether because you will get nothing out of it. I'd recommend it but it's not the greatest game in the world. I can think of at least 25 other games that are miles better this generation...

I was wondering when I might get some contrarian opinions. :lol:

As for game guides, I usually avoid them altogether unless I get completely stuck. Thanks for the advice!

ICO is definitely one of my favorite games on the PS2 (somewhere in the top 5) and probably one of my all time favorites. I just got SotC today and played up to beating the first colossus... So far I like ICO more but not by much.. and that might change considering I'm only 1/16th into the game.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Worth $50, easily. Definitely get it for $10.[/QUOTE]
At how short it is, and since to me there really isn't much replay value $50 would be too high, I'd say the most I would have paid is $20-25.

*shrugs* There's no use debating about it. Some people are not going to like it, and some people are. (I'm not pretentious enough to say the people who don't like it "don't get it" like many people out there in internet land...or am I?)

When people say the game is "beautiful" they're certainly speaking about more than just the graphics. Sure, it was graphically impressive to some extent at the time of it's release, but it was the FEEL of the game that was so compelling (story telling without words and all that jazz).

[quote name='Blind the Thief']*shrugs* There's no use debating about it. Some people are not going to like it, and some people are. (I'm not pretentious enough to say the people who don't like it "don't get it" like many people out there in internet land...or am I?)

When people say the game is "beautiful" they're certainly speaking about more than just the graphics. Sure, it was graphically impressive to some extent at the time of it's release, but it was the FEEL of the game that was so compelling (story telling without words and all that jazz).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. There's really no technical element that sets the game up for undeniable praise or complaint (though I think disliking the game for its combat is kinda unfair, since there's so little of it). The best I can do is say that while I've played plenty of games that were scary, or made me feel like a bad-ass, or even made me laugh, ICO is the only game I've ever played that made me feel ... lonely. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you'll appreciate the game.

[quote name='trq']ICO is the only game I've ever played that made me feel ... lonely. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you'll appreciate the game.[/QUOTE]

The cliche gamer stereotype suggests one is socially-inept enough to begin with that he/she probably doesn't need any extra help being alone or felling lonely. :D

[quote name='trq']Agreed. There's really no technical element that sets the game up for undeniable praise or complaint (though I think disliking the game for its combat is kinda unfair, since there's so little of it). The best I can do is say that while I've played plenty of games that were scary, or made me feel like a bad-ass, or even made me laugh, ICO is the only game I've ever played that made me feel ... lonely. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you'll appreciate the game.[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean. I think to the extent that you identify with Ico, a boy alone in a perilous, vast and barren world, you will find the game compelling. CheapyDad and I actually found the game very stressful at times because as novices, we weren't able to help Ico much in his determined and desparate attempts to complete his mission. I remember being hardly able to breathe at one point as poor Ico made countless attempts to jump high enough to scale a wall. Each time he fell I was pained. It was an emotional experience and probably not what everyone is looking for in a game. -Different strokes.... and all that, I guess.

It's rare to play a game that can link the level design so seamlessly with the story and gameplay mechanics.

IMHO the greatest accomplishment was keeping the gamer entertained by a very straightforward plot device - pitting him almost solely against a crumbling castle. Most of the other great games of this generation still had busy and convoluted but ultimately shallow plots ("save the presidents daughter by debugging the Eden AI with the key of light, but dont forget the beat-up hookers side mission etc")

It's the game that got me back into playing video games, and pardon the cliche, but I do believe that this game shows that videogames can be about more then just solving block puzzles, fetch quests, and blowing s**t up.

bread's done
Back